Trump is a BOSS!

12,252 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Golem
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Johnny Bear said:

It is insane that 73 years after the end of World War II the USA is still shouldering so much of the financial burden for the defense of the West along with the rest of the free world. It was understandable through the 60's or so, but after that there should have at least been a phasing in of increased cost sharing with Western Europe and other countries like Japan that never happened. Trump is the first POTUS we've had in that time period to have the guts to call out these countries that deserve to be called out on this issue.

100% dead on
Doc Holliday
bubbadog said:

riflebear said:

bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

At an issue level, no one should disagree with the POTUS on this. It's better for the US, it's even better long term for our allies, and it actually strengthens NATO overall. As it seems with everything having to do with this POTUS, it ends up being an argument over style and approach. I'm okay with some public ridicule and pressure as years of the diplomatic slow play hasn't been effective. I'd rather he be direct (even if uncomfortable) in a face to face situation than tweet out a bunch of shots across the bow.
and just pulled figures out of his ass.
He learned from the best...

There is a big difference between citing information that proves to be inaccurate later and deliberately making **** up. You get that, right?
Obama knew exactly what he was doing by rigging healthcare.
He got his money sources rich as hell and killed the market so that large insurance providers could own the market.

It wasn't a giant screw up...it was deliberate.

You have got to stop thinking politicians are actually in the game because they truly want to fix America.
bubbadog
ATL Bear said:

bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

At an issue level, no one should disagree with the POTUS on this. It's better for the US, it's even better long term for our allies, and it actually strengthens NATO overall. As it seems with everything having to do with this POTUS, it ends up being an argument over style and approach. I'm okay with some public ridicule and pressure as years of the diplomatic slow play hasn't been effective. I'd rather he be direct (even if uncomfortable) in a face to face situation than tweet out a bunch of shots across the bow.
And nobody really disagrees at an issue level, as far as I can tell. Trump isn't breaking new ground here; getting NATO allies to pay their share is a continuation of the policy of previous administrations.

Trump's style is loud, bullying diplomacy over quieter diplomacy. Sometimes there is a place for louder diplomacy.

But I think it's a mistake to dismiss this as merely a difference in style. At some point, the line between Trump's style and Trump's policies become very blurred. Here's what I mean. If Trump had simply been cajoling NATO members to increase their contributions, that would be one thing. But he goes way beyond that. He disparages the entire concept of NATO, to the point that the Europeans seriously believed he would not honor America's commitment to defend NATO members. He disparages the European Union, which makes allies nervous because NATO is also a union of mostly European states. He attacks our allies at levels that go beyond their NATO contributions. He says Russia is a competitor, not an adversary, which doesn't give the Baltic states (Estonia in particular) much confidence that the US will look out for them if Putin behaves aggressively (remember that the Russians already have launched a crippling cyber attack on Estonia). Trump may in his own mind view all these statements as nothing more than leverage to get NATO members to ramp up their defense spending, but these are all statements that have a bearing on US policy, or at least reflect the "thinking" of the administration that Trump leads, and that's why his "style" has broader implications.

Besides, as others have pointed out on this thread, the 2% commitment was for 2024 and, thus, none of the nations that aren't there yet are actually out of compliance. So when Trump claims they're deadbeats, he's lying, and our allies naturally resent being lied about in public.

And why would anyone trust Trump's figures anyway? This guy admits he lied about Canadian tariffs when he met Trudeau and just pulled figures out of his ass. Apparently, he doesn't understand or doesn't care that this admission of deliberate lying will affect his relations with every other ally.
Again, most of what you're citing is style not substance, feelings not actions. That is projecting what we "think" would happen based upon simple framing of sporadic dialogue and snippets. I can tell you most of our NATO allies don't view Russia as much an adversary as we are choosing to do. I also believe, even prior to Trump, that the NATO alliance needed to be rethought. Even Obama agreed with that. Obama also carried the "weak" moniker because NATO allies knew he would press them to take the lead on many NATO operations (Libya being one example). I believe that he didn't deserve that moniker for that particular approach.

The contribution levels have been consistently resisted and pushed back. The costs we bare regarding use of our bases and operations centers, intelligence, equipment, and manpower via NATO which is the reality of the claim of how much people ride our tails for defense. It's a huge percentage, like about 3/4's. But the interesting part is we're talking whether these nations have met minimums, meanwhile the US has been contributing much more than is required under NATO terms, which has allowed other countries to not put forth anything comparable. That should be rectified, and if that's not a deadbeat, it's certainly a leech as they take advantage of the largess of another.

Again, pressuring on payments has been a matter of style differences (which is not to say that those differences aren't important).

Questioning the value of the NATO alliance (Trump, remember, called it obsolete and wouldn't commit to mutual defense until events forced him to do so) is an issue that effects policy.

Obviously, some NATO countries perceive a level of threat from Russian differently than others. For Spain and Portugal, the threat is remote. For Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, and even Poland, it's existential. The Iberian Peninsula isn't really in Russia's sphere of interest, The Scandinavian Peninsula is. Russia is not behaving like a competitor when its jets and submarines show up in Sweden's territory. It's behaving like an adversary. It's how Russia is behaving toward every NATO country in which it has either a material interest or an interest in intervening in politics to try to splinter NATO or the EU.

I agree that NATO needed (past tense) to be re-thought. I go back to the end of the Cold War. Somebody with as much international experience as George HW Bush should have understood as well as anyone Russia's historic paranoia and its fear of Western Europe. Russia's hostile reaction to NATO expansion to its borders was predictable (it was the same reaction Ronald Reagan had to Russian influence in Nicaragua, "just hours from South Texas" even though it was several borders removed from the Rio Grande). Instead, we brought the former Warsaw Pact and SSRs into our protective sphere. A more imaginative approach -- one that I can see Ronald Reagan proposing -- was a structure that either allowed Russia to join NATO or the creation of a separate non-aggression agreement signed by Russia and NATO members. Instead, we kept Russia outside the tent, and the result were predictable.

But that's all past tense. It's neither here nor there now. We have to deal with the legacy of that earlier failure, but it's not something we can undo. Russia after communism did not have to become an adversary, but they're one now, and we have to deal with them on that basis. This doesn't mean we don't have common interests we can build on wherever possible. It also doesn't mean we publicly treat our allies like dog**** while our president metaphorically fellates the Russian dictator who is diametrically opposed to western democratic values.
Sam Lowry
tommie said:

GolemIII said:

tommie said:

riflebear said:

bubbadog said:

I feel sorry for Kay Bailey Hutchison.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/08/trump-making-impact-on-nato-as-allies-ramp-up-defense-spending-ambassador-kay-bailey-hutchison.html
She had some great words about Trump the other day.

"I've worked for three presidents, all of whom have said the same thing," Hutchison said. "Now, I think for the first time, we are really seeing the Europeans start going in the same direction. Every ally is now increasing defense spending -- we've had the largest increase in defense spending snce the Cold War."

They actually stared 4 years ago increasing their defense spending. Why? Because leaders can get you to what what's right and best AND leave you with dignity and value.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/world/europe/nato-trump-spending.html

Based on your own article it was Putin, not Obama that caused them to talk about spending the 2%.

"Only in 2014, after Russia annexed Crimea and intervened militarily in eastern Ukraine, did NATO leaders meeting in Wales agree to the 2 percent standard, and even then they urged members to "move toward" that goal by 2024, still seven years away."

You should try and be more honest.

Go with that. They've started increasing our spending since 2014. They've agreed to raise their spending to 2% by 2024.

How are they delinquent?
The 2% guideline goes all the way back to 2006. Germany is no closer now than they were then. Last month they announced that they were only aiming for 1.5% by 2024.
ATL Bear
bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

And nobody really disagrees at an issue level, as far as I can tell. Trump isn't breaking new ground here; getting NATO allies to pay their share is a continuation of the policy of previous administrations.

Trump's style is loud, bullying diplomacy over quieter diplomacy. Sometimes there is a place for louder diplomacy.

But I think it's a mistake to dismiss this as merely a difference in style. At some point, the line between Trump's style and Trump's policies become very blurred. Here's what I mean. If Trump had simply been cajoling NATO members to increase their contributions, that would be one thing. But he goes way beyond that. He disparages the entire concept of NATO, to the point that the Europeans seriously believed he would not honor America's commitment to defend NATO members. He disparages the European Union, which makes allies nervous because NATO is also a union of mostly European states. He attacks our allies at levels that go beyond their NATO contributions. He says Russia is a competitor, not an adversary, which doesn't give the Baltic states (Estonia in particular) much confidence that the US will look out for them if Putin behaves aggressively (remember that the Russians already have launched a crippling cyber attack on Estonia). Trump may in his own mind view all these statements as nothing more than leverage to get NATO members to ramp up their defense spending, but these are all statements that have a bearing on US policy, or at least reflect the "thinking" of the administration that Trump leads, and that's why his "style" has broader implications.

Besides, as others have pointed out on this thread, the 2% commitment was for 2024 and, thus, none of the nations that aren't there yet are actually out of compliance. So when Trump claims they're deadbeats, he's lying, and our allies naturally resent being lied about in public.

And why would anyone trust Trump's figures anyway? This guy admits he lied about Canadian tariffs when he met Trudeau and just pulled figures out of his ass. Apparently, he doesn't understand or doesn't care that this admission of deliberate lying will affect his relations with every other ally.
Again, most of what you're citing is style not substance, feelings not actions. That is projecting what we "think" would happen based upon simple framing of sporadic dialogue and snippets. I can tell you most of our NATO allies don't view Russia as much an adversary as we are choosing to do. I also believe, even prior to Trump, that the NATO alliance needed to be rethought. Even Obama agreed with that. Obama also carried the "weak" moniker because NATO allies knew he would press them to take the lead on many NATO operations (Libya being one example). I believe that he didn't deserve that moniker for that particular approach.

The contribution levels have been consistently resisted and pushed back. The costs we bare regarding use of our bases and operations centers, intelligence, equipment, and manpower via NATO which is the reality of the claim of how much people ride our tails for defense. It's a huge percentage, like about 3/4's. But the interesting part is we're talking whether these nations have met minimums, meanwhile the US has been contributing much more than is required under NATO terms, which has allowed other countries to not put forth anything comparable. That should be rectified, and if that's not a deadbeat, it's certainly a leech as they take advantage of the largess of another.

Again, pressuring on payments has been a matter of style differences (which is not to say that those differences aren't important).

Questioning the value of the NATO alliance (Trump, remember, called it obsolete and wouldn't commit to mutual defense until events forced him to do so) is an issue that effects policy.

Obviously, some NATO countries perceive a level of threat from Russian differently than others. For Spain and Portugal, the threat is remote. For Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, and even Poland, it's existential. The Iberian Peninsula isn't really in Russia's sphere of interest, The Scandinavian Peninsula is. Russia is not behaving like a competitor when its jets and submarines show up in Sweden's territory. It's behaving like an adversary. It's how Russia is behaving toward every NATO country in which it has either a material interest or an interest in intervening in politics to try to splinter NATO or the EU.

I agree that NATO needed (past tense) to be re-thought. I go back to the end of the Cold War. Somebody with as much international experience as George HW Bush should have understood as well as anyone Russia's historic paranoia and its fear of Western Europe. Russia's hostile reaction to NATO expansion to its borders was predictable (it was the same reaction Ronald Reagan had to Russian influence in Nicaragua, "just hours from South Texas" even though it was several borders removed from the Rio Grande). Instead, we brought the former Warsaw Pact and SSRs into our protective sphere. A more imaginative approach -- one that I can see Ronald Reagan proposing -- was a structure that either allowed Russia to join NATO or the creation of a separate non-aggression agreement signed by Russia and NATO members. Instead, we kept Russia outside the tent, and the result were predictable.

But that's all past tense. It's neither here nor there now. We have to deal with the legacy of that earlier failure, but it's not something we can undo. Russia after communism did not have to become an adversary, but they're one now, and we have to deal with them on that basis. This doesn't mean we don't have common interests we can build on wherever possible. It also doesn't mean we publicly treat our allies like dog**** while our president metaphorically fellates the Russian dictator who is diametrically opposed to western democratic values.
I think we can and should rethink NATO and our relationship with Russia, and I don't believe it's too late either. And as far as our allies treatment is concerned, decades of coddling is also not the requirement either. They have given us "tough love", and continue to give it to us in the areas of trade, military action, and diplomacy. A little back at them isn't a bad thing.
curtpenn
bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

You say this as if the American left/Democrats aren't also "diametrically opposed to western democratic values".
bubbadog
ATL Bear said:

I think we can and should rethink NATO and our relationship with Russia, and I don't believe it's too late either.
Theoretically, no. Practically speaking, yes. Timing matters as much as intent. During the 1960s, JFK and LBJ could not have reopened a relationship with China even if they had wanted to because Republicans had blamed Democrats for "losing China" ever since the Truman administration. After that, any overture to China by a Democrat would have been attacked as "being soft on China" and was politically untenable. For this reason, had Hubert Humphrey won in 1968, he could not have gone to China either. Only an old cold warrior like Nixon, as the saying goes, could go to China.

The same dynamic now applies to Russia and Trump. No matter what the Mueller investigation reveals, we already know enough about Trump's bizarre political and business relationships with Russia (which goes way beyond what you'd expect from somebody merely trying to improve strategic relations) to see that Trump can't change the adversarial relationship with Russia without provoking a political firestorm and without raising serious questions about whether he is actually putting America first. As with Nixon and China, doing a deal with Russia may require someone who has never been cozy with the Russians. George HW Bush could have done it. Maybe even W could have done it. I don't think Trump or even Pence can do it and sell it back here.

It also takes a partner to do a deal. I recall that Obama went in with the same intentions that Trump professes. His "reset" never got anywhere because Putin refused to accept a status quo with NATO on his borders and poised to expand into Ukraine and even beyond Europe into Georgia. Putin actually might be more amenable to a deal now because he knows that it would contribute to destabilizing NATO and the EU, which is in his interest but wasn't on the table before. I have no doubt that Mattis and the career State Department people are saying that very thing to Trump's inner circle, which probably only reinforces in Trump's mind that he should do a deal with Putin.
Doc Holliday
Trump is more popular than most NATO country leaders (who think they're better than he is).
bubbadog
curtpenn said:

bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

You say this as if the American left/Democrats aren't also "diametrically opposed to western democratic values".
Yes, I do say that.
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

bubbadog said:

I feel sorry for Kay Bailey Hutchison.
I don't feel sorry for her, she's never been around an alpha with actual balls.

She is clearly turned on.
Enough. She's a friend of mine. Uncalled for and classless.
Jack and DP
Winning
cinque
riflebear said:

bubbadog said:

Johnny Bear said:

Trump is the first POTUS we've had in that time period to have the guts to call out these countries that deserve to be called out on this issue.
Factually incorrect.
He's the first President getting results because he's doing it in public & not behind closed doors.
This notion that he's getting [good] results is what I find so stupefying. Can you explain this whole results fantasy?
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

Trump is more popular than most NATO country leaders (who think they're better than he is).

Doubt it.

Trump is demanding NATO honor their defense agreements. Also insisting on legitimate 'free trade' agreements .

Could result in higher costs for the folks in NATO countries .
cinque
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Politicians thinking that the real negotiations and talk weren't going to start yet since the press was in the room, and Trump just says "f__k that lets go right now" and takes it to the EU and specifically Germany - WOW!'

I've never seen anyone speak truth and defend America like that against other global decision makers. Trump just put on a clinic on how to fight for American interests. He lets Germany talk their BS than INSTANTLY calls out the money that Germany is paying Russia for energy, and points out how Germany's former chancellor is profiting off of the deal, and asks why we should pay to protect Germany from Russia while Germany is enriching their so-called enemy.

Seriously, they had to kick the press out of the room because it got too real too fast.
This is our president. He loves America.

God bless America.

God bless Trump.

Although I'm not a Trump fan, I'll give him credit when it is due. He is right to call out the NATO members that are not carrying their share.

According to NATO's own figures, just 5 of the 28 alliance members meet the requirement agreed upon in 2006 that members spend at least 2 percent of their GDP on defense.
Time http://time.com/4680885/nato-defense-spending-budget-trump/
Watching the reactions of the Americans present in that room is sad and painful. Kelly is squirming uncomfortably and KBH looks like somebody just died. It's clear they're embarrassed and they should be. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if many in MS's entourage weren't reminding our allies that he won't be president forever and encourage them to hang in there.
Booray
If history is any guide, pushing the Germans to spend more on their military might not be the best idea.
Canada2017
Yeah the American taxpayer such be proud to pay billions more for Europe's defense....after all we've only been doing it for 75 years.
Canada2017
Booray said:

If history is any guide, pushing the Germans to spend more on their military might not be the best idea.

Fair comment.

Then why don't just pull our forces out....and let Europeans deal with their own defense ?
ATL Bear
bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

I think we can and should rethink NATO and our relationship with Russia, and I don't believe it's too late either.
Theoretically, no. Practically speaking, yes. Timing matters as much as intent. During the 1960s, JFK and LBJ could not have reopened a relationship with China even if they had wanted to because Republicans had blamed Democrats for "losing China" ever since the Truman administration. After that, any overture to China by a Democrat would have been attacked as "being soft on China" and was politically untenable. For this reason, had Hubert Humphrey won in 1968, he could not have gone to China either. Only an old cold warrior like Nixon, as the saying goes, could go to China.

The same dynamic now applies to Russia and Trump. No matter what the Mueller investigation reveals, we already know enough about Trump's bizarre political and business relationships with Russia (which goes way beyond what you'd expect from somebody merely trying to improve strategic relations) to see that Trump can't change the adversarial relationship with Russia without provoking a political firestorm and without raising serious questions about whether he is actually putting America first. As with Nixon and China, doing a deal with Russia may require someone who has never been cozy with the Russians. George HW Bush could have done it. Maybe even W could have done it. I don't think Trump or even Pence can do it and sell it back here.

It also takes a partner to do a deal. I recall that Obama went in with the same intentions that Trump professes. His "reset" never got anywhere because Putin refused to accept a status quo with NATO on his borders and poised to expand into Ukraine and even beyond Europe into Georgia. Putin actually might be more amenable to a deal now because he knows that it would contribute to destabilizing NATO and the EU, which is in his interest but wasn't on the table before. I have no doubt that Mattis and the career State Department people are saying that very thing to Trump's inner circle, which probably only reinforces in Trump's mind that he should do a deal with Putin.
That's the politics of the situation, steeped in a prism of decades old policy perspective, not the objective situation in the modern world. I'm not saying I disagree that people feel the way you describe around Trump and/or diplomacy/relations toward Russia, only that it is our own limitations that prevent progress. You don't need to make peace and concessions to allies, you do it with enemies and adversaries. What is unfortunately happening is people are wanting to build Russia into a BIGGER enemy/adversary as a counter to a POTUS and admin they don't like or agree with. That is precisely why Trump makes the MOST sense as someone to pull off the unthinkable. And precisely what will be used against him every time he looks to "reset" with our allies and our adversaries. Having someone familiar with the opposite party was always considered a good thing in negotiations, diplomacy, etc. in the past, or pre-Trump I should say. It's the fact it is a private business relationship, and not a public/government role that has people concerned looking more suspect. I find that interesting as if the power of government isn't used as currency and capital for personal gain. I'm glad we're pushing the acceptance of staid thinking around alliances, allies, treaties, and adversaries. That is a good that Trump brings, even if his toxic nature makes it difficult to "close the deal".
cinque
Trump is trying to use the same tactic he employs with his base when making fools of them. He takes his weakness and projects it on to his adversaries. He knows the world sees him as a compromised Putin boot licker and what does he do? Accuses Merkel of being a Putin lackey. It's amazing how his base buys his bs hook, line and sinker.
Booray
Canada2017 said:

Booray said:

Fair comment.

Then why don't just pull our forces out....and let Europeans deal with their own defense ?

Good question. The president's tweet had 2 components: (1) our NATO allies need to spend more and (2) we need to spend less. It's worth remembering that just as our allies level of spending is not "contractual" neither is how much we spend.

In other words we can unilaterally reduce our level of commitment. We have never done that because we have always judged the benefits greater than the costs. Not saying that analysis was or is right, just saying that the imbalance he is addressing is also of our own making.
Johnny Bear
Booray said:

Apples and oranges.

The present day conditions in their country as well as Europe in general are nothing like the conditions that existed before each of the two World Wars that led to Germany's military build up and mobilization. Also, the country has long since abandoned its prior tradition of having autocratic, dictatorial forms of government influenced by or even dominated by the military and has demonstrated over a long period of time that it is no longer an aggressive threat to its neighbors or the world in general. It is additionally unquestionably a wealthy enough country to be far more responsible for its own defense which has been the case for some time. They along with much of the rest of NATO have become like the lazy 30 something year old that is still living with his parents and expecting them to take care of him like he's still a kid. Time for these countries to "grow up" at least figuratively speaking.
Sam Lowry

ATL Bear said:

Having someone familiar with the opposite party was always considered a good thing in negotiations, diplomacy, etc. in the past, or pre-Trump I should say. It's the fact it is a private business relationship, and not a public/government role that has people concerned looking more suspect. I find that interesting as if the power of government isn't used as currency and capital for personal gain. I'm glad we're pushing the acceptance of staid thinking around alliances, allies, treaties, and adversaries. That is a good that Trump brings, even if his toxic nature makes it difficult to "close the deal".

It's not even an unusual relationship. The news media have Americans thinking that Trump must be the only one doing business over there, but in fact his dealings are fairly modest.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2016/08/03/headline-halah-t/#6efa98f5f991

cinque
YoakDaddy said:

I like it how he clearly has that Secretary General very nervous and almost scared. Trump is just the BOSS.
Chuckle, of what?
bubbadog
ATL Bear said:

That's the politics of the situation, steeped in a prism of decades old policy perspective, not the objective situation in the modern world.
The objective situation is that Russia under Putin is not going to return to a non-adversarial relationship with the US as long as NATO "infringes" on what the Russians regard as their sphere of influence/control in Eastern Europe. Having that sphere has been a linchpin of Russian policy since 1945. Putin may not act against the Baltic nations or what remains of Ukraine, but he will never be anything but an adversary as long as we're in those places. Second, Putin needs us as an adversary for the same basic reason the Iranian mullahs do: an external threat to appeal to nationalism and distract people from the sorry state of things in their own economies.
Booray
Johnny Bear said:

Booray said:

Apples and oranges.

The present day conditions in their country as well as Europe in general are nothing like the conditions that existed before each of the two World Wars that led to Germany's military build up and mobilization. Also, the country has long since abandoned its prior tradition of having autocratic, dictatorial forms of government influenced by or even dominated by the military and has demonstrated over a long period of time that it is no longer an aggressive threat to its neighbors or the world in general. It is additionally unquestionably a wealthy enough country to be far more responsible for its own defense which has been the case for some time. They along with much of the rest of NATO have become like the lazy 30 something year old that is still living with his parents and expecting them to take care of him like he's still a kid. Time for these countries to "grow up" at least figuratively speaking.

My point was a little bit tongue in cheek. But realize the less dependent in the US the allies are, the less likely they are to do things we want them to do.

The only time the mutual defense provision has actually been invoked, it was the Europeans helping us, not the other way around.
riflebear
ATL Bear
Booray said:

The EU has succeeded in effectively neutering most of the former Axis and Allied powers, sans Russia.
riflebear
cinque said:

riflebear said:

bubbadog said:

Johnny Bear said:

Trump is the first POTUS we've had in that time period to have the guts to call out these countries that deserve to be called out on this issue.
Factually incorrect.
He's the first President getting results because he's doing it in public & not behind closed doors.
This notion that he's getting [good] results is what I find so stupefying. Can you explain this whole results fantasy?
Oh I don't know, maybe if you would read the thread you are participating in you might get your answer since this was already posted. Is the United States NATO rep (Kay Bailey Hutchison) good enough for ya?

"I've worked for three presidents, all of whom have said the same thing," Hutchison said. "Now, I think for the first time, we are really seeing the Europeans start going in the same direction. Every ally is now increasing defense spending -- we've had the largest increase in defense spending snce the Cold War."
Booray
riflebear said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

bubbadog said:

Johnny Bear said:

Factually incorrect.
Oh I don't know, maybe if you would read the thread you are participating in you might get your answer since this was already posted. Is the United States NATO rep (Kay Bailey Hutchison) good enough for ya?

When did the Allies decide to increase their spending? Correlation does not always equal causation.
Booray
riflebear said:

Are all 88 members of the US Senate who voted for the Pro-NATO resolution bleeding heart liberals?
cinque
riflebear said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

bubbadog said:

Johnny Bear said:

Factually incorrect.

When did allies begin increasing defense spending?
ATL Bear
bubbadog said:

ATL Bear said:

That's the politics of the situation, steeped in a prism of decades old policy perspective, not the objective situation in the modern world.
The objective situation is that Russia under Putin is not going to return to a non-adversarial relationship with the US as long as NATO "infringes" on what the Russians regard as their sphere of influence/control in Eastern Europe. Having that sphere has been a linchpin of Russian policy since 1945. Putin may not act against the Baltic nations or what remains of Ukraine, but he will never be anything but an adversary as long as we're in those places. Second, Putin needs us as an adversary for the same basic reason the Iranian mullahs do: an external threat to appeal to nationalism and distract people from the sorry state of things in their own economies.
That's an opinion presented as an object fact. They've never seen a willingness to rethink NATO from the US before, so it's naive to think they wouldn't rethink the relationship with the US in that light. And sanctions rarely help an economy if we're being honest. Just ask Iran.
riflebear
cinque said:

riflebear said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

bubbadog said:

Johnny Bear said:

Factually incorrect.

When did allies begin increasing defense spending?
So Kay is lying? LOL

Since you only do picture or pop up books here is a better way of explaining it to you in a 3rd grade sort of way.

Pre Trump...

Post Vocal Trump: (same picture could be used to explain all the cash Obama gave Iran)

Sam Lowry
Booray said:

riflebear said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

bubbadog said:

Johnny Bear said:

Factually incorrect.

When did the Allies decide to increase their spending? Correlation does not always equal causation.
See the first two minutes of video in the OP. The NATO Secretary General attributes it to President Trump's leadership.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

Johnny Bear said:

Booray said:

Apples and oranges.

My point was a little bit tongue in cheek. But realize the less dependent in the US the allies are, the less likely they are to do things we want them to do.

The only time the mutual defense provision has actually been invoked, it was the Europeans helping us, not the other way around.
We've always shown a willingness to help our allies from a military perspective, and once we're on board, NATO is relatively meaningless. So it's no shock that we'd be the only one needed to invoke the mutual defense provision. That's one of the arguments for the obsolescence of NATO. Of course, most jumped ship when we were building up to Iraq.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.