What happened to Democrats on immigration?

1,113 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by riflebear
riflebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
it's amazing the 180 they have performed in less than a decade all because they realize it helps them in the polls. I never thought I'd see the day when an elected politician who took an oath to protect and serve American citizens would favor illegal immigrants more than the safety of Americans.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I didnt listen to him but I doubt he said he was for illegal immigration. You seem to think that being against the wall means you are for open borders. It doesnt. Did you really believe Pres. Trump could build a wall like he promised? Most voters realized it wouldnt happen.
Doc Holliday
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I didnt listen to him but I doubt he said he was for illegal immigration. You seem to think that being against the wall means you are for open borders. It doesnt. Did you really believe Pres. Trump could build a wall like he promised? Most voters realized it wouldnt happen.
This country needs a wall, no but's about it.

But what is happening is both parties are making cash off perpetuating illegal immigration...they have no intentions of solving it.

Doesn't matter if Trump can or can't build the walll, he wants it and he was a much better choice than Clinton period.

It's pointless to argue binary or the two party system as they are both corrupt to the core.
I don't care if Trump is effective or not...he's a wrecking ball and a message to the two party BS system by the people.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
CutTheTVoff
I've noticed this too. Bill Clinton mentioned building a wall in his inaugural speech. Democratics have shifted markedly left since Clinton. Bill was the last liberal to hold the Oval Office. Even he was a far cry from Kennedy who would be recognized as a conservative by today's youth.

Perhaps this is why leftists term themselves as progressive; they're moving ever further from the authentic American ideals that great liberals such as FDR, John Kennedy and Rev. Martin Luther King espoused.
riflebear
riflebear
I find it ironic liberals are on TV daily hammering our president for allegedly breaking laws, but are also on tv daily fighting for illegal immigrants who also BROKE the law.

riflebear
riflebear
Jack Bauer
That moment when illegal aliens became "undocumented Americans".

HuMcK
The House GOP scuttled the 2014 attempt at immigration reform that got 68 votes in the Senate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Security,_Economic_Opportunity,_and_Immigration_Modernization_Act_of_2013

Senate GOP killed an attempt in 2007 that passed the house.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Immigration_Reform_Act_of_2007

In 2017 the Senate GOP refused to even bring any immigration bills to the floor in fear that they would actually pass.

It hasn't historically been Democrats preventing reform. Republicans know that a focus on xenophobia and racial grievance animates their voters, that's why they prefer to keep it open as an issue and focus on it to the exclusion of other topics, and that's why they use the "open borders" lie so often. It's all part of a strategy to appeal to low education white voters. It's a neat trick tbh, less than 10yrs out from the economy being nearly destroyed by large banks and corporations, Republicans succesfully got people to forget about that and blame poor brown people for their troubles.
riflebear
HuMcK said:

The House GOP scuttled the 2014 attempt at immigration reform that got 68 votes in the Senate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Security,_Economic_Opportunity,_and_Immigration_Modernization_Act_of_2013

Lets tell the whole truth here. Of course Democrats passed a bill legalizing immigrants.

But House Republicans again opposed the Senate immigration proposal, arguing that border security needed to be addressed first before legalizing the status of millions of immigrants.

"I've made it clear and I'll make it clear again, the House does not intend to take up the Senate bill," then-House Speaker John Boehner said July 2013. "The House is going to do its own job in developing an immigration bill."

He reiterated his position in November 2013: "The idea that we're going to take up a 1,300-page bill that no one had ever read, which is what the Senate did, is not going to happen in the House," Boehner said. "And frankly, I'll make clear we have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.