Why heaven? Why hell?

1,004 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UBBY
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why create a heaven or hell to begin with? Why not let people die with no afterlife. Is it an obsession with reward/punishment by God?

A friend asked me this question. I'd like the views of some Christians with a deeper knowledge of the Bible than I.
Doc Holliday
I don't think Hell is fire and punishment.

I think it's complete removal from existence. If you don't bow and kiss gods feet and do whatever he desires...you're not worthy of existence. You simply cannot be allowed to exist in any format ever.
corncob pipe
I think Ronnie James Dio has some answers

robby44
Ecclesiastes 3:20

All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust.
UBBY
Doc Holliday said:

I think it's complete removal from existence. If you don't bow and kiss gods feet and do whatever he desires...you're not worthy of existence. You simply cannot be allowed to exist in any format ever.
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. If not then is this just your interpretation of what hell is like? I don't think this is what the bible says.
Doc Holliday
UBBY said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. If not then is this just your interpretation of what hell is like? I don't think this is what the bible says.
Malachi 4:1-5 says that on the day of the Lord, "'All the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up,' Says the Lord of hosts, 'That will leave them neither root nor branch'...You shall trample the wicked, for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet."

Psalms 37:10, 20 also states that the wicked will be no more, they will be carefully looked for but not found. Verse 20 adds that the enemies of the Lord will die and vanish away into smoke. All that is left of the wicked is smoke and ashes, there will not be any part of them left to be tortured forever.

In Romans 6:23, the Bible says that the wages of sin is death. The Bible does not say that the wages of sin is eternal punishment. Also take a look at John 3:16 which says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." This verse talks about two options. One option is to perish, which means to disappear or be destroyed: to cease to exist. The other option is everlasting life. Neither of these two verses talk about everlasting torment.

I interpret this as removal from existence. Like as in you will no longer have a soul.
redfish961
corncob pipe said:

I think Ronnie James Dio has some answers

Yep.
redfish961
robby44 said:

Yep...And when are you coming to a tailgate? Haven't seen you guys in a while.
JXL
robby44 said:

This was the view of the Jewish sect known as the Sadducees. Christ took a very different approach, portraying Hell as a real place which one should avoid at all cost (e.g Matt. 5:29).

Furthermore, Christ depicted Hell as a place of consciousness, or the story of Lazarus in Luke 16:20 wouldn't make sense.

Hell was created for the devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41). However, souls are eternal creations, so those souls who choose separation from God have to go somewhere, and Hell is the only place where they can have the separation they chose, so there they are.

https://crossexamined.org/good-god-create-hell/
LIB,MR BEARS
JXL said:

robby44 said:

This was the view of the Jewish sect known as the Sadducees. Christ took a very different approach, portraying Hell as a real place which one should avoid at all cost (e.g Matt. 5:29).

Furthermore, Christ depicted Hell as a place of consciousness, or the story of Lazarus in Luke 16:20 wouldn't make sense.

Hell was created for the devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41). However, souls are eternal creations, so those souls who choose separation from God have to go somewhere, and Hell is the only place where they can have the separation they chose, so there they are.

This is my understanding. But, I'd still like to hear from others.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I have always struggled with the concept of Heaven and Hell. What if all the things I enjoy on earth are not in Heaven? What if there are no boobies? No steak and lobster? No vodka? Is Heaven going to be boring? Do you have a job when you get to Heaven to keep you busy?

By the same token, I hate the extreme heat. I like the idea of sunshine and 72 degrees, and when it comes to eternity, so I just might have to put up with the boredom.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
robby44 said:

Amen Brother Robby. Half of my ashes are to be spread in Geronimo Creek (where I live) and the other half at South Padre Island, Texas in the surf. My wife wants the same. No chilly pine box six feet under for us. We don't want to waste any real estate when we're gone.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
UBBY
JXL said:

robby44 said:

It seems that you and Doc may both be right, according to what the bible says. Then which is true?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.