The Slave Bible was a real thing

4,958 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cinque
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

Me: "Six adult men in my family enlisted specifically to fight and end Slavery."

Redbrickbear: "No they didn't"

Me: They absolutely did. They enlisted and fought within 100 miles of their homes. Most of them died within sight of places they had gone to school and worked. So claiming my family "invaded another country" is a lie, and a stupid one at that.

I respect the Confederate soldier and even some of the reasons for their secession, but I know my family history and heritage, and my answer was completely honest and true.

Too bad if you don't like it, but you are lying to say my family fought for anything but to end Slavery. Call them naive if you want to, say what you want about Sherman and his raiders, and yes, war is brutal and a civil war is a horrific series of terrible events. Some of the Union Army did terrible things, but many - like my family - joined up to protect their towns and communities from a rebel army that invaded the North.

So in sum, I cited the facts from my family, and too f ing bad if that hurts your feelings.
My feelings are not hurt.....I'm just calling it as I see it.

Also, where was your family from? If from central PA....then they were over 250 miles and many days travel from the nearest slave state.........and that state? It was Maryland, who kept their slaves and had legal slavery until AFTER the civil war.

In fact many a unionists in Missouri, Kentucky, Delaware, and Maryland kept their slaves totally LEGALLY while fighting for Lincoln and the federalists.

Lincolns extra judicial law on slavery only applied to states he was currently in the process of invading and conquering.

If your family died within 100 miles of say State College PA.....then they sure as heck did not die fighting slavery.....they did for a simple reason..........Lincoln and his supporters said "session is illegal and no one gets out of this artificial political union alive."

The Federalist-Unionist argument in 1860s was basically the British-Imperialist argument in the 1770s.

"Leave/declare independence and we kill you"
Redbrickbear
cinque
Do know why the Slave Bible was created?
Make Racism Wrong Again
Oldbear83
Maybe take a few minutes and read what I already posted?
Forest Bueller

Quote:

On display now at the Museum of the Bible in Washington, D.C., is a special exhibit centered on a rare Bible from the 1800s that was used by British missionaries to convert and educate slaves.

Anthony Schmidt, associate curator of Bible and Religion in America at the museum, says the first instance of this abridged version titled, Parts of the Holy Bible, selected for the use of the Negro Slaves, in the British West-India Islands, was published in 1807.

"It was intended for use among enslaved Africans in the British West Indies, which is modern day Caribbeans, so Jamaica, Barbados, Antigua," he says.

Schmidt says there are several theories behind the editing and omitting of so much of the standard Bible, but the main thought stems from the fact that farmers in the West Indies were opposed to missionaries who worked with the enslaved Africans on their land.

It almost certainly was edited to quell any uprising among the slaves. Especially the Old Testament would have many passages that could have given them inspiration to try and break free.
robby44
Keyser Soze said:

News flash: evil **** happened years ago

Yea but let's build monuments and statues to celebrate it

Keyser Soze
robby44 said:

Keyser Soze said:

Jim Crow & that group were evil too.

JXL
tommie said:

JXL said:

tommie said:

Johnny Bear said:

tommie said:

Johnny Bear said:

Newsflash: Slavery ended 154 years ago.

I'm not in any shape, form, or fashion implying "forget history". On the contrary, I think one of the huge ongoing problems in our country is widespread ignorance of our nation's history (and I'm talking about ALL of our history - much of which is pretty doggone glorious). Obviously an ugly part of it is the fact that slavery existed, but the good news is in was vanquished and it ended - again 154 years ago. Nobody alive today has ever been a legal slave in the USA. Nobody alive today has parents who were ever legal slaves in the USA. Almost nobody alive today has grandparents who were slaves (especially if you're under 100 years old). Other than to deliberately keep as many people in the black community bitter and angry (a habitual leftist tactic to keep as many black voters as possible on the democrat plantation), why is it that this topic keeps coming up as if slavery went away a couple of years ago?

****ing my ex ended on my wedding night. Should I stop paying alimony and child support?
Huh?????

If that is supposed to be some sort of reference to the "reparations issue", forget it. Over 360,000 Union troops (the vast majority were white) died during the War Between the States. Any "reparations" got paid in blood, with interest, a long, long time ago as well. It's history. Yes, let's learn from it, but let's also celebrate the fact that it ended a long time ago and it is only an "issue" today to the extent that the left uses it as a tactic to deliberately deceive as many black voters as possible into believing that it somehow still negatively impacts their lives in the 21st Century.

Willis, I don't know what you're talking about.

As for the amazing sacrifice my yanks paid in the civil war. They didn't die to end slavery. They died because southerners were willing to fight to keep slaves.

Ending slavery could have been done without any blood shed. Zero Brits or Canadians does to end slavery in their countries.

I'm pretty sure my great-grandfather didn't leave his home and family and lie about his age to enlist in the Union Army at 17 for any reason other than to see an end to slavery.

He did. Or he fought to save the union. Regardless, he fought for noble reasons.

However, the beginning at Ft Sumpter was because the south wanted to keep slaves. They were willing to fight and die for "states right (to keep slaves) and their way of life.

I'm not diminishing what your grandfather did. I'm saying the north didn't say "end slavery by June 1st were coming to end it".

Slavery could have ended without a fight but there were many willing to fight to keep it.

I don't know for a fact why my great grandfather enlisted in the Union Army at 17. I do know he was from upstate New York, a part of the country known as the "burned over district" because it had been swept over so many times by the fires of religious revivals such as the Second Great Awakening.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burned-over_district

https://scholarship.richmond.edu/honors-theses/1039/

As a result, the abolitionist movement was very strong there. I know that he was involved enough in his local church to have built the steeple so I would guess that a 17 year old would be more likely to be swept up in religious anti-slavery fervor than an abstract concept such as saving the Union.

Not that anyone cares about my family history, but it's a part of American history that I'd guess is not widely known.
Mitch Blood Green
JXL said:

tommie said:

JXL said:

tommie said:

Johnny Bear said:

tommie said:

Johnny Bear said:

I'm not in any shape, form, or fashion implying "forget history". On the contrary, I think one of the huge ongoing problems in our country is widespread ignorance of our nation's history (and I'm talking about ALL of our history - much of which is pretty doggone glorious). Obviously an ugly part of it is the fact that slavery existed, but the good news is in was vanquished and it ended - again 154 years ago. Nobody alive today has ever been a legal slave in the USA. Nobody alive today has parents who were ever legal slaves in the USA. Almost nobody alive today has grandparents who were slaves (especially if you're under 100 years old). Other than to deliberately keep as many people in the black community bitter and angry (a habitual leftist tactic to keep as many black voters as possible on the democrat plantation), why is it that this topic keeps coming up as if slavery went away a couple of years ago?

****ing my ex ended on my wedding night. Should I stop paying alimony and child support?
Huh?????

If that is supposed to be some sort of reference to the "reparations issue", forget it. Over 360,000 Union troops (the vast majority were white) died during the War Between the States. Any "reparations" got paid in blood, with interest, a long, long time ago as well. It's history. Yes, let's learn from it, but let's also celebrate the fact that it ended a long time ago and it is only an "issue" today to the extent that the left uses it as a tactic to deliberately deceive as many black voters as possible into believing that it somehow still negatively impacts their lives in the 21st Century.

As for the amazing sacrifice my yanks paid in the civil war. They didn't die to end slavery. They died because southerners were willing to fight to keep slaves.

Ending slavery could have been done without any blood shed. Zero Brits or Canadians does to end slavery in their countries.

I'm pretty sure my great-grandfather didn't leave his home and family and lie about his age to enlist in the Union Army at 17 for any reason other than to see an end to slavery.

He did. Or he fought to save the union. Regardless, he fought for noble reasons.

However, the beginning at Ft Sumpter was because the south wanted to keep slaves. They were willing to fight and die for "states right (to keep slaves) and their way of life.

I'm not diminishing what your grandfather did. I'm saying the north didn't say "end slavery by June 1st were coming to end it".

Slavery could have ended without a fight but there were many willing to fight to keep it.

I don't know for a fact why my great grandfather enlisted in the Union Army at 17. I do know he was from upstate New York, a part of the country known as the "burned over district" because it had been swept over so many times by the fires of religious revivals such as the Second Great Awakening.

As a result, the abolitionist movement was very strong there. I know that he was involved enough in his local church to have built the steeple so I would guess that a 17 year old would be more likely to be swept up in religious anti-slavery fervor than an abstract concept such as saving the Union.

Not that anyone cares about my family history, but it's a part of American history that I'd guess is not widely known.

You're a descendent of good seed.
JXL
tommie said:

JXL said:

tommie said:

JXL said:

tommie said:

Johnny Bear said:

tommie said:

Johnny Bear said:

Huh?????

You're a dependent of good seed.

I'd like to think I'd have done the same thing, but being a chicken is a powerful force.
Mitch Blood Green
JXL said:

tommie said:

JXL said:

tommie said:

JXL said:

tommie said:

Johnny Bear said:

tommie said:

Johnny Bear said:

Huh?????

You're a descendent of good seed.

I'd like to think I'd have done the same thing, but being a chicken is a powerful force.

You bring up an interesting point. I don't know what I'd have done. I'm toughest posting on the internet.
Redbrickbear
robby44 said:

Keyser Soze said:

Plenty of monuments to Sherman around.

Sherman who said "the only good Indian is a dead indian"

That sucker was evil.

Tear down your own evil statues before you come for our ancestors.
robby44
Redbrickbear said:

robby44 said:

Keyser Soze said:

Plenty of monuments to Sherman around.

Sherman who said "the only good Indian is a dead indian"

That sucker was evil.

Tear down your own evil statues before you come for our ancestors.

I didn't say a thing about tearing down statues I only pointed out there were a bunch erected celebrating a thing that happened long ago
ScottS
I have a question...why all the outrage over slavery from 154 years ago and zero outrage for current day slavery that still exists in the earth today?
Oldbear83
ScottS said:

I have a question...why all the outrage over slavery from 154 years ago and zero outrage for current day slavery that still exists in the earth today?
Quo bono?
robby44
ScottS said:

Go ahead and get outraged for current day slavery. Get the ball rolling
BaylorFTW
ScottS said:

Blacks believe they can ultimately get money for pushing the former and not the latter. And left wing politicians find it useful to raise the reparations argument as a way to further their identity politics aim of keeping blacks voting lefty and framing the narrative of whites racist and lefty poc are good guys. Few in either of those groups has thought what will be the negative consequences if these policies were eventually realized though. Also, people's opinions on these issues really haven't changed as whites largely think it is a bad idea and blacks love it. The only difference is hispanics have become an influence on the results due to increased immigration. Hispanics are split on the issue but due to their increased size, it does end up giving a little more support to granting reparations. http://maristpoll.marist.edu/510-reparations-for-slavery-in-the-united-states/#sthash.HjMyECbM.dpbs
cinque
BaylorFTW said:

ScottS said:

Blacks believe they can ultimately get money for pushing the former and not the latter. And left wing politicians find it useful to raise the reparations argument as a way to further their identity politics aim of keeping blacks voting lefty and framing the narrative of whites racist and lefty poc are good guys. Few in either of those groups has thought what will be the negative consequences if these policies were eventually realized though. Also, people's opinions on these issues really haven't changed as whites largely think it is a bad idea and blacks love it. The only difference is hispanics have become an influence on the results due to increased immigration. Hispanics are split on the issue but due to their increased size, it does end up giving a little more support to granting reparations. http://maristpoll.marist.edu/510-reparations-for-slavery-in-the-united-states/#sthash.HjMyECbM.dpbs

You have no idea what blacks believe,
Make Racism Wrong Again
Oldbear83
cinque said:

BaylorFTW said:

ScottS said:

You have no idea what blacks believe,
Judging from your posts, cinque, you have a poor notion there yourself.
ScottS
Cinque is black?
ScottS
BaylorFTW said:

ScottS said:

bingo
Mitch Blood Green
ScottS said:

BaylorFTW said:

ScottS said:

bingo

I'm glad to know what you think of me.
cinque
ScottS said:

Cinque is black?
Yep.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.