Let's say you're the President.

2,628 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lets say you just became President and your party has full majority across the board.

What is your agenda? What do you get done?

Go.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Ludwig von Missi
The first thing that I would do is reassure the American people that contrary to what Obama and Trump may have led them to believe, the president is not the same thing as a king.
Jack Bauer
1) banish cinque to the Aleutian Islands

Coke Bear
Complete health care reform. People shouldn't have to leave the country to be the same treatment/medicines for half the costs.

I would assemble a panel of retired leaders of insurance, medical, pharma, and legal fields that no longer had financial or person ties to their respective industries. I would also include very bright, non-political economists and bioethicists.

I don't know what the answer is, but what we have now doesn't work for anyone (except for the rich).

Simultaneously, I would assemble a panel to completely revamp education. I believe that children should be exposed to a variety of different fields. I believe that the country should investigate trade or technical-school path and a college-bound path. We should get past the stigma of a "trade-school" kid. Our country needs machinists, welders, mechanics, etc. Lump the computer-science kids into this area.

I have no problem with holding teachers and students accountable, I just don't know how to do it properly. Take the top ten Midway teachers and swap them with their counter parts in Waco ISD. The scores will not change. The Midway teachers are blessed with a much better socioeconomic situation.
J.R.
Complete and total Healthcare reform

Address the deficit in a meaningful way

Infrastructure

Sensible immigration reform including DACA

Get back our relationship with our allies in Europe and Asia to blunt China

Get serious about trade in a rational way. No Tariffs
Canada2017
J.R. said:

Infrastructure

Agree with all of this. In addition....

Immediate 5 % pay increase for all enlisted military personnel.

Increase Federal Spending to rationally combat global warming.

Legalize pot nationally.

Increase the man power of ICE and the Border Patrol. Build border wall only where incursion rates justify the cost.

Flat income tax rate.

Remove military ground troops from South Korea and Western Europe .

Reduce foreign aid by 80%.

Reduce UN contribution to that of France or Germany .

Enforce Federal Laws against state or city interference. Jail time for governors and mayors if necessary.

Mandatory term limits.

Mandatory retirement for all federal officials ( elected or not elected ) at 70 years of age .

Zero political campaign contributions from any individual, corporation or lobbyist. Federal government to provide and oversee a limited amount per candidate.

End the payment of social services to all illegal aliens over 3 years .

Provide reasonable medical care , job placement and shelter for homeless US citizens .

Ban AR's

Ban silencers

Mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients .

Voter ID with every service available to aid poor citizens to obtain such ID.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

Infrastructure

Dammit J.R. I am a conservative dude but like your list.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Nice list JR and Canadian I agree with most of yours.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Infrastructure

*****EDITED

I disagree with the following on your list:

Increase Federal Spending to rationally combat global warming. Global warming is a scam. I believe in the winter, the climate changes to cold and in the summer, the climate changes to hot. Has always been that way and always will.

Remove military ground troops from South Korea and Western Europe.**Agree, but I would also include Japan on this list.

Mandatory retirement for all federal officials ( elected or not elected ) at 70 years of age . We still have some wise, experienced 70 year olds and a lot of up and coming 30 year old dumbasses! Experience is a good thing. Not a negative.

You and I think alike on most things my friend. I have edited your list with my few exceptions to yours.

-- Barack Obama
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Infrastructure

*****EDITED

I disagree with the following on your list:

Increase Federal Spending to rationally combat global warming. Global warming is a scam. I believe in the winter, the climate changes to cold and in the summer, the climate changes to hot. Has always been that way and always will.

Remove military ground troops from South Korea and Western Europe.**Agree, but I would also include Japan on this list.

Mandatory retirement for all federal officials ( elected or not elected ) at 70 years of age . We still have some wise, experienced 70 year olds and a lot of up and coming 30 year old dumbasses! Experience is a good thing. Not a negative.

You and I think alike on most things my friend. I have edited your list with my few exceptions to yours.

Your edits are welcomed my friend .

Japan....we still very much need our naval base there. If we remove our defense commitments to Japan....they will drastically increase their military. I never want to see that again .

Well 72 then...but we desperately need fresh blood and fresh ideas in government. Too many walking dementia cases ( both parties ) in Congress .

I so wish you were right about Global Warming ....absolutely 100% wish it was a fraud . But decades ago I was a research entomologist publishing my findings In refereed journals .
I know how the system works ....those guys LOVE to disprove and ridicule other guys research results . And it's not happening . Got about 95% agreement on the re trials. That is terrifying.
J.R.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

Infrastructure

Dammit J.R. I am a conservative dude but like your list.
so am I, bro
Mitch Blood Green
I'd get multiple cases of wine and invite the opposition party over. I'll let them know we may not agree tomorrow. But tonight?
CutTheTVoff
Coke Bear said:

Complete health care reform. People shouldn't have to leave the country to be the same treatment/medicines for half the costs.

How many people do you know who have left this country to get better treatment elsewhere?

I agree with healthcare reform being at the top of the list though.
riflebear
It's pathetic that these Dems voted and spoke about wall & security funding for decades but the minute a GOP President wants to finally do something about it they pass because it will help him politically. How pathetic. Even worse is the press will cover up for them and spin it as a negative against the GOP & Trump.

The liberal press is the worst thing for this country right now and has been for decades.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
1. Drill for oil on American soil.

2. Restructure welfare. Provide food for the hungry at various points. Cheese, bread, milk, peanut butter and fresh vegetables would be very cheap and maybe free. If you want anything else get a job and pay for it. Do way with student loans and state school athletics.

3. No quota systems imposed by the government. Do away with most regulations not related to safety. Marriages are for churches. Legal marriage is a contract.

4. Assemble experts and fix the insurance problem. I dont know the answer but even I am smart enough to know there isnt an easy solution.

5. Balance the budget.

6. Decriminalize drugs. There is more to this but this is just an outline.

7 Restructure education. Bring back vocational classes. Realize that not all students need college. Educate the students that want an education. Federal government should have less control and state/local more control.

8. Streamline the justice system. People that are a menace to society should be imprisoned.

9. Let freedom ring and let the market reign.

10. Rework immigration. People that want to work are welcome. Your job, your banking and your family is controlled through your visa. One DWI, etc and the whole family is deported, etc etc.

I will tell you later about the second day in office.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
CutTheTVoff said:

Coke Bear said:

How many people do you know who have left this country to get better treatment elsewhere?

I didnt leave for better treatment but I had better care in the UAE. Many prescription pills here are over the counter there.

I had a tooth pulled in Thailand and didnt bother to use my insurance. It was $40. If I had any big health issues I would have come back to Texas for care.

In China I had blood tests, an EKG, urine test, saw two drs and had two intravenous drips for under $100.

America is better for serious issues but because of the lower costs other countries are sometimes better for minor stuff.
Coke Bear
CutTheTVoff said:

Fair question ... I know a few people that took a vacation in Europe and had a procedure done for nearly the same price and the still got the European vacation.
YoakDaddy
I'd start with a 25% cut in the budget of all federal agencies.
fadskier
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

2. Restructure welfare. Provide food for the hungry at various points. Cheese, bread, milk, peanut butter and fresh vegetables would be very cheap and maybe free. If you want anything else get a job and pay for it. Do way with student loans and state school athletics.

3. No quota systems imposed by the government. Do away with most regulations not related to safety. Marriages are for churches. Legal marriage is a contract.

4. Assemble experts and fix the insurance problem. I dont know the answer but even I am smart enough to know there isnt an easy solution.

5. Balance the budget.

7 Restructure education. Bring back vocational classes. Realize that not all students need college. Educate the students that want an education. Federal government should have less control and state/local more control.

8. Streamline the justice system. People that are a menace to society should be imprisoned.

10. Rework immigration. People that want to work are welcome. Your job, your banking and your family is controlled through your visa. One DWI, etc and the whole family is deported, etc etc.

Can I be your VP? I agree with everything on this list!
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Ludwig von Missi
YoakDaddy said:

That is a great answer and one that could only be talked about AFTER you're in office...because fiscal responsibility gets slaughtered on the campaign trail. Cut military? You hate the troops and you want America overrun with terrorists. Cut education? You don't care about educating America's youth. Cut entitlements? You hate the old and the poor. Fear mongering works.
YoakDaddy
Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

That is a great answer and one that could only be talked about AFTER you're in office...because fiscal responsibility gets slaughtered on the campaign trail. Cut military? You hate the troops and you want America overrun with terrorists. Cut education? You don't care about educating America's youth. Cut entitlements? You hate the old and the poor. Fear mongering works.

Scenario was for after, so I went with 25% across the board. To get elected, I'd say 30% across the board except for the military.
Ludwig von Missi
YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Scenario was for after, so I went with 25% across the board. To get elected, I'd say 30% across the board except for the military.
And then hopefully you'd cut military spending anyways, because we aren't going to make any serious headway without cutting some serious fat off of that deapartment.
YoakDaddy
Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

And then hopefully you'd cut military spending anyways, because we aren't going to make any serious headway without cutting some serious fat off of that deapartment.

It is a bit bloated. Nukes are much cheaper than occupying countries for a decade.
jimdue
I could never get elected president because I would be way too honest about what needs to be done but here goes.

• Sorry American people but the cost to all of the promised entitlement benefits for the old and poor is way more than this country can pay long term. As in, the US government is about 20 years behind Illinois and 30 years behind where Puerto Rico is today. In order to keep from going over the cliff, we are going to make some drastic changes. The SS eligibility age is going to be raised over time and means tested. Anyone under 30 needs to start their own IRA or risk living off of charity as an old person because the federal government is getting out of the social service business. Same thing for medicare as well. Also, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is a right but healthcare is not a right. States and charities will be transitioned with how to deal with the poor and will decide if they want to guarantee cradle to grave entitlements. The Federal Government main focus in the future will be about security and hopefully within a decade or so will just mostly focus on the military, foreign policy and border security. And yes my predecessor Trump was a clown and a fraud in many ways, but we are going to build that damn wall and militarize our borders if we have to because it is not racist or mean spirited to manage who comes in our country.

Ludwig von Missi
YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

It is a bit bloated. Nukes are much cheaper than occupying countries for a decade.
Ha that might be the understatement of the century. There is TONS of fat that needs to be trimmed off of that department. It isn't popular because people make it out like defense cuts are an aggression towards our soldiers...but it's really just aggression towards layers upon layers of bureaucracy and pointless spending.
YoakDaddy
Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Ha that might be the understatement of the century. There is TONS of fat that needs to be trimmed off of that department. It isn't popular because people make it out like defense cuts are an aggression towards our soldiers...but it's really just aggression towards layers upon layers of bureaucracy and pointless spending.

It's about the take-home pay (as always). Their budget could be cut, but if all grades got a pay raise (especially those grunts like my cousins who are literally kicking in doors), it'd go through. I wouldn't campaign on it tho.
Ludwig von Missi
YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

It's about the take-home pay (as always). Their budget could be cut, but if all grades got a pay raise (especially those grunts like my cousins who are literally kicking in doors), it'd go through. I wouldn't campaign on it tho.
Unfortunatley it's never about take home pay. That is typically used as an excuse to throw billions into a black hole.
YoakDaddy
Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Unfortunatley it's never about take home pay. That is typically used as an excuse to throw billions into a black hole.

Take-home pay increases are where the re-election votes are.
Ludwig von Missi
YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Crash Davis said:

YoakDaddy said:

Take-home pay increases are where the re-election votes are.
Right. I'm just lamenting the fact that people can't campaign on practical spending cuts to all areas of government without being painted as anti-military, anti-education, etc.
Prairie_Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Global warming is a scam.

Hard to argue with JR/Canada list, well done and refreshing to see something on this board that isn't hyper-partisan and predictable.

R2whatever, curious about this comment you made. Quick question for context, do you (or anyone immediately close to you) draw any regular income (whether investment grade/salary) from the oil/gas industry (honor system)? I think that that is an important caveat, especially on this board where many good people work and obviously that influences heavily what they want to believe regarding this issue.

I think Canada point about contributions is a good one, and not sure why it isn't talked about more. In other words, who on an individual level would be against prohibiting major corporations (oil/gas, Pharm, food, etc) from influencing politicians? The days of needing a load of cash to take out ads in every newspaper/tv station are gone. You can have a great professional website loaded and being updated in real time with tons of your information for <20k. Very few people are silver spoon millionaires/billionaires in this country, seems odd we keep electing them to represent us.
Midnight Rider
Expand the College Football Playoff.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
i agree with you but its not goverments role
cinque
Ensure that all of my policies proposals were designed to make us peacemakers instead of peacekeepers.
Doc Holliday
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

5. Balance the budget.

Pretty good list. I'm on board with most of it.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
cinque said:

Ensure that all of my policies proposals were designed to make us peacemakers instead of peacekeepers.
Excellent! Visualize whirled peas.

-- Barack Obama
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.