Coronavirus updates here

431,387 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

From Garth Davis M.D. medical doctor, international speaker, and best selling science author:

Once again conspiracy theorists have been duped by political interests. Trump wants you to think that coronavirus has been over exaggerated and definitely doesn't want testing because higher numbers makes him look bad. So last week CDC suggested that if not symptomatic then no need for testing. This is VERY different to what successful countries have done. Problem is that asymptomatic person may become symptomatic and then by the time they are tested will have infected others. But that is not what the conspiracy theorists are jumping on. CDC reported the numbers of deaths that are pure COVID with no comorbid illness vs the number of people that had COVID and comorbid illness. They therefore assume that the group with comorbid illness didn't die from COVID. That is NOT what the data says. There is a new ICD-9 code for death suspected to be secondary to COVID. Someone may have diabetes and get COVID and die from pneumonia from COVID. This person would not be listed in CDC pure COVID death but they did die from COVID. It is very difficult to parse the data. Easiest numbers to look at are excess death rates. How many people in total are dying this year compared to last? If COVID is not killing people, as the conspiracy theorists want you to believe, than excess death would not be higher this year than last year. In fact, with all the quarantine we would have drop in flu cases, and people have been avoiding surgeries so there should be drop in people having issues after surgery. So, we really should have less excess deaths. Fact is, excess deaths are substantially higher this year over last. COVID-19 is obviously killing people. It is obviously filling up hospitals. Amazing to me how people can deny the obvious. Doesn't mean we need to be in lockdown. Doesn't mean the sky is falling. What it does mean is you shouldn't get complex scientific analysis from social media influencers with ZERO experience with science.
is there really? Nobody uses ICD-9but they made a new code for it? The US has been on ICD-10 for at least 4 years
Osodecentx
TexasScientist said:

From Garth Davis M.D. medical doctor, international speaker, and best selling science author:

This is VERY different to what successful countries have done. Problem is that asymptomatic person may become symptomatic and then by the time they are tested will have infected others. But that is not what the conspiracy theorists are jumping on.

CDC reported the numbers of deaths that are pure COVID with no comorbid illness vs the number of people that had COVID and comorbid illness. They therefore assume that the group with comorbid illness didn't die from COVID. That is NOT what the data says.

There is a new ICD-9 code for death suspected to be secondary to COVID. Someone may have diabetes and get COVID and die from pneumonia from COVID.

If COVID is not killing people, as the conspiracy theorists want you to believe, than excess death would not be higher this year than last year
. In fact, with all the quarantine we would have drop in flu cases, and people have been avoiding surgeries so there should be drop in people having issues after surgery.

So, we really should have less excess deaths. Fact is, excess deaths are substantially higher this year over last. COVID-19 is obviously killing people. It is obviously filling up hospitals. Amazing to me how people can deny the obvious. Doesn't mean we need to be in lockdown. Doesn't mean the sky is falling. What it does mean is you shouldn't get complex scientific analysis from social media influencers with ZERO experience with science.
Do you have links for above? You didn't post one for Dr. Davis' assertions

This reads like a political talking point, except for last paragraph.

Thanks

quash
Jacques Strap said:

TexasScientist said:

Once again conspiracy theorists have been duped by political interests. Trump wants you to think that coronavirus has been over exaggerated and definitely doesn't want testing because higher numbers makes him look bad. So last week CDC suggested that if not symptomatic then no need for testing. This is VERY different to what successful countries have done. Problem is that asymptomatic person may become symptomatic and then by the time they are tested will have infected others. But that is not what the conspiracy theorists are jumping on. CDC reported the numbers of deaths that are pure COVID with no comorbid illness vs the number of people that had COVID and comorbid illness. They therefore assume that the group with comorbid illness didn't die from COVID. That is NOT what the data says. There is a new ICD-9 code for death suspected to be secondary to COVID. Someone may have diabetes and get COVID and die from pneumonia from COVID. This person would not be listed in CDC pure COVID death but they did die from COVID. It is very difficult to parse the data. Easiest numbers to look at are excess death rates. How many people in total are dying this year compared to last? If COVID is not killing people, as the conspiracy theorists want you to believe, than excess death would not be higher this year than last year. In fact, with all the quarantine we would have drop in flu cases, and people have been avoiding surgeries so there should be drop in people having issues after surgery. So, we really should have less excess deaths. Fact is, excess deaths are substantially higher this year over last. COVID-19 is obviously killing people. It is obviously filling up hospitals. Amazing to me how people can deny the obvious. Doesn't mean we need to be in lockdown. Doesn't mean the sky is falling. What it does mean is you shouldn't get complex scientific analysis from social media influencers with ZERO experience with science.
Try as you might to convince me this is a big deal the numbers are crystal clear that this virus just isn't very dangerous for the vast majority of people. When I say vast majority I mean like 99.75% of people.
Risk is not the same as dead. People are dead. Less than the worst predictions but more than necessary.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
FB post August 30th.
https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Robert Wilson
What's "necessary"?
Osodecentx
quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB
Summarize or cut and paste
D. C. Bear
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB

Orange man bad. (It is the link to a post above).
Osodecentx
D. C. Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB

I get that part, but I thought there might be some data, not just opinion.
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB

It's quash, not the news.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
quash
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB

Context is your friend. Osodecentex asked for the source of a Texas Scientist post. I gave it.

I was helpful, you were an ass.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB

Context is your friend. Osodecentex asked for the source of a Texas Scientist post. I gave it.

I appreciate your effort. I thought maybe their was a scientific journal or publication explaining Tx Scientist's post

Thanks
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB

Quash gonna quash. If he shot your cat while it was in a tree, he'd insist he "helped get it down" and be mad you complained about his "assistance".

riflebear
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB

Quash gonna quash. If he shot your cat while it was in a tree, he'd insist he "helped get it down" and be mad you complained about his "assistance".

See if you can be a bigger dick. I believe in you.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

FB post August 30th.
I don't do FB

See if you can be a bigger dick. I believe in you.
That's more your forte quash, so go for it.

I'll just go about other business.
Jack Bauer
Coronabros and girls are soooooo mad right now!!!

Jacques Strap
I'd take this anti body test if it turns out to be accurate. Already a blood donor so I'd be a plasma donor for sure.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/09/10/New-COVID-19-antibody-test-provides-fast-cheap-way-to-identify-donors/1221599746630/

New COVID-19 antibody test provides fast, cheap way to identify donors

Quote:

Sept. 10 (UPI) -- A widely available, inexpensive and easy-to-use test accurately identifies COVID-19 antibody levels in potential convalescent plasma donors, according to a study published Thursday by the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

The ELISA -- or enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay -- test has been used for decades and generates results faster than the virus neutralization titer tests currently being used, which are costly and only canbe processed by some labs, researchers said.

For their analysis, Musser and his colleagues at Penn State, the University of Texas at Austin and the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases developed an ELISA-based test that measures two known COVID-19 antibodies: anti-spike ectodomain and anti-receptor binding domain IgG.

Jacques Strap
Jack Bauer said:

Coronabros and girls are soooooo mad right now!!!

Does she think people in the south will not hold backyard BBQ parties in lieu of tailgates if there are no college football games?

Quote:

Open those stadiums, play those games and who knows what will happen. You can take all the precautions in the world but then a person tailgating because the school president is allowing a game to be played ends up passing the virus to another tailgater who takes it home to a spouse or gives it to a neighbor, and someone gets sick and dies. Or a worker in that stadium infects another worker who wouldn't be there if the school had postponed fall sports.
nein51
Since the "death rate" seems to be slowing to near zero I think most rational people have simply stopped caring all together.
blackie
nein51 said:

Since the "death rate" seems to be slowing to near zero I think most rational people have simply stopped caring all together.
Isn't that the real danger? I guess we'll know in a few weeks.
nein51
blackie said:

nein51 said:

Could be but I dont care how high case counts go.
Jack Bauer
This virus is still serious at least until November 4th.

Gov. Whitmer: Football players, other athletes must mask up, even while competing

Quote:

Michigan high school athletes in football, soccer and volleyball should keep those face coverings handy. They will need to continue wearing them, even during the heat of competition.

That's the latest word from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who on Wednesday signed Executive Order 180, which clarifies mandates on face coverings for organized sports during training, practice and competition.

The new order states that a face covering must be worn at all times by athletes, unless they can maintain 6 feet of social distance.

So those in football, soccer and volleyball -- sports that just returned this week -- will need to wear face coverings at all times. Cross country, golf and tennis can go without masks, if they can stay apart. Swimmers are the only exception to any coverings.
Jacques Strap
Jack Bauer said:

This virus is still serious at least until November 4th.

Gov. Whitmer: Football players, other athletes must mask up, even while competing

Quote:

Michigan high school athletes in football, soccer and volleyball should keep those face coverings handy. They will need to continue wearing them, even during the heat of competition.

That's the latest word from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who on Wednesday signed Executive Order 180, which clarifies mandates on face coverings for organized sports during training, practice and competition.

The new order states that a face covering must be worn at all times by athletes, unless they can maintain 6 feet of social distance.

So those in football, soccer and volleyball -- sports that just returned this week -- will need to wear face coverings at all times. Cross country, golf and tennis can go without masks, if they can stay apart. Swimmers are the only exception to any coverings.

I wear a mask because I have to in order to go to the store, but I'm under no illusuon it works very well.

D. C. Bear
How does a kn95 mask do with the smoke?
blackie
nein51 said:

blackie said:

nein51 said:

I'm 71. I care if it causes me less chance to get out because people are irresponsible and get this thing fired up again.
blackie
D. C. Bear said:

Not addressing your question, but relevant, I believe.

Saw a report in the DMN this morning that we now have a shortage of the textile material that is needed to make N95 masks and companies are reluctant to commit the resources and investments that are needed for long-term availability (whether for this virus or the next) because they have no commitment from the government to back them up on it to create things that for which the ongoing demand is limited.

While it is not the government's responsibility to keep companies in business, it is the government's responsibility to insure that supplies needed in a pandemic (and those that may follow in the years ahead) are there when we need them. If nobody can afford to make them because the usual market for normal times is just that, we are failing again in being prepared. The stocks of supplies won't be there when we need them again.
Jacques Strap
D. C. Bear said:

https://www.clark.wa.gov/sites/default/files/dept/files/public-health/wildfire%20smoke/DOH_Wildfire_Smoke_Face_Masks_Factsheet.pdf
4th and Inches
D. C. Bear said:

you will probably get a lung full ... try it with your smoker.
Jack Bauer
Bus driving practice??

nein51
blackie said:

nein51 said:

blackie said:

nein51 said:

I'm 71. I care if it causes me less chance to get out because people are irresponsible and get this thing fired up again.
Case counts without mortality are completely irrelevant. Just MO.
Jacques Strap
FLORIDA
Resident Deaths by Date of Death
9/11/20: 5*
9/12/20: 2*

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

*The Deaths by Day chart shows the total number of Florida residents with confirmed COVID-19 that died on each calendar day (12:00 AM - 11:59 PM). Death data often has significant delays in reporting, so data within the past two weeks will be updated frequently.
Baylor3216
Checks in on Sweden (because lefties say they had an abortion of a response)

Yep. Still crushing it. Praying for no spike from 0. This seems to only kill Americans in large percentages. Must have mutated here (and for worse and all the google epidemiologists know it gets stronger when it mutates).

Praying daily and often hourly for earth and also all my legions of loved ones through blood relation
Florda_mike
blackie said:

D. C. Bear said:

Not addressing your question, but relevant, I believe.

Saw a report in the DMN this morning that we now have a shortage of the textile material that is needed to make N95 masks and companies are reluctant to commit the resources and investments that are needed for long-term availability (whether for this virus or the next) because they have no commitment from the government to back them up on it to create things that for which the ongoing demand is limited.

While it is not the government's responsibility to keep companies in business, it is the government's responsibility to insure that supplies needed in a pandemic (and those that may follow in the years ahead) are there when we need them. If nobody can afford to make them because the usual market for normal times is just that, we are failing again in being prepared. The stocks of supplies won't be there when we need them again.

Do you not realize the demand(or manufactured demand) for masks is drying up and so to create more supply is just plain dumb? In the business world the rumor for mask requirements today, has to do with an oversupply of mask inventories needing to dry up. And an oversupply of mask inventories is what you suggest??? Do you understand that? Our military is the grossest example of government enabled oversupply on the planet and has led to corrupt politicians on the right, galore! They hate Trump for slowing their corruption in military funding

This is how business naturally(organically is our word of the day) works and business doesn't operate well with such government regulations as you suggest

We geared up to meet demands for masks just fine for this manufactured mask demand market and we'll do just fine next time there's a manufactured crisis in meeting that market demand! That's Business 101 frankly!

To create mass mask manufacturing now would lead to wasteful inventory storage, hence wasted money

Again, that's just not how true business operates efficiently

You're welcome for the education in Bus 101
Jacques Strap

Unusual Features of the SARS-CoV-2 Genome Suggesting Sophisticated Laboratory Modification Rather Than Natural Evolution and Delineation of Its Probable Synthetic Route
Booray
nein51 said:

What is "near zero?" Last week Covid caused or contributed to the deaths of 5,196 people in America; about 742 a day. That doesn't strike me as "near zero."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-deaths-united-states-each-day-2020-n1177936
First Page Last Page
Page 119 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.