Trump: Obamacare to be gone 'pretty soon'

1,163 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mitch Blood Green
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
President Trump said Thursday that Obamacare is being repealed "piecemeal" and that the healthcare law is "going to be gone pretty soon."

Trump delivered his comments at a Cabinet meeting after getting an update from Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta on the implementation of association health plans, which are cheaper than Obamacare insurance plans but offer fewer benefits. Trump has repeatedly said the healthcare law is essentially dead even though Congress has failed to fully repeal it.

"We actually got rid of Obamacare except for one vote so we are doing it piecemeal," Trump said, referring to the narrow defeat of repeal in the Senate last year. "It's going to be gone pretty soon."

Earlier this year, the Trump administration expanded the pool of people who can access association health plans, which allow individuals and small businesses to band together to buy insurance.

Obamacare allies and Democrats have said association health plans and the expansion of the duration of short-term plans could destabilize Obamacare's exchanges. Trump expanded the duration of short-term plans, which are also cheaper because they don't have to cover as many benefits as Obamacare plans, from 90 days to 12 months.

Democrats have said that the moves to expand access to both plans, in addition to the repeal of the individual mandate financial penalty in 2019, are acts of "sabotage" intended to undermine the healthcare law.

Acosta said that a number of local chambers of commerce have started to get association health plans and are in the process of offering them to small businesses.

"For a rule that is just weeks old we are already seeing implementation and quite a bit of excitement," he said.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/trump-obamacare-to-be-gone-pretty-soon
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
J.R.
That's just great, but what is the replacement plan? He ain't go one.
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

President Trump said Thursday that Obamacare is being repealed "piecemeal" and that the healthcare law is "going to be gone pretty soon."

Trump delivered his comments at a Cabinet meeting after getting an update from Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta on the implementation of association health plans, which are cheaper than Obamacare insurance plans but offer fewer benefits. Trump has repeatedly said the healthcare law is essentially dead even though Congress has failed to fully repeal it.

"We actually got rid of Obamacare except for one vote so we are doing it piecemeal," Trump said, referring to the narrow defeat of repeal in the Senate last year. "It's going to be gone pretty soon."

Earlier this year, the Trump administration expanded the pool of people who can access association health plans, which allow individuals and small businesses to band together to buy insurance.

Obamacare allies and Democrats have said association health plans and the expansion of the duration of short-term plans could destabilize Obamacare's exchanges. Trump expanded the duration of short-term plans, which are also cheaper because they don't have to cover as many benefits as Obamacare plans, from 90 days to 12 months.

Democrats have said that the moves to expand access to both plans, in addition to the repeal of the individual mandate financial penalty in 2019, are acts of "sabotage" intended to undermine the healthcare law.

Acosta said that a number of local chambers of commerce have started to get association health plans and are in the process of offering them to small businesses.

"For a rule that is just weeks old we are already seeing implementation and quite a bit of excitement," he said.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/trump-obamacare-to-be-gone-pretty-soon
Why didn't he announce the replacement?
Make Racism Wrong Again
Doc Holliday
J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
robby44
cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

Why didn't he announce the replacement?

Because there isn't one and there is never going to be one
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.
Republicans are without peer when it comes to undoing and tearing down stuff, but they aren't worth a damn when it comes to inspiring and building up.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Doc Holliday
cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.
Republicans are without peer when it comes to undoing and tearing down stuff, but they aren't worth a damn when it comes to inspiring and building up.
This is Trump. He gets things done.

Remember when you said he wouldn't get the tax cut through and he did?

and of course he's going to tear it down, Obamacare was a disaster! But what do you expect, he was the worst president in history.
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.

and of course he's going to tear it down, Obamacare was a disaster! But what do you expect, he was the worst president in history.

Stop lying. I never said he wouldn't get the tax heist done because I can count. Do you need me to repost Trump's unfulfilled health care promises?
Make Racism Wrong Again
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.

You are right. His stab at Healthcare reform was a rousing success!!
Johnny Bear
The replacement? Two words: PRIVATE SECTOR.
Johnny Bear
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.

By the time Trump is done, Obama will be little more than a footnote in history. And if not for the fact that it's mostly liberals that write history, he wouldn't even be that much.
cinque
Johnny Bear said:

Sadly, that will be about the extent of it. Hope you don't have any preexisting conditions or aren't opposed to life time maximums. You cons...I tell ya'
Make Racism Wrong Again
robby44
cinque said:

Johnny Bear said:

Sadly, that will be about the extent of it. Hope you don't have any preexisting conditions or aren't opposed to life time maximums. You cons...I tell ya'

Folks will never realize the impact of lifetime maximums until they know someone close whose life was hit by it. I witnessed a coworker go through it with cancer. It's very ugly
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.
"I bet he has one"? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?
bubbadog
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.
"I bet he has one"? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?
He would have to be, like, not dumb to realize it sounds dumb.
bubbadog
If Trump is out there spouting this, it will be interesting to see how Republicans running for election this fall react. Polling has shown all year that healthcare (specifically, concerns about repealing Obamacare) is the top issue for potential Democratic voters. Democrat strategists have been concerned that their candidates aren't talking about this enough and talking too much about Russia, which doesn't rank nearly as high as a voter concern. Trump may have come along and handed them a gift.
Buddha Bear
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.

In this case, he gets things undone.
Buddha Bear
Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.

By the time Trump is done, Obama will be little more than a footnote in history. And if not for the fact that it's mostly liberals that write history, he wouldn't even be that much.
Why do only liberals write history? Are conservatives that terrible at writing? Last time I looked, schools aren't teaching Howard Zinn.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

It is Congress that needs to come up with a replacement plan,- this is not something Trump can do all by himself. I fear that the country and both parties have become SO polarized that a replacement plan in any form or fashion is years away. I don't see the bickering, boasting, and grandstanding coming to an end any time soon and the American people will suffer because of it.

This sucks for me personally because I would really like to retire, but I have a ten year gap before I am eligible for Medicare. Because of the need for medical insurance for myself and my family, I will keep working. Can't afford not to have it.
J.R.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

It is Congress that needs to come up with a replacement plan,- this is not something Trump can do all by himself. I fear that the country and both parties have become SO polarized that a replacement plan in any form or fashion is years away. I don't see the bickering, boasting, and grandstanding coming to an end any time soon and the American people will suffer because of it.

This sucks for me personally because I would really like to retire, but I have a ten year gap before I am eligible for Medicare. Because of the need for medical insurance for myself and my family, I will keep working. Can't afford not to have it.
I do not disagree at all. It is congress's responsibility. Unfortunately, they won't do it cuz to many hands in the cookie jar. Too many lobbyists. Too much $ at stake. The Trumps does need to show leadership on the issue, which has not to date. His first attempt was a bloody disaster. I'm in a similar position. I'm self employed and my insurance, being self insured is absurd.
HuMcK
Quote:

Price transparency, every healthcare provider should be obligated to keep and provide a list of prices for various services that they cannot deviate from more than a certain %. This could encourage shopping around for the best deal on non-emergency issues.

Portability, every healthcare provider should be obligated to accept any insurance, subject to some sort of regulatory certification for insurance companies to enforce a baseline of requirements related to business practices. No more of this "out of network" nonsense. Providers should also have to bill the same or similar prices for a given service to every insurer.

Drug prices also need a haircut, but that's a stickier problem without mandated price-caps or something along those lines. Existing single-payer entities like Medicare, Medicaid, or the VA should be given more statutory authority to negotiate down their drug prices, perhaps by bargaining collectively. That wouldn't help the rest of us much but it would cut the government's bill a little bit.

I'd also like to do away with or at least reduce deductibles and co-pays. It boggles my mind that you have to pay a premium for coverage, and additional fees to use that coverage.

These measures could be implemented within the current structure, without resorting to a more disruptive Single Payer system.

This is a comment I posted a while back, I still stand by my belief that these things would make a dramatic difference.
Johnny Bear
cinque said:

Johnny Bear said:

I hope that's "the extent of it" because like most everything else, when allowed to operate with as much freedom as possible, private sector competition will ultimately deliver the highest quality healthcare to the most people at the most affordable price. Private sector competition also provides the greatest incentive for medical advances, new/better treatments, new cures, etc. How much of this kind of thing do you hear coming from countries with socialized medicine like Cuba, Venezuela, Britain, or Canada? As far as senior citizens and the truly needy go, nobody is advocating abolishment of things like Medicare and Medicaid. It's just that that's where government involvement should start and stop. Otherwise, turn the private sector loose on healthcare and while nothing in this world is ever "perfect", that would still provide the best chance for the best healthcare system possible.

And one last thing. To those that think they have the "right" to healthcare - you don't. You have the "right" to the freedom to pursue whatever opportunities you want to pursue that will provide you with the ability to obtain the healthcare you need for yourself and for your family (if you have one).
Johnny Bear
Buddha Bear said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.

Why do only liberals write history? Are conservatives that terrible at writing? Last time I looked, schools aren't teaching Howard Zinn.
Never said "only" liberals write history. Read the post again. And maybe checkout a typical secondary education or collegiate history book and tell me the political leaning of its author(s).
Forest Bueller
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

I do not disagree at all. It is congress's responsibility. Unfortunately, they won't do it cuz to many hands in the cookie jar. Too many lobbyists. Too much $ at stake. The Trumps does need to show leadership on the issue, which has not to date. His first attempt was a bloody disaster. I'm in a similar position. I'm self employed and my insurance, being self insured is absurd.

I'm agree with this, you can't just repeal something, pulling the rug out from under millions of people and not have something for them to replace it with,

The affordable care act has been around for 8 years now. The dynamics of how insurance is handled has changed. It would be chaos for the program to be pulled without a legitimate viable replacement.

I'm not seeing this. Trump is just talking I have a feeling, unless he has something this time around.
cinque
He has nothing. Trump doesn't give a flip about health care..
Make Racism Wrong Again
Buddha Bear
Johnny Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

I bet he does have one.

Never said "only" liberals write history. Read the post again. And maybe checkout a typical secondary education or collegiate history book and tell me the political leaning of its author(s).

I think there's some confusion as to what is a centrist view from many posters on this board.

Mitch Blood Green
Johnny Bear said:

cinque said:

Johnny Bear said:

I hope that's "the extent of it" because like most everything else, when allowed to operate with as much freedom as possible, private sector competition will ultimately deliver the highest quality healthcare to the most people at the most affordable price. Private sector competition also provides the greatest incentive for medical advances, new/better treatments, new cures, etc. How much of this kind of thing do you hear coming from countries with socialized medicine like Cuba, Venezuela, Britain, or Canada? As far as senior citizens and the truly needy go, nobody is advocating abolishment of things like Medicare and Medicaid. It's just that that's where government involvement should start and stop. Otherwise, turn the private sector loose on healthcare and while nothing in this world is ever "perfect", that would still provide the best chance for the best healthcare system possible.

And one last thing. To those that think they have the "right" to healthcare - you don't. You have the "right" to the freedom to pursue whatever opportunities you want to pursue that will provide you with the ability to obtain the healthcare you need for yourself and for your family (if you have one).

Competition can work in a city where you have options. In ritual communities (and urban poor), completion isn't the answer.

Why?

Because rural and poor peoples healthcare is subsidized by the people. If there is no government healthcare component, then there is no affordability. Therefore no private sector option.

Come November, we will see an increase in the uninsured, even with low unemployment.

What does that mean?

Increased cost to the taxpayers as more and more people (even working people) will leave their bills behind. The hospital that was 40 miles away is about to be 100 miles away.

Private sector doesn't solve all problems.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.