Constitutional Carry

1,176 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BaylorOkie
BaylorOkie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It looks like my new governor could soon sign it into law.

What are your thoughts on this?
El Oso
Im for it but im a strict constitutionalist.

Youll still need a license to carry outside of your state so Im not real sure what problem it solves.
xiledinok
BaylorOkie said:

It looks like my new governor could soon sign it into law.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think we will never solve the gun divide at the national level. Different strokes for different folks.

I think the governor is keeping his promise. The last one lied about everything including her willingness to sign constitutional carry. The new governor, like the last one, would have not been elected had he not supported it.

Okie, the gun shows are struggling. This will not save the gun dealers. I would suggest going to the shows to look around and keep the shows open to allow the rural folks to come and spend money.
In my opinion, $14 is a cheap entrance price to protect the 2nd Amendment and see the gun dealers (who are generally good men and women) have an opportunity to do business.

I think carrying concealed is the right way to carry. Screw permits and licenses (adds liability).
BaylorOkie
I don't think that various reasonable restrictions on gun ownership will solve our problems, but I still think it is prudent to have them. My CC permit costs me $100 for 5 years. I had to take a class and go through a background check to get the permit. These requirements are all ok with me and not the least bit unreasonable, in my opinion.

I understand the cost factor being a hurdle for low income folks, and I don't have a reasonable solution for that. Just being honest. But I heard a figure of $6m annually that will be lost if the permit fees go away.

I'm concerned that constitutional carry will result in a small but impactful amount of people that should not carry a gun but will carry anyway. Not bad folks or criminals, those people don't care about laws. But I'm talking about people who aren't trained or don't know basic gun safety. They should have to take the safety course that I took. Those instructors can be some country rednecks, but they are dead serious about teaching proper gun safety. It's important.
Edmond Bear

What are the pros/cons of this?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
The criminals that inhabit the U.S. already have it. No reason it shouldn't apply to everyday law-abiding citizens.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
blackie
I'm not sure any laws are going to solve the problems we see. IMO it is all about culture. Look at our movies, television shows and video games. Violence rules and is often times celebrated. And this coming from a segment of society (Hollywood types) that supposedly is liberal. And then those "celebrity" actors and actresses are the ones the morning TV talk shows of the major networks ogle over at and after the awards shows. In other words, they don't walk their talk concerning gun violence.

Kids growing up see this stuff over and over again. For most they realize it is fiction (at least the stories) and have a sound intelligence that sees what can go wrong. But there are too many who don't have that solid footing mentally that can easily believe what they see is acceptable and justified for whatever problems they may think they need to resolve.

Many of us old guys grew up with six shooters and holsters tying to mimic Roy Rodgers, Hoppalong Cassidy, the Lone Ranger, and others we saw battling the bad guys. But there the motive was not hatred or revenge, but justice. What Hollywood spews out today is mostly hatred and revenge, What do they expect to come of it? Some might argue those videos are just reflecting reality, but if you want the violence to go away it would help if you didn't see it as just an avenue to millions of dollars in ticket and product sales, and actually made cases for changing the culture. Anyone can literally see hundreds of murders a day just looking at TV programs that are considered acceptable in our culture.
xiledinok
I don't think Hollywood is causing all these guys to shoot each other in the neighborhoods in my community.
There's a bunch of poor, broke depressed, uneducated and poorly raised young men and women that can make more money hustling drugs and behaving lawlessly than living as morally straight Boy Scouts. Gun violence is a consequence.

This will be good to see how it works among the poor rural red states in urban areas. It is a test drive.

Pros- those who need a firearm can get it

Cons- more murders and more shot up cops.
Jack and DP
Gun crimes are a result of boys not having a Father in the house.
xiledinok
Jack and DP said:

Gun crimes are a result of boys not having a Father in the house.

Not having good parents and solid economic foundation are destroying society.

Looking forward to how it works in urban areas.
BaylorOkie
Good post blackie, thanks.

blackie said:

Kids growing up see this stuff over and over again. For most they realize it is fiction (at least the stories) and have a sound intelligence that sees what can go wrong. But there are too many who don't have that solid footing mentally that can easily believe what they see is acceptable and justified for whatever problems they may think they need to resolve.

These types of people fall into the group that concerns me. They need to receive good training and instruction.

The instructor of my CC class was a 20 year veteran and could spot the risky guys a mile away. He zeroed in on a young dumb kid in the class and beat him over the head with everything. And it's a good thing, this kid needed it.

You're not a tough guy.
Never pull your gun out unless you're ready to use it.
It's not there to intimidate.
Your first response is still always to avoid or diffuse the situation.

These things, as well as basic gun safety, need to be taught to everyone. And some more than others. That knucklehead would never take the class if it wasn't required by law.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.