A Democratic President will now be able to declare a national emergency on . . .

1,858 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GrowlTowel
Midnight Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/02/14/pelosi_democratic_president_will_now_be_able_to_declare_national_emergency_on_guns.html
Malbec
To do what? Suspend the Constitution?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Midnight Rider said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/02/14/pelosi_democratic_president_will_now_be_able_to_declare_national_emergency_on_guns.html
I am not convinced that the new Democratic Party would not have done it anyway. I think Trump's declaration will get shot down in the courts so for now will be a moot point. I support Trump, but personally believe he overstepped his power here. The checks and balances are there for a reason.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
Come and take it.
Waco1947
Oh the irony
"Now he (Obama)has to use executive action and this is a very, very dangerous thing that should be overwritten easily by the Supreme Court," Trump said in 2014. The following year, Trump said, "The whole concept of executive orderit's not the way the country is supposed to be run. He's supposed to go through Congress and make a deal and go and talk to people and get the guys in there and, you know, whether you're Republican or Democrat, is supposed to all get together. He's supposed to make a deal, but he couldn't make a deal, because it's not his thing." During the presidential campaign, Trump promised to withdraw Obama's executive orders and accused him of abuses. Since becoming president, however, Trump has become a prolific user of executive orders."
HP
JXL
Waco1947 said:

Oh the irony
"Now he (Obama)has to use executive action and this is a very, very dangerous thing that should be overwritten easily by the Supreme Court," Trump said in 2014. The following year, Trump said, "The whole concept of executive orderit's not the way the country is supposed to be run. He's supposed to go through Congress and make a deal and go and talk to people and get the guys in there and, you know, whether you're Republican or Democrat, is supposed to all get together. He's supposed to make a deal, but he couldn't make a deal, because it's not his thing." During the presidential campaign, Trump promised to withdraw Obama's executive orders and accused him of abuses. Since becoming president, however, Trump has become a prolific user of executive orders."
HP

So was Trump right or wrong when he said that in 2014?
Doc Holliday
blackie
No....the Dems would never do something they have criticized the Reps for doing. They would never do that .........again.
PartyBear
Explain when this bull shxt has happened before and based on a blatant lie? Hell Trump today in his declaration said he didn't really have to do this he just wanted to build it faster.

What Trump is doing is setting it up so a Democrat doesn't have to declare an emergency. Trump will deliver a Senate and House that will give the Democratic President whatever bills he or she wants.
settegast
The #1 thing I will give the founders credit for is this, they set the government up so 1 person couldn't screw the entire thing up.
syme
YoakDaddy
PartyBear said:

Explain when this bull shxt has happened before and based on a blatant lie? Hell Trump today in his declaration said he didn't really have to do this he just wanted to build it faster.

What Trump is doing is setting it up so a Democrat doesn't have to declare an emergency. Trump will deliver a Senate and House that will give the Democratic President whatever bills he or she wants.

Evidently it's happened 58 times with 31 still in effect.
https://psmag.com/news/the-united-states-states-of-emergencies
syme
Unrest in Somalia was a state of emergency in 2010. This "precedent" argument is dumb.
PartyBear
The statute defines national emergency. The POTUS doesn't define national emergency. When was the last time a president just lied and made one up or attempted to decree an emergency not as defined in the statute because he couldn't get money for a budget item? This bull Shxt hasn't happened before and even Ann Coulter and ilk are calling bs and saying Trump is just doing this attempting hide his being extremely weak and ineffectual.
Florda_mike
Democrat president of today wouldn't even obey law and would declare national emergency no matter what Trump does

Obama said, "I've got a phone" in order to go around Congress and he did

So what on Trump declaring National Emergency for our security. Same thing any democrat president would do to get what he wanted. Screw the democrats everywhere that just want those illiterate democrat voters that refuse to assimilate at the expense of our country.
ATL Bear
settegast said:

The #1 thing I will give the founders credit for is this, they set the government up so 1 person couldn't screw the entire thing up.
Unfortunately, Congress and the people have continued to transfer power to the executive branch ever since, and we're much closer to that point than we should be.
YoakDaddy
PartyBear said:

The statute defines national emergency. The POTUS doesn't define national emergency. When was the last time a president just lied and made one up or attempted to decree an emergency not as defined in the statute because he couldn't get money for a budget item? This bull Shxt hasn't happened before and even Ann Coulter and ilk are calling bs and saying Trump is just doing this attempting hide his being extremely weak and ineffectual.

It's my understanding that "national emergency" is not defined and that's why dozens have been called since the 1970s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that understanding.....
ValhallaBear
ATL Bear said:

settegast said:

Unfortunately, Congress and the people have continued to transfer power to the executive branch ever since, and we're much closer to that point than we should be.
Congress doesn't want to legislate...that would mean having to take a stance on something and piss off potential re-electing voters

If they don't take a stance on anything then they can spend the majority of their time fundraising and campaigning for re-election

Our entire electoral process now revolves around which cult of personality will be elected President every 4 years
ValhallaBear
syme said:

All I see in this picture are the future STEM scientists that will have us colonizing Mars
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
settegast said:

Up until now.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Waco1947
Doc Holliday said:

The NE was political theater for you, Doc. T knew the courts would stop him. He risked nothing. You bought into it hook, line and sinker. Guess who got suckered into thinking T's some kind "strong guy showing the Dems who's boss?"
T's a coward.
YoakDaddy
settegast said:

FDR says hello.
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

The NE was political theater for you, Doc. T knew the courts would stop him. He risked nothing. You bought into it hook, line and sinker. Guess who got suckered into thinking T's some kind "strong guy showing the Dems who's boss?"
T's a coward.
Its 3D chess. You Democrats are just not smart enough to realize what's actually going on.

The wall is already being built. There's nothing to prevent the wall from being built prior to the National emergency.

This is bait to get Democrats to legislate against POTUS from being able to declare national emergencies. Only it will apply to Democrat Presidents in the future and they will not be allowed to have national emergencies like Obama did.

Checkmate.
Jack and DP
https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/430335-why-trump-will-win-the-wall-fight?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true
Waco1947
YoakDaddy said:

settegast said:

FDR says hello.
Are you on Social Security? I am. I thank FDR for that screw up. So do did my parents and my grandparents, especially my grandmother when my grandfather died in 1938.
GrowlTowel
Old news. Dreamers were a made up emergency. Congress can repeal but it won't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.