NBC NEWS - Voting for Trump "Unconstitutional"

2,324 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sam Lowry
BaylorFTW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
codyorr said:

BaylorFTW said:

codyorr said:

BaylorFTW said:

Sam Lowry said:

And on the right you have Ben Shapiro, Charles Krauthammer, John Podhoretz, Jonah Goldberg, Matt Drudge, Mark Levin, Michael Savage, et al.

Granted, it's true that a majority of American Jews vote Democratic. But the same is true of blacks and Hispanics. Ta-Nehisi Coates, Malcolm X, Barack Obama, Jeremiah Wright, Cornel West, Louis Farrakhan, and Al Sharpton have all been accused of being radical or divisive to varying degrees. Would you call them weirdos, or would it be necessary to call them black weirdos?

I guess I still don't see what it is about Jews that makes them a special target.
I don't think the issue is with what I am saying. I believe the issue is that you won't allow yourself to consider the evidence. You are having trouble with anyone pointing out there are some Jews that promote crazy or bad ideas. I believe this is because of programming you've received where if anyone says something less than positive about a Jew no matter the circumstances you automatically see it as anti-Semitism. Here, I am concerned about crazy or bad ideas that disrupt the morality of the US. And in paying attention to that, I have noticed certain patterns. I realize that you would prefer these patterns not exist but it is what it is. If we are truly interested in rooting out bad ideas, we have to have an understanding of where they come from.

I think what Sam is (rightfully) challenging you on is your premise that being Jewish is a part of "where [bad ideas] are coming from". Almost everyone you mentioned in your list of "people with crazy / bad ideas" is male. Why didn't you say, "the author Noah Berlatsky is a male weirdo. Of course he thinks it is ok to smear people..."? Or how about being a baby boomer? Signer, Perel, Metzl, Horwitz, Epstein, and Weinstein were all born between 1946 and 1964.

Sorry I'm not going to let y'all police my language. If you want to make an argument about being male or a baby boomer as the reason why these folks and others promoted bad or morally destructive ideas, I will listen. But on the outset, it sounds more like a deflection designed to avoid discussing this topic.
Sam and I (and anyone else following along) are still waiting for you to provide an explanation for why being Jewish is associated with crazy or bad ideas. To the extent that you are unwilling or unable to, don't get offended if someone questions whether your comment was ignorant.
That was my question to Sam. He didn't feel comfortable addressing that save that he hinted that the majority of Jewish people tend to vote democrat. If I were to speculate I would speculate that most of these folks are actually non religious or practicing their Jewish faith largely in name only because I don't think they could seriously defend these ideas with Jewish teaching. In other words, Messianic Jews and Orthodox Jews should take issue with such assertions.

As Sam says, I am sure many of these bad idea folks are liberal in ideology and that shapes how they see what is acceptable in the world. Many of them probably do feel like a minority and resent the idea of Christian morality or conservative values. Some may take great satisfaction at poking a finger at such a WASP culture as Al Goldstein is said to have done. Others like say Peter Singer are simply living out their worldview. He believes that babies are a commodity and so people should have the right to abort them or practice infanticide and sell their parts as they see fit. From my Christian perspective, this is morally wrong but from his perspective, he is simply following his intellectual beliefs to its natural conclusion.

In addition, there is a good percentage of intelligent Jews (ex. on average, Ashkenazi Jews tend to do well on IQ tests) who can naturally rise to the top of their fields and in so doing allow them the opportunity to lead various movements and promote various ideas. IMO, some of those ideas are bad or morally destructive ideas like I mentioned earlier in this thread.

So I would imagine that some combination of these things contributes to why these folks think it is ok to promote these bad or morally destructive ideas or do these bad acts.

Now, my question to you is why do you think these folks did these bad acts and promote these bad or morally destructive ideas?
Sam Lowry
BaylorFTW said:

Sam Lowry said:

And on the right you have Ben Shapiro, Charles Krauthammer, John Podhoretz, Jonah Goldberg, Matt Drudge, Mark Levin, Michael Savage, et al.

Granted, it's true that a majority of American Jews vote Democratic. But the same is true of blacks and Hispanics. Ta-Nehisi Coates, Malcolm X, Barack Obama, Jeremiah Wright, Cornel West, Louis Farrakhan, and Al Sharpton have all been accused of being radical or divisive to varying degrees. Would you call them weirdos, or would it be necessary to call them black weirdos?

I guess I still don't see what it is about Jews that makes them a special target.
I don't think the issue is with what I am saying. I believe the issue is that you won't allow yourself to consider the evidence. You are having trouble with anyone pointing out there are some Jews that promote crazy or bad ideas. I believe this is because of programming you've received where if anyone says something less than positive about a Jew no matter the circumstances you automatically see it as anti-Semitism. Here, I am concerned about crazy or bad ideas that disrupt the morality of the US. And in paying attention to that, I have noticed certain patterns. I realize that you would prefer these patterns not exist but it is what it is. If we are truly interested in rooting out bad ideas, we have to have an understanding of where they come from.

No, I've already said I have no trouble with anyone pointing out that there are some Jews who promote bad ideas. Just like there are all kinds of other people who promote bad ideas...including some people in the Catholic Church, which happens to be the one I belong to. This is different from singling out Jews for particular blame. If that's what you're doing, it's up to you to present the evidence before we can consider it. But you'll have to make up your mind and stop flip-flopping. Are you specifically blaming Jews for the decline of American morality, or not?
Sam Lowry
BaylorFTW said:

codyorr said:

BaylorFTW said:

Sam Lowry said:

I think what Sam is (rightfully) challenging you on is your premise that being Jewish is a part of "where [bad ideas] are coming from". Almost everyone you mentioned in your list of "people with crazy / bad ideas" is male. Why didn't you say, "the author Noah Berlatsky is a male weirdo. Of course he thinks it is ok to smear people..."? Or how about being a baby boomer? Signer, Perel, Metzl, Horwitz, Epstein, and Weinstein were all born between 1946 and 1964.

Sorry I'm not going to let y'all police my language. If you want to make an argument about being male or a baby boomer as the reason why these folks and others promoted bad or morally destructive ideas, I will listen. But on the outset, it sounds more like a deflection designed to avoid discussing this topic.
No one is policing your language or avoiding the topic. I'm inviting you to clarify and express your opinions in whatever way you want, even if I disagree.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.