Texas only the 14th Fattest Population in America

JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

We are skinnier than West Virginia, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Iowa, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, Alaska, South Carolina, Ohio, Indiana, and North Dakota....



trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're movin' on up!! We used to be pretty close to 'winning' that list every year
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The states that legalized recreational cannabis have the least amount of fatties.

That just defies logic lol
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

We're movin' on up!! We used to be pretty close to 'winning' that list every year
What defies logic is every time I go to a restaurant in Houston, I'm like, "oh wow.... look at that guy.... I don't look so bad even though I need to lose another 30 lbs.?"
DaveyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Keep that border open for another couple of months and we will move back into the top 5.

Lots and lots El Jeffe's through out our state.

Dont think any state can displace West Virginia in fat people with very few teeth.
JaMycal Hasty through 9/22
Rush 29 att 182 yds 6.3 ypc
Rec 9 rec 80 yds 8.9 ypc
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A significant percentage of Americans are grotesquely fat.

In the majority of cases that is a CHOICE.

A choice that (for most ) will inevitably result in expensive health issues.

And that financial burden should remain exclusively with the undisciplined individual.
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Canada2017 said:

A significant percentage of Americans are grotesquely fat.

In the majority of cases that is a CHOICE.

A choice that (for most ) will inevitably result in expensive health issues.

And that financial burden should remain exclusively with the undisciplined individual.


Well, as long as we allow people to go to the gas station or grocery and buy bags of chips and sodas on food stamps/Lone Star, folks willl be fat
MilliVanilli
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc Holliday said:

The states that legalized recreational cannabis have the least amount of fatties.

That just defies logic lol
A lot of potheads get the munchies but then forget to eat...
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

Canada2017 said:

A significant percentage of Americans are grotesquely fat.

In the majority of cases that is a CHOICE.

A choice that (for most ) will inevitably result in expensive health issues.

And that financial burden should remain exclusively with the undisciplined individual.


Well, as long as we allow people to go to the gas station or grocery and buy bags of chips and sodas on food stamps/Lone Star, folks willl be fat


Obesity is not limited to people on food stamps. Too many folks simply will not do any physical activities.

If they simply got off their ever expanding asses for one hour a day....and hiked, biked, or worked out.....they would live far better lives .
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So where do you fall, my friend? I have seen your food porn pics. It looks to me like you may not have been fasting lately.
"We have found the enemy, and it is us!"
Buddha Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Canada2017 said:

trey3216 said:

Canada2017 said:

A significant percentage of Americans are grotesquely fat.

In the majority of cases that is a CHOICE.

A choice that (for most ) will inevitably result in expensive health issues.

And that financial burden should remain exclusively with the undisciplined individual.


Well, as long as we allow people to go to the gas station or grocery and buy bags of chips and sodas on food stamps/Lone Star, folks willl be fat


Obesity is not limited to people on food stamps. Too many folks simply will not do any physical activities.

If they simply got off their ever expanding asses for one hour a day....and hiked, biked, or worked out.....they would live far better lives .
When I lived in Texas, my neighborhood's mail boxes were all located about 100 yards down the street. Everyone would get in their car and drive down the street to pick up the mail including me. What the heck was I thinking? Glad those days are over.
NoBSU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good to see that our EZ bake home meth labs and nearby low-price tribal cigarette stores are finally showing some positive benefits. Missouri is the gravy capital of the world.
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

trey3216 said:

Canada2017 said:

A significant percentage of Americans are grotesquely fat.

In the majority of cases that is a CHOICE.

A choice that (for most ) will inevitably result in expensive health issues.

And that financial burden should remain exclusively with the undisciplined individual.


Well, as long as we allow people to go to the gas station or grocery and buy bags of chips and sodas on food stamps/Lone Star, folks willl be fat


Obesity is not limited to people on food stamps. Too many folks simply will not do any physical activities.

If they simply got off their ever expanding asses for one hour a day....and hiked, biked, or worked out.....they would live far better lives .
When I lived in Texas, my neighborhood's mail boxes were all located about 100 yards down the street. Everyone would get in their car and drive down the street to pick up the mail including me. What the heck was I thinking? Glad those days are over.


The vast majority of National Parks and National Monuments are almost empty of people.....once you hike even 2 miles beyond the visitor center.

Those you do see....are almost universally slim, enthusiastic about life, and content.

Politics, race and money mean nothing and one is totally focused on the moment.
GolemIII
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are multiple reasons for concentrations of fat folks:

1. Texas cuisine is a confluence of multicultural fatty foods - country, Mexican, Cajun, soul, etc.
2. Texas weather (especially SETX) is not conducive to a lot of outdoor activity unless you like mosquitoes, snakes and 100% humidity. Fishing and duck hunting don't burn off the lb's.
3. Large (double entendre here) immigrant populations add to a lot of our unhealthy stats

None of that is an excuse for an individual to choose laziness and obesity. It's just an explanation for motivation or lack there of. If you are not fighting Father Time, he's killing you.

Edit: We visited Texas over the summer and two things struck me. First the portion size. It was like family style servings for every person individually. Second, soooo much fried food. I had heart burn 9/10 meals. Asked my mom if we could go somewhere with a salad. We went to a Mexican joint with (you guessed it) taco salads. Not a salad, mom.
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GolemIII said:

There are multiple reasons for concentrations of fat folks:

1. Texas cuisine is a confluence of multicultural fatty foods - country, Mexican, Cajun, soul, etc.
2. Texas weather (especially SETX) is not conducive to a lot of outdoor activity unless you like mosquitoes, snakes and 100% humidity. Fishing and duck hunting don't burn of the lb's.
3. Large (double entendre here) immigrant populations add to a lot of our unhealthy stats

None of that is an excuse for an individual to choose laziness and obesity. It's just an explanation for motivation or lack there of. If you are fighting Father Time, he's killing you.



Some valid points......but even here in Colorado the number of fat couch potatoes is growing . Even among young people.

Very concerning .
90sBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This may or may not be the case, but phone call surveys seem like a shaky method in determining much of anything anymore.
GolemIII
How long do you want to ignore this user?
90sBear said:

This may or may not be the case, but phone call surveys seem like a shaky method in determining much of anything anymore.


Survey: "High. Are you a fat ass"
Respondent: "Hamngh omn a schmekn'...(chewing sounds)"
Survey: "Ma'am?"
Respondent: "What now? I was eat'n"
syme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yep, Americans want to stuff themselves full of whatever immediate craving, drink themselves into a coma every weekend, then roll themselves into the ER and expect world-class healthcare for free. They'll complain when the bill comes about how the govt doesn't care about the health of its citizens, even though it's obvious they haven't given a **** about their own health in decades.
corncob pipe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
going to Civil War museums and such, I noticed the tiny 38" chest uniforms on display..people were tiny

the government food pyramid is completely wrong... it couldn't be more wrong

7000 years of farming was the portent of things to come..

and now with processing, it's in hyper acceleration mode... in less than a century we have shifted our metabolisms to full on "sugar burners"..

thus the rampant insulin yo yo onslaught in our bodies, the same bodies that evolved for 2 million years as "fat burners"... hunter gatherers

addiction is a real thing.. the glycemic high from carbs (a nice word for all the shlt they sell in the center isles of the grocery store).....

we must figure a way to emphasize fat, moderate protein, and green vegetables

wonderful things are available to us because of "advancement", refrigeration, transport etc etc... but terribly destructive things are as well

many of you say it comes down to choice.. and ultimately this is cruelly correct... but the "sugar high" is just as addictive as... anything you can name...



GolemIII
How long do you want to ignore this user?
syme said:

Yep, Americans want to stuff themselves full of whatever immediate craving, drink themselves into a coma every weekend, then roll themselves into the ER and expect world-class healthcare for free. They'll complain when the bill comes about how the govt doesn't care about the health of its citizens, even though it's obvious they haven't given a **** about their own health in decades.


Spot on
303Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
corncob pipe said:

going to Civil War museums and such, I noticed the tiny 38" chest uniforms on display..people were tiny

the government food pyramid is completely wrong... it couldn't be more wrong

7000 years of farming was the portent of things to come..

and now with processing, it's in hyper acceleration mode... in less than a century we have shifted our metabolisms to full on "sugar burners"..

thus the rampant insulin yo yo onslaught in our bodies, the same bodies that evolved for 2 million years as "fat burners"... hunter gatherers

addiction is a real thing.. the glycemic high from carbs (a nice word for all the shlt they sell in the center isles of the grocery store).....

we must figure a way to emphasize fat, moderate protein, and green vegetables

wonderful things are available to us because of "advancement", refrigeration, transport etc etc... but terribly destructive things are as well

many of you say it comes down to choice.. and ultimately this is cruelly correct... but the "sugar high" is just as addictive as... anything you can name...




Keto. Been doing it for 3 weeks and have lost ~8 pounds. No change in physical activity. Also feel better, sleep better and dont snack at all really now.

Sugar high is shortlived and can be overcome, but it can be a bit miserable for your body to get off of.
BaylorBJM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't imagine a life with no carbs.

I know I should. But I can't.
corncob pipe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
there are carbs in vegetables
Prairie_Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
303Bear said:




Keto. Been doing it for 3 weeks and have lost ~8 pounds. No change in physical activity. Also feel better, sleep better and dont snack at all really now.

Sugar high is shortlived and can be overcome, but it can be a bit miserable for your body to get off of.

Been providing a Keto diet as a side in my office since 2009. Assuming you are male, 3-4 of those first pounds is water weight, also know that when you lose it fast you can also gain it fast (evolutionary protection method, so look at this as a LIFESTYLE change, not a DIET, else you will fail). Keep it up!

Canada was originally right in 1st post, but then is incorrect talking about physical activity being the key in the 2nd. PA is important in maintaining weight, however it is very inefficient at losing weight. 1lb of fat = 3,500-4,000 calories, so someone that is obese with a back/hip/knee/feet blown out from the excess Y axis stress body isn't designed to carry can't move for a few hundred calories, let alone 3k. Just doesn't work. Need to use the furnace you have on you to lose the weight.

To do that we have to change the way we look at food, as another said pyramid is way off and is centered around food companies making $$$. Staying on the outside of the grocery store is exactly right.

I firmly believe soda should be restricted/taxed just like cigarettes/weed/alcohol/etc. If you are on governmental assistance, they should absolutely be restricted to what they can buy as obese people consume >40% more health care dollars than non-obese people do, and we ALL pay for that.

Also, (for right or wrong), when we inevitably move to a single payer system as more remedial jobs are replaced by automation and a large swath of our population is un-employable, I believe our "job" will be to be as sustainable as possible. To do this we must shift responsibility for ones health AWAY from the practitioner, and solely on the individual. If you are overweight, smoke, drink, etc then you are exempt from the single payer system and you go out on your own in private insurance and fend for yourself. We have to quit enabling these people, as we have enough objective evidence that it is getting worse, not better the way we handle it.
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Canada2017 said:

trey3216 said:

Canada2017 said:

A significant percentage of Americans are grotesquely fat.

In the majority of cases that is a CHOICE.

A choice that (for most ) will inevitably result in expensive health issues.

And that financial burden should remain exclusively with the undisciplined individual.


Well, as long as we allow people to go to the gas station or grocery and buy bags of chips and sodas on food stamps/Lone Star, folks willl be fat


Obesity is not limited to people on food stamps. Too many folks simply will not do any physical activities.

If they simply got off their ever expanding asses for one hour a day....and hiked, biked, or worked out.....they would live far better lives .


I never said it's limited to people on food stamps, but I sure as hell see people at the grocery and gas stations plopping down handfuls and basketfuls of sodas, chips, snacks, and other unimaginable processed crap at the register and using food stamps to pay for it, and most of them are obese. That is a fact
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unhealthy lifestyles reduce the overall cost of health care and contribute billions of dollars a year in tax revenue. More emphasis on healthy living and prevention would only make the cost problem worse.
Coke Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc Holliday said:

The states that legalized recreational cannabis have the least amount of fatties.

That just defies logic lol
It does defy logic on the surface; however, when I visit Crested Butte, it seems like everyone is outside walking, hiking, jogging, camping, biking, etc. Those people are always outside. I'm in good shape for my age and I'm almost embarrassed sometimes when I'm there.

One of my favorite quips about Colorado sums up the situations:

What do you call a fat person in Colorado?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A Texan on vacation.
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's all pretty simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Portion sizes in Merica are insane. Stay away from alot of sugar and carbs. Eat lots of veggies and less animal protein. Eat everything you want in moderation.
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
J.R. said:

It's all pretty simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Portion sizes in Merica are insane. Stay away from alot of sugar and carbs. Eat lots of veggies and less animal protein. Eat everything you want in moderation.
Less animal protein? Are you a vegan? Do you consume soy?
xiledinok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GolemIII said:

There are multiple reasons for concentrations of fat folks:

1. Texas cuisine is a confluence of multicultural fatty foods - country, Mexican, Cajun, soul, etc.
2. Texas weather (especially SETX) is not conducive to a lot of outdoor activity unless you like mosquitoes, snakes and 100% humidity. Fishing and duck hunting don't burn off the lb's.
3. Large (double entendre here) immigrant populations add to a lot of our unhealthy stats

None of that is an excuse for an individual to choose laziness and obesity. It's just an explanation for motivation or lack there of. If you are not fighting Father Time, he's killing you.

Edit: We visited Texas over the summer and two things struck me. First the portion size. It was like family style servings for every person individually. Second, soooo much fried food. I had heart burn 9/10 meals. Asked my mom if we could go somewhere with a salad. We went to a Mexican joint with (you guessed it) taco salads. Not a salad, mom.



What about places like Mississippi?
You know all those fat wealthy illegal immigrants in Misssisspi really impact the numbers with all those fat white stay at home educated white women. Those wealthy illegals must really enjoy fried chicken and grease.
Prairie_Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

It's all pretty simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Portion sizes in Merica are insane. Stay away from alot of sugar and carbs. Eat lots of veggies and less animal protein. Eat everything you want in moderation.
Less animal protein? Are you a vegan? Do you consume soy?


Animal protein is brutal on your prostate and is high in cholesterol (ldl) and saturated fat (clogs arteries). In addition, it is very costly to environment (corn feed ((pesticide/herb/fuel used to harvest/grow/transport feed))) + the waste/water that goes in to maintain large factory operations. I know this first hand as my grandfather was a large scale cattle producer and I spent my high school years there.

Much more efficient and sustainable to use plant proteins for large populations, heck you can grow most in your backyard if so inclined.

I'll never fully cut out meat bc I enjoy it and the art of reverse searing/ect. But my family splits a steak vs us all having our own. Cooking process is carniogenic as well.

Suggest checking out book, "blue zones". Profiles areas in the world that have high concentration of centurions (live > 100 years). Many common themes, one of them being less meat. Plate should be 3/4 fruit/veggies, 1/4 protein. We have that backwards in this country and wonder why we spend #1 in dollars spent and rank in late teens of health.
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

It's all pretty simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Portion sizes in Merica are insane. Stay away from alot of sugar and carbs. Eat lots of veggies and less animal protein. Eat everything you want in moderation.
Less animal protein? Are you a vegan? Do you consume soy?
Did I say no animal protein? No I didn't. Nor am I a Vegan or Vegetarian. Yes, I consume soy, just like most everyone else does. Are you trying to tell me that eating a **** ton of red meat is good for you?
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

It's all pretty simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Portion sizes in Merica are insane. Stay away from alot of sugar and carbs. Eat lots of veggies and less animal protein. Eat everything you want in moderation.
Less animal protein? Are you a vegan? Do you consume soy?
Did I say no animal protein? No I didn't. Nor am I a Vegan or Vegetarian. Yes, I consume soy, just like most everyone else does. Are you trying to tell me that eating a **** ton of red meat is good for you? I eat everything and I mean everything, just in moderation.
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Prairie_Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

It's all pretty simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Portion sizes in Merica are insane. Stay away from alot of sugar and carbs. Eat lots of veggies and less animal protein. Eat everything you want in moderation.
Less animal protein? Are you a vegan? Do you consume soy?


Animal protein is brutal on your prostate and is high in cholesterol (ldl) and saturated fat (clogs arteries). In addition, it is very costly to environment (corn feed ((pesticide/herb/fuel used to harvest/grow/transport feed))) + the waste/water that goes in to maintain large factory operations. I know this first hand as my grandfather was a large scale cattle producer and I spent my high school years there.

Much more efficient and sustainable to use plant proteins for large populations, heck you can grow most in your backyard if so inclined.

I'll never fully cut out meat bc I enjoy it and the art of reverse searing/ect. But my family splits a steak vs us all having our own. Cooking process is carniogenic as well.

Suggest checking out book, "blue zones". Profiles areas in the world that have high concentration of centurions (live > 100 years). Many common themes, one of them being less meat. Plate should be 3/4 fruit/veggies, 1/4 protein. We have that backwards in this country and wonder why we spend #1 in dollars spent and rank in late teens of health.
yup
DaveyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On my Mom's side of the family, she is the youngest of 9 (5 boys, 4 females), not a single male lived to 60.

Other than ridiculous amounts of whiskey and schlitz, I doubt they ever ate processed food.

Being the pig that I am, I probably eat processed garbage every day. Maybe I should try something different.

On the other hand, I dont drink and my blood pressure is relatively low.
JaMycal Hasty through 9/22
Rush 29 att 182 yds 6.3 ypc
Rec 9 rec 80 yds 8.9 ypc
Page 1 of 2
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.