Now It's the SBC's turn in the barrel

2,197 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Justin Kates
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Houston Chronicle begins a three part series of sexual abuse and cover up in the Southern Baptist Convention churches.

Not sure if the link will work since it's subscription.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/Southern-Baptist-sexual-abuse-spreads-as-leaders-13588038.php

I didn't know Second Baptist (what a silly name) was a member of the SBC. I always thought it meant second place.
cinque
The only difference between the RCC and other The denominations on this issue is scale and scope.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Justin Kates
One question that I have is this: What can churches do if they suspect something but don't have proof?

Say they fire someone who they believe is a perv. They can't go out and tell people. They can't give bad references without proof. Lawsuits fly over that kind of stuff. What's a church to do?

1. You have to protect your own congregation first.
2. You can't make unsubstantiated claims against someone who hasn't been caught.

I think this is partly the problem. Legally, are their hands tied?

Transparency: Second Baptist is my church home. Has been since 1981.
midgett
Sadly, it's a risk in every religious organization. There are always predators using covers of accepted trust to target victims.

Churches need strict policies for employees and volunteers. Plus, they need to advertise these policies to the entire congregation.

Many churches like mine do the former. I'm not aware of any church that does the latter. If parents and children know a minister shouldn't be alone with a child, it can reduce these problems. Women should know they should never be alone with a minister.

I had two students who were going with me to visit a 3rd student in the hospital. They couldn't meet me at the church. When I dropped one off, I had the other immediately call his mother to inform her we had just dropped off the 2nd student. His mom knew it was about a 10 minute drive. I do those things to protect me.

All the criticism Mike Pence got from liberals from having accountability measures in place. His policies protect women and himself. Everyone wins.
Canada2017
Pence's personal policy limiting his socializing with women looks smarter and smarter every week.
Forest Bueller
Canada2017 said:

Pence's personal policy limiting his socializing with women looks smarter and smarter every week.

With #metoo it is the only way for a professional to operate.

Pence was simply ahead of his time.
Waco1947
midgett said:

Sadly, it's a risk in every religious organization. There are always predators using covers of accepted trust to target victims.

Churches need strict policies for employees and volunteers. Plus, they need to advertise these policies to the entire congregation.

Many churches like mine do the former. I'm not aware of any church that does the latter. If parents and children know a minister shouldn't be alone with a child, it can reduce these problems. Women should know they should never be alone with a minister.

I had two students who were going with me to visit a 3rd student in the hospital. They couldn't meet me at the church. When I dropped one off, I had the other immediately call his mother to inform her we had just dropped off the 2nd student. His mom knew it was about a 10 minute drive. I do those things to protect me.

All the criticism Mike Pence got from liberals from having accountability measures in place. His policies protect women and himself. Everyone wins.
Yep. The UMC takes it seriously. Every 3-5 years I have to re certified and have background check. We have had our share of wrong
drahthaar
Waco1947 said:

midgett said:

Yep. The UMC takes it seriously. Every 3-5 years I have to re certified and have background check. We have had our share of wrong
Yep.

I'd have figured by now we all knew that specific procedures have to be in place to go with education.

Not to have that and to adhere to it burned the Baptists.
Forest Bueller
Waco1947 said:

midgett said:

I will say this, it seems the UMC is doing everything they can to prevent abuse. But, with millions of members, and hundreds of thousands of leaders, there will be predators trying to infiltrate the honest well intended leaders and teachers in any religious group. That includes the SBC, the Methodist and any denomination.
Waco1947
We had and have our share of predators. We aren't without sin.
Forest Bueller
Waco1947 said:

We had and have our share of predators. We aren't without sin.
No group is Waco. Just a situation where every organization needs training and education, and even then a few evil people will slip through. It's good the UMC is trying their best here.
BaylorOkie
Canada2017 said:

Indeed. Although, many of us realized from the beginning how smart it is.
Canada2017
BaylorOkie said:

Canada2017 said:

Indeed. Although, many of us realized from the beginning how smart it is.

Yes....but remember how the libs tried to criticize him over his policy ?

Naturally not a single apology .
Redbrickbear
Don't wanna just be seen as a Baptist defender/homer.

But:

That is some slanted media for sure.

They say Texas has the most......well so sh*t Mr. Media Man.....Texas has 27 million people and a lot of Southern baptists.....more of the 380 are going to live in Texas than say North Dakota with only 850,000 people.

Also, there is no "southern baptist church" like many people think and which the media does not do a good job of explaining to readers. Just 40,000-50,000 independent churches that work together in a group called the SBC.

Also, we have no professional priesthood. Volunteers and paid staff (pastors) cycle in and out of Baptist churches all the time. Hundreds of thousands of "workers" paid and unpaid at these churches every year.

"In 2015, last year for numbers, the SBC had 47,000 associated churches and 15 million members. Using the 380 church workers accused of sexual crimes we wind up with .8% of churches having an issue."

Except for making it a priority at the conference meetings to talk about this serious issue.....and making a general data base of offenders ever church can check before hiring someone.......I'm not really sure what the SBC can do.

Its a societal problem of sexual abuse....and predators are always going to flock to places they can find prey.

How do we stop it? I really don't know.....I wish I did

Justin Kates
nm
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.