Former Baylor University fraternity president accused of rape will serve no jail time

15,062 Views | 187 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Canada2017
Wonder who put the pressure on the local DA's office to agree to such an incredibly soft plea bargain.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I wonder why the Regents didn't blow up the Phi Delts?
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
xiledinok
He didn't listen to the former regime? He can still pick up a copy of the former regime's latest book.
"What not to do" The Final trilogy from the highest priced coach never to win a major bowl game with a forward by Larry Nassar, Dennis Haster and fellow lab rat, the late Whitey Bulger.
Waco1947
Why? What did he trade for the plea?
jimdue
I read the girl's version of events. It is not your garden variety he said it was consensual and she said otherwise story of events in the cozy confines of some college kids apartment. If true, the accused should get a lengthy prison sentence.

What I have not heard (and maybe it is out there and I just do not know), is how much of this girl's story can be corroborated. Certainly if there was evidence that could cross the reasonable doubt threshold, the DA's office just really dropped the ball on this one. On the other hand, if it is just her word with no backup then the DA saved the county a ton of money and resources on a case that would have a boat load of reasonable doubt.
Aliceinbubbleland
It made the national news tonight on CBS. The embarrassment never ends it seems.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Aliceinbubbleland said:

It made the national news tonight on CBS. The embarrassment never ends it seems.
It was also one of the lead stories on the NBC Evening News. I then got to to see it again on the San Antonio local news.

It is all about leadership, and we have none.

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
At least the NCAA should see that special treatment goes to rich white guys at Baylor and not African American student athletes.
Canada2017
PartyBear said:

At least the NCAA should see that special treatment goes to rich white guys at Baylor and not African American student athletes.

THAT is a fair conclusion.

Agree
boognish_bear
Something tells me Oakman won't be quite so lucky
quash
Canada2017 said:

Wonder who put the pressure on the local DA's office to agree to such an incredibly soft plea bargain.
You have it exactly backwards. Immense pressure, national pressure, was put on the DA's office to not make this deal. And note that a judge approved it. Strother refers to the extensive pre-sentence investigation.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Canada2017
quash said:

Canada2017 said:

You have it exactly backwards. Immense pressure, national pressure, was put on the DA's office to not make this deal. And note that a judge approved it. Strother refers to the extensive pre-sentence investigation.

Then the DA should have taken his evidence to a jury and let them decide .

As it is now PartyBear's perception appears dead on.
TenBears
Affluent white defendant. Waco court. Reyna. Female who had the gall to actually skip Bible study and go out at night. Why is anyone surprised at this outcome? Shocked yes. Surprised not so much.
quash
Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

No. If the DA thought that he couldn't get a conviction then a plea bargain is the way to go.

And this has not one damn thing to do with the NCAA and Baylor.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Aliceinbubbleland
I seriously doubt he would've walked if a jury heard her cry. I'm not saying he is guilty or innocent, but a plea was a cop out. What's with these drunk coeds anyway screaming rape days afterwards? Are our girls really this naive?
PartyBear
I believe she was rushed to the hospital as soon as she was discovered on the ground somewhere.
Canada2017
quash said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

No. If the DA thought that he couldn't get a conviction then a plea bargain is the way to go.

Maybe not the NCAA but certainly some people are going to believe it has everything to do with Baylor.

Perception is often 'reality' these days of social media and 24 hour news. Even had he lost ...DA should have gone to trial.

syme
Didn't believe they could get a conviction. Why? weak evidence?

Toxicology showed the "drugged" claim was not truthful. So if he didn't do it, then this was in fact a harsh sentence.
ATL Bear
And Tevin Elliot is serving consecutive 20 year sentences.
BaylorTaxman
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

They did not have to. THIS Baylor administration actually took definitive action by expelling the accused and indefinitely suspending the fraternity's chapter.
BaylorTaxman
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

It was also one of the lead stories on the NBC Evening News. I then got to to see it again on the San Antonio local news.

Exactly how is our leadership supposed to keep news outlets from reporting on crimes?
boognish_bear
Story has made its way across the pond

LIB,MR BEARS
BaylorTaxman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Exactly how is our leadership supposed to keep news outlets from reporting on crimes?
Before they would have done it by not reporting it. It was call the Ramsower Way. RR didn't have control here though.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BaylorTaxman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Like ATL Bear and PartyBear said, if he would have been a black football player, Baylor would have destroyed him long ago.

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BaylorTaxman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

They did not have to. THIS Baylor administration actually took definitive action by expelling the accused and indefinitely suspending the fraternity's chapter.
Credit where credit is due. Good for the Baylor administration. That is the way it SHOULD work.

-- Barack Obama
YoakDaddy
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BaylorTaxman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Before they would have done it by not reporting it. It was call the Ramsower Way. RR didn't have control here though.

Did this one make the T9 reports?
quash
YoakDaddy said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BaylorTaxman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Did this one make the T9 reports?
Dunno. Feazell represents her in some capacity, a civil suit may be forthcoming.
boognish_bear
BaylorTaxman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

This was the 7th paragraph of the story:

"After the allegations surfaced, Anderson was removed from the fraternity, kicked out of Baylor and the fraternity chapter was suspended."

I doubt most readers made it that far and this headline further solidifies their thinking that BU still doesn't take sexual assault seriously.
xiledinok
Just proves what a dumb ass operation Art and Shill were running off the field.
Clearly, they didn't know what they were doing getting their players lawyers.
Thank God for football for those two would be ditch diggers out in West Texas picking Cotton probably at best!
GoneGirl
Sounds similar to the case involving a Stanford swimmer, Brock Turner. He also got probation, but he had to register as a sex offender. The judge who allowed that deal was voted out. My guess is that won't happen to Ralph Strother in Waco.

What exactly does a plea of "no contest" mean?
gobears20
Staff

Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
whitetrash
gobears20 said:

The video certainly does not substantiate the allegation in the tweet.

But as Quash and others who practice in this realm could attest, it is far easier to obtain a lynching in the court of public opinion than a conviction in a court of law.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
quash said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

(Sarcasm) I think the armchair lawyers on here know better. (Sarcasm)

What the general public doesn't understand is that this DA and his subordinates have been blindly zealous in their pursuit of justice over their time in Waco. That's their trademark, not offering sweetheart deals. So to see them criticized for this case is quite ironic.

Hey folks who don't get it...there's evidence you don't know about. That's why this kid walked with a slap on the wrist. But don't let that stop you from gnashing your teeth.
Forest Bueller
gobears20 said:

Good grief, I completely disagree with letting this rich brat off the hook with not even a slap on the wrist, but "they got aggressive with you"? You people were banging those huge cameras all over the place, looked like you were basically bumping into them with them, looks like the media was aggressive with them more than the other way around.

Drama much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.