OU situation

2,943 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pablo Fanque
Justin Kates
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Something to follow...

http://www.oudaily.com/news/ou-black-emergency-response-team-holds-sit-in-at-evans/article_856eaf7a-58a2-11ea-ab84-dbe830a14304.html

Today, I learned that there is such thing as a Black Emergency Response Team (BERT).
-Justin Kates
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
OU needs to be more inclusive? Interesting. I don't think they have near enough white defensive backs on their football team!

And I think Kentucky Fried Chicken Rocks!!!

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Gold Tron
What about content of character rather than color of skin? MLK Jr. would be against many things going on today.
JXL
Giving in to the demands of the radicals worked out so well for the University of Missouri.
BaylorFTW
I am looking into what are the exact claims being made here. One allegation is that racial slurs were used by 2 different professors recently and they are upset that the administration did not reprimand the professors. I then looked into the specific incidents and this is what I found:

The latest incident was with a female history professor:

"During the class, Brosnan was discussing why the U.S. Senate did not want the country to join the League of Nations at the end of World War I, according to multiple students. To emphasize the depth of racism during the 1920s, Brosnan read a quote from former U.S. Senator James Reed, which used the n-word multiple times to describe other countries. Brosnan prefaced using the slur by explaining that the words were not her own and consisted of sensitive material.

"I don't remember the exact quote, but the sentiment was that a U.S. senator said that he didn't want 'n-words' from various African countries to have 'a seat at the table' with the 'mighty United States of America,'" said Devon Alcorn, a senior electrical engineering student who was in the class."

Source: http://www.oudaily.com/news/everybody-was-really-shocked-ou-students-explain-context-when-professor/article_7c79cc04-57fa-11ea-ac8f-43855de709da.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-next

The other use was earlier in the month by a journalism professor:

"Gade was discussing the changes in journalism related to technology and social media and made the point that journalism should stick to its more traditional roots, according to multiple students in the class.
Gade then called on a student who said journalists have to keep up with the younger generations as they continue to change. Gade said the student's comment was the equivalent of saying "OK, boomer" to him.
The class broke into light laughter but was interrupted by Gade's next comment.
"Calling someone a boomer is like calling someone a n-----," Gade said."

Source: http://www.oudaily.com/news/ou-******d-college-professor-uses-racial-slur-during-class-in/article_ddf0496e-4cff-11ea-9e80-fbaf7ab99bc3.html

BaylorFTW

Out of curiosity I was looking at how much multicultural centers could run and am seeing costs of over $15 million and some over $30 million.

Here, is a list of the things they say Harper has done that are unforgiveable and require his resigning in their eyes:

Kyle
Time to start melting the snowflakes.
Bearitto
Hunger strike looks like a fine idea for several of them.

Pro tip: Unless you are a Ghandi style waif, a hunger strike just puts you on par with a high school girl two weeks before prom. You sound ridiculous.
BaylorFTW
I just saw the student group's list of demands. They actually are demanding a Popeye's be put into this elaborate multicultural center they want. That makes me want to believe this is a joke but I see it being posted elsewhere.

Bearitto
A Popeyes'????? Hahaha!!!! So to sum up they want:

A. Separate but equal facilities
B. A tangible piece of evidence that racial stereotypes are accurate
Florda_mike
Discipline them for disturbing peace or kick em out of school if they continue

Nip crap like this in bud or watch it grow

Clowns don't need to be graduate of any college
contrario
Just imagine if a any organization built a "multi-cultural" center and they said, "and to appeal to black people, we have included a Popeye's." To include that in the list of demands is just beyond silly.
bularry
Gade should be reprimanded. The other prof was doing her job

Neither was used as a"slur"
D. C. Bear
bularry said:

Gade should be reprimanded. The other prof was doing her job

Neither was used as a"slur"

Gade shouldn't have used the n-word to make a point, but the professor is correct about journalism, and the student is an idiot.

And, seriously, a Popeye's?
Jack Bauer
Reminds me of the Yale kindergartners up in arms and crying over....Halloween costumes.

ABC BEAR
Bearitto said:

A Popeyes'????? Hahaha!!!! So to sum up they want:

A. Separate but equal facilities
B. A tangible piece of evidence that racial stereotypes are accurate

A return to Plessy v. Ferguson? Now that's Old School.
EatMoreSalmon
For it to be truly multicultural, there would need to be a Bluto's next to the Popeye's. Credit would need to be extended to next Tuesday for all food purchases.
Jack Bauer
Multicultural center- no whites please

Edmond Bear

The hunger strike included eating several boxes of Krispy Kremes overnight. Pics are floating around somewhere.

Booray
Edmond Bear said:

The hunger strike included eating several boxes of Krispy Kremes overnight. Pics are floating around somewhere.

Also saw that Fuzzy's was brought into the "strikers."

Surely Joe Mixon can be the lead donor for the multi-cultural center.
Edmond Bear
Booray said:

Edmond Bear said:

Also saw that Fuzzy's was brought into the "strikers."

Surely Joe Mixon can be the lead donor for the multi-cultural center.

I'm sure there's video of Mixon's donation somewhere.....or maybe it was lost.

BaylorFTW
The BERT sit-in concluded just in time for the weekend as I suspected. Turns out they did not hold out to get all their demands met. Instead, they got:

"According to the BERT statement, the administration committed to the creation of a student advisory council for the provost's office and the regularization of a 360 review process for senior leadership beginning with Senior Vice President and Provost Kyle Harper.

Other demands the administration previously committed to meet included establishing a feasibility for a multicultural center, equity training for faculty and a course on diversity. According to the statement, demands met will be included in the university's strategic framework that will be presented to the OU Board of Regents in March."

Article: http://www.oudaily.com/news/live-updates-ou-black-emergency-response-team-ends-sit-in/article_856eaf7a-58a2-11ea-ab84-dbe830a14304.html

Also, for all the talk, this was a protest of just 50 people.
57Bear
BaylorFTW said:

Also, for all the talk, this was a protest of just 50 people.
50 people and the MSM.
drahthaar
Any statues of Boren?
Pablo Fanque
I don't care what stereotype exists - I'm lily-white and I'd go for a Popeye's on campus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.