How have you changed your life because of the coronavirus if at all?

5,766 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by El Oso
Fire Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My Boys are still out of school so that is kinda a life changer in itself. We are practicing social distancing, being more vigilant about hand washing, and carrying a bottle of hand santizer.

As far as at work, the Dispatch center has a screening criteria when they send us on medical calls and we have enhanced the amount of personal protective equipment we are wearing on any sick call.

The scariest part for me personally is if I or anyone in my crew get exposed to CoVID19 then we will be placed in a mandatory 14 day quarantine. I don't like the idea of not seeing my family for 14 days. That said and like I told my Wife, it is what I signed up for and its the oath I took to serve the public..... and hey, on the bright side 14 days of overtime would be a nice check!

-R
"HE DIDN'T GET IN!! HE DIDN'T GET IN"
- J.J. Joe December 4th 2021

Career Firefighter since 1997
Rabid Fan of Baylor Football since birth
Bearitto
BaylorFTW said:

Have you changed any habits as a result of the virus?
Do you see yourself changing any of your habits in the future as the number of cases increase?

Honestly, I didn't expect to be giving up this much for lent.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

Have you changed any habits as a result of the virus?
Do you see yourself changing any of your habits in the future as the number of cases increase?

Honestly, I didn't expect to be giving up this much for lent.

My left nut is gone. I am holding on tightly to my right one. All the while not expecting the U.S. government to rescue me.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Bearitto
Hey hey!!! A very small group of elderly sick people could die. Therefore it is our responsibility to quarantine ALL healthy people with no real chance of long term issues and destroy our economy. Stop whining and get back in your box...with your kids...who are going crazy...and wipe yourself with an old Sears catalogue.

Buddha Bear
Bearitto said:

Hey hey!!! A very small group of elderly sick people could die. Therefore it is our responsibility to quarantine ALL healthy people with no real chance of long term issues and destroy our economy. Stop whining and get back in your box...with your kids...who are going crazy...and wipe yourself with an old Sears catalogue.

I bet you were grandma's favorite.
Bearitto
Buddha Bear said:

Bearitto said:

I was, thanks. And if she were alive, that hard ass Texas mother would tell you to get back to work, stop being a pansy (she'd use another word) and quit yer yappin'.

See she wasn't selfish. She wouldn't (and didn't) expect the world to stop moving because she could get sick. She was a grown up.
Buddha Bear
Bearitto said:

Buddha Bear said:

Bearitto said:

I was, thanks. And if she were alive, that hard ass Texas mother would tell you to get back to work, stop being a pansy (she'd use another word) and quit yer yappin'.

See she wasn't selfish. She wouldn't (and didn't) expect the world to stop moving because she could get sick. She was a grown up.
I don't think a lot of old people are expecting the world to stop just for them.

I think younger generations are just worried about their family members, and are willing to sacrifice money and freedoms to keep their older loved ones around just a little bit longer. It's human nature.

Bearitto
Buddha Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Buddha Bear said:

Bearitto said:

I don't think a lot of old people are expecting the world to stop just for them.

I think younger generations are just worried about their family members, and are willing to sacrifice money and freedoms to keep their older loved ones around just a little bit longer. It's human nature.

People do foolish things when they don't think about the consequences. Even more foolish when motivated by fear and uncertainty and emotion. This isn't about money or freedom, as much as the pearl clutching class claim it is. It's about life and living.

Life isn't about just existing. Life isn't about functioning prophylactically. Life isn't about delaying death. Life is only about living.

We are talking about destroying the means by which we feed, cloth and house ourselves. We are shutting down society and pretending social media will be a suitable substitute.

Three quotes come to mind:

"None of us is as dumb as all of us"
"A person is smart. People are dumb"

Those two quotes are comical but simply truisms.

"Those who try to gain their own life will lose it; but those who lose their life for my sake will gain it."

This quote, coupled with the story of the talents, basically means that if you are trying to live your life in an effort to "not lose", you've already lost. Live.
contrario
Bearitto said:

Buddha Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Buddha Bear said:

Bearitto said:

People do foolish things when they don't think about the consequences. Even more foolish when motivated by fear and uncertainty and emotion. This isn't about money or freedom, as much as the pearl clutching class claim it is. It's about life and living.

Life isn't about just existing. Life isn't about functioning prophylactically. Life isn't about delaying death. Life is only about living.

We are talking about destroying the means by which we feed, cloth and house ourselves. We are shutting down society and pretending social media will be a suitable substitute.

Three quotes come to mind:

"None of us is as dumb as all of us"
"A person is smart. People are dumb"

Those two quotes are comical but simply truisms.

"Those who try to gain their own life will lose it; but those who lose their life for my sake will gain it."

This quote, coupled with the story of the talents, basically means that if you are trying to live your life in an effort to "not lose", you've already lost. Live.
The ones not worrying about the economic fallout from this will be the first ones to blame someone else when the economy struggles from this. And it will, for a long time. If you think raising the interest rate a few basis points which caused some people to default on their interest only adjustable rate mortgage was bad, you haven't seen anything yet. Billions or even trillions of dollars of lost productivity per day will be realized by the economy and it isn't going to be pretty.
El Oso
Three weeks in and no real changes.

Back to weekly grocery shopping now that week 3 has started and grocery stores aren't as empty as they were.

Eat out at least once a week to support a local restaurant. Cane's on the agenda for later this week since their CEO said no terminations, no pay reductions for his employees. We will still hit our Wednesday pizza place and bring it home.

We do school in the morning. It's amazing how fast two kids can learn when there are no distractions in the room. We do PE as a daily 2-3 mile walk on some fairly deserted streets. Starting to see more walkers as we are out, but one party usually crosses a street if possible to maintain distance.

We watch a lot more tv or play on the Internet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.