Chief justice of the California Supreme Court leaves GOP

1,043 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Canada2017
GoneGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...in the wake of the Kavanaugh hearings.

https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/2018/12/14/in-wake-of-kavanaugh-hearings-california-chief-justices-drops-republican-party-affiliation/?kw=In%20Wake%20of%20Kavanaugh%20Hearings%2C%20California%20Chief%20Justice%20Drops%20Republican%20Party%20Affiliation&et=editorial&bu=NationalLawJournal&cn=20181214&src=EMC-Email&pt=NewsroomUpdates

Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye of California discusses threats to judicial independence during a panel titled "Undermining the Courts and the Media: The Consequences for American Democracy," organized by The National Judicial College, at the Press Club building in Washington, D.C., Thursday, Dec. 13. (Photo: Diego M. Radzinschi/ALM)

California Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye dropped her longtime Republican party affiliation this fall, choosing to re-register as a no-party-preference voter in the wake of the controversial confirmation hearings for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
Cantil-Sakauye told California news outlet CALmatters, which first reported her affiliation switch Thursday, that she had become increasingly uncomfortable with the Republican Party's direction in the state and at the national level.

The chief justice said she had been considering the move "for some time" and made the decision after friends assured her that "you didn't leave the party. The party left you."

The revelation follows Cantil-Sakauye's confirmation to The Recorder this week that she was approached about running for governor this year. She did not name her recruiters, although as an alumni of the Gov. George Deukmejian administrationshe was deputy legislative secretaryshe retains ties to political advocates around the state.

Cantil-Sakauye said she would have had to leave the high court within a month to run for governor. Citing the time crunch, her work on the court and her two college-aged daughters, she declined. Asked if she might run for a political office in the future, Cantil-Sakauye said she's focused on completing the four years left in her term as chief justice.

Before she switched her party registration, Cantil-Sakauye was one of the last Republicans holding a statewide, albeit nonpartisan, office in politically blue California. Her views, however, have at times put her at odds with the increasingly conservative GOP.

She assailed the Trump administration last year for sending federal agents into state courthouses to detain undocumented immigrants. She joined state Democrats to champion a no-cash-bail system. And in her annual speech to the Legislature earlier this year, she decried the "unprecedented disruption, attacks on the free press, threats to the rule of civility and the rule of law and judicial independence" happening "on the national front."
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
If or when we finally build the Wall, we should spend an extra $10 billion to wall of California as well.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Redbrickbear
So the dems try to destroy a man reputation and life with 30 year old sex accusations from high school.....

And that is the reason she is leaving the Republicans? You can't make this sh*t up

CutTheTVoff
What was her issue with the Kavanaugh appointment? The article doesn't say.
Jack Bauer
Cool story, bro.

I know at least 4 Senators that lost their job for the exact same view.
Doc Holliday
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
GoneGirl
Redbrickbear said:

So the dems try to destroy a man reputation and life with 30 year old sex accusations from high school.....

And that is the reason she is leaving the Republicans? You can't make this sh*t up

The Dems did not try to destroy a man's reputation. Blasey-Ford was not part of a conspiracy. She was reluctant to come forward. She felt doing so was her civic duty. I know you don't believe that, but it really is what happened. Kavanaugh's rant that helped feed the conspiracy theory denigrated his credibility and that of the Court's, and Republicans' whole-hearted acceptance of it detracts from the GOP's already low credibility on judicial appointments. Pence just had to break a vote against a federal appointee the ABA rejected as unqualified.
ATL Bear
Jinx 2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

The Dems did not try to destroy a man's reputation. Blasey-Ford was not part of a conspiracy. She was reluctant to come forward. She felt doing so was her civic duty. I know you don't believe that, but it really is what happened. Kavanaugh's rant that helped feed the conspiracy theory denigrated his credibility and that of the Court's, and Republicans' whole-hearted acceptance of it detracts from the GOP's already low credibility on judicial appointments. Pence just had to break a vote against a federal appointee the ABA rejected as unqualified.
She came forward with unverifiable claims that not even she could confirm, nor any of the people that she said were there could recall. It was glommed onto by the media and the opposition. Maybe not a conspiracy, but a gotcha ambush and mob attack. It's also typical of today's politics.
Doc Holliday
ATL Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

She came forward with unverifiable claims that not even she could confirm, nor any of the people that she said were there could recall. It was glommed onto by the media and the opposition. Maybe not a conspiracy, but a gotcha ambush and mob attack. It's also typical of today's politics.
Jinx cannot see this because Jinx believes one party will solve all the problems in a binary fashion.

This is actually a good example of tribalism in real time. Even reading my post, Jinx will continue to hold onto mob mentality even while being aware of facts because tribalism is so deeply rooted.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
contrario
Jinx 2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

The Dems absolutely tried to destroy his reputation. And the reason they did it was to win cheap political points. Unverified claims come in on a daily basis for everyone in DC, but they are usually dismissed when they have twice as much evidence as Ford's claim. The fact is, his reputation was impeccable for his entire life and they found one person with a claim from decades ago with zero facts to support the claim. And they weaponized that to destroy his reputation just because they hate Trump. It's disgusting and it will be used against the democrats when they are back in power. That's what annoys me is the one-up-man-ship of both parties.
GoneGirl
Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Jinx cannot see this because Jinx believes one party will solve all the problems in a binary fashion.

This is actually a good example of tribalism in real time. Even reading my post, Jinx will continue to hold onto mob mentality even while being aware of facts because tribalism is so deeply rooted.
Please stick to stating your own thoughts and not mine.

I am trying to imagine what a federal judge would have done if Kavanaugh had been a witness in his courtroom and responding to questioning from his own attorney or the opposing attorney the way he responded to the Democratic senators. The disrespect with which he treated them--especially the women--was totally unacceptable and left Amy Klobachar speechless. I think it was a calculated permance for a single audience--Trump--which Kavanaugh knew would also work with his supporters and the (male) GOP senators on the panel, And it did.

I'm probably less excited about Gorsuch as a justice from a standpoint of how he's likely to rule, but he was obviously well-qualified for the job, and elections have consequences, even if they were manipulated by gerrymandering and Russian propaganda, and--possibly--leaks of damaging information intended to harm the Clinton campaign and favor Trump, whether those involved Trump's campaign staff or not. From a conservative standpoint, Gorsuch was a good pick.

What I want is a fair fight. I want Republicans to quit pulling shlt like McConnell pulled by not even SPEAKING to Merrick Garland. I want Democrats to take the GOP to court in Wisconsin for trying to back-engineer governmental control now that Scott Walker lost. I hope Walker never wins another office for his involvement in this skulduggery. I want the gerrymandering to stop. I want the disenfranchisement of black and brown people to stop. I want public servants who are running for president to release their tax returns and not to criticize federal judges for ruling against their predatory Trump University sales and business models. I don't want anyone who would be involved in a business like that in public office.

There are Republicans out there like that right now. But you and other Trump supporters don't support those guys; you support the thugs.For that, you deserve to lose. And I think you will in 2020. More people everyday are not voting Republican because Republicans aren't supporting the rule of law or fighting fair.
Canada2017
Jinx 2 said:

Redbrickbear said:

The Dems did not try to destroy a man's reputation.

Bull****

100% total, flagrant Bull****
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.