The myth of meritocracy

54,863 Views | 619 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waco1947
BrooksBearLives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/schooled2lose/

Study: It's better to have rich parents than be smart

A recent report from the Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce (CEW) finds that there is a correct answer to the often posed hypothetical of being born with a big brain or a big bank account.

The big picture: In "Born to Win, Schooled to Lose," researchers found that being born "affluent" but dim carries a 7 in 10 chance of reaching a high socioeconomic status as an adult, while being born intelligent but "disadvantaged" means just a 3-in-10 shot.

Details: "The study found that a kindergarten student from the bottom 25% of socioeconomic status with test scores from the top 25% of students has a 31% chance of earning a college education and working a job that pays at least $35,000 by the time they are 25, and at least $45,000 by the time they are 35," CNBC's Abigail Hess reports.
  • "A kindergarten student from the top 25% of socioeconomic status with test scores from the bottom 25% of students had a 71% chance of achieving the same achievements," Hess writes.

How they did it: Researchers analyzed data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), tracing students from kindergarten to adulthood, assessing how they did on standardized math tests.
Doc Holliday
Not surprising at all.

What is your solution for this?
bearassnekkid
Another conclusion of the study possibly not discussed (didn't read it):

Children often rise to the level of expectation placed on them by family and community. If they are expected to try hard in school, and go to college, they typically do, regardless of in-born intellect. If those expectations aren't placed on them, they often don't, regardless of in-born intellect.

Nurture is as important, if not way more so, than Nature when it comes to achievement/advancement. Obviously, those with a leg up from parents who managed to be successful have a better chance than those whose parents can't help them financially, but there's more to it than just the money.
william
there is no 'myth of roast'.

- KKM

... and that's a good thing.

Fetterman2024
Waco1947
BrooksBearLives said:

A recent report from the Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce (CEW) finds that there is a correct answer to the often posed hypothetical of being born with a big brain or a big bank account.

The big picture: In "Born to Win, Schooled to Lose," researchers found that being born "affluent" but dim carries a 7 in 10 chance of reaching a high socioeconomic status as an adult, while being born intelligent but "disadvantaged" means just a 3-in-10 shot.

Details: "The study found that a kindergarten student from the bottom 25% of socioeconomic status with test scores from the top 25% of students has a 31% chance of earning a college education and working a job that pays at least $35,000 by the time they are 25, and at least $45,000 by the time they are 35," CNBC's Abigail Hess reports.
  • "A kindergarten student from the top 25% of socioeconomic status with test scores from the bottom 25% of students had a 71% chance of achieving the same achievements," Hess writes.

How they did it: Researchers analyzed data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), tracing students from kindergarten to adulthood, assessing how they did on standardized math tests.

Yep
Waco1947
Doc Holliday
What do you want?
syme
Test scores as Kindergarteners were used to determine their inherent intelligence for the rest of their life?

Many hit their real potential much later on when the rubber really starts to meet the road.
Edmond Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

Sounds like you are advocating that people should work hard and be innovative to become wealthy.
BusyTarpDuster2017

This study looked at MATH test scores ONLY. You can't be an intelligent person and believe this is a valid or reliable indicator of someone's overall intelligence, or that only math is needed for future "success".

From the looks of it, I think this "study" is yet another example of leftist propaganda masquerading as "science".
BrooksBearLives
Edmond Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Sounds like you are advocating that people should work hard and be innovative to become wealthy.

You should really read the study.

The point is that being smart is much less of a predictor of success than the wealth of your parents.

That's not meritocratic. That's the opposite of meritocratic.
ValhallaBear
Doc Holliday said:

Not surprising at all.

Give everybody a bunch of money
william
pay up, whitey...........

- KKM

Fetterman2024
Johnny Bear
ValhallaBear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Not surprising at all.

Give everybody a bunch of money
Good point - that always works. Just look at our educational system as an example. Oh wait............
Doc Holliday
william said:

- KKM

lol
william

>> In 2017, federal, state, and local governments spent $3,882 billion on social programs. This amounts to:
  • 60% of all current government spending.
  • $11,918 for every person living in the U.S.
  • $30,755 for every household in the U.S.
  • 19.9% of the U.S. gross domestic product.<<<<

Fetterman2024
Booray
william said:

>> In 2017, federal, state, and local governments spent $3,882 billion on social programs. This amounts to:

How much of that is Medicare and Social Security Retirement payments?

I ask because those two programs tend to reinforce socioeconomic status.
BrooksBearLives
Booray said:

william said:

How much of that is Medicare and Social Security Retirement payments?

I ask because those two programs tend to reinforce socioeconomic status.

Medicare and Medicaid alone are 26% of all the budget.

Social Security is 24%.

So 83% of all money spent on social programs, to answer your question, is what percentage is made up of Medicare/aid and Social Security.

So, basically, William is kind of full of *****

We spend roughly twice as much on Defense than we do on safety net programs.
Waco1947
The myth that Jesus is the only.
The myth that I choose my own way.
The myth that Western civilization is the best
Waco1947
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

The myth that Jesus is the only.
The myth that I choose my own way.
The myth that Western civilization is the best
Yeah there's still no way in hell you're a pastor.
Sam Lowry
william said:

Correctamundo!
william
william said:

- KKM

already 30 years.

yikes.

- BUmma

good album.

Fetterman2024
william
BrooksBearLives said:

So, basically, William is kind of full of *****

We spend roughly twice as much on Defense than we do on safety net programs.
all kidding aside: we can ALL agree we are broke. w no relief in sight.

we are adding a Trillion a year to the debt.

Not Good - so even if we raise taxes - wh we need to gradually - serious cuts are needed - across the board.

I think just doing a flat budget for 4 years would be a start.

Rand Paul has brought this idear up for a vote many times - never gotten any support.

So - as usual - we will likely have to have a disaster before anything serious gets down.

I would recommend to start planning now for some form of devaluation - whether that is precious metals (in physical form not stocks of mining cos) or cryptos or whatever.

we will be at $30 T very soon.

- KKM

so that means social programs need to be satisfied w the $3.5 T or whatever it is - work smarter - cut duplicate agencies etc.

Fetterman2024
BearN
This is the Land of Opportunity. Not the Land of Meritocracy.

It oftentimes takes multiple generations of hard work and sacrifice in a family before reaching a certain socioeconomic status. That was certainly true in my family. Many of the people on this board had grandparents that were dirt poor starting families during the Great Depression. There was no Food Stamps. No Social Security. No Free Handouts. College wasn't even something they could afford to dream about. Many of them couldn't even go to high school.

Until they publish a study where they track a generation busting their ass working 60+ hours a week so that they can save enough to send their kids to college, make good grades, and bust their ass 60+ hours a week to send those kids to college, I don't want to hear about it.

Anybody who thinks life is always fair is in for a life of disappointment.
Waco1947
BearN said:

It oftentimes takes multiple generations of hard work and sacrifice in a family before reaching a certain socioeconomic status. That was certainly true in my family. Many of the people on this board had grandparents that were dirt poor starting families during the Great Depression. There was no Food Stamps. No Social Security. No Free Handouts. College wasn't even something they could afford to dream about. Many of them couldn't even go to high school.

Until they publish a study where they track a generation busting their ass working 60+ hours a week so that they can save enough to send their kids to college, make good grades, and bust their ass 60+ hours a week to send those kids to college, I don't want to hear about it.

Are you black?
Waco1947
BearN
Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

Are you black?
The OP referenced a study that was done this past decade. My example was over a time period of 3 generations. It would take two more generations from now, 40+ years, for what you are trying to insinuate to have any relevance.

Are you a race baiter? Do you have an entitlement mentality that thinks the government owes you something?
Waco1947
BearN said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

Are you black?
The OP referenced a study that was done this past decade. My example was over a time period of 3 generations. It would take two more generations from now, 40+ years, for what you are trying to insinuate to have any relevance.

Are you a race baiter? Do you have an entitlement mentality that thinks the government owes you something?
Not what I said ? Entitlement is your word not mine.
That's your lenses. Your 3 generation analogy is a fraud. I went through the exact same generational prism but I have enough gratitude in me to know to thank those on whose shoulders I stood.
My Dad got the GI Bill and a VHA loan on our first house. I got my education in a Methodist university and seminary on the strength of a thousand local churches, Sunday School classes, and women's mission groups. I was not "entitled " to any of it but I have deep felt gratitude for the government and my denomination for giving me a hand up. I was born white too and that helped. I went to good Waco segregated schools not black inferior schools. That's not meritocracy but segregation and being born in the right white family.
I turn now and give a hand up to all desire it not a hand up.
Waco1947
BearN
Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

Are you black?

Not what I said ? Entitlement is your word not mine.
That's your lenses. Your 3 generation analogy is a fraud. I went through the exact same generational prism but I have enough gratitude in me to know to thank those on whose shoulders I stood.
My Dad got the GI Bill and a VHA loan on our first house. I got my education in a Methodist university and seminary on the strength of a thousand local churches, Sunday School classes, and women's mission groups. I was not "entitled " to any of it but I have deep felt gratitude for the government and my denomination for giving me a hand up. I was born white too and that helped. I went to good Waco segregated schools not black inferior schools. That's not meritocracy but segregation and being born in the right white family.
I turn now and give a hand up to all desire it not a hand up.
What helped is that A) you had a dad, B) he stuck around long enough to provide a home for you, and C) your dad got the GI Bill and went to college. Do they still not allow minorities to serve in the military? I'm pretty sure they do. And thanks to President Trump, the benefits for those that serve just got a whole lot better. So college and VA loans are available to all. Thanks for helping me make my point.

https://rebootcamp.militarytimes.com/education-transition/education/2017/08/16/trump-signed-the-forever-gi-bill-here-are-11-things-you-should-know/
BearN
Waco1947 said:

I got my education in a Methodist university and seminary
So what is your connection to Baylor? Or were you just sent here to torment us?
Edmond Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

Edmond Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

The point is that being smart is much less of a predictor of success than the wealth of your parents.

I'm aware of the study and the dozen others that have attempted to explain the same thing. This is the only study that suggests education by itself is the answer. That should be a clue to you.

Multiple peer reviewed studies say that Open Networks is by far the greatest predictor of career success. As it turns out, people who come from wealthy families know people that own businesses or are C-Level managers of companies and can strongly influence hiring decisions.

It's all in who you know.

Basically, you've hand selected an advocacy study.

Canada2017
BrooksBearLives said:

Edmond Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

I certainly believe this to be true.

Which is why parents should aid their offspring in every possible way throughout their lives .
JXL
Doc Holliday said:

Not surprising at all.

Brave New World set out a good leftist model to solve this problem.
Golem
IQ is not Merit. Merit is earned. Plenty of lazy people have high IQs. The fact that the OP conflates IQ and Merit, suggests he lacks both.

Rich parents generally get there through hard work and thus merit their wealth. They pass along their work ethic and their children learn to merit their own successes.

Meritocracy is a fact, not a myth.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Edmond Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

I certainly believe this to be true.

Which is why parents should aid their offspring in every possible way throughout their lives .
The hand you hold is the hand that holds you down. The worst thing you can do for someone is something they should do for themselves. Parents should raise children to become adults by at least 20. A plus 20 year old sucking on the family teat is just like a 5 year old that gets up, goes and gets a diaper and hands it to his mother to change him. Parents that try to maintain a life time of control by nursing babies that should be grown need to let go. The difference between a boy and a man is that a man is independant. A boy is not. The more people a man takes care of the more manly he is.

Controlling parents do much more harm than good in the long run.
contrario
One could find anecdotal evidence and cherry pick either side of the argument if they wanted to. But the fact is, it takes hard work to be independently successful. Having wealthy parents may give someone an advantage, but they still have to put in the hard work to be successful. I've known plenty of people from wealthy parents that are failures at life and I've met just as many people from poor parents that are successful at life. Each person is different, has different motivations and measures individual success differently, so any study that has concrete results must be examined closely to find the motivation of the conductor of the study.
BrooksBearLives
Edmond Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Edmond Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

I'm aware of the study and the dozen others that have attempted to explain the same thing. This is the only study that suggests education by itself is the answer. That should be a clue to you.

Multiple peer reviewed studies say that Open Networks is by far the greatest predictor of career success. As it turns out, people who come from wealthy families know people that own businesses or are C-Level managers of companies and can strongly influence hiring decisions.

It's all in who you know.

Basically, you've hand selected an advocacy study.

If that's your outcome of this, then I sincerely don't think you read it.

Saying "education is the answer" is almost the OPPOSITE" of the outcomes here.

The point is that education is one of the LEAST predictive measures of success.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.