Coronavirus updates here

431,210 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jacques Strap said:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/09/18/science.abd6165?utm_campaign=fr_sci_2020-09-21&et_rid=687438071&et_cid=3488864

COVID-19 in children and young people

Children have a low risk of COVID-19 and are disproportionately harmed by precautions

Quote:

The role of children in transmission of SARS-CoV-2 remains unclear; however, existing evidence points to educational settings playing only a limited role in transmission when mitigation measures are in place, in marked contrast to other respiratory viruses. In the event of seemingly inevitable future waves of COVID-19, there is likely to be further pressures to close schools. There is now an evidence base on which to make decisions, and school closure should be undertaken with trepidation given the indirect harms that they incur. Pandemic mitigation measures that affect children's wellbeing should only happen if evidence exists that they help because there is plenty of evidence that they do harm.

This falls under the category of "no ****, Sherlock."

This pandemic mitigation strategy of wholesale lockdowns will be looked back upon as not only unnecessary economic seppuku and a shocking violation of basic civil rights but also an utterly selfish maneuver of upper middle class and upper class middle aged and folks against the young and the working class.
The working class will remember it that way because that's what they chose to make it. Instead of accepting reasonable public health measures and demanding the economic assistance they deserved, they wallowed in self-pitying fantasies and made believe we could all libertarian our way out of this if the evil scientists would just go away. And when a worse pandemic comes along we'll be less prepared as a result.

How are your rain dancers doing? Making you feel better at least?
It's no surprise if scientists and shamans command roughly equal respect here.
Anything cloaked as science is the new social religion, and on many fronts they are of the same value as shaman, except they can do more damage than a rain dance when we hand them the reins to an entire society.

I'm particularly amused by your notion that handing out big welfare checks is an offset to taking away peoples' freedom and livelihoods. Congrats on swallowing statism hook line and sinker.
It's no more statist than funding a war. The difference is that wars play better on TV than respiratory illnesses, so it's a lot easier to convince people they exist.
I of course did not say that the respiratory illness doesn't exist. But, similar to some of our recent wars, our overreaching state interventionism caused more problems than it solved. Good analogy. This could be the beginning of a treatise on iatrogenics.
It's hard to call it interventionism when the enemy hits your home shores.
You're being intentionally obtuse now. You know that wasn't the interventionism.
That's the problem with your take on the analogy. You're conflating the origin of a war with the manner of its prosecution.

We didn't go looking for this, but we should be in it to win it.
You brought up the war analogy - not me. It's not on all fours - no analogies are. But the interventionism (here, lockdowns of all people, including healthy young people and shutting down businesses) creating more damage than it does positives holds, as it does in many large scale government interventions.
That's debatable, but it's better than the statism argument. Certainly some wars do more harm than good. That doesn't mean the expenditure of public funds or the loss of freedom through conscription and rationing are inherently statist. The same holds true for quarantines and other methods of fighting a pandemic. Both are national security situations requiring unusual, and temporary, measures. The basic disagreement is whether such a situation now exists.

Which again goes back to the science.
You've bitten off on both an inherent trust in heavy state action (supported by #science which requires about as much faith as watching your old local shaman throw down his rain dance) and the justification that all the damage wrought by the state action is sufficiently balmed by some welfare. None of this has been more than a fear-driven hail mary. But the chattering classes were all about it because they were largely shielded from the costs, which fell heavily on working classes and the young. That does remind you of war, doesn't it?
I'm inherently quite distrustful of heavy state action. It's why I never vote Democratic, and only occasionally Republican. I'm just not under any illusion that libertarian sentiments are an all-purpose fix for every problem.

Every group of people is foolish in its own way. That includes the chatterers. A particular fault of the working class is its knee-jerk hostility to knowledge, and in this case it served them very poorly. They shouldn't have been made to bear so much of the cost. Unfortunately they couldn't do anything about it because they were too busy arguing that the earth is flat and the flu kills more people.
You must be kidding. They were forced to bear the cost because of how various people were naturally situated. They were in the positions that bore the brunt. The white collar (like me) skated because of where we sit in society, the fact that we could work from home, run our businesses remotely, easily benefit from PPP loans in spots, etc. Middle aged and older people by and large didn't miss much sitting in nice houses ordering takeout and from amazon. Younger people got screwed out of all kinds of experiences, and the working class took it on the nose because their jobs and small businesses require person to person contact. It had nothing to do with who believed what. That's preposterous, disingenuous, and frankly borderline mean spirited. The policymakers did what they did, and the chips fell where they fell. As it sits, the stats do not that hardcore lockdown areas on the whole fared better than areas that did not follow that path. It was panic-based heavy handed government intervention. It was not based on good science. It was based on seat-of-your-pants panic. Classic case study in iatrogenics.
What I'm saying is that they should have demanded and received more assistance. Of course they were going to be hit harder because of the way they were situated. That's what conservatives used to call responsibility for one's own choices. In fact, the sudden outrage on behalf of the poor seems as much a once-in-a-lifetime event as the pandemic itself.

The science has been debated as much as it can be. Few people understand why the lockdowns happened or what they were meant to accomplish. They were never expected to control the outbreak in the long term. They were only buying time for preparation, which for the most part wasn't done. We're starting to see the results now with things like shortages of testing reagents. At this point it's probably too late to track cases timely and accurately through the fall, which I suppose is good news for Trump and his crew.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

What I'm saying is that they should have demanded and received more assistance. Of course they were going to be hit harder because of the way they were situated. That's what conservatives used to call responsibility for one's own choices.
To say they should have taken responsibility by asking for more government handouts is so far down the rabbit hole of statism, and so contrary to the fundamental beliefs of many Americans (or at least it used to be), that I can't even take it seriously. You should go read The Time It Never Rained to get a feel for the historic counterpoint. To then say they are personally responsible because they lived their lives in a way that they were fragile to a massive government interventionist shutdown of society is also so far down the rabbit hole of statism that it makes my head hurt. I'm going to go ahead and check out of this conversation before I lose more faith in humanity.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

What I'm saying is that they should have demanded and received more assistance. Of course they were going to be hit harder because of the way they were situated. That's what conservatives used to call responsibility for one's own choices.
To say they should have taken responsibility by asking for more government handouts is so far down the rabbit hole of statism, and so contrary to the fundamental beliefs of many Americans (or at least it used to be), that I can't even take it seriously. You should go read The Time It Never Rained to get a feel for the historic counterpoint. To then say they are personally responsible because they lived their lives in a way that they were fragile to a massive government interventionist shutdown of society is also so far down the rabbit hole of statism that it makes my head hurt. I'm going to go ahead and check out of this conversation before I lose more faith in humanity.
Sorry, I keep forgetting some of y'all get to live in a world where pandemics don't cause economic destruction on their own. Wish I could join you away above the chimney tops, I really do.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Sorry, I keep forgetting some of y'all get to live in a world where pandemics don't cause economic destruction on their own. Wish I could join you away above the chimney tops, I really do.
Sorry. They cause some. We can certainly cause more.
Jacques Strap
They can provide guidance, and I can ignore it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-22/cdc-recommends-big-changes-to-holiday-celebrations-to-curb-virus?srnd=premium

CDC Recommends Big Changes to Holiday Celebrations to Curb Virus

Quote:

Virtual gatherings or those that involve one's immediate household are low-risk, the agency said in a posting Monday. If people do gather in person for Christmas and other holidays, the CDC recommends doing so outdoors, keeping groups small, using measures like mask-wearing and social distancing, and considering local virus conditions as well as where attendees are coming from.
Baylor3216
Jacques Strap said:

They can provide guidance, and I can ignore it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-22/cdc-recommends-big-changes-to-holiday-celebrations-to-curb-virus?srnd=premium

CDC Recommends Big Changes to Holiday Celebrations to Curb Virus

Quote:

Virtual gatherings or those that involve one's immediate household are low-risk, the agency said in a posting Monday. If people do gather in person for Christmas and other holidays, the CDC recommends doing so outdoors, keeping groups small, using measures like mask-wearing and social distancing, and considering local virus conditions as well as where attendees are coming from.

Sorry Mom and Dad. I'll catch y'all on zoom. CDC said so
Florda_mike
riflebear said:

Dems trying to steal the election. 4 swing states they've changed the vote date for 3-14 days after NOv 3rd.

Why don't we just move the election day back 10 days? They wanted mail in voting so people could vote, now that's not even enough?

That makes vote fraud by democrats the determining factors in North Carolina and 3 other swing states now. Democrats know they can't win otherwise so we get various cheating tactics legalized

There will be massive chaos, hopefully from Trump voters, when the presidency is stolen from Trump. We can't allow them to steal away our country

There'll be idiot democrats here criticizing this
Jacques Strap
Shelby County Tennessee (Memphis) schools remain closed.

Shelby County bar owners given greenlight to reopen

I'm a bit afraid to google "hookah lounges"

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/local/shelby-county-bar-owners-given-greenlight-reopen/KAXB35N3EVBGDK44EW5BXAG3KI/?fbclid=IwAR2rpe5xdSWphQv_GM6h_W4SVw99-P0FHlQ4WA85h5a5TEdBWSMUG9XtH48

While other parts of the country experienced a surge in COVID-19 cases because of Labor Day, schools reopening and sports resuming, that is not the case in Shelby County.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/17011/health-department-health-directive-restaurants-bars?fbclid=IwAR3H2P0-9CgZdxpEDIEZr5FuPypQNXWCtAq0nyxtNUwl6sgRbF43srVnV_c

"Full service restaurants, limited service restaurants, bars, clubs, taprooms, hookah lounges, cigar lounges, we encourage you to adhere to statewide guidelines and following restrictions," said health officer Dr. Bruce Randolph.
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/09/22/just-1-of-us-counties-have-had-nearly-half-of-all-covid-19-deaths/

Just 1% of US Counties Have Had Nearly Half of All COVID-19 Deaths

Quote:

For instance, as of Sept. 15, the 30 counties with the most COVID-19 deaths accounted for 26% of all the cases in the U.S. and 40% of all deaths, much greater than those counties' share of the population (18.4%). That is, just 1% of the counties in the U.S., representing just over 18% of the population, are responsible for almost half of the country's COVID-19 deaths.

4th and Inches
Jacques Strap said:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/09/22/just-1-of-us-counties-have-had-nearly-half-of-all-covid-19-deaths/

Quote:

For instance, as of Sept. 15, the 30 counties with the most COVID-19 deaths accounted for 26% of all the cases in the U.S. and 40% of all deaths, much greater than those counties' share of the population (18.4%). That is, just 1% of the counties in the U.S., representing just over 18% of the population, are responsible for almost half of the country's COVID-19 deaths.

so lock down the whole nation! #amIright?!
contrario
Jacques Strap said:

Quote:

Imagine if those counties were in Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan or North Dakota instead of the northeast. Do you think we would still have the shutdowns we did have?
contrario
Jacques Strap said:

Shelby County Tennessee (Memphis) schools remain closed.

Shelby County bar owners given greenlight to reopen

I'm a bit afraid to google "hookah lounges"

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/local/shelby-county-bar-owners-given-greenlight-reopen/KAXB35N3EVBGDK44EW5BXAG3KI/?fbclid=IwAR2rpe5xdSWphQv_GM6h_W4SVw99-P0FHlQ4WA85h5a5TEdBWSMUG9XtH48

While other parts of the country experienced a surge in COVID-19 cases because of Labor Day, schools reopening and sports resuming, that is not the case in Shelby County.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/17011/health-department-health-directive-restaurants-bars?fbclid=IwAR3H2P0-9CgZdxpEDIEZr5FuPypQNXWCtAq0nyxtNUwl6sgRbF43srVnV_c

"Full service restaurants, limited service restaurants, bars, clubs, taprooms, hookah lounges, cigar lounges, we encourage you to adhere to statewide guidelines and following restrictions," said health officer Dr. Bruce Randolph.
You need to get out more
Jacques Strap
Very Interesting.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.21.20198796v1.full.pdf

Dynamic Change of COVID-19 Seroprevalence among Asymptomatic Population in Tokyo during the Second Wave

Abstract Importance: Fatality rates related to COVID-19 in Japan have been low compared to Western Countries and have decreased despite the absence of lockdown. Serological tests monitored across the course of the second wave can provide insights into the population-level prevalence and dynamic patterns of COVID-19 infection. Objective: To assess changes in COVID-19 seroprevalence among asymptomatic employees working in Tokyo during the second wave.

Participants: Healthy volunteers from 1877 employees of a large Japanese company were recruited to the study from 11 disparate locations across Tokyo. Participants having fever, cough, or shortness of breath at the time of testing were excluded.

Results: Six hundred fifteen healthy volunteers (mean + SD 40.8 + 10.0; range 19 - 69; 45.7 % female) received at least one test. Seroprevalence increased from 5.8 % to 46.8 % over the course of the summer. The most dramatic increase in SPR occurred in late June and early July, paralleling the rise in daily confirmed cases within Tokyo,

Conclusions and Relevance: COVID-19 infection may have spread widely across the general population of Tokyo despite the very low fatality rate. Given the temporal correlation between the rise in seropositivity and the decrease in reported COVID-19 cases that occurred without a shut-down, herd immunity may be implicated. Sequential testing for serological response against COVID-19 is useful for understanding the dynamics of COVID-19 infection at the population-level.
Robert Wilson
Jacques Strap said:

Very Interesting.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.21.20198796v1.full.pdf

Dynamic Change of COVID-19 Seroprevalence among Asymptomatic Population in Tokyo during the Second Wave

Abstract Importance: Fatality rates related to COVID-19 in Japan have been low compared to Western Countries and have decreased despite the absence of lockdown. Serological tests monitored across the course of the second wave can provide insights into the population-level prevalence and dynamic patterns of COVID-19 infection. Objective: To assess changes in COVID-19 seroprevalence among asymptomatic employees working in Tokyo during the second wave.

Participants: Healthy volunteers from 1877 employees of a large Japanese company were recruited to the study from 11 disparate locations across Tokyo. Participants having fever, cough, or shortness of breath at the time of testing were excluded.

Results: Six hundred fifteen healthy volunteers (mean + SD 40.8 + 10.0; range 19 - 69; 45.7 % female) received at least one test. Seroprevalence increased from 5.8 % to 46.8 % over the course of the summer. The most dramatic increase in SPR occurred in late June and early July, paralleling the rise in daily confirmed cases within Tokyo,

Conclusions and Relevance: COVID-19 infection may have spread widely across the general population of Tokyo despite the very low fatality rate. Given the temporal correlation between the rise in seropositivity and the decrease in reported COVID-19 cases that occurred without a shut-down, herd immunity may be implicated. Sequential testing for serological response against COVID-19 is useful for understanding the dynamics of COVID-19 infection at the population-level.

Yes sir. We are rain dancing.

Be interesting to ever figure out what accounts for a higher % of bad outcomes being reported in different locales. I would expect a combination of (i) obesity and general health (ii) genetic (iii) previous exposure to similar coronaviruses (seems to be a geographic pattern here) and (iv) reporting standards. Probably some other factors that don't occur to me.
Jacques Strap
Can't help but wonder if Houston would have results similar to Tokyo if they had a tracked a group.
(Seroprevalence increased from 5.8 % to 46.8 % over the course of the summer in Tokyo.)

Texas Medical Cener Houston
https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/three-metrics-to-gauge-our-progress-2/

The grey arrows are "last week"

quash
Jacques Strap said:

Seems odd for just one dose given that antibodies don't seem to persist.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
cinque
202,534 and counting.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Osodecentx
quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

I think some vaccines engender a more robust antibody response than others, but I'm just guessing
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

I think some vaccines engender a more robust antibody response than others, but I'm just guessing
If having the disease can't produce permanent antibodies I don't see how a vaccine can change that. Perhaps one of the MRNA types can, also a guess.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Osodecentx
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

If having the disease can't produce permanent antibodies I don't see how a vaccine can change that. Perhaps one of the MRNA types can, also a guess.
That's why they do the trials to gauge response to the vaccines, but I'm in over my head
Jacques Strap
quash
And the other 2/3 eventually.
Jacques Strap
FLORIDA
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-desantis-florida-reopens-20200925-f3sr4wk5tncvvkhwr6ua4pereq-story.html

Florida reopens: DeSantis lifts remaining coronavirus restrictions
SEP 25, 2020 AT 12:19 PM

TALLAHASSEE Bars and restaurants are no longer required to operate at less than full capacity, as Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Friday removing all remaining restrictions on businesses because of the coronavirus pandemic.

But the executive order, which takes effect immediately, also prohibits local governments from closing businesses or collecting fines related to pandemic-related mandates, such as mask requirements.

"We are today moving into what we initially called phase 3," DeSantis said during a press conference in St. Petersburg. "And what that'll mean for the restaurants is there will not be limitations from the state of Florida."

"We're also saying in the state of Florida everybody has a right to work," he added. "(Local governments) can do reasonable regulations but they can't just say no."

There are four major provisions of the order:

1. It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan.

2. It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won't be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns.

3. Local governments won't be able to prevent restaurants from operating at below 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won't be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification.

4. Cities and counties can't collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn't compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine.
blackie
Haven't read all the details, but it sounds like it is getting serious again in the UK......with the prime problem, as usual, the bars (excuse my English....pubs).
Jacques Strap
It's cheap and easy to take a vitamin that has vitamin D and Zinc included. There is plenty of reearch suggesting both have positive impact with respect to COVID.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-zinc-blood-death-patients-covid-.html

Lower zinc levels in the blood are associated with an increased risk of death in patients with COVID-19

Quote:

New research presented at this week's ESCMID Conference on Coronavirus Disease (ECCVID, held online from 23-25 September) shows that having a lower level of zinc in the blood is associated with a poorer outcome in patients with COVID-19. The study is by Dr. Roberto Gerri-Fernndez, Hospital Del Mar, Barcelona, Spain, and colleagues.
Jacques Strap
TexasScientist
What else would you expect from DeSantis. DeSantis is one of the main causal factors for Florida having the 5th highest death rate in the US.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Jacques Strap
Death rates from coronavirus (COVID-19) in the United States (per 100,000 people)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/
---------
#1 NJ 181
#2 NY 170
#3 MA 136
#4 CT 126
#5 LA 117
#15 FL 64

US AVG 62
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

4th and Inches
TexasScientist said:

What else would you expect from DeSantis. DeSantis is one of the main causal factors for Florida having the 5th highest death rate in the US.
dishonesty...
Jacques Strap
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

How did statista get their death rates so wrong?
Jacques Strap
I don't know if this proves "flying is safe" but I do not think it is especially dangerous. I flew on Southwest in September and have reservations in Oct. and Nov. My kids have flown and are geting some unbelievable deals on long weekend vacations. Daughter and her husband have flown 4 times while my son and his wife 3 times. They are in their 20's and healthy in low risk population groups. They looked at the data, looked at the airline prices, made a risk assessment and started flying again. Daughter works in a hospital as a nurse so flying is less risky for her than going to work.

Anyway, make your own risk assessment and do what you want. I'm flying again.

https://www.businessinsider.com/airline-workers-covid-rates-is-flying-safe-2020-9

Quote:

Airline workers have lower rates of COVID-19 than the general population and airline CEOs say it's proof that flying is safe

Flight attendants and other airline workers have lower rates of COVID-19 than the general population, despite spending time in transit and in small, enclosed spaces.

The data suggest that the various safety protocols airlines have adopted during the coronavirus pandemic are effective, according to airline executives and labor groups.

However, that alone likely won't be enough to convince people to start traveling again.
quash
Driving to Colorado in October rather than flying.
Florda_mike
Jacques Strap said:

Death rates from coronavirus (COVID-19) in the United States (per 100,000 people)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/
---------
#1 NJ 181
#2 NY 170
#3 MA 136
#4 CT 126
#5 LA 117
#15 FL 64

US AVG 62
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Those top 5 have democrat governors!

No coincidence
First Page Last Page
Page 122 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.