Gun controlled Canada

5,179 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sam Lowry
Jack and DP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/faisal-hussain-toronto-shooting-rampage-new-details-emerge-about-gunman-2018-07-24/
Doc Holliday
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yes. I own several guns. They are tools. I dont love them. One stays in the barn and the others are on my closet. The one in the barn is loaded.

I dont carry unless I am riding the fence line. I dont hide them or take to church or sporting events. I own a few rifles a few shotguns and twi pistols. I probably own more guns than most here. I dont think most Americans need ak's or need to pack heat at church or playgrounds or sporting events bars or restaurants. If fear keeps you from sleeping go ahead put one under your pillows and grip it tightly. That's something I cant relate to.
Do you think AK's and AR's should be banned?

If so, why?
I said most arent needed. I understand gun lovers and the camel nose under the tent logic. I think you have to draw the line somewhere. How about bazookas? Gatling guns? Peronally if I thought I needed an AR to protect myself against the government or hoodlums I would leave and find a safer place to live.
What if nowhere is safe?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I visit many places where I can walk through a huge downtown with no fear. I cant say that about Dallas or Houston.
Florda_mike
Jack and DP said:

In 2015, Montana had 36 murders with around a one million population. In 2019, Jackson, MS has a population of around 180,000 and already has 51 murders for the year. The gun laws are very similar. What's the difference?

Republicans mostly in Montana and "no dad" gangster democrats in Jackson
Florda_mike
fadskier said:

Jack and DP said:

In 2015, Montana had 36 murders with around a one million population. In 2019, Jackson, MS has a population of around 180,000 and already has 51 murders for the year. The gun laws are very similar. What's the difference?
I'd move to Montana in a heartbeat if my wife would say yes...

The wealthy are migrating there I've heard?
Florda_mike

I visit many places where I can walk through a huge downtown with no fear. I cant say that about Dallas or Houston.

Certainly agree 100% on Dallas/Houston

Where then?
Canada2017

Canada2017 said:

Yes. I own several guns. They are tools. I dont love them. One stays in the barn and the others are on my closet. The one in the barn is loaded.

I dont carry unless I am riding the fence line. I dont hide them or take to church or sporting events. I own a few rifles a few shotguns and twi pistols. I probably own more guns than most here. I dont think most Americans need ak's or need to pack heat at church or playgrounds or sporting events bars or restaurants. If fear keeps you from sleeping go ahead put one under your pillows and grip it tightly. That's something I cant relate to.

And you shoot your dogs correct ?

Yes, when one of my Great Pyrenees becomes too old to work and is in pain and suffering I put it down. Some die of old age but I have had to do this a few times over the years.

Dogs get too old to work ....so then you shoot them ?

Own several guns, rifles and shotguns ...but set yourself up to criticize other gun owners ?

Slam immigration policies on the southern border....while you live in Asia ?

You are an interesting individual.
Buddha Bear
Florda_mike said:

Where then?
Most of them are outside of the U.S.
Florda_mike
Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Where then?

Figured that but I'm hoping to find out where?
Buddha Bear
Florda_mike said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Where then?

The downtown area of any city in Australia is fine. I've only felt somewhat in danger there near Fortitude Valley in Brisbane. Mainly because there were police patrolling everywhere in that area, and it was the only place that looked slightly run down. Sydney and Melbourne are easy walking all day and night.

In Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Hong Kong, Kigali (Rwanda), Budapest, Rome, Barcelona and Auckland....I felt completely safe. And probably the safest metropolis in the world to walk downtown is....Singapore.

Florda_mike
Yeah thanks

We have friends fixing to take month long vacation to Australia

They say it's like going back 30-40 years in US

Thanks for verifying that

Sounds like a comfortable place

And thanks for the others too

Maybe a thread on experiences of those that have traveled the world would have value?
Buddha Bear
Florda_mike said:

Yeah thanks

We have friends fixing to take month long vacation to Australia

They say it's like going back 30-40 years in US

Thanks for verifying that

Sounds like a comfortable place

And thanks for the others too

Maybe a thread on experiences of those that have traveled the world would have value?
They should be perfectly safe in Australia. One of the cleanest countries I've ever been to also. Message me if you every have any travel questions, happy to help.
fadskier
Florda_mike said:

fadskier said:

Jack and DP said:

It's not a cheap place to live, to be sure.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
fadskier
Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Where then?

The downtown area of any city in Australia is fine. I've only felt somewhat in danger there near Fortitude Valley in Brisbane. Mainly because there were police patrolling everywhere in that area, and it was the only place that looked slightly run down. Sydney and Melbourne are easy walking all day and night.

In Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Hong Kong, Kigali (Rwanda), Budapest, Rome, Barcelona and Auckland....I felt completely safe. And probably the safest metropolis in the world to walk downtown is....Singapore.

Singapore is pretty strict isn't it? Is that where they "caned" that guy?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Canada2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

Yes, when one of my Great Pyrenees becomes too old to work and is in pain and suffering I put it down. Some die of old age but I have had to do this a few times over the years.

Own several guns, rifles and shotguns ...but set yourself up to criticize other gun owners ?

Thank you so much. Just to clarify:

1. When an old dog is in pain I put it down.
2. My guns are tools. I dont take them to church or football games or Walmart. I dont take my guns to town and I dont sleep with them.
3. Though I do work and vacation over seas, (good morning from BKK by the way), my ranch, property, and permanent address are still in Texas.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Florda_mike said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Where then?

Bangkok never sleeps and I have walked home at in the early hours many times, includng last night. The same can be said about Hong Kong. Manila is safe at night, as are many of the huge cities in China. Vientiane, the largest city in Laos is safe. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are very same at all hours.
Canada2017

Canada2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

Thank you so much. Just to clarify:

1. When an old dog is in pain I put it down.
2. My guns are tools. I dont take them to church or football games or Walmart. I dont take my guns to town and I dont sleep with them.
3. Though I do work and vacation over seas, (good morning from BKK by the way), my ranch, property, and permanent address are still in Texas.

To clarify....you haven't shot any of your dogs because they could no longer 'do the work'.

Rather only if they were obviously suffering ?

So if they were simply old you didn't put them down ?

BTW I have shot wild dogs when they attacked my calves .
And put down more cows than I care to think about with a point blank bullet in their forehead .

No longer consider my firearms 'tools' as I am retired now.
Never 'loved' them......have never known anyone who does .

These days they are concealed and totally for protection . Especially on long road trips-hikes .
Buddha Bear
fadskier said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Where then?

It is the safest city in the world if you're not breaking their laws. It's not the freest, but it is the safest for law abiding citizens.
fadskier
Buddha Bear said:

fadskier said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Where then?

It is the safest city in the world if you're not breaking their laws. It's not the freest, but it is the safest for law abiding citizens.
I wasn't meaning it as a knock against them...just trying to figure out if it was where I was thinking of. I'm all for enforcement.
curtpenn
redfish961 said:

pruritus_ani said:

cinque said:

redfish961 said:

cinque said:

I'm not being trite when I say the obvious difference between us and Canada is we value guns more than people.
Canada doesn't.
So why did this happen?
Because some people who shouldn't have guns still manage to get them, despite the government's good faith effort to protect its people from gun violence.
Winston Churchill once told his slow-moving commander Bernard Law Montgomery that when it came to war planning, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

What you have all too often on this site is one side demanding that whatever plan you have, it must be perfect before they'll accept it. Especially when it comes to any kind of gun legislation.

Actually, both "sides" use it with whatever point someone tries to make. It's pretty silly, but it does shut down actual thoughtful conversation. Which is awesome ... if you're ****ing stupid.
I'd agree with this.

It's more like a game with "teams" rather than trying to find a solution.
Just my opinion, but there is no real "solution" other than to live in the tension inherent in the current situation. I fear the state more than I fear being randomly shot. Don't see that balance improving maybe ever. Looking at real world data, one's chances of being killed by a gun (setting aside suicides) is vanishingly small; particularly if one lives outside of a relative handful of zip codes.

The fear is overstated by the left and media in their frenzy for clicks, relevance, and transformation/destruction of Western Civilization. Mao was correct; "Political power grows from the barrel of a gun". Best not to forget that lesson.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Florda_mike said:

fadskier said:

Jack and DP said:

You could always move there just to raise up a crop of dental floss. Raisin it up waxen it down in a little white box you can sell uptown

Florda_mike

Florda_mike said:

fadskier said:

Jack and DP said:

You could always move there just to raise up a crop of dental floss. Raisin it up waxen it down in a little white box you can sell uptown

Not sure this is popular here but I remember the song and Zappa was one of my favorites
bearassnekkid

How does the US compare with other countries?
About 40% of Americans say they own a gun or live in a household with one, according to a 2017 survey, and the rate of murder or manslaughter by firearm is the highest in the developed world. There were more than 11,000 deaths as a result of murder or manslaughter involving a firearm in 2016.

Homicides are taken here to include murder and manslaughter. The FBI separates statistics for what it calls justifiable homicide, which includes the killing of a criminal by a police officer or private citizen in certain circumstances, which are not included.
In about 13% of cases, the FBI does not have data on the weapon used. By removing these cases from the overall total of gun deaths in the US, the proportion of gun-related killings rises to 73% of homicides.

73% to 30%. Well, maybe not.
So, if there's a chart for percentage of homicides committed by means other than guns, America would look way, way better than Australia.

I mean, Australia has a HUGE "other than gun" problem. They really need to do something about that. 87%!! A full 87% of their homicides were committed with non-guns. It's rampant. They need to pass some laws to take care of that 87%. U.S. looks a lot better with only 36%. Less than half of Australia's non-gun problem.

Sarcasm off: It's not the instrument-of-choice that's the problem.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
So homicide rate of America and Australia should be about the same if you just count homicides in general and not single out guns.

Sam Lowry
America has the highest per capita gun ownership rate in the world, and our murder rate is below the global average. So in general the idea that less guns equals less murders doesn't seem to hold up.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.