President Trump just won with tariffs.

12,612 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Y'all better quit underestimating this man.

Justin Kates
Canada2017
Trump understands economic power .

Many people don't .
Doc Holliday
Canada2017 said:

Trump understands economic power .

Many people don't .
Yep. It's all about leverage.
Johnny Bear
Trump also fully understands that the USA is in a position to negotiate from strength in virtually all of these types of situations and he isn't at all ashamed or afraid to do so. It's a shock to a lot of people to have a POTUS that is ready, willing and able to unapologetically exercise the leverage that the USA has in these types of negotiations instead of being too timid or too afraid to do so. Yes, there's some risk involved - especially in the short term - but it will be more than worth it in the long run.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
"Okay Mexico, you either stem the flow of illegal immigrants or I am going to tax the Hell out of the American people so all of your stuff is more expensive!!!"

Actually, DOC, the American people are winners with NO tariffs.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

"Okay Mexico, you either stem the flow of illegal immigrants or I am going to tax the Hell out of the American people so all of your stuff is more expensive!!!"

I'd much rather sacrifice in the short term to tackle a long term problem which has much worse consequences.

Not everything is about money. It's our governments duty to protect it's citizens.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Doc Holliday said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I'd much rather sacrifice in the short term to tackle a long term problem which has much worse consequences.

Not everything is about money. It's our governments duty to protect it's citizens.
Actually, this is something our President and Mexico's President should have done without any economic threat. In the old days, we used to call it diplomacy.

The U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate need to get off their sorry asses and make an effort to fix this problem. Neither body seems to give a ***** Trump can't fix this by himself.

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Doc Holliday said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Actually, this is something our President and Mexico's President should have done without any economic threat. In the old days, we used to call it diplomacy.

The U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate need to get off their sorry asses and make an effort to fix this problem. Neither body seems to give a ***** Trump can't fix this by himself.
I agree, but we both know that ain't happening.

Democrats have a firewall on immigration reform. Republicans want to perpetuate the problem to campaign and make money on.

You have to respect that POTUS is working with what he has at his disposal. At least he's making the effort and it appears to be working very well.
Mitch Blood Green
riflebear
Dems will do something to destroy this, no way they are going to give Trump a big quick win on the border.
Oldbear83
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

RD2's grandad, June 6 1944:

"This invasion is just crazy. It's going to kill lots of Americans and cost I don't know how much in money we could be using for jobs in the US!"
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

"This invasion is just crazy. It's going to kill lots of Americans and cost I don't know how much in money we could be using for jobs in the US!"
Interesting that you think hating tariffs is un-American. You missed my point. You don't beat the crap out of the cat when the dog poops on the living room floor.

Once again, tariffs are a tax on the American people and American companies. I do not like them. You do. We will once again agree to disagree.

-- Barack Obama
Oldbear83
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

You missed my point. You don't beat the crap out of the cat when the dog poops on the living room floor.

Once again, tariffs are a tax on the American people and American companies. I do not like them. You do. We will once again agree to disagree.
I do not 'like' tariffs, but I recognize the purpose and need.

You obviously think there is a unicorn somewhere which magically fixes these things.

You are correct that we will again disagree.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

You missed my point. You don't beat the crap out of the cat when the dog poops on the living room floor.

You obviously think there is a unicorn somewhere which magically fixes these things.

There are two ways to get the same result.

DONALD TRUMP: "President Obrador. Would you please be so kind to bring me a cerveza out of the fridge?"
or

DONALD TRUMP: "Hey A s shole. Get your ass up and bring me a beer or I am going to whip your ass!"

In the end, you get the same result but just go about it in a different way. It is not called a unicorn. It is called diplomacy. In my opinion, this newest tariff stunt was unnecessary drama, but I am pleased with the result.

-- Barack Obama
riflebear
If Paul Ryan would have done his job we wouldn't be at this point. The GOP were cowards starting in 2017. Now the Dems are even worse in that they would rather see Trump not fulfill a campaign promise over the safety & health of illegals making a dangerous journey and American citizens (including Border patrol, etc) being harmed by dangerous illegals. It's embarrassing how leaders from both parties refuse to get things done that now all of us have to pay for w/ our tax dollars.
Oldbear83
RD2: "It is called diplomacy."

I don't care what name you give your unicorn, the fact that nothing has been done to address the problem for literally decades means it was already overdue for us to use different weapons in our arsenal.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Oldbear83 said:

I don't care what name you give your unicorn, the fact that nothing has been done to address the problem for literally decades means it was already overdue for us to use different weapons in our arsenal.
Obviously you and Donald Trump think that taxing Americans is a "weapon in our arsenal". I don't believe it should be.

-- Barack Obama
Oldbear83
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Obviously you and Donald Trump think that taxing Americans is a "weapon in our arsenal". I don't believe it should be.
Tariffs worked fine for the US for a very long time, going back to George Washington himself.

Your paranoia of tariffs is like people who don't even want law enforcement to carry guns, in the naive belief the criminals will throw away their guns if we do. Same for tariffs; we have been forced to use tariffs because foreign leaders have robbed us when we played nice.

And I observe you have still failed to provide even one specific, practical option we have to protect our IP from Chinese thieves, or to stop Mexico from providing buses and swift passage through to the US for Guatemalan illegals.
riflebear
bearassnekkid
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

There are two ways to get the same result.

DONALD TRUMP: "President Obrador. Would you please be so kind to bring me a cerveza out of the fridge?"
or

DONALD TRUMP: "Hey A s shole. Get your ass up and bring me a beer or I am going to whip your ass!"

In the end, you get the same result but just go about it in a different way. It is not called a unicorn. It is called diplomacy. In my opinion, this newest tariff stunt was unnecessary drama, but I am pleased with the result.
Option A sounds sweet, except when they say "No" and their inaction is hurting the U.S. In such cases, I like Option B.
Golem
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Interesting that you think hating tariffs is un-American. You missed my point. You don't beat the crap out of the cat when the dog poops on the living room floor.

The argument against tariffs (as applied by Trump) is similar to the argument against enhanced interrogation. The naysayers claim the latter doesn't work because it only yields false confessions...when it's not confessions it's intended to yield, but actionable intelligence. The former is denigrated because long term use of tariffs under the guise of protectionism is bad (and it is) but that's not what short term targeted tariffs are being used for.

The tariffs you hate are straw men. Trump uses them to hurt foreign opponents in the short run and, like it or not, they work extraordinarily well in the short run for that purpose.
Booray
This may even top the historic North Korea agreement.

Canada2017
GolemIII said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The argument against tariffs (as applied by Trump) is similar to the argument against enhanced interrogation. The naysayers claim the latter doesn't work because it only yields false confessions...when it's not confessions it's intended to yield, but actionable intelligence. The former is denigrated because long term use of tariffs under the guise of protectionism is bad (and it is) but that's not what short term targeted tariffs are being used for.

The tariffs you hate are straw men. Trump uses them to hurt foreign opponents in the short run and, like it or not, they work extraordinarily well in the short run for that purpose.

100% correct
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
GolemIII said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

After the Trump administration, our elected politicians will have a new weapon. They can just package and present new taxes as "tariffs". Americans hate taxes. They cost George H. Bush his second term for President. New tariffs are a sure fire way to increase tax revenue since most everybody,(even Republicans) seem to just love them.

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
GolemIII said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

For the record, I am all for enhanced interrogation and waterboarding. I don't think we use them enough. To say the argument against tariffs is similar to the argument against enhanced interrogation is kinda like saying Elizabeth Warren will win the Democratic nomination because zebras have black and white stripes. One really has nothing to do with the other.

-- Barack Obama
Oldbear83
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

GolemIII said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

After the Trump administration, our elected politicians will have a new weapon. They can just package and present new taxes as "tariffs". Americans hate taxes. They cost George H. Bush his second term for President. New tariffs are a sure fire way to increase tax revenue since most everybody,(even Republicans) seem to just love them.
Debbie Downer, ladies and gentlemen. She will be here posting as RD2 through January 2025.
Canada2017
RD2 is always a worthwhile read in my book .
Florda_mike
As a result of past catches of Cinque socks, I now find myself questioning newfound anti-Trumpers on this site and others

Right now I'm questioning Aliceinbubble and RD2

It might be wrong but we're dealing with a lowlife in this
Cinque/Jinx/Quash/etc character
Oldbear83
Florda_mike said:

As a result of past catches of Cinque socks, I now find myself questioning newfound anti-Trumpers on this site and others

It's not that cinque has created new fake personas, it's more than some people put their personal desires ahead of good of the country, and cannot accept that President Trump means what he says about addressing threats to America.

One thing I am very glad to see, is how Trump resists the use of military force as his first option, something Obama, Bush and Clinton did not do.
Sam Lowry
GolemIII said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Actionable BS is still BS.
Sam Lowry
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

GolemIII said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I don't know which of these statements is more perplexing - that tariffs are new or that everyone loves them.
Canada2017
Oldbear83 said:

Florda_mike said:

It's not that cinque has created new fake personas, it's more than some people put their personal desires ahead of good of the country, and cannot accept that President Trump means what he says about addressing threats to America.

One thing I am very glad to see, is how Trump resists the use of military force as his first option, something Obama, Bush and Clinton did not do.

Good point.

Economic retaliation beats the hell out of military action .
BrooksBearLives
riflebear said:

The Mexican National guard doesn't exist yet, LOL.

Every single thing in this "agreement" was already agreed to months ago.

This is an absolute joke. You're kidding with all this, right?

Trump got played again. And all of his supporters are just going along with it.
Oldbear83
Bitter and deluded, you are.

Much you will resent next year's election.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.