Baylor preparing to surrender to the LBGBT movement?

77,725 Views | 667 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by whiterock
cinque
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Edmond Bear said:

No one taught me homosexuality is a sin. Scripture teaches that sex outside of a marriage between a man and woman is a sin. A person can be homosexual and celibate and not be sinning.

Technically, one can be celibate and still sin.
cinque
The most arrogant statement I've read in this thread was made by the poster claiming to be "proud" of his homosexual friends who struggle not to sin, as if that sets them apart from him in some important way.
bearassnekkid
cinque said:

The most arrogant statement I've read in this thread was made by the poster claiming to be "proud" of his homosexual friends who struggle not to sin, as if that sets them apart from him in some important way.

It does set them apart. I'm acknowledging that their denial of self and struggle against their particular sin nature is in many ways more difficult than my own. We don't all have the same walk. Theirs is a difficult one , and I'm proud of my friends who walk it successfully.
bearassnekkid
cinque said:

bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

The Even if the Bible is good for teaching, correction, etc., it does not address every situation known to the human condition. What does it teach on in vitro fertilization? Does it speak to that issue? Because it doesn't does that make the concern or question a false premise? Can a couple discern the will of God without the specific biblical teaching?
You tried to deflect by chastising me for using lust as an example and you jump to in vitro fertilization? You trying to set a world record for disingenuousness or something?

Also, you just proved my point with this post (accidentally I'm sure). But I'm not interested in pointing out your logic flaws, I'm here to answer your questions that you said hadn't been answered. What are they?
Again, how should same gender loving men live when the Bible is silent on same gender loving consent, and mutuality, and since it is possible for their love to transcend that of what they could feel for a woman?

It's not silent. Romans 1:24-32 describes the sinful behavior.
It describes "dishonorable passions" and "shameless acts." Does it say anything about deeply abiding love that transcends what could be experienced with a woman?
Why do you feel the need to add to it? Saying that the Bible is silent as to certain scenarios attached to sin and therefore those scenarios could be deemed not sinful . . . is nebulous at best and nefarious at worst. Do you do the same thing with other sins? The Bible doesn't say anything about "deeply abiding love" with a mistress that "transcends what could be experienced with your wife" either. Does that mean adultery is ok if it includes that qualifier? Of course not.

To answer your specific question, the answer is "They should live in accordance with what the Bible is NOT silent on." Namely, they should not act on their sinful proclivities (in this case homosexual desires) just like the rest of us shouldn't act on ours. You claiming that "their love could transcend that of what they could feel for a woman" is completely irrelevant. Transcendental feelings aren't what Godly commands are made of. One could use the whole "but but but I feel strongly a certain way" to justify virtually every sin listed in the Bible. In fact, Satan uses that all the time to lead people into sinful choices.

All that said, I don't pretend that this particular sinful proclivity is an easy one to overcome. I have two close friends (one of whom is an occasional participant on this site) who do so, and I can say I am prouder of them than I am of any other friend who overcomes sin in their lives. It is a difficult, and often lonely, road to walk. I have great compassion and admiration for people who walk in faith regarding this subject.
How can you call it sin if the only same gender loving reference of deep abiding love in Scripture is a positive one?
What sexual relationship are you referring to?
The one in Scripture that details the depth of one man's love for his friend who died: "Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of a women"
One wonders what point the bereaved man was trying to make when he intentionally sought to distinguish the love he felt from for his friend from that usually shared between friends. He compared it to something deeper that is typically experienced between a man and a woman.
How should same gender loving Christians understand this particular pericope?

Ohhhhhhh. I thought we were talking about homosexuality. I didn't realize you had completely changed the subject without telling anyone.

Waco1947
Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Baylor doesn't have a divorce recognition group or a sex outside of marriage group, why would it recognize an LGBTQ group?

For clarity, the note does not say anything about recognizing anyone. It says that the Board was advised on how to provide a loving environment to people who probably need it the most.

There are gay people at Baylor, probably engaging in sinful acts....like everyone else at Baylor and anywhere else. If every sinner was thrown out of Baylor, we'd have no one left.

Divorce and adultery are false equivalences. LGBT people are not sinning. It is you who sins in condemnation

I would direct you to scripture but that doesn't appear to mean anything to you.

Only if you believe LGBTQ is a sin. ANd Homosexuality as sin is open to our interpretation.
Romans 1: 26 doesn't say a word a word about homosexuality or homosexuals.
Who taught you homosexuality was a sin?

Many folks have quoted you chapter and verse many times.

You simply ignore them and repeat the same bull**** .

It's called interpretation of Scripture. There is no one answer to homosexuality in the Bible. Are you not open to interpretation?
Does "The Lord is my shepherd" mean the same to you as 20 years ago?
quash
bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

It does set them apart. I'm acknowledging that their denial of self and struggle against their particular sin nature is in many ways more difficult than my own. We don't all have the same walk. Theirs is a difficult one , and I'm proud of my friends who walk it successfully.
Struggling against their god-given nature.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Waco1947
bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

It ain't a sin
Friscobear
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Baylor doesn't have a divorce recognition group or a sex outside of marriage group, why would it recognize an LGBTQ group?

For clarity, the note does not say anything about recognizing anyone. It says that the Board was advised on how to provide a loving environment to people who probably need it the most.

There are gay people at Baylor, probably engaging in sinful acts....like everyone else at Baylor and anywhere else. If every sinner was thrown out of Baylor, we'd have no one left.

Divorce and adultery are false equivalences. LGBT people are not sinning. It is you who sins in condemnation

I would direct you to scripture but that doesn't appear to mean anything to you.

Only if you believe LGBTQ is a sin. ANd Homosexuality as sin is open to our interpretation.

It's called interpretation of Scripture. There is no one answer to homosexuality in the Bible. Are you not open to interpretation?

Learn to use the quote function. Good grief.
“At the end of the day, for 40 minutes, we just kicked their ass.”

- Mark Vital
LIB,MR BEARS
In Mark 12:41-44, a widow gave up two small coins but, it was all she had. Why is what she gave up, as small as it was, so much better than what everyone else gave? Did her position in life, her poverty and HARDSHIP, put her in a better position to properly worship God than those who were better off?

Can other hardships place individuals in a better position to worship or serve God than those with few, if any hardships? Can homosexual feelings be one of those hardships?
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

In Mark 12:41-44, a widow gave up two small coins but, it was all she had. Why is what she gave up, as small as it was, so much better than what everyone else gave? Did her position in life, her poverty and HARDSHIP, put her in a better position to properly worship God than those who were better off?

Can other hardships place individuals in a better position to worship or serve God than those with few, if any hardships? Can homosexual feelings be one of those hardships?
That was probably the thorn in Paul's side.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

That was probably the thorn in Paul's side.
Ive never considered that. For sake of this conversation, let's say it was.
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Only the prideful or woefully ignorant would attempt to twist Scripture's obvious and repeated condemnation of homosexual practices.
cinque
bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

The only difference in their "struggle" and yours is they must fight against something certain kinds of Christians feel duty bound to weigh in on in a very public way. Nobody gets to tell you how proud they are of you for not being self righteous.
cinque
Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Only the prideful or woefully ignorant would attempt to twist Scripture's obvious and repeated condemnation of homosexual practices.
I agree. Shame on them
Canada2017
cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

Then go....and sin no more.
cinque
bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

The Even if the Bible is good for teaching, correction, etc., it does not address every situation known to the human condition. What does it teach on in vitro fertilization? Does it speak to that issue? Because it doesn't does that make the concern or question a false premise? Can a couple discern the will of God without the specific biblical teaching?
You tried to deflect by chastising me for using lust as an example and you jump to in vitro fertilization? You trying to set a world record for disingenuousness or something?

Also, you just proved my point with this post (accidentally I'm sure). But I'm not interested in pointing out your logic flaws, I'm here to answer your questions that you said hadn't been answered. What are they?
Again, how should same gender loving men live when the Bible is silent on same gender loving consent, and mutuality, and since it is possible for their love to transcend that of what they could feel for a woman?

It's not silent. Romans 1:24-32 describes the sinful behavior.
It describes "dishonorable passions" and "shameless acts." Does it say anything about deeply abiding love that transcends what could be experienced with a woman?
Why do you feel the need to add to it? Saying that the Bible is silent as to certain scenarios attached to sin and therefore those scenarios could be deemed not sinful . . . is nebulous at best and nefarious at worst. Do you do the same thing with other sins? The Bible doesn't say anything about "deeply abiding love" with a mistress that "transcends what could be experienced with your wife" either. Does that mean adultery is ok if it includes that qualifier? Of course not.

To answer your specific question, the answer is "They should live in accordance with what the Bible is NOT silent on." Namely, they should not act on their sinful proclivities (in this case homosexual desires) just like the rest of us shouldn't act on ours. You claiming that "their love could transcend that of what they could feel for a woman" is completely irrelevant. Transcendental feelings aren't what Godly commands are made of. One could use the whole "but but but I feel strongly a certain way" to justify virtually every sin listed in the Bible. In fact, Satan uses that all the time to lead people into sinful choices.

All that said, I don't pretend that this particular sinful proclivity is an easy one to overcome. I have two close friends (one of whom is an occasional participant on this site) who do so, and I can say I am prouder of them than I am of any other friend who overcomes sin in their lives. It is a difficult, and often lonely, road to walk. I have great compassion and admiration for people who walk in faith regarding this subject.
How can you call it sin if the only same gender loving reference of deep abiding love in Scripture is a positive one?
What sexual relationship are you referring to?
The one in Scripture that details the depth of one man's love for his friend who died: "Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of a women"
One wonders what point the bereaved man was trying to make when he intentionally sought to distinguish the love he felt from for his friend from that usually shared between friends. He compared it to something deeper that is typically experienced between a man and a woman.
How should same gender loving Christians understand this particular pericope?

Ohhhhhhh. I thought we were talking about homosexuality. I didn't realize you had completely changed the subject without telling anyone.

How did I change the subject?
cinque
Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

How many times must one acknowledge the homosexual acts depicted in Scripture are sinful?
Canada2017
cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

How many times must one acknowledge the homosexual acts depicted in Scripture are sinful?

cinque
Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

My bad. You're poorly catechized and out of your depth.
Canada2017
cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

My bad. You're poorly catechized and out of your depth.

chuckle

You are merely a mediocrity continually searching for relevance....on internet fan sites .

Now go....and sin no more .
YoakDaddy
cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

Did you acknowledge that homosexual acts are sinful? If so, I missed it.
cinque
YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I'm The

For clarity, the note does not say anything about recognizinganyone. It says that the Board was advised on how to provide a loving environment to people who probably need it the most.

I agree. Shame on them

The question should be how many times have I made that acknowledgement.
YoakDaddy
cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I'm The

For clarity, the note does not say anything about recognizinganyone. It says that the Board was advised on how to provide a loving environment to people who probably need it the most.

I agree. Shame on them

Have never seen it. Could you please repost it or post link to it?
Thee University
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Baylor was a great place for a young man to go to school in the early 80s. There were 3 women to every two dudes and 80 percent of the dudes were gay. (Not that there was anything wrong with that.) Looking back I would not have changed a thing, except for maybe being a little bit better football player. Had I had just a little more size, strength, and speed, and athletic ability, I could have had an 18 year NFL career. AckAckAckAckAckAck!!!!!!
You should have been there in the late 70's!

Don't kid yourself......................you could have had a 23 year NFL career.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Waco1947
YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

1. if the act is outside of marriage sin
2. If inside marriage No
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

2. If inside marriage No
Do you think God views same sex marriages the same as He describes marriage in the Bible? If so, why?
cinque
YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I'm The

I agree. Shame on them

Have never seen it. Could you please repost it or post link to it?
No.
cinque
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

2. If inside marriage No
Do you think God views same sex marriages the same as He describes marriage in the Bible? If so, why?
There are multiple kinds of marriages described in the Bible. Which one?
YoakDaddy
cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

2. If inside marriage No
There are multiple kinds of marriages described in the Bible. Which one?

Please call out God ordained the same sex marriage by chapter and verse. Thanks.
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I agree. Shame on them

2. If inside marriage No

Please call out God ordained the same sex marriage by chapter and verse. Thanks.
cinque
Okay, here we go:

[ol]
  • The standard nuclear family: Genesis 2:24 describes how a man leaves his family of origin, joins with a woman, consummates the marriage and lives as a couple. There were quite a few differences between the customs and laws of contemporary North Americans and of ancient Israelites. In ancient Israel:
    • Inter-faith marriages were theoretically forbidden. However, they were sometimes formed.
    • Children of inter-faith marriages were considered illegitimate.
    • Marriages were generally arranged by family or friends; they did not result from a gradually evolving, loving relationship that developed during a period of courtship.
    • A bride who had been presented as a virgin and who could not be proven to be one was stoned to death by the men of her village. (Deuteronomy 22:13-21) There appears to have been no similar penalty for men who engaged in consensual pre-marital sexual activity.
  • Polygamous marriage: A man would leave his family of origin and join with his first wife. Then, as finances allowed, he would marry as many additional women as he desired. The new wives would join the man and his other wives in an already established household. Polygamy was practiced by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormons, until the practice was suspended, a least temporarily, in the late nineteenth century. It is still practiced by separated fundamentalist Mormon groups which have left and been excommunicated from the main church.

There are many references to polygamous marriages in the Bible:
    • Lamech, in Genesis 4:19, became the first known polygynist. He had two wives.
    • Subsequent men in polygamous relationships included:
      • Esau with 3 wives;
      • Jacob: 2;
      • Ashur: 2;
      • Gideon: many;
      • Elkanah: 2;
      • David: many;
      • Solomon had 700 wives of royal birth;
      • Rehaboam: 3;
      • Abijah: 14.
      • Jehoram, Joash, Ahab, Jeholachin and Belshazzar also had multiple wives.
    • From the historical record, it is known that Herod the Great had nine wives.
    We have been unable to find references to polyandrous marriages in the Bible -- unions involving one woman and more than one man. It is unlikely that many existed because of the distinctly inferior status given to women; they were often treated as property in the Hebrew Scriptures.
  • Levirate Marriage: The name of this type of marriage is derived from the Latin word "levir," which means "brother-in-law." This involved a woman who was widowed without having borne a son. She would be required to leave her home, marry her brother-in-law, live with him, and engage in sexual relations. If there were feelings of attraction and love between the woman and her new husband, this arrangement could be quite agreeable to both. Otherwise, the woman would have to endure what was essentially serial rapes with her former brother-in-law as perpetrator. Their first-born son was considered to be sired by the deceased husband. In Genesis 38:6-10, Tamar's husband Er was killed by God for unspecified sinful behavior. Er's brother, Onan, was then required by custom to marry Tamar. Not wanting to have a child who would not be considered his, he engaged in an elementary (and quite unreliable) method of birth control: coitus interruptus. God appears to have given a very high priority to the levirate marriage obligation. Being very displeased with Onan's behavior, God killed him as well. Ruth 4 reveals that a man would be required to enter into a levirate marriage not only with his late brother's widow, but with a widow to whom he was the closest living relative.
  • A man, a woman and her property -- a female slave: As described in Genesis 16, Sarah and Abram were infertile. Sarah owned Hagar, a female slave who apparently had been purchased earlier in Egypt. Because Hagar was Sarah's property, she could dispose of her as she wished. Sarah gave Hagar to Abram as a type of wife, so that Abram would have an heir. Presumably, the arrangement to marry and engage in sexual activity was done without the consent of Hagar, who had such a low status in the society of the day that she was required to submit to what she probably felt were serial rapes by Abram. Hagar conceived and bore a son, Ishmael. This type of marriage had some points of similarity to polygamous marriage, as described above. However, Hagar's status as a human slave in a plural marriage with two free individuals makes it sufficiently different to warrant separate treatment here.
  • A man, one or more wives, and some concubines: A man could keep numerous concubines, in addition to one or more wives. These women held an even lower status than a wife. As implied in Genesis 21:10, a concubine could be dismissed when no longer wanted. According to Smith's Bible Dictionary, "A concubine would generally be either (1) a Hebrew girl bought...[from] her father; (2) a Gentile captive taken in war; (3) a foreign slave bought; or (4) a Canaanitish woman, bond or free." They would probably be brought into an already-established household. Abraham had two concubines; Gideon: at least 1; Nahor: 1; Jacob: 1; Eliphaz: 1; Gideon: 1; Caleb: 2; Manassah: 1; Saul: 1; David: at least 10; Rehoboam: 60; Solomon: 300!; an unidentified Levite: 1; Belshazzar: more than 1.
  • A male soldier and a female prisoner of war: Numbers 31:1-18 describes how the army of the ancient Israelites killed every adult Midianite male in battle. Moses then ordered the slaughter in cold blood of most of the captives, including all of the male children who numbered about 32,000. Only the lives of 32,000 women - all virgins -- were spared. Some of the latter were given to the priests as slaves. Most were taken by the Israeli soldiers as captives of war. Deuteronomy 21:11-14 describes how each captive woman would shave her head, pare her nails, be left alone to mourn the loss of her families, friends, and freedom. After a full month had passed, they would be required to submit to their owners sexually, as a wife. It is conceivable that in a few cases, a love bond might have formed between the soldier and his captive(s). However, in most cases we can assume that the woman had to submit sexually against her will; that is, she was raped.
  • A male rapist and his victim: Deuteronomy 22:28-29 requires that a female virgin who is not engaged to be married and who has been raped must marry her attacker, no matter what her feelings were towards the rapist. A man could become married by simply sexually attacking a woman that appealed to him, and paying his father-in-law 50 shekels of silver. There is one disadvantage of this approach: he was not allowed to subsequently divorce her.
  • A male and female slave: Exodus 21:4 indicates that a slave owner could assign one of his female slaves to one of his male slaves as a wife. There is no indication that women were consulted during this type of transaction. The arrangement would probably involve rape in most cases. In the times of the Hebrew Scriptures, Israelite women who were sold into slavery by their fathers were slaves forever. Men, and women who became slaves by another route, were limited to serving as slaves for seven years. When a male slave left his owner, the marriage would normally be terminated; his wife would stay behind, with any children that she had. He could elect to stay a slave if he wished.
  • [/ol]
    YoakDaddy
    cinque said:

Okay, here we go:

[ol]
  • The standard nuclear family: Genesis 2:24 describes how a man leaves his family of origin, joins with a woman, consummates the marriage and lives as a couple. There were quite a few differences between the customs and laws of contemporary North Americans and of ancient Israelites. In ancient Israel:
    • Inter-faith marriages were theoretically forbidden. However, they were sometimes formed.
    • Marriages were generally arranged by family or friends; they did not result from a gradually evolving, loving relationship that developed during a period of courtship.
    • A bride who had been presented as a virgin and who could not be proven to be one was stoned to death by the men of her village. (Deuteronomy 22:13-21) There appears to have been no similar penalty for men who engaged in consensual pre-marital sexual activity.
  • Polygamous marriage: A man would leave his family of origin and join with his first wife. Then, as finances allowed, he would marry as many additional women as he desired. The new wives would join the man and his other wives in an already established household. Polygamy was practiced by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormons, until the practice was suspended, a least temporarily, in the late nineteenth century. It is still practiced by separated fundamentalist Mormon groups which have left and been excommunicated from the main church.

• Esau with 3 wives;
    We have been unable to find references to polyandrous marriages in the Bible -- unions involving one woman and more than one man. It is unlikely that many existed because of the distinctly inferior status given to women; they were often treated as property in the Hebrew Scriptures.
  • Levirate Marriage: The name of this type of marriage is derived from the Latin word "levir," which means "brother-in-law." This involved a woman who was widowed without having borne a son. She would be required to leave her home, marry her brother-in-law, live with him, and engage in sexual relations. If there were feelings of attraction and love between the woman and her new husband, this arrangement could be quite agreeable to both. Otherwise, the woman would have to endure what was essentially serial rapes with her former brother-in-law as perpetrator. Their first-born son was considered to be sired by the deceased husband. In Genesis 38:6-10, Tamar's husband Er was killed by God for unspecified sinful behavior. Er's brother, Onan, was then required by custom to marry Tamar. Not wanting to have a child who would not be considered his, he engaged in an elementary (and quite unreliable) method of birth control: coitus interruptus. God appears to have given a very high priority to the levirate marriage obligation. Being very displeased with Onan's behavior, God killed him as well. Ruth 4 reveals that a man would be required to enter into a levirate marriage not only with his late brother's widow, but with a widow to whom he was the closest living relative.
  • A man, a woman and her property -- a female slave: As described in Genesis 16, Sarah and Abram were infertile. Sarah owned Hagar, a female slave who apparently had been purchased earlier in Egypt. Because Hagar was Sarah's property, she could dispose of her as she wished. Sarah gave Hagar to Abram as a type of wife, so that Abram would have an heir. Presumably, the arrangement to marry and engage in sexual activity was done without the consent of Hagar, who had such a low status in the society of the day that she was required to submit to what she probably felt were serial rapes by Abram. Hagar conceived and bore a son, Ishmael. This type of marriage had some points of similarity to polygamous marriage, as described above. However, Hagar's status as a human slave in a plural marriage with two free individuals makes it sufficiently different to warrant separate treatment here.
  • A man, one or more wives, and some concubines: A man could keep numerous concubines, in addition to one or more wives. These women held an even lower status than a wife. As implied in Genesis 21:10, a concubine could be dismissed when no longer wanted. According to Smith's Bible Dictionary, "A concubine would generally be either (1) a Hebrew girl bought...[from] her father; (2) a Gentile captive taken in war; (3) a foreign slave bought; or (4) a Canaanitish woman, bond or free." They would probably be brought into an already-established household. Abraham had two concubines; Gideon: at least 1; Nahor: 1; Jacob: 1; Eliphaz: 1; Gideon: 1; Caleb: 2; Manassah: 1; Saul: 1; David: at least 10; Rehoboam: 60; Solomon: 300!; an unidentified Levite: 1; Belshazzar: more than 1.
  • A male soldier and a female prisoner of war: Numbers 31:1-18 describes how the army of the ancient Israelites killed every adult Midianite male in battle. Moses then ordered the slaughter in cold blood of most of the captives, including all of the male children who numbered about 32,000. Only the lives of 32,000 women - all virgins -- were spared. Some of the latter were given to the priests as slaves. Most were taken by the Israeli soldiers as captives of war. Deuteronomy 21:11-14 describes how each captive woman would shave her head, pare her nails, be left alone to mourn the loss of her families, friends, and freedom. After a full month had passed, they would be required to submit to their owners sexually, as a wife. It is conceivable that in a few cases, a love bond might have formed between the soldier and his captive(s). However, in most cases we can assume that the woman had to submit sexually against her will; that is, she was raped.
  • A male rapist and his victim: Deuteronomy 22:28-29 requires that a female virgin who is not engaged to be married and who has been raped must marry her attacker, no matter what her feelings were towards the rapist. A man could become married by simply sexually attacking a woman that appealed to him, and paying his father-in-law 50 shekels of silver. There is one disadvantage of this approach: he was not allowed to subsequently divorce her.
  • A male and female slave: Exodus 21:4 indicates that a slave owner could assign one of his female slaves to one of his male slaves as a wife. There is no indication that women were consulted during this type of transaction. The arrangement would probably involve rape in most cases. In the times of the Hebrew Scriptures, Israelite women who were sold into slavery by their fathers were slaves forever. Men, and women who became slaves by another route, were limited to serving as slaves for seven years. When a male slave left his owner, the marriage would normally be terminated; his wife would stay behind, with any children that she had. He could elect to stay a slave if he wished.
  • [/ol]

And NONE of those are same sex. Got it. Thanks.
    cinque
    YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

The Okay, here we go:

[ol]

• Esau with 3 wives;
  • [/ol]

And NONE of those are same sex. Got it. Thanks.
    So?
    bearassnekkid
    quash said:

bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

Struggling against their god-given nature.
    Struggling against their sin nature. Like the rest of us.
    bearassnekkid
    cinque said:

bearassnekkid said:

cinque said:

The only difference in their "struggle" and yours is they must fight against something certain kinds of Christians feel duty bound to weigh in on in a very public way. Nobody gets to tell you how proud they are of you for not being self righteous.
    Nah, their struggle is unique in that it involves denying themselves romantic relationship . . . which often results in loneliness. It's a difficult one. There's nothing wrong with me holding my friends in high esteem who are able to walk that out.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.