Opinions on Hunting Endangered Animals?

1,990 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cowboycwr
cms186
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read this story today ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45880501 ) and i was just wondering what the take is of people who are more into that kind of thing (hunting in general, that is)

I personally have never been hunting, but im not opposed to the idea in general at all, in fact, i think I would probably quite enjoy it and as long as the Animal I hunted wasnt in any pain and it was treated with respect (you know, apart from actually killing it in the first place ) I have no issue with the practice in general, In fact I can see the sense of fulfilment in hunting your own food, for example. I could go Hunting in England if i wanted to, though they tend to be part of organised events, rather than the stereotypical stalking through the Forests, its just never been something thats been high on my list of things to do.

However, there is a part of the practice which annoys me and that is entitled people going off to Africa (usually) and hunting down endangered Animals like Lions and Leopards and Elephants or whatever, posing with their "Trophy" as if its some kind of achievement to hit an Animal the size of a Car that doesnt know whats coming and then laughing about it with their friends.

I was just wondering what the opinion is of people in a country where Hunting is more ingrained to their nature?
I'm the English Guy
CSIBear
cms186 said:

I read this story today ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45880501 ) and i was just wondering what the take is of people who are more into that kind of thing (hunting in general, that is)

I personally have never been hunting, but im not opposed to the idea in general at all, in fact, i think I would probably quite enjoy it and as long as the Animal I hunted wasnt in any pain and it was treated with respect (you know, apart from actually killing it in the first place ) I have no issue with the practice in general, In fact I can see the sense of fulfilment in hunting your own food, for example. I could go Hunting in England if i wanted to, though they tend to be part of organised events, rather than the stereotypical stalking through the Forests, its just never been something thats been high on my list of things to do.

However, there is a part of the practice which annoys me and that is entitled people going off to Africa (usually) and hunting down endangered Animals like Lions and Leopards and Elephants or whatever, posing with their "Trophy" as if its some kind of achievement to hit an Animal the size of a Car that doesnt know whats coming and then laughing about it with their friends.

I was just wondering what the opinion is of people in a country where Hunting is more ingrained to their nature?
What makes these people "Entitled?"
90sBear
For myself, I don't hunt it if I'm not going to eat it.

Obviously this does not include killing nuisance animals like rattle snakes and I understand when farmers protect their property, etc. But for actual hunting, I don't see the point in killing something if I'm not going to use it for food.

Now, I know some of these high profile hunts that have made the news the entire story sometimes isn't told. For example the black rhino that was no longer breeding and was considered a nuisance. The right to kill it was auctioned off, the money going to the local wildlife agency, and the meat donated to a local village. Still not my thing, but I can see the positives in a situation like that.
MilliVanilli
You mean like Moderate Democrats?
LIB,MR BEARS
An animal can be listed as endangered and be overpopulated in specific areas. Sometimes, thinning of the herd can help the overall health of the population.
CSIBear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

An animal can be listed as endangered and be overpopulated in specific areas. Sometimes, thinning of the herd can help the overall health of the population.
This is the underlying principle that governs all responsible hunting practices. It has been researched and approved just about everywhere.

Still not sure how it applies to "Entitled" people....
cms186
CSIBear said:

cms186 said:

You dont think its entitled that someone thinks that because they pay 50k or whatever, that gives them the right to kill an animal that is in risk of extinction?
I'm the English Guy
corncob pipe
it's fun
CSIBear
cms186 said:

CSIBear said:

cms186 said:

You dont think its entitled that someone thinks that because they pay 50k or whatever, that gives them the right to kill an animal that is in risk of extinction?
Ah I see what you mean now. You are saying if someone pays 50k or whatever to hunt an animal that is at risk of extinction then they are entitled to kill it. I certainly agree, they paid a lot of money for the privilege.
cms186
CSIBear said:

cms186 said:

CSIBear said:

cms186 said:

Ah I see what you mean now. You are saying if someone pays 50k or whatever to hunt an animal that is at risk of extinction then they are entitled to kill it. I certainly agree, they paid a lot of money for the privilege.
no, thats not what i meant, but i guess the reaction im getting is answer enough to my question
I'm the English Guy
LIB,MR BEARS
English guy, I get upset when people that have higher paying jobs than I do and have made smarter investments think they're entitled to drive nicer cars or fly first class.

Seriously though, when someone shoots a tiger, lion, Cape buffalo, giraffe, etc. they or their guide have purchased a permit from the government.

Even here in the US, wildlife refuges will allow a specific number of animals to be harvested off of the refuge. I've never hunted a refuge but I have several family members who have..

Endangered and overpopulated can overlap
JXL
90sBear said:

For myself, I don't hunt it if I'm not going to eat it.

Obviously this does not include killing nuisance animals like rattle snakes and I understand when farmers protect their property, etc. But for actual hunting, I don't see the point in killing something if I'm not going to use it for food.

Agree with this here.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I live in South Texas and have never been a big hunter, Chris. I have always been an animal lover and have the utmost respect for wildlife and their habitat. I do not understand the desire to hunt and kill endangered animals.

Now that being said, I have many friends and acquaintances that enjoy all types of hunting but I certainly don't hold it against them. To each his own. Although not a hunter, I LOVE to fish.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
syme
I would not kill an exotic animal just for display. That just doesn't appeal to me, and frankly, looks tacky as decor. But to your point, an argument can be made that trophy hunting actually helps conservation efforts to some degree.

https://www.conservationmagazine.org/2014/01/can-trophy-hunting-reconciled-conservation/

Quote:

...better evidence would come from proof that hunting can be consistent with actual, measurable conservation-related benefits for a species. Is there such evidence? According to a 2005 paper by Nigel Leader-Williams and colleagues in the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy the answer is yes. Leader-Williams describes how the legalization of white rhinoceros hunting in South Africa motivated private landowners to reintroduce the species onto their lands. As a result, the country saw an increase in white rhinos from fewer than one hundred individuals to more than 11,000, even while a limited number were killed as trophies.

Quote:

. The real tragedy here is that the one rhino that will be killed as a result of Saturday's auction has received a disproportionate amount of media attention compared to the hundreds of rhinos lost to poaching each year, which remain largely invisible. And while there remains at least a possibility that sanctioned trophy hunts can benefit the black rhino as they have for the white rhino, there is only one possible consequence of continued poaching. It's one that conservationists and hunters alike will lament.

midgett
I understand thinning herds but personally I love most animals too much to shoot for sport.

What drives me nuts is "hunting" a giraffe or hippo or zebra. They don't know they are being hunted. How hard is it to kill one? "Look at me! I'm a great hunter. I killed an animal that didn't realize I was about to kill it."

Canada2017
Don't hunt any more. Don't have a problem with hunting in general, even now, as long as you eat what you shoot.

Or

Bow hunting .

Couple of friends of mine are avid bow hunters. They will scout an area several times and even then often come up empty handed because you have to get really close to the animal.

Hunting black bear with a bow .....that is the ultimate IMO.

Hunting exotic, endangered animals is rarely sporting and I don't like it .

But with ever increasing human populations trying to survive....it is inevitable most animals in the wild will be eradicated.
EatMoreSalmon
syme said:

I would not kill an exotic animal just for display. That just doesn't appeal to me, and frankly, looks tacky as decor. But to your point, an argument can be made that trophy hunting actually helps conservation efforts to some degree.

https://www.conservationmagazine.org/2014/01/can-trophy-hunting-reconciled-conservation/

Quote:

According to a 2005 paper by Nigel Leader-Williams and colleagues in the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy the answer is yes. Leader-Williams describes how the legalization of white rhinoceros hunting in South Africa motivated private landowners to reintroduce the species onto their lands. As a result, the country saw an increase in white rhinos from fewer than one hundred individuals to more than 11,000, even while a limited number were killed as trophies.

Quote:

. The real tragedy here is that the one rhino that will be killed as a result of Saturday's auction has received a disproportionate amount of media attention compared to the hundreds of rhinos lost to poaching each year, which remain largely invisible. And while there remains at least a possibility that sanctioned trophy hunts can benefit the black rhino as they have for the white rhino, there is only one possible consequence of continued poaching. It's one that conservationists and hunters alike will lament.

A doctor of mine told me about a release of some protected turkeys around the Red River in NE Texas. About thirty were released in the area which once was a native habitat for the birds. Texas Parks and Wildlife (I believe) were trying to get the birds reestablished.
Some knucklehead found out about the release and went in and shot all but a few of the turkeys. He was caught with them and faced some serious charges for his selfish action. Poachers don't care about any limits or the well being of the land and its fauna. They are the ones that deserve the scorn of others.
william
we need to start slaughtering MORE animals.

save stress on the environment. lessen the consuming load.

also frees up more space for other, higher order species to evolve.

- BUmma

Dale?
midgett
william said:

we need to start slaughtering MORE animals.

save stress on the environment. lessen the consuming load.

also frees up more space for other, higher order species to evolve.

- BUmma

You should be careful. There are a few endangered animals that regularly post on this forum.
cms186
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I live in South Texas and have never been a big hunter, Chris. I have always been an animal lover and have the utmost respect for wildlife and their habitat. I do not understand the desire to hunt and kill endangered animals.

Now that being said, I have many friends and acquaintances that enjoy all types of hunting but I certainly don't hold it against them. To each his own. Although not a hunter, I LOVE to fish.
Man i dont think i could get into fishing, it seems alike a lot of sitting on your backside and waiting around being quiet to me!
I'm the English Guy
cms186
syme said:

Quote:

...better evidence would come from proof that hunting can be consistent with actual, measurable conservation-related benefits for a species. Is there such evidence? According to a 2005 paper by Nigel Leader-Williams and colleagues in the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy the answer is yes. Leader-Williams describes how the legalization of white rhinoceros hunting in South Africa motivated private landowners to reintroduce the species onto their lands. As a result, the country saw an increase in white rhinos from fewer than one hundred individuals to more than 11,000, even while a limited number were killed as trophies.

Quote:

yeah, if theres some actual benefit or purpose behind it, then i dont mind, its just the Trophy killing for no reason (outside of the Trophy) and Poachers (which i didnt mention in my OP, but they also annoy me) that i'm talking about
I'm the English Guy
bearassnekkid
cms186 said:

I am an avid outdoorsman, and have hunted and fished since I was a small boy. It is definitely something that is in my DNA that I can't fully explain, but somehow being in nature, including the harvesting of fish and animals for provision and sustenance for my family, connects me to my ancestors and to my Creator in a way that few other activities do. It is an endeavor I take seriously, not something I do out of some warped sense of machismo or bloodlust. I primarily hunt white-tailed deer with bow and arrow, and hunt dove/duck/pheasant/quail as well. When I take an animal I immediately pray over it, thanking God for creating it and providing it. My family eats anything we harvest. Even my daughters recognize that if we buy meat at the store or at a restaurant, that just means we paid someone else to kill the animal for us. When I take the animal myself, I have participated in what, for me, is a more meaningful way. I give the animal respect and I acknowledge that the taking of its life was purposed for the sustenance of my own and my family's.

That being said, I have no commonality at all with someone who would want to shoot a giraffe or a rhino. I don't understand the desire to shoot a large, slow moving animal simply because it's "rare" or for the sheer joy of shooting it. Not my thing at all, and I generally have lack of respect for the folks that do it. There is little "sport" in it, and it isn't for food. I understand and appreciate the management efforts associated with the auctioned big game hunts in Africa, and I'm glad that the funds are put to good use. But it's playing off a twisted desire in my opinion. Wish it didn't give the rest of us hunters a bad name or project us all in a similar light, but they get a lot of press.
J.R.
bearassnekkid said:

cms186 said:

I am an avid outdoorsman, and have hunted and fished since I was a small boy. It is definitely something that is in my DNA that I can't fully explain, but somehow being in nature, including the harvesting of fish and animals for provision and sustenance for my family, connects me to my ancestors and to my Creator in a way that few other activities do. It is an endeavor I take seriously, not something I do out of some warped sense of machismo or bloodlust. I primarily hunt white-tailed deer with bow and arrow, and hunt dove/duck/pheasant/quail as well. When I take an animal I immediately pray over it, thanking God for creating it and providing it. My family eats anything we harvest. Even my daughters recognize that if we buy meat at the store or at a restaurant, that just means we paid someone else to kill the animal for us. When I take the animal myself, I have participated in what, for me, is a more meaningful way. I give the animal respect and I acknowledge that the taking of its life was purposed for the sustenance of my own and my family's.

That being said, I have no commonality at all with someone who would want to shoot a giraffe or a rhino. I don't understand the desire to shoot a large, slow moving animal simply because it's "rare" or for the sheer joy of shooting it. Not my thing at all, and I generally have lack of respect for the folks that do it. There is little "sport" in it, and it isn't for food. I understand and appreciate the management efforts associated with the auctioned big game hunts in Africa, and I'm glad that the funds are put to good use. But it's playing off a twisted desire in my opinion. Wish it didn't give the rest of us hunters a bad name or project us all in a similar light, but they get a lot of press.
Right there with you. Well stated.
LIB,MR BEARS
bearassnekkid said:

cms186 said:

Two of my brothers-in-law have not purchased hamburger or fish in about 3 years because they are both very successful hunting and fishing.
cowboycwr
As usual another thread from the English guy full of errors and only half the facts.

1. Lions are not endangered.

2. Most hunters will eat part of the kill or donate it.

3. The "entitled" that Chris talks about pay large amounts of money for their hunts. That money then pays for the protection that is given to the highly endangered animals.

For example, the 24 hour armed security that watched rhinos in several African countries is paid for solely through trophy hunters.

4. Do you ***** and cry over the meat you eat and the poor animal "that doesn't know it is coming" or do you just eat like everything is ok?

5. Those entitled hints only happen specific times of the year, where there are excess of that species, etc.

6. Again even the trophy animals- zebra, giraffe, etc that get killed the meat is often used somewhere and eaten.

Hunting is not like the scene from dancing with wolves of the dead skinned buffalo left to rot, where the hunters come in, shoot the animal, take the trophy (head) and leave the rest. The photos you don't see are after the pics with the animal it is then processed for meat, trophy, hide, etc.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.