Reopen the Economy???

20,493 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jupiter
jupiter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorOkie
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Waco1947 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Easy for those that can sit at the house and still draw their pension/income get all righteous about those that have to work to get paid.
This a thousand times repeated. Hopefully there will be a ton of job openings and young generation can get better jobs in the recovery.

My caveat however is Waco47 is so ****ing political he doesn't really care. He just wants everyone to be as miserable as he/she/it.
How is it you think you know that I don't care care? You have no proof. You are a citizen responsible for other citizens as they are for you. The vulnerable citizens in our midst cannot be abandoned.
Remind my sometime to tell you story of the little boy and the wooden spoon.
You're about as coherent as Biden
That's kinda mean towards ole Joe, no?
bear2be2
Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

45 is willing to sacrifice the most vulnerable citizens on behalf of Wall Street. Shame on him. He has, at, no decency
You do realize Gov Cuomo and many other Dems are saying the same thing as Trump.

Those may not be our desires, but they are the likeliest outcomes. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Like it or not, you can prioritize the nation's health or its economy. You can't choose both and selecting one jeopardizes the other. Sadly, it really is that simple.
You are begging the question "How can 45 'open the economy?'"
I'm not responding to your OP, so 'opening the economy' is irrelevant to my post. I'm responding to the posted Tweet that pushes back against the notion that we're choosing the economy or old people. Unfortunately, that's exactly what we're doing in this lose-lose situation. If you choose to prioritize the economy, you are jeopardizing the health of our most vulnerable citizens. If you choose health, which I view as the only choice, you all but guarantee a recession. There's no good outcome here, but I can't in good conscience choose money over life.
PartyBear
Well Disney and Universal announced they will not be reopening when planned and Orange County is issued a shelter at home order starting tomorrow. Florida btw is about to turn into another NY situation. Again Trump has nothing to do at this point as to when things reopen.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
jupiter said:

So please tell us again how anyone from Chicago or the state of Illinois can lecture anyone on how to keep the lights on? They were broke long before we all went broke. Thank you in advance.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
ATL Bear
If large groups of people can no longer afford basic necessities, you'll see a completely different type of "vulnerable citizen".
Bearitto
ATL Bear said:

If large groups of people can no longer afford basic necessities, you'll see a completely different type of "vulnerable citizen".
I've made that argument for well over a week now and these people are far too emotional to understand the realities they are advocating. There is virtually no rationality left among the "if it stops one death" crowd. Desperation wrought by children crying over hunger is something these people have never seen and will blame on whomever their political opposition is when it gets here (if we don't get off the foolish 100% quarantine train).
contrario
bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

45 is willing to sacrifice the most vulnerable citizens on behalf of Wall Street. Shame on him. He has, at, no decency
You do realize Gov Cuomo and many other Dems are saying the same thing as Trump.

Those may not be our desires, but they are the likeliest outcomes. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Like it or not, you can prioritize the nation's health or its economy. You can't choose both and selecting one jeopardizes the other. Sadly, it really is that simple.
I'm not responding to your OP, so 'opening the economy' is irrelevant to my post. I'm responding to the posted Tweet that pushes back against the notion that we're choosing the economy or old people. Unfortunately, that's exactly what we're doing in this lose-lose situation. If you choose to prioritize the economy, you are jeopardizing the health of our most vulnerable citizens. If you choose health, which I view as the only choice, you all but guarantee a recession. There's no good outcome here, but I can't in good conscience choose money over life.
Every day we keep US roadways open we are choosing money over life. We are saying the 90 people that will die today on US roadways don't matter. Every year 20K - 80K Americans die from the flu, but we haven't shut down the economy before. Were we saying the lives of those 20K-80K didn't matter? I'm not really sure how you can draw a line in the sand this time, but I've never seen you say we should shut down all roads to save thousands of lives per year. I don't remember you saying we need to shut down the world economy for previous flu seasons. Why now? Why is life so important to you now, but it wasn't before?
JXL
riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

They won't be silent at 30 percent unemployment. They'll be demanding to know why Trump didn't fix the economy.
CHP Bear
Waco1947 said:

Friscobear said:

He said that he would like to open up the economy on Easter. He didn't say it would or that any decision had been made.

But go ahead and freak out.
You are begging the question. It is not about freaking out but How does 45 open the economy?
Agree. You read something about opening the economy and then freaked out. Cause/effect
Jack Bauer
Waco47 is expecting a literal ribbon cutting ceremony to OPEN the economy?
PartyBear
contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

Every day we keep US roadways open we are choosing money over life. We are saying the 90 people that will die today on US roadways don't matter. Every year 20K - 80K Americans die from the flu, but we haven't shut down the economy before. Were we saying the lives of those 20K-80K didn't matter? I'm not really sure how you can draw a line in the sand this time, but I've never seen you say we should shut down all roads to save thousands of lives per year. I don't remember you saying we need to shut down the world economy for previous flu seasons. Why now? Why is life so important to you now, but it wasn't before?

I see you still think or want to argue this is just the flu season we have every year. But what you really don't like is free markets here. Adam Smith's invisible hand was taking action and everything was shutting down prior to any public service announcement of 15 days of social distancing on March 13 late afternoon. Again no one told businesses to shut down, no one told universities including Baylor to close. No one told the NBA to stop or cancel the season, no one told the NCAA to cancel everything in college sports, including the lucrative basketball tournament, locally no one told Magnolia to close shop. These were all done in reaction to mishandling the virus and its spread prior to March 13th. State and local govts have taken action since and still are and still will despite the WH saying open up. But make no mistake most of what is happening now economically is actually being done by Adam Smith's invisible hand. The US economy shut itself down. This thing was so mishandled by the administration and still is, the Governors and local leaders need ventilators for example, that it has completely lost control literally over it and responses to it.
Forest Bueller_bf
ATL Bear said:

Yea, the temporary measures being approved do not take the place of a full time job or it's pay. There will be a major catastrophe such as never seen before in this nation, if the economy shuts down for 3-6 months as a poster suggested with a link they provided. The provisions in the Bill being passed is a band aid, nothing more. $600 a month can't sustain a lifestyle income used to $5000 a month. You can only delay forclosure for so long. If taxes aren't getting paid, then the aid money dries up. It is a cycle that I'm afraid way too many people that don't understand, or have degrees in Economic and Finance are ready to get started because they are ignorant to the consequences of such actions.

We can keep the engine shut down for maybe another month. That's it. Six months down the road though, not possible.
George Truett
Waco1947 said:

45 is willing to sacrifice the most vulnerable citizens on behalf of Wall Street. Shame on him. He has, at last, no decency
I don't think this is new info.

Decency has never been in his vocabulary.
Flaming Moderate
Waco1947 said:

45 is willing to sacrifice the most vulnerable citizens on behalf of Wall Street. Shame on him. He has, at last, no decency
So for a consistency check, do you blame President Obama for the 15,000 people who died of H1N1? He took virtually no action and watched 15,000 die.

Yes or no - do you blame Obama and his inaction for those deaths?

I do not. But I do not blame President Trump for Covid-19. I just demand consistency - everything else is just bigotry.
Forest Bueller_bf

Quote:

In a Queens, New York, apartment, a laid-off busboy has no idea if he will make next month's rent or feed his family. An out-of-work waitress in Amsterdam, though, can count on the government to cover 90% of her wages. As a Malaysian florist anxiously burns through her savings, cafe owners in Brussels receive about $4,300 to make up for lost revenue.

Weeks of layoffs and lockdowns have made clear that poor and working-class people will bear a disproportionate share of the pain from the coronavirus pandemic. In cities around the world, work has stopped. Bills have not. And no end is in sight. But the first wave of government rescue packages has exposed another reality: The pain will depend largely on where people live.

The disparity reflects not only the world's differing safety nets but also the contrasting views of a government's role in a crisis. Should it pump cash into the economy? Bail out businesses? Replace lost income for workers? Those questions are at the heart of a protracted debate over a nearly $2 trillion rescue package being negotiated in Washington.

"I don't know what I'm going to do. Oh my God," said Jose Luis Candia, 34, who lost his two jobs busing tables at high-end Manhattan restaurants. His wife gave birth to their third daughter a month ago. Friends have donated money for groceries. He does not know how he will pay rent or what will happen if he cannot.

Half a world away, in Copenhagen, workers in Candia's situation face a different reality. The Danish government has promised to cover 75% to 90% of salaries if businesses do not lay off their employees. Better to pay to keep people employed than to pay for the disruption caused by mass layoffs and unemployment, the government has said.

Unfortunately, compassion is a double edged sword. Once all the working class folks become homeless because of this pandemic, who will bear that burden. The government can't. So who will. What of the homeless children, who will feed and cloth them?

Being "woke" for one, means forced poverty and even homelessness for another. Feeling self righteous about that? Seems like that's what some of you major in.

I can tell you what will happen to the man above, rent may get put off a couple of months, maybe, but if this drags on further, the man will be on the street. Maybe think about that catastrophe that is about to happen to untold millions, and have a bit of a balanced sense of compassion. The 2 trillion bill won't save them.
Flaming Moderate
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Quote:

In a Queens, New York, apartment, a laid-off busboy has no idea if he will make next month's rent or feed his family. An out-of-work waitress in Amsterdam, though, can count on the government to cover 90% of her wages. As a Malaysian florist anxiously burns through her savings, cafe owners in Brussels receive about $4,300 to make up for lost revenue.

Weeks of layoffs and lockdowns have made clear that poor and working-class people will bear a disproportionate share of the pain from the coronavirus pandemic. In cities around the world, work has stopped. Bills have not. And no end is in sight. But the first wave of government rescue packages has exposed another reality: The pain will depend largely on where people live.

The disparity reflects not only the world's differing safety nets but also the contrasting views of a government's role in a crisis. Should it pump cash into the economy? Bail out businesses? Replace lost income for workers? Those questions are at the heart of a protracted debate over a nearly $2 trillion rescue package being negotiated in Washington.

"I don't know what I'm going to do. Oh my God," said Jose Luis Candia, 34, who lost his two jobs busing tables at high-end Manhattan restaurants. His wife gave birth to their third daughter a month ago. Friends have donated money for groceries. He does not know how he will pay rent or what will happen if he cannot.

Half a world away, in Copenhagen, workers in Candia's situation face a different reality. The Danish government has promised to cover 75% to 90% of salaries if businesses do not lay off their employees. Better to pay to keep people employed than to pay for the disruption caused by mass layoffs and unemployment, the government has said.

Unfortunately, compassion is a double edged sword. Once all the working class folks become homeless because of this pandemic, who will bear that burden. The government can't. So who will. What of the homeless children, who will feed and cloth them?

Being "woke" for one, means forced poverty and even homelessness for another. Feeling self righteous about that? Seems like that's what some of you major in.

I can tell you what will happen to the man above, rent may get put off a couple of months, maybe, but if this drags on further, the man will be on the street. Maybe think about that catastrophe that is about to happen to untold millions, and have a bit of a balanced sense of compassion. The 2 trillion bill won't save them.
That is because the compassion is not genuine but a political tool to stir emotional response. I always default to consistency check. Not everyone certainly, but many expressing "compassion" for old people because it suits their ends for this issue tomorrow will be calling for de-population to save the planet as well as government-run healthcare, which daily rations care and sacrifices the old.
Waco1947
muddybrazos said:

Waco1947 said:

muddybrazos said:

Waco1947 said:

maybe the most vulnerable citizens should keep doing what they're doing and stay home while the rest of have the option to carry on as we choose.
Sure infect the vulnerable citizens with your irresponsibility And employers open themselves to lawsuit if their workers get infected by it. For Christians, it is called Community and Compassion - for citizens it is called mutual caring and responsibility.
You should get a Michael Jackson bubble to live in.
Again you beg the question with a silly putdown
Waco1947
Waco1947
Flaming Moderate said:

Waco1947 said:

So for a consistency check, do you blame President Obama for the 15,000 people who died of H1N1? He took virtually no action and watched 15,000 die.

I do not. But I do not blame President Trump for Covid-19. I just demand consistency - everything else is just bigotry.
You are begging the question. Can 45 reopen the economy? How?
Waco1947
Bearitto
Waco1947 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Waco1947 said:

Please stop using terms you clearly don't understand. Please.
BaylorOkie
Begging the question is the new ad hominem.
D. C. Bear
Waco1947 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Waco1947 said:

Are you really this obtuse?
Bearitto
D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Waco1947 said:

Yes. Yes. And yes.

bear2be2
contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

If automobiles served no productive, functional purpose or their risk could be mitigated dramatically by following a simple set of instructions for a finite a period of time, this might be a good comparison. As it is, it's a pretty lazy one. Assuming the risk of a necessary activity that is well regulated and extraordinarily safe on a percentage basis is far different than letting a novel virus burn through a population to devastating effect, which is the outcome that virtually all projections predict should we return to business as usual.

And COVID-19 is not the flu. It spreads faster, kills at a higher rate and has no known cure/treatment at this time. If you want to compare it to the flu, compare it to the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918. This isn't as deadly as that was, but it spreads at an insanely rapid rate, has a long incubation period and becomes far more deadly once a nation's medical infrastructure is compromised. If we don't try to contain this in a responsible manner, the results will be devastating.

What's happening to the economy right now sucks. There's no way to sugar coat that. But minimizing the impact of this pandemic is not the way to address that. We have no choice but to treat this with the seriousness it deserves. The alternative is a public health disaster that will only exacerbate the economic impact we're feeling currently. There's no good outcome here. But there's a reason the entire world is shutting down right now, and it's not because no one cares about the economy.
Oldbear83
The mistake in that answer is thinking that 'X' is the only option to "take the virus seriously".

We have options.

Personally, these are things I would like to see, in no order of importance:

1. Stop calling it "social distancing". It's not a trend, it's a public safety measure, and it sounds vague and casual, according to my daughter. Let's call it "virus distance" or "safety space". And yeah, I do think it matters;

2. Anyone who had any part in ordering businesses to close should not collect pay while such an order is in effect. Yeah, I agree a lot of that is necessary, but I am sick of seeing rich people issue orders that destroy innocent people while they personally see not even a moment of pain.

3. Limit business closing as much as possible. Just as it makes sense to let restaurants stay open to serve 'to go' and just close inside dining areas, don't close businesses which see less than 50 people a day, and maybe pay more attention to closing businesses which are not really essential, like liquor stores or vanity TV shows like "ET". Put some thought in those orders.

4. Media should not repeat the same thing every hour all day but call it "breaking news". Save that tag for news that really is just released.

5. Don't treat ABC or CNN or Fox as authorities on medical information. Dr. Oz, for example,is the same idiot who recently claimed you should drink apple juice because it would poison you. If we're going to make a big deal about medical advice, let's direct folks to the CDC or NIH or online medical journals.

6. Stop accusing people who are staying home and washing their hands and all that, of "not taking it seriously". You don't have a clue what is going on with someone else, and being an ass only raises everyone's stress level.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Sam Lowry
contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

Thousands of lives per year. Not thousands of lives per year per year. That's the difference.

There's no epidemic of car accidents, and there's no epidemic of flu that imminently threatens our ability to handle it.
geewago
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Waco1947 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Easy for those that can sit at the house and still draw their pension/income get all righteous about those that have to work to get paid.
This a thousand times repeated. Hopefully there will be a ton of job openings and young generation can get better jobs in the recovery.

My caveat however is Waco47 is so ****ing political he doesn't really care. He just wants everyone to be as miserable as he/she/it.
How is it you think you know that I don't care care? You have no proof. You are a citizen responsible for other citizens as they are for you. The vulnerable citizens in our midst cannot be abandoned.
Remind my sometime to tell you story of the little boy and the wooden spoon.
You're about as coherent as Biden
47 is nowhere near as mentally stable as Biden.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

Thousands of lives per year. Not thousands of lives per year per year. That's the difference.

There's no epidemic of car accidents, and there's no epidemic of flu that imminently threatens our ability to handle it.
Driving and crisis management have this in common: Panic leads to bad things.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

The mistake in that answer is thinking that 'X' is the only option to "take the virus seriously".

We have options.

Personally, these are things I would like to see, in no order of importance:

1. Stop calling it "social distancing". It's not a trend, it's a public safety measure, and it sounds vague and casual, according to my daughter. Let's call it "virus distance" or "safety space". And yeah, I do think it matters;

2. Anyone who had any part in ordering businesses to close should not collect pay while such an order is in effect. Yeah, I agree a lot of that is necessary, but I am sick of seeing rich people issue orders that destroy innocent people while they personally see not even a moment of pain.

3. Limit business closing as much as possible. Just as it makes sense to let restaurants stay open to serve 'to go' and just close inside dining areas, don't close businesses which see less than 50 people a day, and maybe pay more attention to closing businesses which are not really essential, like liquor stores or vanity TV shows like "ET". Put some thought in those orders.

4. Media should not repeat the same thing every hour all day but call it "breaking news". Save that tag for news that really is just released.

5. Don't treat ABC or CNN or Fox as authorities on medical information. Dr. Oz, for example,is the same idiot who recently claimed you should drink apple juice because it would poison you. If we're going to make a big deal about medical advice, let's direct folks to the CDC or NIH or online medical journals.

6. Stop accusing people who are staying home and washing their hands and all that, of "not taking it seriously". You don't have a clue what is going on with someone else, and being an ass only raises everyone's stress level.
If you're doing all those things, no one's talking about you -- at least not in the negative.

It's the people who aren't following the fairly simple and straightforward instructions we've gotten from well qualified experts that people like myself are frustrated with. And unfortunately, most businesses encourage or force people to break those recommendations, which is why we're limiting the risk to essential business during this crisis. That's why it's not nearly as simple as just saying, send everyone back to work and isolate the vulnerable. If that worked, we wouldn't be where we are now, adding thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths to our tally daily.
Oldbear83
I see very few "well qualified experts". I see a butt-ton of media idiots and political idiots pretending to be experts, and a fair number here who think a Chicken Little act here on S365 is going to make them look impressive and credible.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

I see very few "well qualified experts". I see a butt-ton of media idiots and political idiots pretending to be experts, and a fair number here who think a Chicken Little act here on S365 is going to make them look impressive and credible.
Ignore the media and politicians, then, and listen to the experts. Their opinions and recommendations are easily found in the information age we live in. We just have to listen to them with open minds and give their words the weight they deserve.
Oldbear83
bear2be2 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Ignore the media and politicians, then, and listen to the experts. Their opinions and recommendations are easily found in the information age we live in. We just have to listen to them with open minds and give their words the weight they deserve.
I do pay attention to the CDC and NIH, and Dr. Fauci. It's funny how so few hear seem to do more than pretend their own opinion is the same as the real experts.
jupiter
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Oldbear83 said:

I really like #2. It should apply to every single member of the House and Senate. Little AOC would do an about face and be tweeting for Americans to be strong and get on with their lives.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Kyle
D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Waco1947 said:

I actually don't think he's smart enough to be obtuse. I think he basically gets a few hours a month online at the sanitarium.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.