Coronavirus updates here

431,396 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gruvin said:

quash said:

And that is what has been going on since May 28. Covid with complications ...

This is a nothingburger.
it may be in your mind but it is dishonest AF

I had no idea that Suicide was a complication of Covid.
Dishonest? How so?

From an epidemiologist:
There have been rumors, and tweets, and screenshots, and who knows what else stating that only 6% of CDC's COVID19 death count is due to COVID19.
Thought I would clear the air from an epidemiological point of view. Here we go....
What happened?
CDC updated its regular statistics page stating: "For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned." For the other 94% of people that died of COVID19, "individuals had an average of 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death".
What does this change?
NOTHING. 182,885 people have still died from COVID19 in the US. COVID19 is still the third leading cause of death in the US.
What does the science say?
1. The CDC (and basically every scientist across the world) has consistently stated that individuals with underlying health conditions are more likely to die from COVID19. This is probably one of the first facts that we DID know. We shouldn't be surprised of this "low" 6%
2. Long-term conditions (like obesity, diabetes, or heart disease) are "chronic" because they last for a long time. Most are, in fact, manageable thanks to modern science. Someone with diabetes (that wasn't "supposed" to die this year) can manage to get infected with COVID19 and die quickly because their immune systems get overwhelmed.
3. The health of our nation has been terrible, even before the pandemic. 60% of adults have a chronic condition. Among those aged 65 and over, 80% have multiple chronic conditions. Minorities and low-income populations have more chronic conditions too. So, if you take a random sample of people who die, the majority will have at least one chronic condition.
4. There are many lines on a death certificate. This includes the "immediate cause of death", "sequentially conditions leading to the cause of death", and "other significant conditions contributing to death". Which ties to #3it would be odd if a chronic condition WASN'T listed on a death certificate in the US given the health of our nation overall and given COVID19 touches every organ system. Death certificate instructions are below if you're curious how this data is collected.
5. If there is nothing else, just look at an excess death graph for 2020 (see Figure). We are WAY above our deaths this year compared to past years. Period. This doesn't just randomly coincide with a pandemic.
In epidemiology (and science), it's very weird for us to beat a dead horse. We typically accept the conclusions of a room full of scientists with decades of experience until another room of scientists with decades of experience proves them wrong. We don't change our mind from a tweet that is taken out of context (no matter who it's from). The public should follow suit.
I guess I should just be happy that everyone (and I mean everyone) now pays attention to public health.
Love, YLE
CDC link to deaths causing the commotion: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Chronic conditions and of COVID19 death: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-at-increased-risk.html

;
Chronic conditions, overall, in the US: http://www.fightchronicdisease.org/sites/default/files/TL221_final.pdf

; https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/infographic/chronic-diseases.htm

Death certificate instructions: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/blue_form.pdf

Excess Deaths posts: https://yourlocalepidemiologist.com/excess-deaths/

;
COVID19 as a leading cause of death: https://yourlocalepidemiologist.com/leading-causes-of-death/

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
4th and Inches
Great- ask the epidemiologist exactly how a covid positive man who dies in a motorcycle accident is a Covid death

He didnt die of Covid and it didnt contribute to his death but hey why not add to the total

I was in healthcare admin for 18 years. I know how to fill out a form or two
Jacques Strap
SIAP

If the tests are too sensitive, then many people who died with a COVID code may be inaccurately coded. We will never know the real fatality numbers but seems very likely they are overstated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

Quote:

Your Coronavirus Test Is Positive. Maybe It Shouldn't Be.

The usual diagnostic tests may simply be too sensitive and too slow to contain the spread of the virus.
Jack Bauer
November 14
3rd round of the Masters straight to...Alabama @LSU!!
Friscobear
Jacques Strap said:

SIAP

If the tests are too sensitive, then many people who died with a COVID code may be inaccurately coded. We will never know the real fatality numbers but seems very likely they are overstated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

Quote:

Your Coronavirus Test Is Positive. Maybe It Shouldn't Be.

The usual diagnostic tests may simply be too sensitive and too slow to contain the spread of the virus.

Yep, posted it yesterday evening, but it bears repeating.

Apparently Germany's tests stop in the 20's, so naturally the number of cases they are reporting are less than we are.

Apples to oranges. It looks like we are reporting people that are not infectious.
Booray
Gruvin said:

Great- ask the epidemiologist exactly how a covid positive man who dies in a motorcycle accident is a Covid death

He didnt die of Covid and it didnt contribute to his death but hey why not add to the total

The epidemiologist's answer is #5-look at the excess deaths. Anecdotal evidence of improperly coded deaths does not explain why some many more people are dying. A pandemic does.

Is the right number 10% more or less that the reported number? I don't know or care. The simple fact is the Covid 19 has contributed to many more Americans dying this year. And would contribute to significantly more Americans dying is if we just went back to our life as it existed in January 2020.
Robert Wilson
Booray said:

Gruvin said:

The epidemiologist's answer is #5-look at the excess deaths. Anecdotal evidence of improperly coded deaths does not explain why some many more people are dying. A pandemic does.

Is the right number 10% more or less that the reported number? I don't know or care. The simple fact is the Covid 19 has contributed to many more Americans dying this year. And would contribute to significantly more Americans dying is if we just went back to our life as it existed in January 2020.
The lockdown and all that went with it -- higher substance abuse, more intra family violence, fear-mongering people into avoiding their doctors and the hospitals, less preventative and early intervention care, more mental health problems, on and on and on ... also contributed to excess deaths. Heck even homicide rates are way up this year in many cities.

Not saying covid isn't a contributor. It clearly is. But the picture is complicated in part by things we couldn't control and in part by us Barney Fifing ourselves in the foot.
Osodecentx
Booray said:

Gruvin said:

I'm not going to read 118 prior pages. Is someone saying there was no pandemic?

New York/New Jersey was a disaster because they were the first. They made mistakes, but they couldn't have known the best treatments. Their health care system teetered on the edge and almost collapsed. They aren't learning now and are making different mistakes.

We learned from them. I like what Texas is doing. I've got my fingers crossed about schools and colleges reopening. There will be a surge, but how big?
Booray
Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Gruvin said:

New York/New Jersey was a disaster because they were the first. They made mistakes, but they couldn't have known the best treatments. Their health care system teetered on the edge and almost collapsed. They aren't learning now and are making different mistakes.

We learned from them. I like what Texas is doing. I've got my fingers crossed about schools and colleges reopening. There will be a surge, but how big?
he epidemiologist opinion referred to is right at the top of this page. The epidemiologist is responding to the most recent attempt to minimize the pandemic by referring to the number of covid deaths as only those deaths where covid is the sole cause of death on the death certificate.
Osodecentx
Booray said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Gruvin said:

he epidemiologist opinion referred to is right at the top of this page. The epidemiologist is responding to the most recent attempt to minimize the pandemic by referring to the number of covid deaths as only those deaths where covid is the sole cause of death on the death certificate.
We're in a pandemic. Trying to argue the total down marginally doesn't change that.
Jacques Strap
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/health/cdc-covid-19-vaccine-distribution/index.html

CDC documents say states should prepare to distribute Covid-19 vaccines as soon as late October

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has told public health officials around the United States to prepare to distribute a potential coronavirus vaccine as soon as late October. It also provided planning scenarios to help states prepare.

The documents were posted by The New York Times and the CDC confirmed to CNN it has sent them to city and state public health officials.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/health/covid-19-vaccine-cdc-plans.html

C.D.C. Tells States How to Prepare for Covid-19 Vaccine by Early November

As President Trump pushes the possibility of a vaccine this year, the C.D.C. has outlined technical scenarios to state public health officials for an unidentified Vaccine A and Vaccine B.
quash
Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Gruvin said:

We're in a pandemic. Trying to argue the total down marginally doesn't change that.
The argument was that only 6% were Covid, hardly marginal.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Jacques Strap
https://www.ft.com/content/42a1a52b-287e-4dee-9a60-01ab01dcf5c9

Bullish Switzerland moves on from lockdown and focuses on economy

Critics warn of complacency but Bern believes the country must learn to live with virus

Jacques Strap
Dr. F the economy speaks

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fauci-daily-covid-19-cases-need-drop-least-30k-safe-n1239096

Fauci: Daily COVID-19 cases need to drop by at least 30K for safe flu season

The U.S. is averaging about 40,000 new cases a day. Fauci says "that's unacceptably high."

Florda_mike
Jacques Strap said:

Dr. F the economy speaks

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fauci-daily-covid-19-cases-need-drop-least-30k-safe-n1239096

The U.S. is averaging about 40,000 new cases a day. Fauci says "that's unacceptably high."

Dr F needs to retire

He's burned toast, old news
Jacques Strap
I may take it but I'll be happy to wait at the end of the line and let others go first.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-third-of-americans-say-they-wouldn-t-take-a-coronavirus-vaccine-says-survey

One-Third of Americans Say They Wouldn't Take a Coronavirus Vaccine, Poll Shows

Thirty-three percent of respondents in the US said they "somewhat disagreed" or "strongly disagreed" with the statement "if a vaccine for COVID-19 were available, I would get it," according to an Ipsos MORI poll for the World Economic Forum.

riflebear
This is our future President who says he has a 'plan' to fix Covid.

He can't even follow the current rules - don't shake hands and definitely don't touch your face/mask after touching someone else.

whitetrash
riflebear said:

He can't even follow the current rules - don't shake hands and definitely don't touch your face/mask after touching someone else.

At least he has the mask over his chin instead of his eyes this time.

Jack Bauer
I think Governor Gretchen saw the polls...she tried to keep things shut down until Election Day but now she suddenly LOVES football

Whitmer reopens gyms, giving the green light to high school sports
Michigan gyms and pools are allowed to reopen starting Sept. 9 and high school sports can take place under the latest move from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

"Throughout this pandemic, we have followed the best science and data available to make decisions that will keep Michiganders safe, and our hard work is paying off. Today we are announcing the reopening of gyms and pools with strict safety measures in place to protect patrons and their families," Whitmer said in a press release.

Gyms in southern Michigan have been closed since March.
riflebear
Jack Bauer said:

I think Governor Gretchen saw the polls...she tried to keep things shut down until Election Day but now she suddenly LOVES football

Michigan gyms and pools are allowed to reopen starting Sept. 9 and high school sports can take place under the latest move from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

"Throughout this pandemic, we have followed the best science and data available to make decisions that will keep Michiganders safe, and our hard work is paying off. Today we are announcing the reopening of gyms and pools with strict safety measures in place to protect patrons and their families," Whitmer said in a press release.

Pools opening in September in Michigan? LOL
quash
riflebear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Pools opening in September in Michigan? LOL
Indoor pools. They're a thing.
EatMoreSalmon
riflebear said:

It was a set up!

Honestly, This doesn't really bother me too much. Any more than bags of soup cans.

One day, the press and others will get back to real policies and real misdeeds by politicians, leaving the propaganda and whining to the party purchased advertisements.
riflebear
EatMoreSalmon said:

riflebear said:

It was a set up!

Honestly, This doesn't really bother me too much. Any more than bags of soup cans.

One day, the press and others will get back to real policies and real misdeeds by politicians, leaving the propaganda and whining to the party purchased advertisements.
It doesn't me either, it just shows

1 - How dumb Biden is
2 - Another moment where the press is exposed as hypocrites because if it was Trump this would be breaking news - Trump shook someone's hand then touched his mask. Every late night show would be mocking him.
quash
riflebear said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

riflebear said:

It was a set up!

It doesn't me either, it just shows

1 - How dumb Biden is
2 - Another moment where the press is exposed as hypocrites because if it was Trump this would be breaking news - Trump shook someone's hand then touched his mask. Every late night show would be mocking him.
The story wouldn't be about touching his mask, it would be about Trump wearing a mask.
Jacques Strap
Didn't see this coming

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/u-s-economy-gained-1-4-million-jobs-last-month-n1239004

U.S. economy gained 1.4 million jobs last month
Unemployment rate falls to 8.4 percent (Bloomberg survey expectation 9.8%)
D. C. Bear
Jacques Strap said:

Dr. F the economy speaks

Flu season in the Southern Hemisphere wasn't much of a flu season. Would not surprise me if ours was a lot lower than normal, too.
Osodecentx
D. C. Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

Dr. F the economy speaks

Flu season in the Southern Hemisphere wasn't much of a flu season. Would not surprise me if ours was a lot lower than normal, too.
Cross immunity between corona virus?
D. C. Bear
Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

Dr. F the economy speaks

I am guessing masks, lock downs and less travel is more effective against flu than coronavirus.
Osodecentx
D. C. Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

Dr. F the economy speaks

I am guessing masks, lock downs and less travel is more effective against flu then coronavirus.
Sounds reasonable
Jacques Strap
Interesting but with so much uncertainty and argument in the way the US counts "COVID deaths" the US may be far better than Sweden. Sweden admits they failed to protect the nursing homes (although they did not do what NY and NJ did and force COVID in to nursing homes).

Texasjeremy
COVID DEATHS BY POPULATION
0.180% - New Jersey
0.170% - New York
0.131% - Massachusetts
0.125% - Connecticut
0.110% - Louisiana
0.100% - Rhode Island
0.086% - Mississippi
0.085% - Washington DC
0.071% - Arizona
0.068% - Michigan
0.066% - Illinois
0.063% - Maryland
0.062% - Delaware
0.061% - Pennsylvania
0.059% - USA AVERAGE
0.057% - Georgia
0.056% - South Carolina
0.054% - Florida
0.050% - Indiana
0.047% - Texas
0.046% - Alabama
0.044% - Nevada
0.038% - New Mexico
0.037% - Iowa
0.037% - Ohio
0.034% - California
0.034% - Colorado
0.034% - Minnesota
0.032% - New Hampshire
0.031% - Virginia
0.030% - Arkansas
0.029% - Missouri
0.028% - North Carolina
0.027% - Tennessee
0.025% - Washington
0.022% - Kentucky
0.022% - Oklahoma
0.021% - Idaho
0.021% - Nebraska
0.020% - North Dakota
0.020% - Wisconsin
0.019% - South Dakota
0.017% - Kansas
0.016% - Puerto Rico
0.014% - West Virginia
0.013% - Utah
0.011% - Montana
0.011% - Oregon
0.010% - Maine
0.009% - Vermont
0.007% - Wyoming
0.006% - Alaska
0.006% - Hawaii

COVID CASES RESULTING IN DEATH
8.37% - Connecticut
8.14% - New Jersey
7.44% - Massachusetts
7.00% - New York
5.78% - New Hampshire
5.73% - Michigan
5.43% - Pennsylvania
4.69% - Rhode Island
4.25% - Washington DC
3.51% - Vermont
3.36% - Maryland
3.35% - Indiana
3.34% - Louisiana
3.33% - Delaware
3.32% - Colorado
3.31% - Illinois
3.26% - Ohio
3.09% - New Mexico
2.98% - USA AVERAGE
2.96% - Mississippi
2.84% - Maine
2.53% - Arizona
2.46% - Washington
2.35% - Minnesota
2.31% - South Carolina
2.14% - West Virginia
2.13% - Georgia
2.09% - Virginia
2.07% - Texas
1.93% - Nevada
1.88% - Kentucky
1.86% - California
1.84% - Missouri
1.83% - Florida
1.71% - Oregon
1.70% - Alabama
1.66% - Iowa
1.64% - North Carolina
1.42% - Montana
1.42% - Wisconsin
1.39% - Arkansas
1.36% - Puerto Rico
1.31% - Oklahoma
1.14% - Idaho
1.14% - Tennessee
1.12% - Nebraska
1.12% - North Dakota
1.12% - South Dakota
1.04% - Wyoming
1.02% - Kansas
0.86% - Hawaii
0.77% - Utah
0.72% - Alaska
TexasScientist
From Garth Davis M.D. medical doctor, international speaker, and best selling science author:

Once again conspiracy theorists have been duped by political interests. Trump wants you to think that coronavirus has been over exaggerated and definitely doesn't want testing because higher numbers makes him look bad. So last week CDC suggested that if not symptomatic then no need for testing. This is VERY different to what successful countries have done. Problem is that asymptomatic person may become symptomatic and then by the time they are tested will have infected others. But that is not what the conspiracy theorists are jumping on. CDC reported the numbers of deaths that are pure COVID with no comorbid illness vs the number of people that had COVID and comorbid illness. They therefore assume that the group with comorbid illness didn't die from COVID. That is NOT what the data says. There is a new ICD-9 code for death suspected to be secondary to COVID. Someone may have diabetes and get COVID and die from pneumonia from COVID. This person would not be listed in CDC pure COVID death but they did die from COVID. It is very difficult to parse the data. Easiest numbers to look at are excess death rates. How many people in total are dying this year compared to last? If COVID is not killing people, as the conspiracy theorists want you to believe, than excess death would not be higher this year than last year. In fact, with all the quarantine we would have drop in flu cases, and people have been avoiding surgeries so there should be drop in people having issues after surgery. So, we really should have less excess deaths. Fact is, excess deaths are substantially higher this year over last. COVID-19 is obviously killing people. It is obviously filling up hospitals. Amazing to me how people can deny the obvious. Doesn't mean we need to be in lockdown. Doesn't mean the sky is falling. What it does mean is you shouldn't get complex scientific analysis from social media influencers with ZERO experience with science.
Jacques Strap
TexasScientist said:

From Garth Davis M.D. medical doctor, international speaker, and best selling science author:

Once again conspiracy theorists have been duped by political interests. Trump wants you to think that coronavirus has been over exaggerated and definitely doesn't want testing because higher numbers makes him look bad. So last week CDC suggested that if not symptomatic then no need for testing. This is VERY different to what successful countries have done. Problem is that asymptomatic person may become symptomatic and then by the time they are tested will have infected others. But that is not what the conspiracy theorists are jumping on. CDC reported the numbers of deaths that are pure COVID with no comorbid illness vs the number of people that had COVID and comorbid illness. They therefore assume that the group with comorbid illness didn't die from COVID. That is NOT what the data says. There is a new ICD-9 code for death suspected to be secondary to COVID. Someone may have diabetes and get COVID and die from pneumonia from COVID. This person would not be listed in CDC pure COVID death but they did die from COVID. It is very difficult to parse the data. Easiest numbers to look at are excess death rates. How many people in total are dying this year compared to last? If COVID is not killing people, as the conspiracy theorists want you to believe, than excess death would not be higher this year than last year. In fact, with all the quarantine we would have drop in flu cases, and people have been avoiding surgeries so there should be drop in people having issues after surgery. So, we really should have less excess deaths. Fact is, excess deaths are substantially higher this year over last. COVID-19 is obviously killing people. It is obviously filling up hospitals. Amazing to me how people can deny the obvious. Doesn't mean we need to be in lockdown. Doesn't mean the sky is falling. What it does mean is you shouldn't get complex scientific analysis from social media influencers with ZERO experience with science.
Try as you might to convince me this is a big deal the numbers are crystal clear that this virus just isn't very dangerous for the vast majority of people. When I say vast majority I mean like 99.75% of people.
Florda_mike
Jacques Strap said:

TexasScientist said:

Try as you might to convince me this is a big deal the numbers are crystal clear that this virus just isn't very dangerous for the vast majority of people. When I say vast majority I mean like 99.75% of people.

It's a Trump thing is all it is with liberals like TS

Gotta drag hell all over the United States til Election Day

They know they've lost
loanbear
TexasScientist said:

This is such a tired argument. No rational thinking person could look at all the data coming out and say this has been WAY overblown. It is 100% politics and nothing more. Stats and math were created for a reason and that was to weed out opinions and bias. At this point, to deny that this has been overblown and overly harsh to the vast majority of the population based on false fear is just shear lunacy.
First Page Last Page
Page 118 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.