Baylor's President: Sexual-Assault Scandal 'Will Always Be a Part of Who We Are'

7,109 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Forest Bueller
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
ValhallaBear
You know what?

Screw her
BellCountyBear
Spineless.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
gobears20 said:

THAT IS THE WRONG MESSAGE. That is not who we are. The little bit of regret I had about my amicable divorce from Baylor is gone now. Dear Lord! Embarrassing!

It is all about leadership, and we still have NONE.

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
I think what she is trying to say is that it is part of our history and we will draw lessons from it now and in the future. Why she didn't just say it that way, I have no idea. We are terrible at messaging.

Also she mentioned some senior administration officials there during the scandal are still there because they know how to avoid this issues in the future. Hell that test means no one had to be fired.
Florda_mike
Why did she even say anything at all??? Why?

And then to say that?

Did someone tell her to talk about this? Did somebody tell her to say this?

It amazes how dumb Baylor can market itself sometimes! It's a perpetual problem!

My gosh
Osodecentx
Thanks BOR
GrowlTowel
Ridiculous. Surprise we haven't given back our Big XII trophies yet.
PartyBear
Maybe it doesn't add it like I'm starting to wonder but two developments. Art is interviewing and this statement. Perhaps Art unofficially knows he is cleared as does Southern Miss. Baylor may have unofficial word Baylor will be sanctioned because they still have senior administration officials involved employed and she is trying to ge out in front to explain why they are still employed and why it's a good thing.

It's a weird un asked for random tweet on the same day Art is interviewing for his return to college football. I'm not sure it's coincidence.
Doc Holliday
Marxism killed Baylor.

I'm not even joking.
bularry
Did all y'all read the context of the comments and the article?
bularry
Doc Holliday said:

Marxism killed Baylor.

I'm not even joking.

Oh, please, due tell
Doc Holliday
PartyBear said:

Maybe it doesn't add it like I'm starting to wonder but two developments. Art is interviewing and this statement. Perhaps Art unofficially knows he is cleared as does Southern Miss. Baylor may have unofficial word Baylor will be sanctioned because they still have senior administration officials involved employed and she is trying to ge out in front to explain why they are still employed and why it's a good thing.

It's a weird un asked for random tweet on the same day Art is interviewing for his return to college football. I'm not sure it's coincidence.
Makes sense, very plausible.

Damage control is a well practiced art not to mention race.
Florda_mike
PartyBear said:

Baylor may have unofficial word Baylor will be sanctioned because they still have senior administration officials involved employed and she is trying to get out in front to explain why they are still employed and why it's a good thing.

Makes sense, except, are you saying she's trying to explain why it's a good thing that the senior admin involved are still employed? Looks like sanctions may be coming because Baylor has done nothing to the senior officials involved? If that's why sanctions are leveled then things need to be turned upside down with hierarchy like many of us have said all along! Dammit
BaylorOkie
PartyBear said:

I think what she is trying to say is that it is part of our history and we will draw lessons from it now and in the future. Why she didn't just say it that way, I have no idea. We are terrible at messaging.

But that is how she said it:

"What happened will always be a part of who we are at Baylor. It will always be a part of our story. It will always be a part of what influences and informs the decisions that we make."
PartyBear
Saying the scandal is part of who we are is very poorly phrased and poorly messaged it goes down with the "we are not an institution of football statement that also was not intended as it was said but has created fodder still today. It was an event that happened to learn from but even then the scandal is not who are or even who were either. It was a mistake that does not define us but one we can learn from now and in the future.
Florda_mike
PartyBear said:

Saying the scandal is part of who we are is very poorly phrased and poorly messaged it goes down with the "we are not an institution of football statement that also was not intended as it was said but has created fodder still today. It was an event that happened to learn from but even then the scandal is not who are or even who were either. It was a mistake that does not define us but one we can learn from now and in the future.

Precisely

I'm afraid if sanctions come down because nothing has been done of what was mostly mentioned in PH Report(with Regents and hierarchy suffering consequences) this civil war will start up all over again

Perhaps she has knowledge that the symptoms of the saga(Briles) were not the answers the NCAA was looking for?
DioNoZeus
I am really glad none of you are in charge of PR for Baylor
BaylorOkie
I agree with you, and suspect Livingstone does, as well. Maybe "part of our history" would have been a better phrase, followed by how we learn from it.
Florda_mike
DioNoZeus said:

Makes sense for many here unfortunately including Baylor hierarchy and BOR

So you approve of being cowards and succumbing to ESPN and media?

Frankly I don't approve of people attacking my integrity without putting up a fight. Trust me though, I understand cowering has been the Baylor way in my decades of experience
Florda_mike
BaylorOkie said:

I agree with you, and suspect Livingstone does, as well. Maybe "part of our history" would have been a better phrase, followed by how we learn from it.

But this how Baylor markets itself unfortunately

People that can't sell don't need to be in positions to sell the university

Unfortunately she is
Doc Holliday
bularry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Marxism killed Baylor.

I'm not even joking.

Oh, please, due tell
Radical leftist professors and administrators are beginning to indoctrinate Baylor students.
ValhallaBear
Maybe part of the Welcome Week initiation for the incoming male students could be getting sodomized by the incoming female students while they yell 'this is for what you are going to do to me!'
Midnight Rider
I prefer to play ostrich and not be reminded of this unpleasantness.
Florda_mike
Midnight Rider said:

LMAO
FormerFlash
DioNoZeus said:

You can't honestly say the phrasing in that tweet wasn't poorly put together.
Sic Everyone.
Osodecentx
Midnight Rider said:

Why don't we start a tradition of reliving it once a year so we can groan and cry out to God annually? BOR have labelled BU as Rape U for a long time
BellCountyBear
When will the self-flagellation end?
Redbrickbear
3 things from the article:

1. She should not have said, "What happened will always be a part of who we are at Baylor."

Sexual assault is not who we are at Baylor. She should have just stuck to the second part of her statement that It will always be a part of what influences and informs the decisions that we make.

Its a minor criticism but she should never use that statement again in interviews.

2. "Livingstone's predecessor, Ken Starr, lost his job as a result of the scandal. But a handful of campus officials who were in senior leadership roles remain at Baylor. Because Kevin Jackson, vice president for student life, and Christopher Holmes, the general counsel, were on the campus when serious errors were made"

Its shocking to me that some of the major players of this scandal are still on campus. I mean how do we get rid of this infestation? Seriously everyone involved in this scandal should have been given their walking papers by now.

3. [But the president expressed concern about Title IX regulations proposed by the Education Department regarding campus sexual misconduct. She said they would prompt potentially harmful changes at Baylor. Under the proposed rules, colleges would have to hold hearings at which alleged victims and accused students could cross-examine each other, through an adviser "aligned with the party."
Livingstone worries that the disciplinary proceedings would become too courtlike and might intimidate victims. Colleges would probably have to ensure that both parties had legal counsel, she said, and that another lawyer would oversee the hearings.]

This is shocking to me.......Livingston really thinks we should still be holding these private Kangaroo courts on campus where the accused has no right to question the accuser and no representation? And guess what Mrs. President....these proceedings you are holding are already "courtlike".

She seems to like the current (probably un-constitutional system) where the university gets to act like a prosecutor but the accused does not get to ask questions or defend themselves and the university commissars can unilaterally kick someone out of school for any reason.

That she thinks giving the accused due process is "problematic" is very very very concerning.
Johnny Bear
God help us if we go through another 2010 / 2011 type crises with the Big 12 possibly disbanding and she is our President (which could easily happen around 2025 or even before). And you can say or think whatever you want about Starr, but he is a big reason there is still a Big 12 and BU is still playing in power conference.
Redbrickbear
DioNoZeus said:

Oh yea....because the people in charge of PR at Baylor have done a real bang up job over the past 3 years.

Baylor has possibility had the WORST public relations of any college ever.

Even Penn State's PR department did a better job.
whitetrash
Redbrickbear said:

Because Kevin Jackson, vice president for student life, and Christopher Holmes, the general counsel, were on the campus when serious errors were made"

Its shocking to me that some of the major players of this scandal are still on campus. I mean how do we get rid of this infestation? Seriously everyone involved in this scandal should have been given their walking papers by now.

If Jackson was gone, no one would be there to severely sanction a sorority for an 8-second video of singing along verbatim with a popular song.
Redbrickbear
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Baylor-sorority-sanctioned-over-racially-tinged-video-504568331.html

[As soon as University officials learned of the report, we began an immediate inquiry to gather additional information and initiated our established student organization conduct review process," VP for Student Life Kevin P. Jackson said in a statement.

aid Jackson. "Baylor is strongly committed to our Christian mission, which includes understanding the importance of cultural sensitivity and ensuring we are respectful of the words that we use and their potential effect on others."]

Where does Baylor find these little cultural-Marxist clowns?

sic'ing the political commissars on sorority girls over a rap lyric?

And think of the racist double standard here.....we (non whites) can sing what songs we want....you whites may not unless we say you can.

This is about exercising cultural power and intimidation...not inclusion.
Redbrickbear
Also, PS why do we keep hiring aggys at Baylor?

Kevin Jackson Bio: 30 years of higher education experience, Dr. Kevin P. Jackson currently serves as the vice president for student life at Baylor University. In this position, he is responsible for leading a comprehensive student affairs division dedicated to enhancing students' educational, spiritual, cultural, and physical development. Before joining Baylor University in 2009, Dr. Jackson served Texas A&M University for 22 years in positions that included assistant vice president for student affairs and visiting assistant professor with the College of Education and Human Development, director for student activities, and senior associate director of the Memorial Student Center. Prior to his work at A&M, he served as an associate director for student union and activities at the University of Denver. He earned his doctorate in Educational Human Resource Development from Texas A&M University,
FormerFlash
During my time at Baylor I worked directly with Kevin Jackson for several years. I know him to be a thoughtful leader, a caring Christian, and committed to the success of Baylor University and it's students. He is a good man. Let's stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater and jumping to the conclusion that anyone who was there at that time should be immediately ousted with no proof or insinuation they even did anything wrong.
Sic Everyone.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.