Good Citizenship vs Legality of Travel Bans

1,201 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BusyTarpDuster2017
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Papers please? What is your purpose of travel."

Governors are placing travel bans from state-to-state. As a good citizen, I believe we should self-enforce. However, from a constitutional standpoint, how are these bans legal?

My personal opinion is they aren't. I'd feel better if the Governors said this will only be enforceable for the next 30 days. Just prior to it's expiring, we will re-evaluate to see if it needs to be extended and, any extension will have an expiration date to be no more than 30 days.

Virus or no virus, we have liberties that should be very difficult to give up. There needs to be legal hurdles in place.

Your thoughts please.
Flaming Moderate
I am always fascinated about how people interpret and react to events. I would be willing to bet the same people happy with this situation were among the loudest screaming about the Patriot Act.
LIB,MR BEARS
I work with a guy that is typically very conservative. Last week, he was wanting the government to shut down tons of businesses.
Flaming Moderate
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I work with a guy that is typically very conservative. Last week, he was wanting the government to shut down tons of businesses.
My unscientific POV. 100% of my liberal friends are mass hysteria. About 40% of my conservative friends are mass hysteria, 40% are we're doing the right things, and 20% are we're over-reacting.
LIB,MR BEARS
I believe we are doing the right things for the most part. However, what happens when a government, local or national, says you cannot operate your business but you believe it is time to get back to work. Should that government be able to limit your free trade?
LIB,MR BEARS
Is anyone raising these questions with the governors?
BusyTarpDuster2017
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Those two things do not conflict.
Bearitto
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yes, they do. Authoritarianism is a leftist trait.
LIB,MR BEARS
TTT

Back to Constitutionality please.

Your thoughts?
corncob pipe
LIB,MR BEARS
corncob pipe said:

verbotten
Osodecentx
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TTT

Back to Constitutionality please.

Your thoughts?
They can declare marshal law and stop your travel. Texas not under marshal law

"Stay at home" order doesn't prohibit your travel
GoneGirl
My daughter and I chose to drive 2000 miles home from Missoula a week and a half after the big shutdowns started because we feared the closure of state borders. There are already spats between states that issued stay-at-home orders and those that haven't, about who can drive where for work: Wisconsin and Iowa, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Our mayor issued a stay-at-home order more than a week ago and people in surrounding counties that commute here complained about their workplaces shutting down while mayors of surrounding cities complained about people leaving stay-at-home countries to come to their countries and work, potentially bringing the virus with them.

I don't think it matters if these concerns are valid. What matters is that we don't have a unified policy enacted by the federal government, which sets the stage for ugly local squabbles.
LIB,MR BEARS
Jinx 2 said:

My daughter and I chose to drive 2000 miles home from Missoula a week and a half after the big shutdowns started because we feared the closure of state borders. There are already spats between states that issued stay-at-home orders and those that haven't, about who can drive where for work: Wisconsin and Iowa, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Our mayor issued a stay-at-home order more than a week ago and people in surrounding counties that commute here complained about their workplaces shutting down while mayors of surrounding cities complained about people leaving stay-at-home countries to come to their countries and work, potentially bringing the virus with them.

I don't think it matters if these concerns are valid. What matters is that we don't have a unified policy enacted by the federal government, which sets the stage for ugly local squabbles.
Is this a power granted to the federal government? I've no idea.
GoneGirl
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Jinx 2 said:

The federal government can declare war on behalf of us all. They don't ask states to decide for themselves and tell them they don't have to send soldiers to the military in the event of a draft if we're at war.

So why wouldn't the govt have the authority dictate a national response to a pandemic that would reduce deaths and flatten the curve so the outbreaks are manageable?
D. C. Bear
Jinx 2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Jinx 2 said:

The federal government can declare war on behalf of us all. They don't ask states to decide for themselves and tell them they don't have to send soldiers to the military in the event of a draft if we're at war.

So why wouldn't the govt have the authority dictate a national response to a pandemic that would reduce deaths and flatten the curve so the outbreaks are manageable?

Maybe because the Constitution explicitly grants Congress the power to declare war, but does not grant them the right to order everyone to stay at home.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Bearitto said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yes, they do. Authoritarianism is a leftist trait.
Authoritarianism is the opposite extreme of libertarianism, not conservatism.
Even so, I don't think the concept of authoritarianism even applies to an emergency response against a national threat like a pandemic that is meant to be temporary. While conservatives believe in free individuals in a free market, this belief isn't absolute without exceptions. It isn't with libertarians either as they have to consider the harm principle.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.