Hearing our Story in the Bible's Stories

744 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waco1947
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have always remembered is that we really can't hear what the stories of the Bible are saying until we hear them as stories about ourselves. We have to imagine our way into them, he said. We have to imagine ourselves the prodigal son coming home terrified that the door will be slammed in his face when he gets there, only to have the breath all but knocked out of him by the great bear hug his father greets him with before he can choke out so much as the first word of the speech he has prepared about how sorry he is and how he will never do it again, not unlike the way Sunday after Sunday you and I say in our prayers how sorry we are and how we will never do it again. We have to put ourselves in the place of the good thief spread-eagled in the merciless sun saying to the one who is dying beside him, "Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingly power," the way at the heart of every prayer we have ever prayed or will ever pray, you and I are also saying it in one form or another: Remember me. Remember me. Jesus, remember.
Frederick Buechner
The Bible is a faith story a people. It is not primarily history, doctrine, rule book, or science.
It is faith book - our relationship to God
LIB,MR BEARS
Assuming your description of the Bible is correct, Is it also similar to a Chinese buffet listing where we are allowed to pick and choose what we like while discarding the stuff we don't like?

Edmond Bear
Waco1947 said:

I have always remembered is that we really can't hear what the stories of the Bible are saying until we hear them as stories about ourselves. We have to imagine our way into them, he said. We have to imagine ourselves the prodigal son coming home terrified that the door will be slammed in his face when he gets there, only to have the breath all but knocked out of him by the great bear hug his father greets him with before he can choke out so much as the first word of the speech he has prepared about how sorry he is and how he will never do it again, not unlike the way Sunday after Sunday you and I say in our prayers how sorry we are and how we will never do it again. We have to put ourselves in the place of the good thief spread-eagled in the merciless sun saying to the one who is dying beside him, "Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingly power," the way at the heart of every prayer we have ever prayed or will ever pray, you and I are also saying it in one form or another: Remember me. Remember me. Jesus, remember.
Frederick Buechner
The Bible is a faith story a people. It is not primarily history, doctrine, rule book, or science.
It is faith book - our relationship to God

Is this what you tell the babies that were killed during abortion procedures?
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Assuming your description of the Bible is correct, Is it also similar to a Chinese buffet listing where we are allowed to pick and choose what we like while discarding the stuff we don't like?

We all have a limited Bible.
You regularly disregard feeding the poor and healing people.
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

The whole Bible is faith stories. The Bible is churches book for a reason - how people try to live a life of faith and God's amazing grace
Waco1947
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.