Is a recession coming?

10,660 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Doc Holliday
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

J.R. said:

Yes, we will go into recession...we always do. They yield curve is close to inverting which most definitely signals a recession. These Tariffs are killing the economy. Trumps seriously blinked yesterday by not following through with "his tariff escalation". Trumps is looking at the stock market and the economy and he's figuring out he done screwed up. Economy goes in the tank, Trumps is done.
Tariffs aren't killing anything. They've had minimal effect outside of construction and maybe a couple of other industries.

I'm all up in construction and tariffs haven't had any effect! If anything construction has become increasingly stronger since tariffs

Government numbers are fake!
J.R.
DubDub said:

J.R. said:

PartyBear said:

J.R. said:

Yes, we will go into recession...we always do. They yield curve is close to inverting which most definitely signals a recession. These Tariffs are killing the economy. Trumps seriously blinked yesterday by not following through with "his tariff escalation". Trumps is looking at the stock market and the economy and he's figuring out he done screwed up. Economy goes in the tank, Trumps is done.

Trump did cave yesterday. However China did not respond in kind with their own "nevermind forget what we said last week". To my knowledge they have not said ok we will be your biggest ag customer again. Trump started a trade war then backed off but the attacked country says fine call it off on your end we will still wage the war against you that you started.
Trumps is in absolute panic mode. He took some ridiculous shots at the "independent FED" today via Twatter. He doesn't seem to understand that he is partly responsible for this because of his Tariff War. The business community is in the process of turning on him and his lack of economic knowledge. Farmers are getting crushed. Anyone need any Soybeans? Just ask Cisco how it working for them. Sales in China down 25% per their earnings call today. Furthermore, since Trumps blinked yesterday, why in the hell would Ghina want to give Trumps anything? Nah, they will just wait him out till 2020.

I hope that you are young. Just finished your mba, and just using big words you've recently learned, but have no real world knowledge about.

Otherwise, you're just a blow hard idiot that has no f'ing clue what you're talking about.
Well, sir, since you seem to be new around. While I do have an MBA, that was 25 years ago. Please provide some color relative to "you don't know what you are ****ing talking about (potty mouth makes you sound dumb....didn't your momma tell you that? Please tell me what is not true of my analysis....Oh, and by the way "big words" are called a vocabulary. Please provide us with your qualifications back up your baseless bs. Thank you.
No Longer Gold
J...(potty mouth makes you sound dumb....didn't your momma tell you that?

....Please provide us with your qualifications back up your baseless bs...... [/quote said:

You can't even keep up with your own insults without using them against yourself...

Baylor BBA, in finance. SMU MBA, in same, studied for my CIMA at Wharton.

Started, and currently the managing director of a financial planning firm that now manages 1.4 Billion in assets.

Im not trying to earn a spot at your economic recession discussion table.

I'll just walk by and eat your steak if I so wish.
riflebear
MoneyBear said:

Bond yields are not as connected to the market as they were 20 or even 10 years ago. The Fed has quadrupled the size of its balance sheet due to quantitative easing and is now fiddling directly with rates in an effort to control a fire they started in an attempt to correct a market crash.

We currently have roughly 1.6 Trillion in excess reserves in banks which translates to a corresponding balance of treasuries on the Fed's balance sheet. They had previously been allowing that debt to VERY slowly mature but announced on 7/31 that they would stop in September. Furthermore, they have deviated from their original mandates (steady employment, inflation, and dollar) via monetary policy and have started paying banks for reserves and adjusting rates based on anticipated market volatility. Just go look at Powell's comments from 2 weeks ago. This rate cut was based on what might happen later this year and central bank action abroad, not in response to any economic issues here in the US.

The Fed was never intended to hold as many of the broader economic cards as they currently do and the reaction of the market indices shows that investors are far too focused on the Fed as well.

An inverted yield curve has historically indicated a looming recession. I'd argue that we are in a unique scenario where market forces have less to do with this inversion than the Fed itself as the largest holder of treasuries and the ones who are constantly tinkering with the rates. A recession will inevitably come but it won't be because of or even indicated by this inversion...it isn't based on fundamentals in the first place.
I keep hearing Europe is in serious trouble and people are nervous the Fed will follow Europe's lead which has usually been a disaster. They are pushing negative interest rates over there and although the U.S. is strong in many areas this could have a big impact on us in the short/long term since everything is connected in this global economy.

I still think there will be a collective effort to hurt our economy through outside forces prior to the 2020 election because we all know the world hates conservative values and their policies. Multiply that times 1000 and we all know how much they hate Trump. I'm tempted to move half my investments into money mkt acts paying 3%+ and wait out the 2020 election. If it doesn't tank then no harm done, if it does then I can jump back in and buy low unless some radical Dem wins then who knows what will happen. Of course trying to time the market is ridiculous but I don't trust these people after what they tried to pull in 2015 & 2016 and beyond, they will stop at nothing to take back power. Many Dems are on record hoping the economy tanks so they can win, imagine how ridiculous that sounds. They would rather see the lower to mid class suffer than Trump win again, shameful.
Doc Holliday
Dow rises 230 points Monday as Treasury yields rebounded, quelling fears of a possible recession.
riflebear
J.R.
DubDub said:

J...(potty mouth makes you sound dumb....didn't your momma tell you that?

....Please provide us with your qualifications back up your baseless bs...... [/quote said:

You can't even keep up with your own insults without using them against yourself...

Baylor BBA, in finance. SMU MBA, in same, studied for my CIMA at Wharton.

Started, and currently the managing director of a financial planning firm that now manages 1.4 Billion in assets.

Im not trying to earn a spot at your economic recession discussion table.

I'll just walk by and eat your steak if I so wish.

Also SMU MBA. So, you rail on my points but won't refute. You must really be important.
Florda_mike
Huh?
riflebear
Media tried to paint a narrative the past week that a recession was coming based on that one day.
Russia - Racism - Recession. 0 for 3 so far - sorry Libs. Keep praying for America to fail, that's a winning formula.

Florda_mike
riflebear said:

Media tried to paint a narrative the past week that a recession was coming based on that one day.
Russia - Racism - Recession. 0 for 3 so far - sorry Libs. Keep praying for America to fail, that's a winning formula.

Riflebear gets it and so does Charles Payne

Suck it Libtards everywhere! You're the enemy of our great country!
Doc Holliday
Doc Holliday
Kid_Cubby
Sam Lowry said:

J.R. said:

Tariffs aren't killing anything. They've had minimal effect outside of construction and maybe a couple of other industries.

As someone who works in manufacturing, tariffs are having a huge impact. Supply chains don't adjust overnight and when they do they shift to Mexico not to USA.

Disclaimer: I work in a specific corner of the manufacturing world and most of my anecdotal data comes from the automotive side
J.R.
Florda_mike said:

Huh?
Now Mikey, you have shown yourself to be ignorant and just a jackass. So, just STFU.
No Longer Gold
J.R. said:

Florda_mike said:

Huh?
Now Mikey, you have shown yourself to be ignorant and just a jackass. So, just STFU.

He said, "Huh?", because your response made no sense do to the fact that I did exactly what you asked me to do, said that I didn't, and made it look like I posted your response.

I thought the same thing when I read it.

Bottom line...You're just a dummy.
Florda_mike
DubDub said:

J.R. said:

Florda_mike said:

Huh?

He said, "Huh?", because your response made no sense do to the fact that I did exactly what you asked me to do, said that I didn't, and made it look like I posted it.

^^^ YEP you get it but it just went right over JRs head

LMAO
J.R.
DubDub said:

J.R. said:

Florda_mike said:

Huh?

He said, "Huh?", because your response made no sense do to the fact that I did exactly what you asked me to do, said that I didn't, and made it look like I posted your response.

I thought the same thing when I read it.

Welcome clown.
No Longer Gold
Florda_mike said:

DubDub said:

J.R. said:

Florda_mike said:

Huh?

He said, "Huh?", because your response made no sense do to the fact that I did exactly what you asked me to do, said that I didn't, and made it look like I posted it.

LMAO

I'd guess most of his life goes over his head.

I wish him the best of luck. There is still time.
J.R.
DubDub said:

Florda_mike said:

DubDub said:

J.R. said:

Florda_mike said:

Huh?

LMAO

I'd guess most of his life goes over his head.

I wish him the best of luck. There is still time.
Thanks, DumDum
robby44
I'm not sure if I've met Mr J.R. (I think we may have been in school at the same time?)
But what I do know from reading his posts is that he lives in Highland Park and is a successful businessman. That means he's a high achiever and has baller shot caller status. Mike you're insulting a guy who is living in the same neighborhood as Troy Aikman and other millionaires. Man lives in HP I'd bet money he knows what he talking about
J.R.
robby44 said:

I'm not sure if I've met Mr J.R. (I think we may have been in school at the same time?)
But what I do know from reading his posts is that he lives in Highland Park and is a successful businessman. That means he's a high achiever and has baller shot caller status. Mike you're insulting a guy who is living in the same neighborhood as Troy Aikman and other millionaires. Man lives in HP I'd bet money he knows what he talking about
Yes, we were in school at he same time and we have met at a couple of games, post. I just do not understand all the hate up in here by the Mikey's , Golems, Old 83 ect. Can we not have a meaningful, respectful conversation. This has gotten out of hand. Good to hear from you RW.
Prairie_Bear
J.R. said:

robby44 said:

Yes, we were in school at he same time and we have met at a couple of games, post. I just do not understand all the hate up in here by the Mikey's , Golems, Old 83 ect. Can we not have a meaningful, respectful conversation. This has gotten out of hand. Good to hear from you RW.
The anonymity and protection of message boards gives weak men an opportunity to act tough and say/speak to people in ways they never would in real life. Just goes with the territory and a reason we should be engaging more in real life and less on social media.
Florda_mike
Prairie_Bear said:

J.R. said:

robby44 said:

The anonymity and protection of message boards gives weak men an opportunity to act tough and say/speak to people in ways they never would in real life. Just goes with the territory and a reason we should be engaging more in real life and less on social media.

There's a lot to this post and especially last sentence
Oldbear83
J.R. said:

Florda_mike said:

Huh?
Folks, remember this post from J.R. the next time he claims someone else is violating the site's T.O.S.
Oldbear83
J.R. said:

robby44 said:

Considering your post telling Golem to, and I quote, "STFU", you have a real 'log in the eye' prblem when talking about tone and courtesy, J.R.

You accuse me of "Hate". I deny it as a false charge. Yes, I tweak noses (as do many here) when their pride and arrogance becomes wearisome, but never in malice, as some here do. And I note that your complaint about "hate" includes none on the Left, even though some of the worst are on the Left.

Be the man you want others to be, and I will return the favor. Be a self-serving jerk, and you reap what you sow.

Florda_mike
Oldbear83 said:

J.R. said:

Florda_mike said:

Huh?
Folks, remember this post from J.R. the next time he claims someone else is violating the site's T.O.S.

We're in JRs head?

I just don't see much in JRs thinking that tells me he's made it on his own

I'm thinking he was given his initial monies to get started
Forest Bueller
Prairie_Bear said:

J.R. said:

robby44 said:

Good message, and agree 100%
Doc Holliday
Consumer Confidence Index Beats Expectations Assessment Index Highest in 19 Years.

riflebear
Sorry guys - going to have to hold off on your recessions dreams for a little longer. If Europe wasn't holding back the Intl community and China did what they originally committed to we would be close to 30k right now.

Florda_mike
So there's no recession?

Was it FAKE NEWS again?
Doc Holliday
riflebear said:

Sorry guys - going to have to hold off on your recessions dreams for a little longer. If Europe wasn't holding back the Intl community and China did what they originally committed to we would be close to 30k right now.

They were so certain.

Obviously they wanted a recession.
HuMcK

Doc Holliday
Humck wants a recession to get rid of President Trump.
HuMcK
Doc Holliday said:

The Right is getting really bad about projecting their faults onto the opposition these days. That's how y'all go from calling any good economic numbers under Obama fake news, to accusing people of wanting the country to fail just for pointing out that the economic numbers aren't quite as rosy as GOP propaganda says things are. Maybe you are aware that 2018's jobs numbers got revised down by an unprecedented 500K jobs recently, I'm starting to think those "fake news" accusations at positive economic jobs numbers was just Republican projection as well.
Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

Doc Holliday said:

The Right is getting really bad about projecting their faults onto the opposition these days. That's how y'all go from calling any good economic numbers under Obama fake news, to accusing people of wanting the country to fail just for pointing out that the economic numbers aren't quite as rosy as GOP propaganda says things are. Maybe you are aware that 2018's jobs numbers got revised down by an unprecedented 500K jobs recently, I'm starting to think those "fake news" accusations at positive economic jobs numbers was just Republican projection as well.
You are a headline subscriber.
You don't know **** about macroeconomics.

Miss on jobs number (which is still impressive) but the wage growth is there. The inflation is not moving up.

At first it was "trump is going to destroy the economy". The economy did great and you wanted to give obama credit. Now you falsely believe it's going in the ****ter and you want to blame Trump.

You are beside yourself all because you have a deep desire for a MASSIVE government to control all aspects of our lives and punish those you politically disagree with.

You should be ashamed of yourself. The amount of hypocrisy you spew is astounding.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.