White supremacist to be executed in Texas

2,874 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A white supremacist convicted of killing James Byrd Jr. in 1998 by dragging the 49-year-old black man behind a truck in one of the most notorious hate crimes in modern times, is scheduled to be executed in Texas today.

It's about time but would Bernie let him vote first?
riflebear
But I thought the GOP & Texans were all white supremacists?
LIB,MR BEARS
This is not an execution. It is a medical procedure with the intent of ending life. Similar to abortion except one is for the guilty and one is for the not guilty.
Jack and DP
Should've happened years ago.
corncob pipe
not to be confused with White Natty's ? asking for a friend
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Jack and DP said:

Should've happened years ago.
I agree.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
cinque
Not sure what the lesson is supposed to be here. Killing in order to demonstrate opposition to killing doesn't make sense.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Coke Bear
Sad that it took this long. Hopefully he had time for redemption and remorse.

Did anyone else remember this being more about a drug deal gone WAY wrong than it was a race crime?
jdrs
Well that is what one of the convicted guys tried to claim. But not sure how credible he (or any of them) was/were.

Horrible crime.
Mitch Blood Green
Coke Bear said:

Did anyone else remember this being more about a drug deal gone WAY wrong than it was a race crime?

It was a hate crime. Now, if you're against the death penalty for tying a guy to a truck and dragging him for miles to his death, I'm interested in your argument.
LIB,MR BEARS
tommie said:

Coke Bear said:

It was a hate crime. Now, if you're against the death penalty for tying a guy to a truck and dragging him for miles to his death, I'm interested in your argument.
holy cow! I hope you limbered up befor making that stretch.

He asked a question that actually shows a little more hope for mankind than does a hate crime.

Reactionary much?
Mitch Blood Green
LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

Coke Bear said:

He asked a question that actually shows a little more hope for mankind than does a hate crime.

Reactionary much?

Reactionary? Really? Why? Because three guys decided to drag a mentally ******ed guy to his death.

Maybe you're hoping that they had a good reason to drag the guy to his death.

Can you help me understand what are good reasons?
Florda_mike
no way this should take more than a couple weeks to have done

20+ years? Good grief
LIB,MR BEARS
tommie said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

Coke Bear said:

Reactionary much?

Reactionary? Really? Why? Because three guys decided to drag a mentally ******ed guy to his death.

Oh, look what I found with my first google search on the subject

"Over the years, King has also suggested the brutal slaying was not a hate crime, but a drug deal gone bad involving his co-defendants."

I'm not saying it wasn't a hate crime and I sure didn't read Coke's post ad that either. I'm guessing that is exactly what it was. But, this certainly gives evidence to support Coke's >>>recollection <<< not claim. It was the perp that made the claim.

The knee jerk reaction makes me think your someone's ex-wife or, soon will be.
Osodecentx
tommie said:

Coke Bear said:

The guy got due process

Definitely death penalty worthy

I hope he repented. Karla Fay Tucker did
Alfred Anchorsen
LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

Coke Bear said:

Reactionary much?

"Over the years, King has also suggested the brutal slaying was not a hate crime, but a drug deal gone bad involving his co-defendants."

I'm not saying it wasn't a hate crime and I sure didn't read Coke's post ad that either. I'm guessing that is exactly what it was. But, this certainly gives evidence to support Coke's >>>recollection <<< not claim. It was the perp that made the claim.

Why the heck are you arguing over this? The guy deserves death.
jimdue
I used to be a big time pro death penalty guy. I am now not so much because there have been too many wrongful convictions over the years and quite frankly crooked DAs. Guys like James Byrd killers I will lose no sleep over however but I am ok if he rots in jail for another 30 years as well.

On a side note, I also do not see the need for all of the so called hate crimes law. I am for life without parole for a guy who kills because he is just mean or just wants to steal your stuff for profit just as much as a guy who kills because of race or sexual orientation. Being a racist or a hater of gays should not be against the law. Any criminal actions done as a by product of said hatred should be prosecuted on the merits that violent crimes are terrible and against the law no matter what.
Coke Bear
tommie said:

Coke Bear said:

I never said that. It was a brutal way to kill another human.

I'm somewhat in limbo about the death penalty. Certainly, this case would merit it, if I was still 100% for it.

PS. If the race roles were reversed, I'd still feel the same way.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
"Regardless of the outcome of this, we have made history. Death before dishonor. Sieg heil!" King wrote. An officer investigating the case also testified that witnesses said that King had referenced The Turner Diaries after beating Byrd.

He was a white racist that deserved to die.

I dont think much of the hate crime laws. He should be put down for another mans death no matter the color or racist tattoos, etc etc.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Mitch Blood Green
LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

Coke Bear said:

Reactionary much?

So, my wife caught me having sex with a midget. She says "you cheated on me", I said no I didn't. I almost did.

KOKQB70
Tommie, ding ding, post of day!
LIB,MR BEARS
Alfred Anchorsen said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

Coke Bear said:

Reactionary much?

Why the heck are you arguing over this? The guy deserves death.
I was commenting on his near accusatory response to Coke's comment. Yes, the guy got what he deserved... many years too late.
JXL
Should have happened a long time ago. He's a POS and deserved to die in a much more horrible fashion than he actually did.
Mitch Blood Green
What was most odd about this crime was that it was a stretch to make it a death sentence. Killing a person because of race isn't a capital crime. (Or making it a drug deal gone bad)

So, the prosecutors had to argue it was a kidnapping then a murder.

That gives me pause about the death penalty.
quash
Coke Bear said:

He had time. He never expressed remorse.

And it had NOTHING to do with drugs. The victim was killed for being black. That's it.
quash
JXL said:

Should have happened a long time ago. He's a POS and deserved to die in a much more horrible fashion than he actually did.
My secretary says they should have dragged him to death. Said that if there had been a raffle to see who gets to drag him she'd have bought a ticket. And she's your basic blue hair.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.