CBO report estimates US budget deficit will be more than $1 trillion by 2020

1,827 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waco1947
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wait! What? But dt said
Canada2017
Which politician would US voters put in the White House with a platform of raising taxes and cutting services in order to reduce the deficit ?
riflebear
25% of that (and rising) is on illegal/undocumented immigrants alone. Imagine if Congress would have come together and acted to resolve this 3 or 10 or 20 years ago? Granted they would have found somewhere else to waste all that money, but Libs just want to keep handing out more free stuff.

Bernie is proposing a $15 TRILLION plan this week - I wonder what our deficit would be if that happened?
Waco1947
riflebear said:

25% of that (and rising) is on illegal/undocumented immigrants alone. Imagine if Congress would have come together and acted to resolve
this 3 or 10 or 20 years ago? Granted they would have found somewhere else to waste all that money, but Libs just want to keep handing out more free stuff.

Bernie is proposing a $15 TRILLION plan this week - I wonder what our deficit would be if that happened?
Thanks for the non-response. Your president said the tax cut would pay for itself. Another Lie
codyorr
riflebear said:

25% of that (and rising) is on illegal/undocumented immigrants alone. Imagine if Congress would have come together and acted to resolve this 3 or 10 or 20 years ago? Granted they would have found somewhere else to waste all that money, but Libs just want to keep handing out more free stuff.

Can you provide a source that 25% of our budget deficit is going towards illegal and undocumented immigrants?

Per CBO: FY 2019 projected deficit is $960 Billion

So 25% is about 250 Billion. Preferably a non-partisan source?
riflebear
codyorr said:

riflebear said:

Can you provide a source that 25% of our budget deficit is going towards illegal and undocumented immigrants?

The most recent figures were around $200B prior to 2019 and the mass crisis influx of illegals this year and the facilities being built and judges being hired to handle everything is raising that # significantly. Not to mention the rising healthcare costs to treat them. Maybe 22-24% would be closer to the correct #.

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/439930-your-taxpayer-dollars-are-footing-the-spiraling-costs-of-illegal-immigration
codyorr
riflebear said:

codyorr said:

riflebear said:

The most recent figures were around $200B prior to 2019 and the mass crisis influx of illegals this year and the facilities being built and judges being hired to handle everything is raising that # significantly. Not to mention the rising healthcare costs to treat them. Maybe 22-24% would be closer to the correct #.

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/439930-your-taxpayer-dollars-are-footing-the-spiraling-costs-of-illegal-immigration

I saw that. But it's an editorial, so I don't consider it reliable on it's own. The only clear number I saw was $116 Billion from a report by FAIR, which is not non-partisan or known for being unbiased. And even if it were correct, the cost is for 2017, so I doubt it has almost doubled in 2 years.
riflebear
codyorr said:

riflebear said:

codyorr said:

riflebear said:

I saw that. But it's an editorial, so I don't consider it reliable on it's own. The only clear number I saw was $116 Billion from a report by FAIR, which is not non-partisan or known for being unbiased. And even if it were correct, the cost is for 2017, so I doubt it has almost doubled in 2 years.
What did she site that was incorrect? Seems she sourced everything. I don't have the time to cross check and we all know #'s can be fudged both directions but bottom line is the # is insane and never should have gone this high. Both parties are to blame but we all know it's now the Dems who demonize any idea that GOP comes up w/ and they will never come to a deal w/ Trump before 2020. That's their future voting block if they are ever to regain power. They can't mess w/ it.

codyorr
riflebear said:

codyorr said:

riflebear said:

codyorr said:

riflebear said:

What did she site that was incorrect? Seems she sourced everything. I don't have the time to cross check and we all know #'s can be fudged both directions but bottom line is the # is insane and never should have gone this high. Both parties are to blame but we all know it's now the Dems who demonize any idea that GOP comes up w/ and they will never come to a deal w/ Trump before 2020. That's their future voting block if they are ever to regain power. They can't mess w/ it.

The big thing she cited was the FAIR (not unbiased) estimate of $116 B for 2017. So even if you accept that number, I don't follow the math to $200B+.

But yes, even $116B would be worth investigating further.
Canada2017
No politician will ever do what's necessary to eliminate the deficit.

The voters would kick his ass out of office in a heartbeat .

So don't blame the politicians.
Golem
Budgets/Budget Deficits come from Congress. For those of you who missed civics class, they have what is known as "The power of the purse". Not signing their continuing resolutions/bloated budgets into law is the reason for government shut downs.

So, if DT signs budgets he loses. If DT doesn't sign budgets, he loses....in your own eyes of course.

Which of you leftists here will advocate slashing entitlement spending to finally reform our budgets to be within our means since the Dems blew them up?
nein51
The downfall of our way of life will eventually be finances. The populace has already figured out they can vote themselves the purse strings and to Canada's point there is no way a politician is getting voted in on a platform of:
Reduced military spending
Reduced government spending
Reduced entitlement spending

It's, literally, never going to happen. At some point we will fall under the weight of our crushing debt. I consider it an inevitability.
HuMcK
Remember how deficits shrank under Clinton (some credit to H W Bush) and Obama, but ballooned under Reagan/W Bush/Trump? Righties in this thread talking about how noone could ever cut spending and raise taxes enough to fix the budget...did y'all forget about the budget surplus at the end of Clinton's term? Remember when Obama offered Boehner $9 in spending cuts for every $1 in new tax increases and got rejected? Recent history shows GOP Presidents generally don't care about the deficit at all, but Democrats seem to care about it at least a little.
contrario
HuMcK said:

Remember how deficits shrank under Clinton (some credit to H W Bush) and Obama, but ballooned under Reagan/W Bush/Trump? Righties in this thread talking about how noone could ever cut spending and raise taxes enough to fix the budget...did y'all forget about the budget surplus at the end of Clinton's term? Remember when Obama offered Boehner $9 in spending cuts for every $1 in new tax increases and got rejected? Recent history shows GOP Presidents generally don't care about the deficit at all, but Democrats seem to care about it at least a little.
Budget deficit decreased 3 of Bush's last 4 years. Even with Obama's decreases in deficits, he was still nearly $200B higher than Bush's highest deficit when he left office. Some context is key.

Obama set the bar when it came to deficit spending, both in real dollars and as a % of GDP. The budgets under Trump have been a disaster and we have bipartisan spending bills to blame for the deficits. If we were a sane country and a sane electorate, we would hold the politicians we voted for accountable, but that won't happen.
fadskier
Waco1947 said:

riflebear said:

25% of that (and rising) is on illegal/undocumented immigrants alone. Imagine if Congress would have come together and acted to resolve
this 3 or 10 or 20 years ago? Granted they would have found somewhere else to waste all that money, but Libs just want to keep handing out more free stuff.

Thanks for the non-response. Your president said the tax cut would pay for itself. Another Lie
1. Prove that the tax cut hasn't paid for itself...the CBO reflects the overall deficit NOT the tax cuts
2. The Trump administration predicted that the deficit would reach $1 trillion and CBO is actually a slight bit under this
3.The growing deficit is NOT in relation to tax cuts but INCREASED SPENDING
4. YOUR preferred candidates for 2020 would INCREASE spending

So not only are you a hypocrite in regard to the lives of children, Biblical values, but also in government. Who knew?

Oh yeah, we all did.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

Yet you will turn around and vote for $200 trillion in proposed spending by Democrats and you don't care how many jobs they destroy with extreme regulations and taxes.

Why do you have so much faith in government?
BaylorOkie
nein51 said:

The downfall of our way of life will eventually be finances. The populace has already figured out they can vote themselves the purse strings and to Canada's point there is no way a politician is getting voted in on a platform of:

It's, literally, never going to happen. At some point we will fall under the weight of our crushing debt. I consider it an inevitability.
Couldn't agree more.
Waco1947
$1.2 trillion now
Waco1947
https://www.thebalance.com/trump-plans-to-reduce-national-debt-4114401
8.9T
Waco1947
fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

riflebear said:

1. Prove that the tax cut hasn't paid for itself...the CBO reflects the overall deficit NOT the tax cuts
2. The Trump administration predicted that the deficit would reach $1 trillion and CBO is actually a slight bit under this
3.The growing deficit is NOT in relation to tax cuts but INCREASED SPENDING
4. YOUR preferred candidates for 2020 would INCREASE spending

Oh yeah, we all did.

https://www.thebalance.com/trump-plans-to-reduce-national-debt-4114401
Osodecentx
BaylorOkie said:

nein51 said:

Couldn't agree more.
Me neither
Waco1947
Another broken promise. dt has no policy or plan for the debt of deficit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.