Coronavirus updates here

402,850 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

Mothra said:

TexasScientist said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

LOL - a little late to the party. Probably doing it to justify the riots.

How does the antibody test justify riots? Can you explain the connection you are making?
My point was these liberal organizations were ignoring the stats showing the virus was less dangerous than originally thought. It took the shifting narrative to the protests for them to finally admit what everyone else was already saying so now the virus isn't dangerous anymore so social distancing isn't as big a deal in these riots. My apologies, did not word it well. They never would have printed this article if the riots hadn't broken out.

Liberals are licking their chops. First the virus to blame Trump for, now the riots. Guarantee the first school shooting in Sept or Oct will be their trifecta.
105,000 deaths so far is not what I would consider less dangerous than origonally thought.
Original projections by the govt. were in the 260,000 range. And of course, the 105,000 number doesn't account for the over-reporting of deaths early on, as Dr. Brix has alluded to. She said it was over-reported by about 25%.

At the end of the day, it's going to be less than originally projected, certainly.

Don't know where you are getting that number from. My recollection was that once the CDC 15-day guidelines were put in place, the estimate was 100k-240k.

Also, there are just as many doctors and statisticians who say the death toll is underreported as who say it is over reported .

Meant 240,000, not 260,000. That was the original number thrown out by the govt. as being an estimate of what the number would/could reach. We will be far below that when it's all said and done.

I haven't seen any doctors saying the numbers are underreported, though I don't doubt there are those who believe that. That said, my comments were based on what Dr. Brix opined.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

How does the antibody test justify riots? Can you explain the connection you are making?
My point was these liberal organizations were ignoring the stats showing the virus was less dangerous than originally thought. It took the shifting narrative to the protests for them to finally admit what everyone else was already saying so now the virus isn't dangerous anymore so social distancing isn't as big a deal in these riots. My apologies, did not word it well. They never would have printed this article if the riots hadn't broken out.

Liberals are licking their chops. First the virus to blame Trump for, now the riots. Guarantee the first school shooting in Sept or Oct will be their trifecta.

Two big assumptions.
Assumptions?

About 5 days ago every liberal media station was trashing anyone w/out a mask or who was in a group. Less than a week later none of that matters anymore - why? Did Covid disappear?
Absolutely it disappeared! I mean if liberal hypocrites say so, it must be true. And science be damned.
Actually, to be fair I've seen media discuss the fact that the protesters are gathered in close proximity, many without masks, and that it may result in a surge in cases as a result.
True.
Who have you seen reporting on it? Curious. CNN isn't saying a peep.
I saw this article about it the other day: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/protests-pandemic/612460/

Thanks. I don't doubt that some have reported on it. We are just not hearing the weeping and gnashing of teeth, like we did from many in the media, when protestors were taking to the streets to protest the lockdowns. As I said, it is ironic,
Booray
Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

TexasScientist said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

105,000 deaths so far is not what I would consider less dangerous than origonally thought.
Original projections by the govt. were in the 260,000 range. And of course, the 105,000 number doesn't account for the over-reporting of deaths early on, as Dr. Brix has alluded to. She said it was over-reported by about 25%.

At the end of the day, it's going to be less than originally projected, certainly.

Don't know where you are getting that number from. My recollection was that once the CDC 15-day guidelines were put in place, the estimate was 100k-240k.

Also, there are just as many doctors and statisticians who say the death toll is underreported as who say it is over reported .

Meant 240,000, not 260,000. That was the original number thrown out by the govt. as being an estimate of what the number would/could reach. We will be far below that when it's all said and done.

I haven't seen any doctors saying the numbers are underreported, though I don't doubt there are those who believe that. That said, my comments were based on what Dr. Brix opined.
The estimate you are referring to was pretty clearly 100K-240K through the course of the pandemic if we implemented and followed social distancing protocols. So is is much more accurate to say we will likely be in the range predicted as opposed to we are under the number predicted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/us/politics/coronavirus-death-toll-united-states.html

As to counting deaths and impacts, here is a just a small smattering of those who say the official stats are on the low side:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/05/13/854873605/fauci-says-u-s-death-toll-is-likely-higher-other-covid-stats-need-adjusting-too

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/04/20/covid-count

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-covid-19-deaths-are-counted1/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-deaths/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html

nessinsider.com/flu-deaths-overestimated-coronavirus-deaths-undercounted-repo

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-florida-pneumonia-flu-deaths-spike-20200417-lkel6rlik5blhd5zdktkrxhzze-story.html

Mothra
In the range, perhaps, but far below the bookend high.
quash
Mothra said:

In the range, perhaps, but far below the bookend high.
As noted the high was if nobody reacted. We did and cut the deaths. It's OK to pat ourselves on the back a little instead of worrying about not hitting the high mark. And with the maskless protesters it ain't over yet...
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash: "As noted the high was if nobody reacted."

No, the 'nobody reacted' number was 2.2 million

https://www.cato.org/blog/how-one-model-simulated-22-million-us-deaths-covid-19

Just take the loss and move on, q.
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

Two big assumptions.
Assumptions?

About 5 days ago every liberal media station was trashing anyone w/out a mask or who was in a group. Less than a week later none of that matters anymore - why? Did Covid disappear?
Absolutely it disappeared! I mean if liberal hypocrites say so, it must be true. And science be damned.
Actually, to be fair I've seen media discuss the fact that the protesters are gathered in close proximity, many without masks, and that it may result in a surge in cases as a result.
True.
I saw this article about it the other day: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/protests-pandemic/612460/

Yet the DMN reported different opinion from former public health official
quash
Oldbear83 said:

Within a range. Context is your friend.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Yours too, if you would just give it a chance, quash.

Take the loss and move on. You'll find a new cloud to yell at soon enough.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

The win is having the death total at the low end of the range. Lives saved is hardly a cloud. If you want to claim the win for all those lives saved claim it. Doesn't matter to me. Thank you for saving them.
Booray
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

The win is having the death total at the low end of the range. Lives saved is hardly a cloud. If you want to claim the win for all those lives saved claim it. Doesn't matter to me. Thank you for saving them.
I am still for reporting the score at the end of the day.
quash
Booray said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sure. And let's be grateful for the lives saved while we mourn our losses and try to learn from our mistakes.
Oldbear83
"learn from our mistakes."

Yes, like maybe don't shut down the economy without real need, don't attack viable treatment options out of political bias, don't tell heart and diabetes patients they cannot get outpatient procedures because VIRUS ... those sorts of mistakes.
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

We're a long way from there. The predictions we're talking about were for a two-year period.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

We're a long way from there. The predictions we're talking about were for a two-year period.
So go back and hide under your bed, Sam. We'll come get you around, say, 2022.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

See? You can do math when you want to.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

I always do the math. And I noticed long ago the fear mongers math was way off.

But hey, what's destroying a few dozen million businesses and killing some people with heart and kidney issues, as long as you get to insult people for trying to use common sense?
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

You get the response you earn, TS/Waco.
Hmm. What else should I expect from you, other than thoughtless and mindless attempts at provocation?
On the contrary, you have received a well-considered and salient response. I am in no way guilty of provocation, however you cannot say the same, sir.
I just did. Read above.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

You get the response you earn, TS/Waco.
Hmm. What else should I expect from you, other than thoughtless and mindless attempts at provocation?
On the contrary, you have received a well-considered and salient response. I am in no way guilty of provocation, however you cannot say the same, sir.
I just did. Read above.
A dismal effort, even for you TS.
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

Two big assumptions.
Assumptions?

True.

Yet the DMN reported different opinion from former public health official
I'm not keeping count, but overall I would agree that the media are showing less concern than they were a couple of weeks ago. I think that's a shame. Outdoor gatherings may be relatively less risky, all other things being equal, but that doesn't mean they don't contribute to the problem.

Politics is a powerful factor on both sides.
BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

I suppose the opposite is true too then right?

Like when you said in the first couple pages of this thread the virus was "largely contained to China" (oops)?

Or what about when you said the City of Austin and City of Houston were "just playing politics" when they cancelled SXSW and the Houston Rodeo because 300k tourists to each of those cities "wouldn't have been a big deal."
jupiter
Doc Holliday
The irony of the millions of protestors whose members also heavily policed the public on lockdowns and masks is sure quick to get together in close proximity.

They don't really care about any of this do they?
Oldbear83
BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Like when you said in the first couple pages of this thread the virus was "largely contained to China" (oops)?

Or what about when you said the City of Austin and City of Houston were "just playing politics" when they cancelled SXSW and the Houston Rodeo because 300k tourists to each of those cities "wouldn't have been a big deal."
I used the available information at the time. You are very dishonest to pretend we knew then, what we know now.

Update: I went back and re-read the first four pages of this thread. Every word I wrote through the first 4 pages was true, especially the problems it created for China. But hey, stick with your dishonesty and insults. It's what you do best.

BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Rquash: "As noted the high was if nobody reacted."

I used the available information at the time. You are very dishonest to pretend we knew then, what we know now.

Update: I went back and re-read the first four pages of this thread. Every word I wrote through the first 4 pages was true, especially the problems it created for China. But hey, stick with your dishonesty and insults. It's what you do best.

You know what's great about Internet forums? There is written record of your absolutely terrible takes.

2/25/20 @ 9:47am, BearFan33: "Is it fair to say that we have lost containment?"
2/25/20 @ 10:16am, OldBear83: "No, that would not be a fair statement."

-

"Right now, the fear-mongering is doing more damage than the virus. The idiot mayor of Austin, for example, cancelled SXSW without realizing what that would do to Austin's restaurants and hotels, and now he's begging Austin residents to go out to eat and to hotels. There is a reasonable standard of caution to be taken, but the people pushing fear and worry are responsible for real economic damage and helping no one. They should be rhetorically slapped for that."

Every major municipality in the country along with every major US sports league was canceling events, games, etc. Additionally, by the time you typed this post the president of United States had shut down travel from both China and the US, but somehow you were working with "different information." Perhaps it was the "I admit it, I'm bias because I have a wife whose family is from China" information.

<April 8th> Get back to me when there are more Americans dead from COVID-19 than there were from the H1N1 pandemic under Obama.

Less than three weeks later you're calling people out for making comparisons to H1N1 seemingly forgetting you made the above post.

I didn't even quote the outright lies you made about both SXSW and the rodeo and the respective city councils of both cities.

Sorry bro. This was among the biggest whiffs in this board's history. You never once backtracked or admitted mistake. Instead you only doubled down time and time again and continually called others out who disagree with you despite the evidence overwhelmingly stating otherwise. This one is on you.
Oldbear83
Mister you are delusional. A few cherry-picked snips out of context does nothing but make you a dog barking in the back yard, angry his opinion does not count for more than noise.
BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

Mister you are delusional. A few cherry-picked snips out of context does nothing but make you a dog barking in the back yard, angry his opinion does not count for more than noise.

"I went back and re-read the first four pages of this thread. Every word I wrote through the first 4 pages was true"

<Quotes multiple posts from OP word-for-word in their entire context>

"Brah, you're just cherry-picking snips of my comments!"

Lulz. This is going very, very poorly for you buddy.

We're all wrong at times. Goodness knows I have struck out multiple times on the football forum (although, admittedly, none of them have been as off as yours!)

Man up and take the loss.
Oldbear83
You are a sad, petty person, BJM.

quash
Oldbear83 said:

Aw, did you get the response you deserved?
jupiter
nein51
Cedar Point Lawsuit

You could tell it was only a matter of time before lawsuits like this started popping up.

Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

No, just a couple dogs barking because they could not follow the discussion.

Above their heads.
Doc Holliday
blackie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jack Bauer said:

Uh...oh.

"We are about to see the best economic data we've seen in the history of this country," says a top former economic adviser to Obama.

The general election scenario that Democrats are dreading

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/26/2020-election-democrats-281470
The eagerness to get out + the stimulus checks are going to give us massive and quick economic gains.

Q3 will probably give us the best GDP quarter in modern history.
Doc, I would scale back a little bit to avoid disappointment. The "eagerness to get out" is not shared by probably a third or more of the population that fall into the most at-risk population.....people over 65 and those with underlying conditions. That probably doesn't even account for much less at-risk people who in their families are reluctant in fear of bringing it home to older parents and such that are living with them. It is going to be a while before this group goes back whole hog as long as there is no treatment or convincing signs that the virus has played itself out. Especially when they see crowds of people doing their best to transmit any virus they may be carrying to everyone they can because of their refusal to even consider any transmission precautions.

Without this group of people, it is not reasonable to expect the economy to get back anywhere near where it was. The unemployment numbers will still be abysmal. The stimulus checks.......they have already been spent, unless you are going to send out a whole bunch more. The younger people who are so eager to get out don't have the income or means to make up for those that will be able, but choose not to get out with anything close to their behavior pre-virus.

The only thing you might see is the difference between Q2 and Q3. That could be quite a bit in some areas, but that will only be a relative figure compared to a horrible Q2. Nothing anywhere near the "best GDP quarter in modern history". You have to look at absolutes, not relative comparisons.
corncob pipe
Lake of the Ozark outbreak expected soon...

BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

No, just a couple dogs barking because they could not follow the discussion.

Above their heads.

You should change your handle to Dunning Kruger.

Or Gene Stallings.
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.