And so it begins

2,611 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorFTW
BaylorFTW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tampa Pastor Arrested for Packing Mega Church During Coronavirus

Controversial Tampa pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was arrested and charged with unlawful assembly and for violating health and safety rules on Sunday (March 29) when he packed River Church amid the coronavirus pandemic.

During his service, Howard-Browne said that his church would remain open despite local government ordering all places of worship to close. He could be heard telling churchgoers in a video of the service, "The only time the church will close is when the Rapture is taking place."

https://www.vladtv.com/article/261550/tampa-pastor-arrested-for-packing-mega-church-during-coronavirus?page=2
Bearitto
BaylorFTW said:

Controversial Tampa pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was arrested and charged with unlawful assembly and for violating health and safety rules on Sunday (March 29) when he packed River Church amid the coronavirus pandemic.

During his service, Howard-Browne said that his church would remain open despite local government ordering all places of worship to close. He could be heard telling churchgoers in a video of the service, "The only time the church will close is when the Rapture is taking place."

https://www.vladtv.com/article/261550/tampa-pastor-arrested-for-packing-mega-church-during-coronavirus?page=2

Civil rights out the window. This needs to stop.
Oldbear83
The court case should be interesting.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Mitch Blood Green
Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

He doesn't have the right to further spread this virus throughout the community.

This is what they are protecting against. It's not his right to preach the word.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

Art Vandelay
Would an imam be threatened with arrest at a mosque gathering?
Mitch Blood Green
Art Vandelay said:

Would you want him to be?
Bearitto
tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

He doesn't have the right to further spread this virus throughout the community.

This is what they are protecting against. It's not his right to preach the word.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

He's not spreading anything. If you are susceptible, stay home. Self quarantine. You don't have the right to tell other free men and women who aren't statistically in any danger whatsoever to stay home and starve. Church or not, telling people how to live their lives will get you advice on exactly how to go and make sweet love to yourself with a cheese grater.
Art Vandelay
tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

Just asking, not suggesting. Nice try, though.
Flaming Moderate
I'm glad I don't have to make the decision(s) on shutting down the country ... glad I don't have to adjudicate this case.
Mitch Blood Green
Art Vandelay said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

I'm asking. Should an Imam in violation of a non discriminatory order that protectors the public be allowed to violate the order?
Bruin
tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

I'm asking. Should an Imam in violation of a non discriminatory order that protectors the public be allowed to violate the order?
Treat it the same way if they are enforcing it.
Oldbear83
Bruin said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

Does anyone know how mosques and masjids are reacting to lockdown orders?
muddybrazos
Oldbear83 said:

Bruin said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

I havent seen any mention of it. DeBlasio had a tweet that specifically mentioned churches and synagogues but no mention of mosques. They seem to get play by a different set of rules.
Forest Bueller_bf
Well a megachurch of this size will likely spread the illness to a bunch of people.

Howard-Browne's services are characterized by laying of hands and worshipers giggling with apparent drunkenness, speaking in tongues, making animal noises, breaking into uncontrollable holy laughter, shaking with mirth, dancing in the aisles, or falling to the ground.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Howard-Browne#cite_note-TBT-2][2][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Howard-Browne#cite_note-M&G-3][3][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Howard-Browne#cite_note-carnes-4][4][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Howard-Browne#cite_note-ravitz-5][5][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Howard-Browne#cite_note-VOA-6][6][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Howard-Browne#cite_note-NunNews-16][16][/url] He refers to himself as "God's bartender" and the "holy ghost bartender".[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Howard-Browne#cite_note-carnes-4][4][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Howard-Browne#cite_note-TBT-2][2][/url]

The guy is a nut too. That doesn't mean he can't freely be a Pastor, lot's of folks are intoxicated by his brand of Christianity, but if he defied a legal order, designed for the safety of the general public, it is what it is.
BaylorBJM
Bearitto said:

tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

He's not spreading anything. If you are susceptible, stay home. Self quarantine. You don't have the right to tell other free men and women who aren't statistically in any danger whatsoever to stay home and starve. Church or not, telling people how to live their lives will get you advice on exactly how to go and make sweet love to yourself with a cheese grater.
I mean, I don't even know where to begin with this lack of logic.

"Not susceptible"? What in the world?? We're all susceptible. That's the point. Every.single.one of us. What don't you get about this?

And "statistically not in danger"? What does that even mean? Unless you have a service specifically for attendees who are already positive for Covid19 or at one point was -and has since recovered- (even the medical community is still debating this aspect,) every person in that church would be "in danger". Worse yet, any person thereafter who comes in contact would then be put in danger.

Lastly, "telling people how to live their lives"? Using this unflappable logic I'm sure you side on the argument of no speeds limits, no restrictions on marriages/unions, unlimited use of drugs amongst citizens, no BAC limits, etc. too right?

Oldbear83
I think the issue is price. We all agree that money should not come before saving lives, but it's absurd to ignore the economic cost, especially given how many people would never get the virus but will see their life savings wrecked because someone else, who sees no personal cost, demands it.

Way too much emotion in the debate, not enough real discussion.
twd74
BaylorFTW said:

I am sure a number of Pastors will be considering defying the law on Easter Sunday (A Sunday a Presbyterian Minister described to me as "Pay Day"). I wonder if Authorities might avoid all this, by telling them that "We won't be arresting the Pastor if the Congregation meets and violates the health guidelines, but bring your bedroll and your toothbrushes with you because you will be in quarantine together. "
Booray
Oldbear83 said:

I think the issue is price. We all agree that money should not come before saving lives, but it's absurd to ignore the economic cost, especially given how many people would never get the virus but will see their life savings wrecked because someone else, who sees no personal cost, demands it.

Way too much emotion in the debate, not enough real discussion.
9/11 changed the way we lived as I am reminded every time I try to enter a Baylor sporting event. Not because of the 3,000+ lives lost, but because of the chance that many more could die in the absence of precautions.

POTUS was arguing today that his administration will have a done a good job if American deaths are in Dr. Birx's prediction range of 100k-200k. In the absence of any precautions, the estimate of dead Americans is in the millions..Given those sorts of numbers, it is hard to say that the sacrifices aren't worth it.
quash
I'm not a fan of criminalizing stupid behavior, which is what this is. A church in Washington held a choir practice, half showed up and over half of those got sick and one is already dead. Despite lots of Purell and no hugging and an attempt at distancing. There are folks putting together prayer groups to go pray at hospitals. It won't work, but it won't work just as effectively from your own home. Livestream it. By now the whole country knows how to use Zoom.

I am one of a handful of attorneys in my 10 county region signed up to be appointed counsel for folks who get arrested under Ch 81 of our state health code. I'll defend their right to make stupid choices because I think this law is wrong.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
GoneGirl
quash said:

I'm not a fan of criminalizing stupid behavior, which is what this is. A church in Washington held a choir practice, half showed up and over half of thosevgot sick and one is already dead..Despite lots of Purell and no hugging and an attempt at distancing.

I am one of a handful of attorneys in my 10 county region signed up to be appointed counsel for folks who get arrested under Ch 81 of our state health code. I'll defend their right to make stupid choices because I think this law is wrong.
The public health considerations should trump here.

"Stupid behavior" isn't being "crimninalized" permanently. It's being temporarily restricted for the public good.

The argument is the same as that for vaccines A small subset of people shouldn't be free to put the entire population at risk. We should have enough of a social contract and enough faith in science and doctors, like Anthony Fauci, who are telling people what they need to do, to insist people do that in the short term.

One thing that galls me about these selfish preachers is that it's likely healthcare workers will be infected and will die because of their bad decision. Not acceptable.
BaylorFTW
twd74 said:

BaylorFTW said:

I am sure a number of Pastors will be considering defying the law on Easter Sunday (A Sunday a Presbyterian Minister described to me as "Pay Day"). I wonder if Authorities might avoid all this, by telling them that "We won't be arresting the Pastor if the Congregation meets and violates the health guidelines, but bring your bedroll and your toothbrushes with you because you will be in quarantine together. "
That presupposes the police force has the manpower to do such things and that people will adhere to their orders. We already have instances in Italy and China where people are pushing back. This is a delicate situation. For example, what if the church just decides they are going to have a chain of people to become the new pastor every time they arrest the current one so the services continue. Or they decide they won't allow the police into the church or have the pastor be taken. The police could try an end run by barring all the doors but that is begging for all kinds of dangerous escalations by the crowd. The negative PR that would come the way of the police would all but require them to relent at some point.
quash
Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

I'm not a fan of criminalizing stupid behavior, which is what this is. A church in Washington held a choir practice, half showed up and over half of thosevgot sick and one is already dead..Despite lots of Purell and no hugging and an attempt at distancing.

"Stupid behavior" isn't being "crimninalized" permanently. It's being temporarily restricted for the public good.

The argument is the same as that for vaccines A small subset of people shouldn't be free to put the entire population at risk. We should have enough of a social contract and enough faith in science and doctors, like Anthony Fauci, who are telling people what they need to do, to insist people do that in the short term.

One thing that galls me about these selfish preachers is that it's likely healthcare workers will be infected and will die because of their bad decision. Not acceptable.
We either have rights protected by the Constitution or we have privileges subject to revocation in times of emergency.

This president's modus operandi is crisis.

I'll take the Constitution over authoritarian whim any day.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Oldbear83 said:

Bruin said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

Islam leaves it up to the clerics, terrific discussion here: https://www.islam21c.com/islamic-law/closing-mosques-islamic-justifications-for-coronavirus-lockdowns/
Booray
quash said:

I'm not a fan of criminalizing stupid behavior, which is what this is. A church in Washington held a choir practice, half showed up and over half of those got sick and one is already dead. Despite lots of Purell and no hugging and an attempt at distancing. There are folks putting together prayer groups to go pray at hospitals. It won't work, but it won't work just as effectively from your own home. Livestream it. By now the whole country knows how to use Zoom.

The problem isn't that the parishoners get infected. It is that they spread it, cause more illness and contribute to breaking our medical system.

If the government wants to prevent or breakup any and all large religious gatherings, it won't be violating anyone's 1st amendment rights in doing so.The law or order that results in restrictions on religious assembly would be viewed under the strict scrutiny test as it restricts a fundamental right. The burden would be on the government to demonstrate:

[ol]
  • the law or order is necessary to a "compelling state interest";
  • that the law or order is "narrowly tailored" to achieving this compelling purpose;
  • and that the law or order uses the "least restrictive means" to achieve the purpose.
  • [/ol]
    The government would surely be able to meet that burden,
    D. C. Bear
    Bearitto said:

tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

There are times when restrictions are appropriate. This is one of those times. Our church implemented them a couple of weeks ago.
    GoneGirl
    quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Bruin said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

Islam leaves it up to the clerics, terrific discussion here: https://www.islam21c.com/islamic-law/closing-mosques-islamic-justifications-for-coronavirus-lockdowns/
    The same thing is happening with ultra-orthodox Jews, the Haredi.
    GoneGirl
    quash said:

Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

We either have rights protected by the Constitution or we have privileges subject to revocation in times of emergency.

Members of a religious congregation do not have the right to put the remainder of the community at risk during a pandemic. Just as they should not have the right to restrict the methods of contraception available through various insurance plans or in various states or restrict access to certain medical procedures they deem unacceptable to God.

(For example, suppose we had a president or state governor who opposed blood transfusions because he is a Jehovah's Witness and thus sought to outlaw them for everyone, because that's God's will.)

quash
    Booray said:

quash said:

The problem isn't that the parishoners get infected. It is that they spread it, cause more illness and contribute to breaking our medical system.

If the government wants to prevent or breakup any and all large religious gatherings, it won't be violating anyone's 1st amendment rights in doing so.The law or order that results in restrictions on religious assembly would be viewed under the strict scrutiny test as it restricts a fundamental right. The burden would be on the government to demonstrate:

[ol]
  • that the law or order is "narrowly tailored" to achieving this compelling purpose;
  • and that the law or order uses the "least restrictive means" to achieve the purpose.
  • [/ol]

Oh it's a violation, the question is whether or not it is permissible. I'll give you number one, but two and three are going to be judged in hindsight. So we'll see.
    Booray
    quash said:

Booray said:

quash said:

[ol]
  • [/ol]

Oh it's a violation, the question is whether or not it is permissible. I'll give you number one, but two and three are going to be judged in hindsight. So we'll see.
    I would say it is a restriction, not a violation.

I have never really understood the difference between 2 & 3

How could the law or order be more narrowly tailored to achieve the purpose? What less restrictive means exist?
    blackie
    There are times when you have to do something that technically is taking some right away from you, but it is done so to protect the interests of the country at large.

What is worse to ask (or compel) someone to do:
    • Not attend a church service so that you don't endanger yourself or those you ultimately come in contact with OR
    • Be drafted into the Army following 12/7/1941 to be sent off to who knows where and your odds of coming back alive were not all that great.

I would opine that both are forcing someone to do something they probably would rather not do and is forcing them to give up their right of freedom of choice as to how they live their life. But when you are a citizen and receive the benefits of living in this country, there is a responsibility to the country from time to time to put the interests of the country ahead of your personal interests or desires. This is one of them. If your aren't willing to accept the responsibility, don't accept the benefits.

The "pastor" is an idiot.
    bear2be2
    D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

There are times when restrictions are appropriate. This is one of those times. Our church implemented them a couple of weeks ago.
    All reasonable/responsible churches have.

Given the reputation of this pastor/congregation, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was just a publicity stunt designed to claim martyrdom and religious oppression (in a country were about 70 percent of the population identifies as Christian).

I hope these selfish clowns are prosecuted for the role they've played in endangering their community.
    BusyTarpDuster2017
    Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

Members of a religious congregation do not have the right to put the remainder of the community at risk during a pandemic. Just as they should not have the right to restrict the methods of contraception available through various insurance plans or in various states or restrict access to certain medical procedures they deem unacceptable to God.

(For example, suppose we had a president or state governor who opposed blood transfusions because he is a Jehovah's Witness and thus sought to outlaw them for everyone, because that's God's will.)

Your contraception example doesn't fit here. Not providing insurance that pays for something is not the same as restricting access to that something. If they restrict access to blood transfusions or medical procedures outright, then no, they don't have that right. But if they don't want to help pay for it, they should be able to refuse. If you don't like their insurance plan, then get your own, or don't take the job.
    BaylorFTW
    So the police officer that issued the arrest warrant of the Tampa pastor is claiming he received an anonymous tip. The Tampa pastor actually turned himself in. This clip includes the arresting police officer and some other city spokesman talking about public safety and what not.

D. C. Bear
    BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

Your contraception example doesn't fit here. Not providing insurance that pays for something is not the same as restricting access to that something. If they restrict access to blood transfusions or medical procedures outright, then no, they don't have that right. But if they don't want to help pay for it, they should be able to refuse. If you don't like their insurance plan, then get your own, or don't take the job.

She will shoehorn her contraception into everything.
    Mitch Blood Green
    Please turn to page 64 in your hymnal and sing along.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.