The UMC, Justice for Gay Christians and the way forward

7,975 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Waco1947
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Iwithout demanding conformity on conflicts deemed to be non essential.

chuckle

The ability of Jesus to save and liberate you for discipleship in the community does not turn on your sexuality.
It just doesn't.

Sure

Just ignore whatever parts of the Old and New Testament that dont fit your narrative .

It's the new feel good 'theology '.

No liar. Cinque and I both begin with the Bible. That we interpret different does NOT mean we doubt the authority. The trouble with conservatives is their claim to the "only Truth." God's love overcomes bias.
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

chuckle

The ability of Jesus to save and liberate you for discipleship in the community does not turn on your sexuality.
It just doesn't.

Sure

Just ignore whatever parts of the Old and New Testament that dont fit your narrative .

No liar. Cinque and I both begin with the Bible. That we interpret different does NOT mean we doubt the authority. The trouble with conservatives is their claim to the "only Truth." God's love overcomes bias.

No. You are evil. You purposely lead people off the path. You do it everyday and you have damned hundreds if not thousands.
cinque
GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

The few relevant passages on homosexuality have been beaten to the point that they're no longer moving. Since there still appears to be disagreement on the same side, the only thing left to decide is how then shall we live in order to make disciples for the transformation of the world.

Few? There are thousands of pages. Not one says to lick it up or stick in the ****ter. Not one. Why?
There are a few RELEVANT passages. Bible readers know this.
Make Racism Wrong Again
cinque
LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

LUAs usual you make rather obvious attempts to twist the facts .

Have gay priests and bishops existed through the centuries....yes. But they are expected to be chaste....as are all priests .

The priest who performed our marriage ...remains a friend of mine. Always told my wife that Father John was gay ....she didn't believe me. But in my eyes it was obvious.

Finally Father John came out of the 'closet'....and was immediately bounced . John remains very bitter about his termination.

The Catholic Church teaches that homosexual acts are 'contrary to natural law ', acts of grave depravity ' and under no circumstances can they be approved '. But that persons experiencing homosexual tendencies must be accorded respect and dignity '.

Are there 'sinners' practicing homosexuality in the Church today....no doubt. We are all sinners.....especially Aggie Catholics. But such behavior goes directly against doctrine .

Has your church stopped making the distinction between the verb and the noun? If not, why was your priest bounced? Did he cease to in persona Christi because he told the truth?

John was accused of hitting on one of his male parishioners during a retreat . The parishioner was adamant about it and when John admitted he was gay.....bye-bye.

Though John and I are still friends...I agree with the Bishops decision.

No matter how you try to spin it....homosexual practices are vehemently condemned in Scripture. You can play word games to your hearts content....but it's very clear .

The key word ( at least in Catholicism) is ...practices.

Priests are expected to be chaste . Do some fail ? Sure.
We all fail in various ways at various times . I don't worry if either of the 2 priests at our Church are gay or not. All I know is that they are awesome priests . Best I have ever been associated with.

Regardless human failures do not justify a condemned practice .

So invent your own theology, ignoring whatever you want and call yourself a Christian. It's a false position because one is ignoring the very teachings of the Faith .

But these days.....'pick and chose' hypocrisy is in style .
Was John's case handled in much the same way straight clergy are disciplined when they experience human/moral failure? My church went through a very painful experience with a very popular married with children and closeted ordained elder. As I look back on it, the real tragedy to me was this pastor's belief that in order from him to serve Christ faithfully through the church, he would need to be married and hide his sexuality from himself in a way and from the church. In a sense, his entire ministry (as gifted as some thought him to be) was fraudulent, because he felt he could not operate in integrity. The church is to blame for that, IMO.

That is ridiculous....the Church is not at fault. The individual lived a lie. Unfortunate for him, his family and your congregation.

John has been a good friend of mine for over 30 years. But as a Catholic priest....in a position of trust .....he had no business hitting on that parishioner.

There is nothing 'wrong' ( in my opinion ) with homosexuality. But a practicing homosexual should not be in a position of trust within the Catholic Church .

If 'new' churches want to play their little 'feel good ' games....that's totally up to them ( and you ).

But they are not Christian churches .

I agree with you about your friend. I share a similar position about the guy at my church. The church's hypocrisy should be called into account because while it acknowledges (and in some cases) celebrates the gifts and graces of the of the individual to obligates them to be out of integrity as a condition of being in good standing within the church. If the church accepts that these people are called by God into the ministry, then it shouldn't knoeingly require them to be dishonest.

Wrong

Practicing homosexuals are not allowed into positions of trust in Christian Churches ....period .

It goes directly against Scripture .

Period
pick the sin. Would any church want a practicing liar leading them. A practicing swindler perhaps. If a person doesn't repent of their sins but rather choosss to embrace their sin, no matter what that sin is, I hardly think they are called to lead a church. They may tell others they are called but, I highly doubt that is the case.
I'm curious. Why do you think serious Christians find themselves repeatedly having to go to the altar?
in what since?
In the sense that Christians are called to confess their sins. Sounds like you think it's a one and done deal.
Make Racism Wrong Again
cinque
LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

UAs usual you make rather obvious attempts to twist the facts .

Have gay priests and bishops existed through the centuries....yes. But they are expected to be chaste....as are all priests .

The priest who performed our marriage ...remains a friend of mine. Always told my wife that Father John was gay ....she didn't believe me. But in my eyes it was obvious.

Finally Father John came out of the 'closet'....and was immediately bounced . John remains very bitter about his termination.

The Catholic Church teaches that homosexual acts are 'contrary to natural law ', acts of grave depravity ' and under no circumstances can they be approved '. But that persons experiencing homosexual tendencies must be accorded respect and dignity '.

Are there 'sinners' practicing homosexuality in the Church today....no doubt. We are all sinners.....especially Aggie Catholics. But such behavior goes directly against doctrine .

Has your church stopped making the distinction between the verb and the noun? If not, why was your priest bounced? Did he cease to in persona Christi because he told the truth?

John was accused of hitting on one of his male parishioners during a retreat . The parishioner was adamant about it and when John admitted he was gay.....bye-bye.

No matter how you try to spin it....homosexual practices are vehemently condemned in Scripture. You can play word games to your hearts content....but it's very clear .

We all fail in various ways at various times . I don't worry if either of the 2 priests at our Church are gay or not. All I know is that they are awesome priests . Best I have ever been associated with.

So invent your own theology, ignoring whatever you want and call yourself a Christian. It's a false position because one is ignoring the very teachings of the Faith .

Was John's case handled in much the same way straight clergy are disciplined when they experience human/moral failure? My church went through a very painful experience with a very popular married with children and closeted ordained elder. As I look back on it, the real tragedy to me was this pastor's belief that in order from him to serve Christ faithfully through the church, he would need to be married and hide his sexuality from himself in a way and from the church. In a sense, his entire ministry (as gifted as some thought him to be) was fraudulent, because he felt he could not operate in integrity. The church is to blame for that, IMO.

That is ridiculous....the Church is not at fault. The individual lived a lie. Unfortunate for him, his family and your congregation.

John has been a good friend of mine for over 30 years. But as a Catholic priest....in a position of trust .....he had no business hitting on that parishioner.

There is nothing 'wrong' ( in my opinion ) with homosexuality. But a practicing homosexual should not be in a position of trust within the Catholic Church .

If 'new' churches want to play their little 'feel good ' games....that's totally up to them ( and you ).

I agree with you about your friend. I share a similar position about the guy at my church. The church's hypocrisy should be called into account because while it acknowledges (and in some cases) celebrates the gifts and graces of the of the individual to obligates them to be out of integrity as a condition of being in good standing within the church. If the church accepts that these people are called by God into the ministry, then it shouldn't knoeingly require them to be dishonest.

Wrong

Practicing homosexuals are not allowed into positions of trust in Christian Churches ....period .

Period
This is a long shot, but can you cite the relevant Scripture passages? I really would like to see them as I am unaware of their existence?

Here you go the God-breathed scripture from the Apostle Paul who laid out the criteria for church leadership: 1 Timothy 3:1-13

1 Timothy 3 King James Version (KJV)

3 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.

11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

You're welcome.

For what? A bunch of pericopae without any context?
A $25 word isn't worth a plug nickel when improperly used. Pericopae, by definition, can stand on its own. Someone is due a refund.
Chuckle. What?
Make Racism Wrong Again
cinque
GrowlTowel said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

chuckle

It just doesn't.

Sure

No. You are evil. You purposely lead people off the path. You do it everyday and you have damned hundreds if not thousands.
Waco can fish for people. He can't damn anybody. Not in his wheelhouse
Make Racism Wrong Again
LIB,MR BEARS
cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
pick the sin. Would any church want a practicing liar leading them. A practicing swindler perhaps. If a person doesn't repent of their sins but rather choosss to embrace their sin, no matter what that sin is, I hardly think they are called to lead a church. They may tell others they are called but, I highly doubt that is the case.
I'm curious. Why do you think serious Christians find themselves repeatedly having to go to the altar?
in what since?
In the sense that Christians are called to confess their sins. Sounds like you think it's a one and done deal.
we constantly stumble. There is a major difference between stumbling and embracing. You know this. Don't play dumb.
cinque
LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?
we constantly stumble. There is a major difference between stumbling and embracing. You know this. Don't play dumb.
Who's the umpire? Who gets to call a stumble or an embrace? You?
Make Racism Wrong Again
LIB,MR BEARS
cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?
that would depend on the denomination. The diocese, the board, church elders.

It should be done in prayer and held to the written standards of the church's bylaws. It should also be done promptly.
YoakDaddy
cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?

God does through studying his word. It's all laid out. Whether or not a person or church chooses to embrace it, is up to them.
Waco1947
GrowlTowel said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

chuckle

It just doesn't.

Sure

Bless your heart. I have trouble living you. I am not evil. One who defends women is not evil. Is it evil to defend your wife?
Waco1947
YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?

God does through studying his word. It's all laid out. Whether or not a person or church chooses to embrace it, is up to them.
Of course God is the umpire and we study his word but you ain't God. Scripture is open to interpretation. See the four gospels on the good news of Jesus Christ.
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?

Of course God is the umpire and we study his word but you ain't God. Scripture is open to interpretation. See the four gospels on the good news of Jesus Christ.

Never said I was God (If I were, there's be great wrath and furious anger). The God-breathed scriptures are laid out. Paul clearly notes the criteria.
fadskier
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

chuckle

It just doesn't.

Sure

Curious. How do you interpret Romans 1:26-28 and I Timothy 1:10 and 1 Corinthians 7:2?

Do I think homosexuality is a sin? Yes. Does my opinion matter? No. God is the judge. God will judge me on how I treat homosexuals and I treat them like I think Jesus would. I try very hard to not do God's job because, IMO, that is a sin as well.

If I get to Heaven and learn that homosexuality was not a sin, then I will have treated them like all others. That cannot be a bad thing. My sins are no greater or less that theirs or yours. We are all in this together.
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?

Scripture is not open to interpretation.

You either interpret it correctly or you get it wrong. If you get it wrong, you will be judged for it.
Waco1947
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?

You either interpret it correctly or you get it wrong. If you get it wrong, you will be judged for it.
You just condemned your pastor and every pastor who takes to the pulpit. All of them interpret.
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?

You just condemned your pastor and every pastor who takes to the pulpit. All of them interpret.
If god says don't lay with another man if you're a man...how can you possibly interpret that differently?
fadskier
Jinx 2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I have a solution.

The church shouldn't know about your orientation or sex life and people shouldn't broadcast it either, assume or care.

If there's a church that doesn't like it...go to a different church.

Everyone's trying to compel behavior.
Don't ask, don't tell means "stay in the closet."

As a Methodist, I'm hoping my church will invite gay people to be open about their orientation and even perform gay marriages.
No, it means it's none of my business.
Doc Holliday
fadskier said:

Jinx 2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I have a solution.

The church shouldn't know about your orientation or sex life and people shouldn't broadcast it either, assume or care.

If there's a church that doesn't like it...go to a different church.

Everyone's trying to compel behavior.
Don't ask, don't tell means "stay in the closet."

As a Methodist, I'm hoping my church will invite gay people to be open about their orientation and even perform gay marriages.
No, it means it's none of my business.

Quote:

"This is the victim, this is the oppressor".

-Jinx

There is never any grey area.

Rinse and repeat.
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Wrong

Period
in what since?

If god says don't lay with another man if you're a man...how can you possibly interpret that differently?

The same way in which one claims to follow Jesus yet supports the murder of babies.....

Prideful arrogance.
cinque
Doc, did you share some time ago that you are not Christian?
Make Racism Wrong Again
Doc Holliday
cinque said:

Nope. I shared that I'm non denominational with a pirate mouth.
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

You called yourself not very religious. Right?
Make Racism Wrong Again
Doc Holliday
cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Religious is subjective so not sure what your opinion is on religious?

I subscribe to faith, I've read and continue to read the bible. I believe in Jesus. Sometimes I go to church. Not a fan of church.
Waco1947
Canada "prideful arrogance". What do you call men who force women to carry to term? I call it arrogance and barbaric.
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

Canada "prideful arrogance". What do you call men who force women to carry to term? I call it arrogance and barbaric.

Normal?
Waco1947
YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Normal?
No it's misogynistic
/msjnistik/Submit
adjective
strongly prejudiced against women.
"deeply ingrained misogynistic attitudes"
Or barbaric to think you control woman's body.
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Religious is subjective so not sure what your opinion is on religious?

I subscribe to faith, I've read and continue to read the bible. I believe in Jesus. Sometimes I go to church. Not a fan of church.
So, what sets you apart from gay Christians who seek to make disciples for the transformation of the world?
Make Racism Wrong Again
GoneGirl
LIB,MR BEARS
Jinx 2 said:

your dating yourself now jinx. I always wanted those and never got them
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Normal?
No it's misogynistic
/msjnistik/Submit
adjective

I forgot that you were a baby killer.
Canada2017
YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

Normal?
No it's misogynistic
/msjnistik/Submit
adjective

I forgot that you were a baby killer.

Yeah the illiterate internet 'minister ' granted himself special privileges .
cinque
Why do you cons almost without fail, try to change the conversation to something that allows you to demonize somebody? Damn.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Johnny Bear
cinque said:

Why do you libs almost without fail, try to change the conversation to something that allows you to demonize somebody? Damn.
FIFY.
Waco1947
cinque said:

Why do you cons almost without fail, try to change the conversation to something that allows you to demonize somebody? Damn.

Being on the receiving of that demonization I concur.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.