The Clear Win in the Shut Down - Reprivatize Airport Screening

1,173 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by contrario
Golem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With TSA screening being the only real effect normal people might experience in this shut down, the whole thing has highlighted an issue that has been a long time coming - The TSA shouldn't exist. There is no reason Airport screening should be done by federal employees.

The longer this rolls on, the more likely people are to recognize this truth. Eliminate the TSA. Reprivatize screening and make it efficient again.

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article224978685.html
Mitch Blood Green
GolemIII said:

With TSA screening being the only real effect normal people might experience in this shut down, the whole thing has highlighted an issue that has been a long time coming - The TSA shouldn't exist. There is no reason Airport screening should be done by federal employees.

The longer this rolls on, the more likely people are to recognize this truth. Eliminate the TSA. Reprivatize screening and make it efficient again.

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article224978685.html

Private doesn't mean efficient. If the TSA was private (a nightmare for us who use TSA weekly), air transpiration would be shut down today.

These fine folks are working out of a misplaced duty to us. Misplaced? Yes! If my boss wanted me to work for an IOU, I'd have to tell her, hell no!
Golem
None of that's true, Tommie. Federal shutdowns don't effect local private employees. The screening would be faster, more efficient and wouldn't involve fired McDonald's workers.
Mitch Blood Green
GolemIII said:

None of that's true, Tommie. Federal shutdowns don't effect local private employees. The screening would be faster, more efficient and wouldn't involve fired McDonald's workers.

Today (I can only talk about what we know), government contracted employees are going without pay. This is different from government employees going without pay in that the private employees will not get back pay.

Assume our current entrenchment continues. Will critical contract employeees be required to work for free?

I don't know but can't imagine that they would be.
Yes, private employees DO hired fired McDonald's workers (or anyone willing to work for $12/hour.
bearassnekkid
tommie said:

GolemIII said:

Today (I can only talk about what we know), government contracted employees are going without pay. This is different from government employees going without pay in that the private employees will not get back pay.

Assume our current entrenchment continues. Will critical contract employeees be required to work for free?

Yes, private employees DO hired fired McDonald's workers (or anyone willing to work for $12/hour.
You serious, Clark?

You think privatized airport security would be less efficient and lower quality than government run? GTHO with that crap. No sane human thinks that.

Also, Fedex and the US Postal Service say "Hi." USPS offers less reliable service with inferior tracking capability and it operates at a $3 BILLION dollar loss per year. Fedex operates at a 1.8 BILLION dollar profit while delivering better, faster service. The same thing would happen with airport security.
KingHendy
bearassnekkid said:

tommie said:

GolemIII said:

You serious, Clark?

You think privatized airport security would be less efficient and lower quality than government run? GTHO with that crap. No sane human thinks that.

Also, Fedex and the US Postal Service say "Hi." USPS offers less reliable service with inferior tracking capability and it operates at a $3 BILLION dollar loss per year. Fedex operates at a 1.8 BILLION dollar profit while delivering better, faster service. The same thing would happen with airport security.

There are already private security operations at many airports now. I will look up the total. 2 that I have gone through in the last 2 years include Rochester and Syracuse NY. You wouldn't know unless paying attention as the uniforms are similar but they are much more professional and friendly than the clowns I run into on a weekly basis.
contrario
Certain private government contractors aren't getting with the shut down. The same would be true if screening was privatized.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.