Congrats to those who rode out the hurricane

5,154 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Osodecentx
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Show'em what they won. Death toll expected to rise when authorities finally get to areas that a utterly destroyed

Hurricane Michael Live Updates: 13 Deaths in a Vast Trail of Destruction

SPRINGFIELD, Fla. Hurricane Michael's death toll rose to 13 on Friday and was expected to climb higher as emergency workers searched rubble and the storm's grim consequences stretched from the Florida Panhandle into Virginia.
Rescue teams were in the early stages of combing a region razed by a Category 4 hurricane that flattened blocks, collapsed buildings and left infrastructure crippled. Some of the hardest-hit communities have yet to report any fatalities, and although officials said they hoped they would find survivors, a resigned gloom was setting in throughout the disaster zone.
Dr. Jay Radtke, the medical examiner for some of the areas of most concern, including Panama City and Mexico Beach, said he could not release any information on the number of dead in the six Panhandle counties under his jurisdiction. "We are swamped," he said. "It's a disaster zone down here."
Here's the latest:
The authorities in Virginia said seven people in the state had died from the storm, including several who had drowned and a firefighter who was responding to an emergency call.

Four deaths occurred in Gadsden County, west of Tallahassee, according to Lt. Anglie Hightower, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office. The victims included a man who died when a tree crashed down on his home in Greensboro.
An 11-year-old girl, Sarah Radney, was killed on Wednesday when a carport was torn away and was sent hurtling into a modular home in Seminole County, Ga.
At least 1.5 million customers were without electricity in states stretching from Florida to Virginia.
It has been a tough few weeks for the Carolinas. After thrashing the Florida Panhandle, Michael slogged through states still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Florence last month.
Much of the coast of the Florida Panhandle, including Mexico Beach and Panama City, was devastated. The area is dotted with small, rural communities, some of them among the poorest in the state. Read more about how the storm was hard on people without the means to evacuate.

Wrecks Quan Dough
When the Air Force decides they need to move their jets, you probably want to leave town.
Osodecentx
They seem to be tired of winning

Residents of Florida Coast Increasingly Desperate for Food and Shelter

SPRINGFIELD, Fla. In this storm-ravaged town, where homes have been battered and even food and water are in short supply, Martha and Lindsay Brown have been sleeping in their car.
Much of the roof of their two-bedroom rental home failed when it was hit by Hurricane Michael's 155-mile-per-hour winds, and they had no luck when they contacted the American Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency looking for help.
"They referred us to two shelters, but they were already full," said Ms. Brown, 60, a former government worker. "There's nowhere to go."
A familiar tension of disasters is emerging throughout the Florida Panhandle: People are increasingly desperate for food, water and shelter, but a sprawling relief operation is confronted with challenging conditions that are delaying the delivery of help.

midgett
My hometown is 150 miles inland and sustained significant property damage.
Florda_mike
I went to Panama City Beach today

Further east I went there was no gas. No electricity, water or food. No cell phone. Few people

Very primitive

My son went into Panama City and said it looked like war zone. Turned down street to go to a friends house to help and he said he saw sign that read, "Looters will be shot"

I've got a friend that said he "moved further inland" to Lynn Haven from PCB just before storm and I can't get ahold of him since Wednesday morning 10am when I offered to come get his wife and get her out. That's where my son went

Found myself weeping today initially which often happens in these type things

And that's the west side of this thing. Going further east tomorrow and will try to report back
contrario
I would leave, but what's the big deal if people want to stay? They know they are putting their lives in danger, and I agree it isn't smart, but so what. They have a right to do that if they want. Just as other people do lots of things that put their lives in danger in ways I never would, these people are doing the same thing.
Florda_mike
contrario said:

I would leave, but what's the big deal if people want to stay? They know they are putting their lives in danger, and I agree it isn't smart, but so what. They have a right to do that if they want. Just as other people do lots of things that put their lives in danger in ways I never would, these people are doing the same thing.

Whether people leave or stay isn't looked upon much differently by long time locals. When you live here a long time you grow much less fearful of things such as this. They come and go

This thing was a depression 5 days ago, last Sunday. In 72 hours it grew to 155 mph and headed in a beeline to where it hit. It didn't take 7-10 days as they often do. To the less fearful and fairly immune to fear these type events, as they come and go, they just had no time to prep and then drive off. He!! we barely had time to prep and most didn't believe it or not. Then before ya know ya got a relative Cat 5 up your azz. Heck it's already been over 48 hours since landfall, nearly 60, and 120 hours ago it was depression in southern Gulf! Now it's off east coast and gone! That SOB was like a thief robbing Fort Knox in the night.

Most people I saw today were in shock and just surviving. Only shower available is Gulf. Quietness. No food or water. Can't use commodes. No cell phone. And as I said that's the west or soft side of this thing.

Supply houses are closed or only operating for cash. People can't work because they're guarding their possessions and homes

Mexico Beach was a Florida treasure. Sand dollars wash ashore unbroken. Relatively poor for Florida Coast standards in a southern Alabama type way. Comfortable pleasant and humble people. Salt of earth. Many might not have even had cable tv there. Washed away now. Terrible

We never expect near Cat 5s here until now. Haven't even had much of anything since 05 or 6.

Please don't blame those that stayed to protect homes from future looters or the storm as some died doing it. It missed us by about 40 miles

This is a disaster you wouldn't wish on anyone, well most anyone
Osodecentx
contrario said:

Thinning the herd

Stupid people who see themselves as courageous for committing stupidity.

Nobody said they didn't have a right to do what they want, but they forfeit their *****ing privilege4s when they are hungry and thirsty and without electricity. Where is the rough and ready, self reliant macho BS now?
Osodecentx
Rough and ready self reliant Mericuns

'We Need Answers': Hurricane Michael Leaves Florida Residents Desperate for Aid

PANAMA CITY, Fla. It was two days after Hurricane Michael, and Eddie Foster was pushing his mother in a wheelchair down a thoroughly smashed street, his face creased with a concentrated dose of the frustration and fear that has afflicted much of the Florida Panhandle since the brutal storm turned its coast to rubble.
He was in a working-class neighborhood called Millville, where many residents said they were becoming desperate for even basic necessities. Mr. Foster, 60, and his 99-year-old mother had no car, no electricity. The food had spoiled in his refrigerator. The storm had ripped off large sections of his roof. He had no working plumbing to flush with. No water to drink. And as of Friday afternoon, he had seen no sign of government help.
"What can I do?" he said. "I'm not angry. I just want some help."

This was the problem that government officials were racing to solve on Friday, as desperation grew in and around Panama City under a burning sun. Long lines formed for gas and food, and across the battered coastline, those who were poor, trapped and isolated sent out pleas for help.

bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

Show'em what they won. Death toll expected to rise when authorities finally get to areas that a utterly destroyed

Nice display of empathy
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy
Pointing out the obvious. Why do people not heed the warning?
Forest Bueller
Florda_mike said:

contrario said:

Whether people leave or stay isn't looked upon much differently by long time locals. When you live here a long time you grow much less fearful of things such as this. They come and go

This thing was a depression 5 days ago, last Sunday. In 72 hours it grew to 155 mph and headed in a beeline to where it hit. It didn't take 7-10 days as they often do. To the less fearful and fairly immune to fear these type events, as they come and go, they just had no time to prep and then drive off. He!! we barely had time to prep and most didn't believe it or not. Then before ya know ya got a relative Cat 5 up your azz. Heck it's already been over 48 hours since landfall, nearly 60, and 120 hours ago it was depression in southern Gulf! Now it's off east coast and gone! That SOB was like a thief robbing Fort Knox in the night.

Most people I saw today were in shock and just surviving. Only shower available is Gulf. Quietness. No food or water. Can't use commodes. No cell phone. And as I said that's the west or soft side of this thing.

Supply houses are closed or only operating for cash. People can't work because they're guarding their possessions and homes

Mexico Beach was a Florida treasure. Sand dollars wash ashore unbroken. Relatively poor for Florida Coast standards in a southern Alabama type way. Comfortable pleasant and humble people. Salt of earth. Many might not have even had cable tv there. Washed away now. Terrible

We never expect near Cat 5s here until now. Haven't even had much of anything since 05 or 6.

Please don't blame those that stayed to protect homes from future looters or the storm as some died doing it. It missed us by about 40 miles

100% agree with this, the demographic sounds similar to the area I grew up, many folks couldn't just leave in a moment's notice truth be told, unless they just jumped in a Truck with nothing and drove, others couldn't period.

Also people always want to stay where they feel safest, home.
Florda_mike
Forest Bueller said:

Florda_mike said:

contrario said:

100% agree with this, the demographic sounds similar to the area I grew up, many folks couldn't just leave in a moment's notice truth be told, unless they just jumped in a Truck with nothing and drove, others couldn't period.

Also people always want to stay where they feel safest, home.

^^^ Gets it!
contrario
Osodecentx said:

contrario said:

Thinning the herd

Nobody said they didn't have a right to do what they want, but they forfeit their *****ing privilege4s when they are hungry and thirsty and without electricity. Where is the rough and ready, self reliant macho BS now?
So when a lifelong smoker develops lung cancer, especially those that knew better, do they forfeit their rights to seek aid? If someone likes to participate in extreme sports, do they forfeit their rights to seek aid if they get hurt while partipating in an extreme sport? If a promiscuous guy gets an STD, does he forfeit his rights to seek aid? I'm not really sure what your point is and I'm not sure where you would draw the line in the sand. Humans do stupid things and as humans we always provide help, regardless of the circumstances.
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy
Staying through a hurricane is not unusual behavior. There are lots of reasons other than stupidity or stubbornness.
Osodecentx
contrario said:

Osodecentx said:

contrario said:

Thinning the herd

So when a lifelong smoker develops lung cancer, especially those that knew better, do they forfeit their rights to seek aid? If someone likes to participate in extreme sports, do they forfeit their rights to seek aid if they get hurt while partipating in an extreme sport? If a promiscuous guy gets an STD, does he forfeit his rights to seek aid? I'm not really sure what your point is and I'm not sure where you would draw the line in the sand. Humans do stupid things and as humans we always provide help, regardless of the circumstances.
No
Osodecentx
NYT:

They raced to reach the injured, the dead and those in need of help, hoping to chip away at a long list of people reportedly missing in Florida after one of the most powerful storms in United States history. The death count is 18, but is likely to rise. CrowdSource Rescue, a Houston volunteer group, reported it had located 754 people.
Florda_mike
What it's like ....

No water so no commodes if ya need to crap

No electricity so food is running or has run out. No power poles so idk how they'll get electricity back up???

No stores open(no groceries) but certain places are cooking for those that can get there as cars were damaged or totaled or are blocked, by trees

No phones so no communication, none!

Trees went everywhere. Think about that. Trees were or are in streets blocking entire blocks. Not just one or 2 trees, constant trees are/were blocking neighborhood roads. Trees fell through homes and cars. Trees were killers of life and homes and cars and travel

Railroad cars blown off rails I've been told. Saw Uhaul trucks blown over.

Buildings crumbled like a crushed aluminum can. Roofs stripped to wood deck and if they were lucky, that's all. Many or most structures are totaled and will need demo and start from scratch, if there's insurance as it hit a lotta lower income areas

Signs say "Looters will be shot!" Looter killed today/yesterday

Mid 80' and humid still. Miserable weather

It's gonna be 5th day today since storm(seems forever) with these conditions. I'm wondering if or when people will start getting desperate for food and just what this looks like as time goes on. People aren't working as they have to protect homes and many or most cars are totaled. Worried about older people trapped in homes blocked from travel with no electricity, medical or food that are on oxygen or dialysis or such

And I haven't even gone very far east at all and this I've described was on west side of eye or where eye went over and not on strongest east side

Terrible situation

Helpless feeling

I saw Andrew and got there about 2 weeks after it hit and this is every but as bad

We live 50 miles to west but I'm going there almost daily to help and fixing to leave now

Please remember this area in your prayers. Please do, it helps!
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy
Lots of reasons. None of which you seem to care about.
trey3216
Florda_mike said:

What it's like ....

No water so no commodes if ya need to crap

No electricity so food is running or has run out. No power poles so idk how they'll get electricity back up???

No stores open(no groceries) but certain places are cooking for those that can get there as cars were damaged or totaled or are blocked, by trees

No phones so no communication, none!

Trees went everywhere. Think about that. Trees were or are in streets blocking entire blocks. Not just one or 2 trees, constant trees are/were blocking neighborhood roads. Trees fell through homes and cars. Trees were killers of life and homes and cars and travel

Railroad cars blown off rails I've been told. Saw Uhaul trucks blown over.

Buildings crumbled like a crushed aluminum can. Roofs stripped to wood deck and if they were lucky, that's all. Many or most structures are totaled and will need demo and start from scratch, if there's insurance as it hit a lotta lower income areas

Signs say "Looters will be shot!" Looter killed today/yesterday

Mid 80' and humid still. Miserable weather

It's gonna be 5th day today since storm(seems forever) with these conditions. I'm wondering if or when people will start getting desperate for food and just what this looks like as time goes on. People aren't working as they have to protect homes and many or most cars are totaled. Worried about older people trapped in homes blocked from travel with no electricity, medical or food that are on oxygen or dialysis or such

And I haven't even gone very far east at all and this I've described was on west side of eye or where eye went over and not on strongest east side

Terrible situation

Helpless feeling

I saw Andrew and got there about 2 weeks after it hit and this is every but as bad

We live 50 miles to west but I'm going there almost daily to help and fixing to leave now

Please remember this area in your prayers. Please do, it helps!
I know last year during the Harvey aftermath, I cooked hot meals at a place in Beaumont for 3 days. We cooked basic staples: rice, beans, a little sausage and hamburger mixed in, basically a joker's jambalaya. It was over 100 degrees. No water. Miserable. But man, the smiles you see and the hugs you receive for giving folks a hot meal when they haven't had one in a week were incredible.

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy
This isn't like a tornado where you have little or no warning. Or an automobile accident, or a sudden flood, or a tree falling on you, or a policeman being killed in an ambush.

Folks had days to get out of the way. Those I saw who were interviewed were bragging about 'riding it out'. God must love stupid people because He created so many of them. He also created Phaoroh and other vessels of destruction.

I'll contribute to the denomination's efforts to help the survivors because that we are instructed to do so. Those are probably the ones with enough sense to get out of the way.
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy
This isn't like a tornado where you have little or no warning. Or an automobile accident, or a sudden flood, or a tree falling on you, or a policeman being killed in an ambush.

Folks had days to get out of the way. Those I saw who were interviewed were bragging about 'riding it out'. God must love stupid people because He created so many of them. He also created Phaoroh and other vessels of destruction.

I'll contribute to the denomination's efforts to help the survivors because that we are instructed to do so. Those are probably the ones with enough sense to get out of the way.
Your failure of empathy is especially evident in your inability to grasp any reason that people might have stayed that didn't involve their own stupidity.

One obvious reason for some was inadequate transportation. What seems implausible to you or me is reality for some folks.

Another reason is that some of these folks lived far enough inland, and had enough past experience with hurricanes, to believe that they were safe, when in fact they were not.

Another reason is the suddenness with which this hurricane went from a Category 2 (a level that people knew they'd been able to ride out before) to just a few mph short of a Category 5. It happened so fast that it was too late to get out (or they thought it was too late) when the real power of the storm emerged. And if you've ever been to the "Forgotten Coast" of Florida, you'd know there's no quick way out of there.

And then there are just people who are stubborn or made bad decisions.

How wonderful that you'll piously give to the relief effort while braying on the street corner your thanks that God didn't make you "stupid" like he made these people.

Jesus had a thing or two to say about people like you.
Florda_mike
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

Your failure of empathy is especially evident in your inability to grasp any reason that people might have stayed that didn't involve their own stupidity.

One obvious reason for some was inadequate transportation. What seems implausible to you or me is reality for some folks.

Another reason is that some of these folks lived far enough inland, and had enough past experience with hurricanes, to believe that they were safe, when in fact they were not.

Another reason is the suddenness with which this hurricane went from a Category 2 (a level that people knew they'd been able to ride out before) to just a few mph short of a Category 5. It happened so fast that it was too late to get out (or they thought it was too late) when the real power of the storm emerged. And if you've ever been to the "Forgotten Coast" of Florida, you'd know there's no quick way out of there.

How wonderful that you'll piously give to the relief effort while braying on the street corner your thanks that God didn't make you "stupid" like he made these people.

Thanks bub!
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

The people I saw interviewed had the means to flee, but chose not to because they are so macho. They were stubborn and too smart to get out of the way.

I have more empathy for them than you do for policemen slain in the line of duty.

And we are both thankful that He didn't make you like me.

I suppose I am supposed to insult you now, but I'll just bray for you.

bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

The people I saw interviewed had the means to flee, but chose not to because they are so macho. They were stubborn and too smart to get out of the way.

I have more empathy for them than you do for policemen slain in the line of duty.

Credit where due: You didn't just double-down on being a a street corner pharisee. You didn't even triple down. You quadrupled down. You're like a SuperBaptist!
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

Credit where due: You didn't just double-down on being a a street corner pharisee. You didn't even triple down. You quadrupled down. You're like a SuperBaptist!
Very Christ-like of you. I will continue to bray for you

And riding out a hurricane is stupid

bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

What comes after quadruple? Asking for a Florida friend without internet service.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

What comes after quadruple? Asking for a Florida friend without internet service.
Cinco? Fnf?
trey3216
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not gonna make it.
Osodecentx
trey3216 said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

Read posts above. Make the joke. Levity welcome
Wrecks Quan Dough
trey3216 said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

I would guess it has something to do with Balaam and his donkey. Bubbadog could be Balaam.
Osodecentx
Carlos Safety said:

trey3216 said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

I would guess it has something to do with Balaam and his donkey. Bubbadog could be Balaam.
There you go
bubbadog
There was already a joke about "thinning the herd."

Or was that one meant as a joke?
trey3216
Carlos Safety said:

trey3216 said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

Not necessarily balaam. But 'braying' is the technical term for the sound a donkey makes, or an a$$. Like I said, I'm a conscientious objector on this one, I just caught the misspelling and said there was a joke in there if someone wanted to take it.
Osodecentx
trey3216 said:

Carlos Safety said:

trey3216 said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Nice display of empathy

Not necessarily balaam. But 'braying' is the technical term for the sound a donkey makes, or an a$$. Like I said, I'm a conscientious objector on this one, I just caught the misspelling and said there was a joke in there if someone wanted to take it.
It was not a misspelling. More an attempt at double entendre
You must read the posts that preceded it

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.