Have you been reading your bible everyday?

2,851 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
BaylorFTW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you have a set number of chapters you read? What is your objective in your daily reading? What is your daily religious routine? Do you pray each day? Listen to other Christian resources like apologetics, sermons and so on?

For my part, I try to read at least 2 chapters no matter what. I feel better when I can do it first thing in the morning. Beyond this, I will try to listen to something or read something pertaining to my faith for at least an hour. What this will be will vary depending on my interest on that day. I also pray every night before going to bed and try to pray before each meal but sometimes do forget. How about all of you?
CutTheTVoff
I've been reading Dennis Prager's "The Rational Bible" every morning. It has revolutionized my faith - one of the most fascinating books of any type I've ever read.

In midlife my faith has become less of a personal relationship with God and more of an intellectual pursuit of his intentions for me and humanity at large. I don't know if this is good or bad but it's where I am in my journey.
Canada2017
Mass once or twice a week, Bible Study once a week, and the Litany of Humility every evening.
cinque
Canada2017 said:

Mass once or twice a week, Bible Study once a week, and the Litany of Humility every evening.
Is that where you learn how to show Christian charity to Waco?
curtpenn
Can't speak for Canada, but there's plenty of Biblical support for resisting heresy and calling out false teachings.
Canada2017
cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

says the worst bigot I have known since high school
Coke Bear
I found a 365-day break chart of all 73 books. It essentially a way to read all the chapters of the Bible in chronological order. I did it for about 2.5 years. I fell off the wagon after Lent.

I have found an app from Ignatius Press that does the same thing. I'll start that again on January 1. I will hopefully begin again with NT or just the Gospels during Lent.

My spiritual sloth is shameful. Curse you, Netflix!
BaylorFTW
cinque said:

Canada2017 said:

Let's leave that sidebar stuff to another thread. No reason to pollute this one.
BaylorFTW
CutTheTVoff said:

I've been reading Dennis Prager's "The Rational Bible" every morning. It has revolutionized my faith - one of the most fascinating books of any type I've ever read.

In midlife my faith has become less of a personal relationship with God and more of an intellectual pursuit of his intentions for me and humanity at large. I don't know if this is good or bad but it's where I am in my journey.

Interesting. I was watching a few clips discussing it and it reminded me of the book, Is God a Moral Monster? by Paul Copan. However, it seems to be pushing for more than merely answering questions critical of the bible.
Coke Bear
CutTheTVoff said:

Your statement is incredibly honest. I would offer this point ... if you are trying to deepen your intellectual knowledge and faith with reading good books, you are growing your relationship with God.

A personal relationship with God for some is about "feelings". Feelings come and go. Growing in your knowledge and faith is a stronger bond (IMHO.)
LIB,MR BEARS
Pray each morning then, throughout the day and evening as moved.

6 days a week, I listen to Alistair Begg's Truth For Life app (I highly recommend this).

Monday evening was my first night to attend BSF or Bible Study Fellowship. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm guessing there were 200 men there.
BaylorFTW
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Monday evening was my first night to attend BSF or Bible Study Fellowship. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm guessing there were 200 men there.
That is a lot. Do they have a general lecture hall setup and then break into smaller groups for discussions?
LIB,MR BEARS
BaylorFTW said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

That is a lot. Do they have a general lecture hall setup and then break into smaller groups for discussions?
They start with a prayer and a hymn then break into groups for 35-40 minutes. They then come back together for about 30 minutes for a speaker addressing the next week's verses/chapter.
william
often:

https://www.partstown.com/modelManual/GLO-4913_iom.pdf

- BUmma

{ sipping au jus }
Dale?
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BaylorFTW said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

They start with a prayer and a hymn then break into groups for 35-40 minutes. They then come back together for about 30 minutes for a speaker addressing the next week's verses/chapter.
That was exactly my favorite form of bible study, especially if the small groups give a summation of their group discussion.
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BaylorFTW said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

That was exactly my favorite form of bible study, especially if the small groups give a summation of their group discussion.
Ive only been to 1 so far but, you just described it perfectly.

Consider this an invitation. There are several Waco doctors and attorneys that I recognized as well as some BU profs and lecturers. I'm guessing you would know quite a few there. You know the Bible well and I'm sure could contribute to the conversation in a very positive way.
quash
I don't live there anymore, but thanks.
LIB,MR BEARS
BSF meets in about 1500 locations around the world. There's a good chance there may be one near you.

https://www.bsfinternational.org/
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BSF meets in about 1500 locations around the world. There's a good chance there may be one near you.

https://www.bsfinternational.org/
Two womens classes, but thanks for the link. I've been invited to an Episcopalian men's group that meets at bars to drink beer and discuss the bible. They're right up my alley, just waiting for the next meeting.
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BaylorFTW said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Consider this an invitation. There are several Waco doctors and attorneys that I recognized as well as some BU profs and lecturers. I'm guessing you would know quite a few there. You know the Bible well and I'm sure could contribute to the conversation in a very positive way.
BTW, having somebody outside your faith group can really be useful. My last SS used to have a guy who came about three times a year, called himself Howard the Jew, knew both testaments quite well. All kinds of insights.
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BaylorFTW said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BTW, having somebody outside your faith group can really be useful. My last SS used to have a guy who came about three times a year, called himself Howard the Jew, knew both testaments quite well. All kinds of insights.
Im thrilled you'll be going. I pray that you will again, find your faith in Christ.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.