Is Jesus a Jew or a Christian?

7,190 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Krieg
GoneGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Sunday NYTimes has a full-page ad promoting this website: TheJewishJesus.com .

(A .com? That raises questions in and of itself.)

Here's the question the ad poses: Did Jesus come to start a new religion?
Midnight Rider
Jinx 2 said:

Did Jesus come to start a new religion?
No.
Canada2017
chuckle

Read the New Testament

It's all there .
Jack and DP
Is the OP Jinx, Jinx2, or a middle aged man? Hard to keep up with the alts.
LIB,MR BEARS
OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

We have TexasScientist. They have NewYork Socialogist.

Always trying to sow seeds of doubt. Who do you suppose those sowing the seeds work for?
Florda_mike
Jinx 2 said:

The Sunday NYTimes has a full-page ad promoting this website: TheJewishJesus.com .

Are you an atheist?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

Jesus came so he could die for us, absolve our sins, and give us everlasting life. Yes, Christianity began with his resurrection.

No, He did not come to fill the collection plate so he could live in an exclusive gated neighborhood and buy a fancy new jet.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
OldBurlyBear86
Florda_mike said:

Jinx 2 said:

Are you an atheist?
Just a non believer!
Midnight Rider
Huh? How does an acknowledgement that Jesus was Jewish and never disavowed his Jewishness make one an atheist or non-believer?
Midnight Rider
And, by the way, Christianity as a religion separate and apart from Judaism didn't get started until years after the death of Jesus.
Redbrickbear
Temple Judaism/Israelite traditional religion died when the Temple was burned to the ground and Jerusalem destroyed. No more priests, no more animal offerings, no more high priest position, etc

From that came two new religions Christianity and Rabbicial Judaism (modern Jews).

Which has the better case for being the true successor faith is of course open to interpretation.
Redbrickbear
Midnight Rider said:

Huh? How does an acknowledgement that Jesus was Jewish and never disavowed his Jewishness make one an atheist or non-believer?

Huge difference from being an Israelite/Jew of the first century.....than being a modern Jew today.

Same way their is a huge difference between being a Celt in 1st century England and being British today.

My personal feeling is that Jesus saw being Jewish as his national/cultural/religious identity. He was born in that land after all.

Modern Jews see their identity has being primarily racial in nature. Example: 50% of modern Jews don't even believe in God....more than half have never set foot in Israel...yet they still claim to be Jewish.
Osodecentx
Jinx 2 said:

Great question. I say 'no', but will require red wine and a few hours to discuss
Canada2017
LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

Always trying to sow seeds of doubt. Who do you suppose those sowing the seeds work for?

Michael Avenatti ?
Sam Lowry
Jesus was a Jew and the founder of Christianity.
ValhallaBear
Midnight Rider said:

Go get 'em bubba!

defend the honor of your shield maiden
TexasScientist
No.
TexasScientist
Redbrickbear said:

Midnight Rider said:

Huge difference from being an Israelite/Jew of the first century.....than being a modern Jew today.

Same way their is a huge difference between being a Celt in 1st century England and being British today.

My personal feeling is that Jesus saw being Jewish as his national/cultural/religious identity. He was born in that land after all.

Modern Jews see their identity has being primarily racial in nature. Example: 50% of modern Jews don't even believe in God....more than half have never set foot in Israel...yet they still claim to be Jewish.

There is a huge difference between first century Christianity and being a modern Christian today.
Coke Bear
Jinx 2 said:

Did Jesus come to start a new religion?
He was a Jew that came to start a church.

Matthew 16:18
Oldbear83
Matthew 16:13-20

" When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter,[a] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[b] will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[c] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[d] loosed in heaven." Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

Reality and rational thought.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

you put in a great deal of effort fighting the imagined. Tell me about rational thought again.
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

you put in a great deal of effort fighting the imagined. Tell me about rational thought again.
Conforming thoughts and beliefs to the evidence of reality.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

Whose reality shall we use?
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

What is real as revealed by empirical evidence.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

TS, everyday people are found guilty based on the preponderance of the evidence. Not every case has video evidence of the event. Do you question each guilty verdict where there is a preponderance of evidence but not empirical evidence?

Science constantly changes its theories as more is learned. Darwin's theory is not plausible and science now accepts that as fact. The thing that has not changed (except for getting stronger as archeologist fund more supporting evidence is God and Christianity ).

IF I could prove to you, this very instant, that Christianity is true, would you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

TS, everyday people are found guilty based on the preponderance of the evidence. Not every case has video evidence of the event. Do you question each guilty verdict where there is a preponderance of evidence but not empirical evidence?

Science constantly changes its theories as more is learned. Darwin's theory is not plausible and science now accepts that as fact. The thing that has not changed (except for getting stronger as archeologist fund more supporting evidence is God and Christianity ).

IF I could prove to you, this very instant, that Christianity is true, would you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
Criminal cases are resolved upon evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, not preponderance of the evidence.

Darwin's theory is the foundation of evolution and biology, borne out by the scientific method. Even Baylor teaches evolution.

I would love to believe in a hereafter in paradise. Unfortunately, the evidence of reality doesn't support that belief.

Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

So, your subjective reality, then.

How convenient for you.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

How convenient for you.
We know airplanes fly based upon the evidence of the physics of aerodynamics, as opposed to evidence that airplanes fly on the backs of angels.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

How convenient for you.
We know airplanes fly based upon the evidence of the physics of aerodynamics, as opposed to evidence that airplanes fly on the backs of angels.
We perceive that airplanes fly.

We use those perceptions, sometimes imperfectly, to design and build airplanes.

The 737 Max is irrefutable proof that our perceptions and minds sometimes lead us into grave error.

As for angels, nowhere in Scripture are angels listed as a transportation service. You seem to be confusing holy writ with the plot from the Disney movie Aladdin.

SSadler
I would join in the banter but I REALLY don't know much about this Bible stuff.

Even though I teach it . . . AT BAYLOR!
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

How convenient for you.

The 737 Max is irrefutable proof that our perceptions and minds sometimes lead us into grave error.

As for angels, nowhere in Scripture are angels listed as a transportation service. You seem to be confusing holy writ with the plot from the Disney movie Aladdin.

We perceive airplanes fly and we also know airplanes fly. We perceive and know airplanes in all probablility don't fly on the backs of angels from the lack of evidence and from evidence to the contrary. The 737 Max flys. The crashes are due to training failure in the auto pilot system, and a stall warning and control system design shortcut. We know this from empirical evidence.
LIB,MR BEARS
SSadler said:

I would join in the banter but I REALLY don't know much about this Bible stuff.

Even though I teach it . . . AT BAYLOR!
c'mon in. The water is fine.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

OT
NT
and chapel

Where were you?

How convenient for you.

We perceive airplanes fly and we also know airplanes fly. We perceive and know airplanes in all probablility don't fly on the backs of angels from the lack of evidence and from evidence to the contrary. The 737 Max flys. The crashes are due to training failure in the auto pilot system, and a stall warning and control system design shortcut. We know this from empirical evidence.
Hubris is common among humans, especially lab-coat cultists.

Redbrickbear
Was Jesus a resident of Judea and a member of the line of David? yes

Was he Hebrew? Yes, Leviticus 24:10 says that the son in a marriage between a Hebrew woman and an Egyptian man is "of the community of Israel." So all sons born to a Hebrew mother are of the community of Israel.

Was he what we would call a modern jew? No.....not at all

Modern Jews are mostly Ashkenazi Jews.......and the Ashkenzai Jews are not direct descendants of the ancient Hebrew people.

"Ernest Renan and other scholars speculated that the Ashkenazi Jews of Europe originated among Turkic refugees who had migrated from the collapsed Khazarian Khanate westward into Europe, and exchanged their native Khazar language for Yiddish while continuing to practice Judaism the religion they converted to. Ancient Scythian population groups may also constitute a good portion of modern Ashkenazi Jewish lineage."

But honestly it does not matter..........after 2,000 of wondering around from country to country modern jews are so ethnically and racially mixed up that the only thing that unites them is Jewish custom and practice......and increasingly "practice' is subject to change since atheism is extremely high among jews.....plus the whole attempt to revive Hebrew by the modern state of Israel was an attempt to give modern jews a language they could all speak. So what is a jew? Its someone who calls themselves a jew and is certain they are not Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.