White privilege?

57,962 Views | 600 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Waco1947
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doesn't exist...just an excuse for failure

fadskier
If you believe in white privilege, debunk his statistics....
cinque
Can't. I blocked him.
Make Racism Wrong Again
YoakDaddy
#fakenews justification from the left to lay failure blame on anyone but themselves.
cinque
YoakDaddy said:

#fakenews justification from the left to lay failure blame on anyone but themselves.
It's not fake news to assert that you're oblivious to your attendant white privilege until it's no longer there.
Make Racism Wrong Again
YoakDaddy
cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

It's not fake news to assert that you're oblivious to your attendant white privilege until it's no longer there.

Being white (or brown or black or pink or purple) has zero bearing. I had equal opportunity as the kids of color in my hometown. I chose to go to study hard, chose to go to college, chose to get a job, chose to go to church, etc. We had the same opportunities and same choices; therefore, white privilege is a bullshlt excuse and lays blame of failure on others.
fadskier
Don't know what cinque wrote because he's on ignore but I'm willing to bet he refuted no facts presented by Ben Shapiro...usually it's a deflect
Baylor3216
Some people just crush it

Some can and don't. Some can and won't. Some can't.

The choice is yours.

imprison your mind and you make it that much easier for those that crush it.

Be free

It's all right there for you and all of us

Keep on crushin

Can you hear the people sing!
cinque
Somebody needs to fad that he's supposed not to care about I post since I'm on ignore.
bubbadog
YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

Being white (or brown or black or pink or purple) has zero bearing. I had equal opportunity as the kids of color in my hometown. I chose to go to study hard, chose to go to college, chose to get a job, chose to go to church, etc. We had the same opportunities and same choices; therefore, white privilege is a bullshlt excuse and lays blame of failure on others.
That's what I always thought, too. I never felt privileged. We were lower middle class. We worked hard for everything.

But did you know that the GI Bill originally did not apply to African-Americans? I didn't until a couple of years ago. And in a way, that gave me an advantage when I got my first job out of Baylor, even though the GI Bill didn't directly apply to me.

Out of BU, I looked for jobs with newspapers. But I was at a disadvantage and didn't know any better. Journalism had been one of my majors, but I didn't bother working for the Lariat during the year more than was required. (Didn't care for Sharon Grigsby, who was one of the editors.) And I couldn't afford to take an unpaid summer internship because whatever I earned working in the summer had to be my spending money during the school year. So I came out of school without much of anything on my resume, nor many actual newspaper samples to show an editor.

But thanks to the GI Bill, my father and my uncle were the first in their families to go to college. They never could have afforded it otherwise. And because they had gone to college they had a professional network that non-college grads didn't have. My uncle had gone to school with a guy who was good friends with a big sports editor. He got his old college buddy to put in a word for me, and that got me in the door. He probably never would have even given my resume a second look otherwise. Once I got in the door, it was up to me, and I got the job. So I didn't feel especially privileged.

But the point is that a black guy with the same resume as mine and the same talent as me would have had a harder time getting into that door. His father wouldn't have been able to go to college on the GI Bill, so he wouldn't have had the network of college friends that my uncle had.

Would you call that white privilege? I don't see how you couldn't. But I never felt privileged. I wasn't even aware of it. That's how it works. And it's still out there in various forms. Few of them are obvious.

My best friend in HS got in a world of legal trouble. He and his girlfriend were part of a theft ring where they had a connection inside a department store who would let them "buy" stuff and ring it up for a tiny fraction of the actual cost. They stole hundreds of dollars worth of stuff (in 1970s dollars) in this way. They weren't hard up. My friend's father had a good white-collar job and a nice house. When they got caught, they could have faced felony charges. But my friend's father could afford a lawyer, and they worked out an arrangement to give or pay back what they had stolen. The charges were reduced and it didn't affect their record. My friend is now a tech executive, and his girlfriend (now wife) went on to be a schoolteacher.

Think things would have turned out that way had they been black and unable to afford a decent lawyer? I don't. And having a felony on their records would have changed their career prospects. Call it something other than white privilege if you want, but the reality is that my friends were able to get different treatment than someone with dark skin in that town would have gotten.
cinque
YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

Yeah, I did those same things. Privilege redounds to you in ways that you never see. There was little chance of your resume ever being thrown in the trash because of your black sounding name.
Make Racism Wrong Again
fadskier
bubbadog said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

That's what I always thought, too. I never felt privileged. We were lower middle class. We worked hard for everything.

But did you know that the GI Bill originally did not apply to African-Americans? I didn't until a couple of years ago. And in a way, that gave me an advantage when I got my first job out of Baylor, even though the GI Bill didn't directly apply to me.

Out of BU, I looked for jobs with newspapers. But I was at a disadvantage and didn't know any better. Journalism had been one of my majors, but I didn't bother working for the Lariat during the year more than was required. (Didn't care for Sharon Grigsby, who was one of the editors.) And I couldn't afford to take an unpaid summer internship because whatever I earned working in the summer had to be my spending money during the school year. So I came out of school without much of anything on my resume, nor many actual newspaper samples to show an editor.

But thanks to the GI Bill, my father and my uncle were the first in their families to go to college. They never could have afforded it otherwise. And because they had gone to college they had a professional network that non-college grads didn't have. My uncle had gone to school with a guy who was good friends with a big sports editor. He got his old college buddy to put in a word for me, and that got me in the door. He probably never would have even given my resume a second look otherwise. Once I got in the door, it was up to me, and I got the job. So I didn't feel especially privileged.

But the point is that a black guy with the same resume as mine and the same talent as me would have had a harder time getting into that door. His father wouldn't have been able to go to college on the GI Bill, so he wouldn't have had the network of college friends that my uncle had.

Would you call that white privilege? I don't see how you couldn't. But I never felt privileged. I wasn't even aware of it. That's how it works. And it's still out there in various forms. Few of them are obvious.

My best friend in HS got in a world of legal trouble. He and his girlfriend were part of a theft ring where they had a connection inside a department store who would let them "buy" stuff and ring it up for a tiny fraction of the actual cost. They stole hundreds of dollars worth of stuff (in 1970s dollars) in this way. They weren't hard up. My friend's father had a good white-collar job and a nice house. When they got caught, they could have faced felony charges. But my friend's father could afford a lawyer, and they worked out an arrangement to give or pay back what they had stolen. The charges were reduced and it didn't affect their record. My friend is now a tech executive, and his girlfriend (now wife) went on to be a schoolteacher.

Think things would have turned out that way had they been black and unable to afford a decent lawyer? I don't. And having a felony on their records would have changed their career prospects. Call it something other than white privilege if you want, but the reality is that my friends were able to get different treatment than someone with dark skin in that town would have gotten.
That's anecdotal but I'll play. Neither of my parents went to college...was on food stamps at one time. I'm part Anglo. I went to Baylor. Paid for it. Worked three jobs all four years at BU. Where was my 1/2 white privilege?

Are you assuming black people cant afford lawyers? Are you assuming black people have not been given second chances? Maybe it wasn't the color of skin but they were well known...there could be lots of reasons, don't just jump to the easiest one.
cinque
fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

I#fakenews justification from the left to lay failure blame on anyone but themselves.

That's anecdotal but I'll play. Neither of my parents went to college...was on food stamps at one time. I'm part Anglo. I went to Baylor. Paid for it. Worked three jobs all four years at BU. Where was my 1/2 white privilege?

Are you assuming black people cant afford lawyers? Are you assuming black people have not been given second chances? Maybe it wasn't the color of skin but they were well known...there could be lots of reasons, don't just jump to the easiest one.

Ted Cruz?
Make Racism Wrong Again
fadskier
Cinque, are you really that dumb? You're ignored...no idea what lies and deflection you are writing.
cinque
fadskier said:

Cinque, are you really that dumb? You're ignored...no idea what lies and deflection you are writing.

Stop lying.
Make Racism Wrong Again
fadskier
The answer to my question is yes, you are.
cinque
fadskier said:

The answer to my question is yes, you are.
Why have you only acknowledged your "white half" in this forum?
Make Racism Wrong Again
Buddha Bear
fadskier said:

If you believe in white privilege, debunk his statistics....
His first point has some merit.

He's cherry picking the justice system statistics though. Anyone who's got a black friend knows the story of that time that they got pulled over and grilled by the cops for no reason. We've got more people in prison than any country on earth (as a whole and per capita). It's not because we have more bad people.

I live in Asia. I do believe that everyone has a good chance of success in America regardless of your race. But I can't help but look around where I live in this part of the world and notice that I've never seen a black expat.

There is some privilege to being white abroad, that is for sure.
quash
To deny white privilege is to show that you don't understand it. It is rarely some whites only freebie, it's usually the privilege not to have to do something.

We've had these discussions before, nobody changes their mind.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
ScottS
For the record I am white.
fadskier
quash said:

To deny white privilege is to show that you don't understand it. It is rarely some whites only freebie, it's usually the privilege not to have to do something.

No, to deny white privilege means you dismiss an excuse of failure. Keep mired! 70% of Black children being raised by single mothers was not caused by whites. Face it, it's a blame game and the African-American country doesn't want to take responsibility. Why is it that the poverty level for two-parent black families is 7% but for single parent anglo families is 22%? Is that white privilege? No, again, it's an excuse to explain explain failure or give an excuse not to succeed.

I'm mixed race...btw.
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

No, to deny white privilege means you dismiss an excuse of failure. Keep mired! 70% of Black children being raised by single mothers was not caused by whites. Face it, it's a blame game and the African-American country doesn't want to take responsibility. Why is it that the poverty level for two-parent black families is 7% but for single parent anglo families is 22%? Is that white privilege? No, again, it's an excuse to explain explain failure or give an excuse not to succeed.

I'm mixed race...btw.

You are attacking a point I never made. Try integrity.

And your ethnic make up is irrelevant.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

Nope. Blacks have a significant disadvantage because a vast majority are raised by single mothers. It's not white privilege, it's black fathers. White's have nothing to do with it.
Edmond Bear
bubbadog said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

Outside of the GI Bill, aren't your other examples related to wealth and not race?
fadskier
Edmond Bear said:

bubbadog said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

Outside of the GI Bill, aren't your other examples related to wealth and not race?

If I have anything, it's that. I don't look at people's skin color, but I do look at the condition of their home, cars and lawn. I don't care what color you are, just don't be trashy.
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

Nope. Blacks have a significant disadvantage because a vast majority are raised by single mothers. It's not white privilege, it's black fathers. White's have nothing to do with it.

You don't i understand what white privilege is. You keep describing what it is not.

And you're half white, I know.
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

You don't i understand what white privilege is. You keep describing what it is not.

Ok, educate me. What is it and how did/do I benefit from it?
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

Educate yourself. You lie about me, why would you believe me?
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

Don't divert. YOU are the one saying it exists. YOU have to prove that it does. Unless you can't, then you are just deflecting.

So, I'll ask again, if it is not related to what I described, what is it and how did I or do I benefit from it?
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

Don't divert. YOU are the one saying it exists. YOU have to prove that it does. Unless you can't, then you are just deflecting.

So, I'll ask again, if it is not related to what I described, what is it and how did I or do I benefit from it?

Seriously, educate yourself. You can open your mind easier than I can.
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

I have. I've read alot, obviously listened alot...and read research. It doesn't exist. Funny how when you ask someone about a generalization such as white privilege, they can't explain it. They deflect because they don't know what it is themselves OR they cant refute the facts that have been given them.

If you can't explain white privilege and give examples of how someone is benefiting from it, then you either don't know what it is or it doesn't exist. It doesn't exist...the term came from a research paper from a white woman that was not peer reviewed. If you believe it exists, then prove it and provide examples. Otherwise, shut up and go look for a job or something to add meaning to your life instead of making excuses for failure.
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

I have. I've read alot, obviously listened alot...and read research. It doesn't exist. Funny how when you ask someone about a generalization such as white privilege, they can't explain it. They deflect because they don't know what it is themselves OR they cant refute the facts that have been given them.

If you can't explain white privilege and give examples of how someone is benefiting from it, then you either don't know what it is or it doesn't exist. It doesn't exist...the term came from a research paper from a white woman that was not peer reviewed. If you believe it exists, then prove it and provide examples. Otherwise, shut up and go look for a job or something to add meaning to your life instead of making excuses for failure.

My bad, your mind is more closed than I thought.
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

I'm mixed race...btw.

My bad, your mind is more closed than I thought.
It doesn't exist. You can't explain it. Thanks for proving my point. Adios!
Sam Lowry
Redlining and credit discrimination are two examples, in addition to the mass incarceration we discussed on another thread.
fadskier
Sam Lowry said:

Redlining and credit discrimination are two examples, in addition to the mass incarceration we discussed on another thread.
Credit discrimination?
Redlining?

Can you explain those?

When are we mass incarcerating people? White cops are round up black en mass and putting them into prisons? I had not heard that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.