Coronavirus updates here

431,297 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

I could not tell from the article whether they were saying excess deaths for the most recent time period were down 14% of a normal time period (ie we were having "negative excess deaths") or were down 14% from what the CDC had predicted (ie still having excess deaths, just not as many).
14% below the threshold at which they're considered excess, i.e. no excess deaths in the most recent time period. It may or may not mean they're below normal, as this chart isn't designed to track that.
Isn't normal by definition no excess deaths?
Normal is no excess and no deficit. It's a range of estimates rather than an exact number. This particular chart uses an estimate near the top of the range in order to yield a conservative count of excess deaths. That's why most of the bars are below the line. It doesn't set any threshold for deficits, so there's no way to tell whether it's at or below the normal range.
Sam Lowry
Gruvin said:

Booray said:

I could not tell from the article whether they were saying excess deaths for the most recent time period were down 14% of a normal time period (ie we were having "negative excess deaths") or were down 14% from what the CDC had predicted (ie still having excess deaths, just not as many).
we are below the predictive curve aka negative excess deaths for the time period. If O remember correctly, 2020 originally predicted about 2.94 million deaths
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but we're obviously way above the line for the year to date. There would have to be an incredible deficit in the next few months in order for that to change.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Booray said:

we are below the predictive curve aka negative excess deaths for the time period. If O remember correctly, 2020 originally predicted about 2.94 million deaths
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but we're obviously way above the line for the year to date. There would have to be an incredible deficit in the next few months in order for that to change.
the predictive model curves upward in the winter. We were over predictive normal in spring and summer but we will probably drop below as we roll into winter. I dont expect a full balance of all the excess deaths but i do expect us to run under the predictive line. The total predictive death for all causes was 2.94 million. Covid was not part of that calculation. If we get to 3.0 million deaths at the end of the year then the true excess would be about 60k for example...
Sam Lowry
Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Booray said:

the predictive model curves upward in the winter. We were over predictive normal in spring and summer but we will probably drop below as we roll into winter. I dont expect a full balance of all the excess deaths but i do expect us to run under the predictive line. The total predictive death for all causes was 2.94 million. Covid was not part of that calculation. If we get to 3.0 million deaths at the end of the year then the true excess would be about 60k for example...
Why would deaths be lower than normal in winter?
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Booray said:

Why would we run below the line in winter?
the predictive line moves up by nature and there are researchers saying we clocked some of our winter deaths already during the covid pandemic. Basically, people that would have died over this winter died early...
Sam Lowry
Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Booray said:

Why would we run below the line in winter?
the predictive line moves up by nature and there are researchers saying we clocked some of our winter deaths already during the covid pandemic. Basically, people that would have died over this winter died early...
Probably won't make much difference since the average loss of life expectancy from covid is about 11 years. It will take a while to balance out even if the models suddenly prove wrong and we don't see a bigger spike this fall.
Jacques Strap
https://www.newsnationnow.com/health/coronavirus/britain-threatens-second-lockdown-heavy-fines-as-nation-faces-covid-19-tipping-point/

Britain threatens second lockdown, heavy fines as nation faces COVID-19 'tipping point'

Quote:

Johnson announced fines of up to 10,000 pounds ($12,900) on Saturday for people in England who break new rules requiring them to self-isolate if they have been in contact with someone infected with COVID-19.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2020/09/17/texas-eases-coronavirus-restrictions-following-drop-in-new-cases-but-numbers-still-remain-high/#4f759486395b

Texas Eases Coronavirus Restrictions Following Drop In New Cases, But Numbers Still Remain High

Quote:

Texas will allow restaurants, stores, and other businesses to expand their capacity starting next week, Governor Greg Abbott announced Thursday following a decline in new coronavirus cases, but it remains one of the nation's hardest-hit states.
The "hardest-hit states" is a bit unfair because while Texas is 2nd in total cases the state is only slightly over the national average for deaths per 100,000 and the hospitals in Texas were never overwhelmed.
Deaths per 100,000
USA 49.6
https://www.statista.com/chart/21170/coronavirus-death-rate-worldwide/
Texas 52
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

From a total cases standpoint Texas is 2nd to only California, but total cases in isolation is a poor way to judge a state while ignoring business activity, current level of restrictions, school openings, hospitalization levels and deaths per 100,000. JMO.
quash
Open the ****ing bars Abbott. Citizens are on notice of the consequences.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Jacques Strap
quash said:

Open the ****ing bars Abbott. Citizens are on notice of the consequences.
I think they opened last Monday the 14th in Florida.Texas seems to be following Florida's lead.

Bars will be limited to 50% capacity starting Monday
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/09/10/bars-across-florida-will-be-allowed-to-reopen-on-monday/
cinque
We're a long way from containing the COVID spread by denying that ship a right to dock in California.
We'll eclipse 300,000 by the end of the year.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Jacques Strap
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

I'm concerned that we don't know if the numbers coming from China are accurate. China does seem to be taking pretty dramatic measures in attempt to stop the spread. That is reassuring and also kind of scary. If their numbers are accurate, the mortality rate doesn't seem too high. I have heard some people say corona virus tends to dissipate in the spring. So we can hope for that.
The Chinese lie about everything.

Chinese businessmen are notorious for not fulfilling their obligations after saying they will to your face.

Integrity and honesty is not part of their culture like English common law is, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are downplaying this thing.
come on Doc. Mr. Trumps said Xi and China were being transparent!!! Multiple times.
4th and Inches
riflebear
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

I'm concerned that we don't know if the numbers coming from China are accurate. China does seem to be taking pretty dramatic measures in attempt to stop the spread. That is reassuring and also kind of scary. If their numbers are accurate, the mortality rate doesn't seem too high. I have heard some people say corona virus tends to dissipate in the spring. So we can hope for that.

Chinese businessmen are notorious for not fulfilling their obligations after saying they will to your face.

Integrity and honesty is not part of their culture like English common law is, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are downplaying this thing.
come on Doc. Mr. Trumps said Xi and China were being transparent!!! Multiple times.
Everyone did - why would anyone think a country would lie about a global pandemic. Trump listened to scientists and the WHO and it cost the world a heavy price we'll be paying for a long time. Remember the Chinese told the WHO it was not being transferred from human to human contact. Why would anyone not believe the WHO at that time?
Sam Lowry
riflebear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

Everyone did - why would anyone think a country would lie about a global pandemic. Trump listened to scientists and the WHO and it cost the world a heavy price we'll be paying for a long time. Remember the Chinese told the WHO it was not being transferred from human to human contact. Why would anyone not believe the WHO at that time?
Because someone was supposed to be a competent president with an effective intelligence apparatus.
Jacques Strap
https://theohiostar.com/2020/09/20/commentary-nyu-prof-says-more-than-20-percent-of-universities-could-fail-because-of-the-lockdowns/

Commentary: NYU Prof Says More Than 20 Percent of Universities Could Fail Because of the Lockdowns

Quote:

In examining some 442 US universities, Galloway estimates that more than 20 percent could fail because of the lockdowns, and that another 30 percent will struggle to remain open. That's 50 percent of US colleges and universities at very serious (or mortal) risk.
Jacques Strap
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/09/18/science.abd6165?utm_campaign=fr_sci_2020-09-21&et_rid=687438071&et_cid=3488864

COVID-19 in children and young people

Children have a low risk of COVID-19 and are disproportionately harmed by precautions

Quote:

The role of children in transmission of SARS-CoV-2 remains unclear; however, existing evidence points to educational settings playing only a limited role in transmission when mitigation measures are in place, in marked contrast to other respiratory viruses. In the event of seemingly inevitable future waves of COVID-19, there is likely to be further pressures to close schools. There is now an evidence base on which to make decisions, and school closure should be undertaken with trepidation given the indirect harms that they incur. Pandemic mitigation measures that affect children's wellbeing should only happen if evidence exists that they help because there is plenty of evidence that they do harm.

Robert Wilson
Jacques Strap said:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/09/18/science.abd6165?utm_campaign=fr_sci_2020-09-21&et_rid=687438071&et_cid=3488864

Children have a low risk of COVID-19 and are disproportionately harmed by precautions

Quote:

The role of children in transmission of SARS-CoV-2 remains unclear; however, existing evidence points to educational settings playing only a limited role in transmission when mitigation measures are in place, in marked contrast to other respiratory viruses. In the event of seemingly inevitable future waves of COVID-19, there is likely to be further pressures to close schools. There is now an evidence base on which to make decisions, and school closure should be undertaken with trepidation given the indirect harms that they incur. Pandemic mitigation measures that affect children's wellbeing should only happen if evidence exists that they help because there is plenty of evidence that they do harm.

This falls under the category of "no ****, Sherlock."

This pandemic mitigation strategy of wholesale lockdowns will be looked back upon as not only unnecessary economic seppuku and a shocking violation of basic civil rights but also an utterly selfish maneuver of upper middle class and upper class middle aged and folks against the young and the working class.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

This pandemic mitigation strategy of wholesale lockdowns will be looked back upon as not only unnecessary economic seppuku and a shocking violation of basic civil rights but also an utterly selfish maneuver of upper middle class and upper class middle aged and folks against the young and the working class.
The working class will remember it that way because that's what they chose to make it. Instead of accepting reasonable public health measures and demanding the economic assistance they deserved, they wallowed in self-pitying fantasies and made believe we could all libertarian our way out of this if the evil scientists would just go away. And when a worse pandemic comes along we'll be less prepared as a result.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

The working class will remember it that way because that's what they chose to make it. Instead of accepting reasonable public health measures and demanding the economic assistance they deserved, they wallowed in self-pitying fantasies and made believe we could all libertarian our way out of this if the evil scientists would just go away. And when a worse pandemic comes along we'll be less prepared as a result.

How are your rain dancers doing? Making you feel better at least?
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

It's no surprise if scientists and shamans command roughly equal respect here.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

Anything cloaked as science is the new social religion, and on many fronts they are of the same value as shaman, except they can do more damage than a rain dance when we hand them the reins to an entire society.

I'm particularly amused by your notion that handing out big welfare checks is an offset to taking away peoples' freedom and livelihoods. Congrats on swallowing statism hook line and sinker.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

Anything cloaked as science is the new social religion, and on many fronts they are of the same value as shaman, except they can do more damage than a rain dance when we hand them the reins to an entire society.

I'm particularly amused by your notion that handing out big welfare checks is an offset to taking away peoples' freedom and livelihoods. Congrats on swallowing statism hook line and sinker.
It's no more statist than funding a war. The difference is that wars play better on TV than respiratory illnesses, so it's a lot easier to convince people they exist.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

It's no more statist than funding a war. The difference is that wars play better on TV than respiratory illnesses, so it's a lot easier to convince people they exist.
I of course did not say that the respiratory illness doesn't exist. But, similar to some of our recent wars, our overreaching state interventionism caused more problems than it solved. Good analogy. This could be the beginning of a treatise on iatrogenics.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

I of course did not say that the respiratory illness doesn't exist. But, similar to some of our recent wars, our overreaching state interventionism caused more problems than it solved. Good analogy. This could be the beginning of a treatise on iatrogenics.
It's hard to call it interventionism when the enemy hits your home shores.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

You're being intentionally obtuse now. You know that wasn't the interventionism.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

You're being intentionally obtuse now. You know that wasn't the interventionism.
That's the problem with your take on the analogy. You're conflating the origin of a war with the manner of its prosecution.

We didn't go looking for this, but we should be in it to win it.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

That's the problem with your take on the analogy. You're conflating the origin of a war with the manner of its prosecution.

You brought up the war analogy - not me. It's not on all fours - no analogies are. But the interventionism (here, lockdowns of all people, including healthy young people and shutting down businesses) creating more damage than it does positives holds, as it does in many large scale government interventions.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

You brought up the war analogy - not me. It's not on all fours - no analogies are. But the interventionism (here, lockdowns of all people, including healthy young people and shutting down businesses) creating more damage than it does positives holds, as it does in many large scale government interventions.
That's debatable, but it's better than the statism argument. Certainly some wars do more harm than good. That doesn't mean the expenditure of public funds or the loss of freedom through conscription and rationing are inherently statist. The same holds true for quarantines and other methods of fighting a pandemic. Both are national security situations requiring unusual, and temporary, measures. The basic disagreement is whether such a situation now exists.

Which again goes back to the science.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

That's debatable, but it's better than the statism argument. Certainly some wars do more harm than good. That doesn't mean the expenditure of public funds or the loss of freedom through conscription and rationing are inherently statist. The same holds true for quarantines and other methods of fighting a pandemic. Both are national security situations requiring unusual, and temporary, measures. The basic disagreement is whether such a situation now exists.

You've bitten off on both an inherent trust in heavy state action (supported by #science which requires about as much faith as watching your old local shaman throw down his rain dance) and the justification that all the damage wrought by the state action is sufficiently balmed by some welfare. None of this has been more than a fear-driven hail mary. But the chattering classes were all about it because they were largely shielded from the costs, which fell heavily on working classes and the young. That does remind you of war, doesn't it?
Oldbear83
Funny, how some here use the phrase "the science" with the reverence one usually sees in FLDS cults.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Robert Wilson
Oldbear83 said:

Funny, how some here use the phrase "the science" with the reverence one usually sees in FLDS cults.
"Follow the science" right off a cliff. As long as you call it science. And show someone a line graph or a bar graph while you do it. Maybe throw out a D degree or two.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

You've bitten off on both an inherent trust in heavy state action (supported by #science which requires about as much faith as watching your old local shaman throw down his rain dance) and the justification that all the damage wrought by the state action is sufficiently balmed by some welfare. None of this has been more than a fear-driven hail mary. But the chattering classes were all about it because they were largely shielded from the costs, which fell heavily on working classes and the young. That does remind you of war, doesn't it?
I'm inherently quite distrustful of heavy state action. It's why I never vote Democratic, and only occasionally Republican. I'm just not under any illusion that libertarian sentiments are an all-purpose fix for every problem.

Every group of people is foolish in its own way. That includes the chatterers. A particular fault of the working class is its knee-jerk hostility to knowledge, and in this case it served them very poorly. They shouldn't have been made to bear so much of the cost. Unfortunately they couldn't do anything about it because they were too busy arguing that the earth is flat and the flu kills more people.
riflebear
Dems trying to steal the election. 4 swing states they've changed the vote date for 3-14 days after NOv 3rd.

Why don't we just move the election day back 10 days? They wanted mail in voting so people could vote, now that's not even enough?

Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

I'm inherently quite distrustful of heavy state action. It's why I never vote Democratic, and only occasionally Republican. I'm just not under any illusion that libertarian sentiments are an all-purpose fix for every problem.

Every group of people is foolish in its own way. That includes the chatterers. A particular fault of the working class is its knee-jerk hostility to knowledge, and in this case it served them very poorly. They shouldn't have been made to bear so much of the cost. Unfortunately they couldn't do anything about it because they were too busy arguing that the earth is flat and the flu kills more people.
You must be kidding. They were forced to bear the cost because of how various people were naturally situated. They were in the positions that bore the brunt. The white collar (like me) skated because of where we sit in society, the fact that we could work from home, run our businesses remotely, easily benefit from PPP loans in spots, etc. Middle aged and older people by and large didn't miss much sitting in nice houses ordering takeout and from amazon. Younger people got screwed out of all kinds of experiences, and the working class took it on the nose because their jobs and small businesses require person to person contact. It had nothing to do with who believed what. That's preposterous, disingenuous, and frankly borderline mean spirited. The policymakers did what they did, and the chips fell where they fell. As it sits, the stats do not that hardcore lockdown areas on the whole fared better than areas that did not follow that path. It was panic-based heavy handed government intervention. It was not based on good science. It was based on seat-of-your-pants panic. Classic case study in iatrogenics.
First Page Last Page
Page 121 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.