18 months until conservatives care about deficits

1,429 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Osodecentx
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/21/us/politics/deficit-will-reach-1-trillion-next-year-budget-office-predicts.html

And Christian values in our leaders.
BaylorOkie
I wish everyone would care about spending.
ValhallaBear
4000 years until liberals care about deficits
PartyBear
Tommie they have been marginalizing themselves by acquiescing to Trump to the point they now have no credibility at all with the American people post Trump.
curtpenn
The simple truth of the matter is that we have a spending problem - quelle surprise?! Federal revenues grow each year, suggesting that lack of taxation is not an issue regardless of how the media seldom points this out. Probably next to impossible to get elected by promising constituents to do less for them, but that's exactly what's needed.
Mitch Blood Green
curtpenn said:

The simple truth of the matter is that we have a spending problem - quelle surprise?! Federal revenues grow each year, suggesting that lack of taxation is not an issue regardless of how the media seldom points this out. Probably next to impossible to get elected by promising constituents to do less for them, but that's exactly what's needed.

Even if I agreed with you, I don't see this argument unless Democrats are in power.

In 2011, the tea party was willing to default of the debt ceiling to curb spending. In 2019? Crickets.

https://www.mediamatters.org/rush-limbaugh/after-bashing-obama-deficits-years-rush-limbaugh-now-says-budget-deficits-never
Guy Noir
Good comments. Keep on talking about it. Spending is one of the critical problems our country faces.

The failure of congress to create a balanced budget for the last few years is a big mistake. That is one reason why I support term limits.
EatMoreSalmon
You are correct in that all Republicans are not fiscal conservatives. Many use that as a platform (not all) and then vote like they don't really mean it - which they don't.

Pols gonna pol. Sickening.
curtpenn
tommie said:

curtpenn said:

Even if I agreed with you, I don't see this argument unless Democrats are in power.

In 2011, the tea party was willing to default of the debt ceiling to curb spending. In 2019? Crickets.

https://www.mediamatters.org/rush-limbaugh/after-bashing-obama-deficits-years-rush-limbaugh-now-says-budget-deficits-never
My sympathies were very much with the Tea Party in the past. I will always favor any and all tax cuts and oppose any and all tax increases as the only means whereby we can hope to constrain government spending on all levels. However, I believe the near term existential threat posed by the left is far greater than that posed by deficits. Consequently, I don't see much point in talking about deficits if that somehow helps the Dems gain more power. Bad situation either way.
Mitch Blood Green
curtpenn said:

tommie said:

curtpenn said:

My sympathies were very much with the Tea Party in the past. I will always favor any and all tax cuts and oppose any and all tax increases as the only means whereby we can hope to constrain government spending on all levels. However, I believe the near term existential threat posed by the left is far greater than that posed by deficits. Consequently, I don't see much point in talking about deficits if that somehow helps the Dems gain more power. Bad situation either way.

Why aren't tea party tactics in use today?
robby44
Budget agency predicts trillion-dollar deficits for years to come, as red ink explodes

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/govt-agency-predicts-trillion-dollar-deficits-for-the-foreseeable-future

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released a grim update Wednesday to its economic outlook for the next decade, predicting average national deficits of $1.2 trillion every year through 2029, due in large part to recent budget and border security bills

The CBO report noted that, as one of many repercussions from free-spending policies, federal debt held by the public is projected to reach heights not seen since the 1940s, almost equaling the nation's Gross Domestic Product

"As a result of those deficits, federal debt held by the public is projected to grow steadily, from 79 percent of GDP in 2019 to 95 percent in 2029its highest level since just after World War II," the report says. The GDP itself is also expected to see a slowdown in growth in the coming years.

The CBO report underscores how deficits are rising once again, as Democrats and Republicans in Congress -- and the Trump administration -- show little interest in tackling the red ink.

The CBO's projections have changed drastically since a previous estimate just three months ago. In May, the estimated 2019 deficit was $63 billion less than what CBO now projects. Now, the cumulative deficit for 2020 through 2029 is projected to be $809 billion greater than the May estimate.

The CBO claims that the new figures are the result of recent legislation, particularly the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2019 -- which included higher discretionary funding limits for 2020 and 2021 and new appropriations for disaster relief and border security.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., was a vocal opponent of the budget bill, citing the effect it would have on the nation's fiscal health.

He excoriated his colleagues for supporting a deal he claimed "marks the death of the Tea Party movement in America." Paul said "both parties have deserted" the U.S. and "show no care and no understanding and no sympathy for the burden of debt they are leaving the taxpayers, the young, the next generation and the future of our country."

Paul proposed an amendment to the bill, which would have imposed spending caps, but it failed after a 70-23 vote.

Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., however, claimed it was the best deal possible.

"I want to know what better deal anybody could have crafted that got Nancy Pelosi's sign-off in the House and Mitch McConnell's sign-off in the Senate, along with McCarthy and Schumer," Wicker said.

Doc Holliday
PartyBear said:

Tommie they have been marginalizing themselves by acquiescing to Trump to the point they now have no credibility at all with the American people post Trump.
You have no credibility because you still blame one side.

Why is it so hard for you people to be disgusted with D.C. in it's entirety?
fadskier
tommie said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/21/us/politics/deficit-will-reach-1-trillion-next-year-budget-office-predicts.html

I care about deficits. I care less about Christian values in our leaders and more about being a constitutional leader. What do you look for in a leader?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
curtpenn
tommie said:

curtpenn said:

tommie said:

curtpenn said:

Why aren't tea party tactics in use today?
Too small a constituency for effective pandering?
Iron Claw
tommie said:

Hey, as long as the deficit stays below xx% of GDP, who cares???

We don't have a revenue problem. We have a spending to keep a politician's job problem.
JXL
And 18 months until the Left stops caring about deficits.
PartyBear
Where are all these posts from non right wingers attacking anyone about the deficit? You know damn well that is all we hear about the entire term (literally starting before the inauguration ceremony is over) of a Democrat even when thus far since baylor fan boards existed Democratic Presidents have been far more fiscally responsible than the Republican Presidents.
william
neither side has 'crean hands' in this monetary fisaco........

been majorities in both houses and both parties have occupied the WH since Scumbag actually accomplished something.

- BUmma

lennybrucewasnotafraidnopenosirreebobtail.....
cinque
PartyBear said:

Where are all these posts from non right wingers attacking anyone about the deficit? You know damn well that is all we hear about the entire term (literally starting before the inauguration ceremony is over) of a Democrat even when thus far since baylor fan boards existed Democratic Presidents have been far more fiscally responsible than the Republican Presidents.
This is true:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/01/15/obamas-federal-debt-grew-at-a-slower-rate-than-reagan-h-w-bush-or-w-bush/#303e2b0c1917
Osodecentx
PartyBear said:

Some of us have been critical of the deficits under Obama and Trump. It is a bipartisan failure of both parties
Osodecentx
tommie said:

What Christian values? Pro-Life? Sexual purity? Marital fidelity?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.