I don't understand the outrage

756 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by midgett
El Oso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I get that holding a place in line for somebody is definitely a way to "cheat" the system and it isn't necessarily "fair."

That said, these people are being paid for standing in line and at a pay rate much higher than minimum wage.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-says-apos-091018328.html

On Wednesday, the freshman lawmaker highlighted the way in which lobbyists and others who can afford it pay people including some who are homeless to wait in line for them outside committee hearings.
"Shock doesn't begin to cover it," tweeted Ocasio-Cortez.
Initially, she wrote, she believed the "tons of people" she saw outside the committee room were part of a demonstration.
But an aide set her straight, explaining how "lobbyists pay the homeless + others to hold their place so they can get in 1st."

"Apparently this is a normal practice, and people don't bat an eye," the congresswoman wrote in a second post.

"The first few people in line are guaranteed a seat in a given hearing," she added. "This was the hearing for marijuana banking laws. Lobbyists and those who can afford it pay people to hold their spot so they get in 1st."

CNN reported on the paid place-holding phenomenon back in 2009, noting that line-standers could earn $11 to $35 per hour.
Malbec
Let's see. A lobbyist (with a job) standing in line for hours being unproductive, or paying a homeless person (without a job) up to $35 an hour to hold the spot? Hmmmmmmm. Pick one Lexie.
Forest Bueller
Shoot I would be the #1 volunteer if I didn't have a job and could pull $20 an hour to wait in the line for someone else.

contrario
Out of all of the bad things lobbyists do, this is the last thing to spend any time talking about.
DioNoZeus
Isn't she the one who proposed that the government pay people to do nothing?
Osodecentx
contrario said:

Out of all of the bad things lobbyists do, this is the last thing to spend any time talking about.
You are represented by a lobbyist, maybe more than one
contrario
Osodecentx said:

contrario said:

Agreed. Some lobbyists do good things. A lot don't. I never use any absolute statements.
midgett
contrario said:

Osodecentx said:

contrario said:

Agreed. Some lobbyists do good things. A lot don't. I never use any absolute statements.
You "never" use "absolute statements"?

Um, you just did. :-)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.