Rent strike idea gaining steam during coronavirus crisis

815 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Canada2017
BaylorFTW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ST. LOUIS (AP) With millions of people suddenly out of work and rent due at the first of the month, some tenants are vowing to go on a rent strike until the coronavirus pandemic subsides.

New York, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and St. Louis are among many cities that have temporarily banned evictions, but advocates for the strike are demanding that rent payments be waived, not delayed, for those in need during the crisis. The rent strike idea has taken root in parts of North America and as far away as London.

White sheets are being hung in apartment windows to show solidarity with the movement that is gaining steam on Twitter, Instagram and other social media sites. Fliers urging people to participate are being posted in several cities, including bus stops in St. Louis, where 27-year-old Kyle Kofron still has his job at an ice cream factory, but his three roommates have suddenly found themselves unemployed. Their property manager so far hasn't agreed to a payment plan, Kofron said.

Rest of article: https://apnews.com/1bd0dccae3f84e380af62b3dd91ee26e

Thoughts?
Flaming Moderate
Just what we need, a twitter-fueled millenial temper tantrum. Something should be done, but it needs to be structured not a rebellion.

These are the things that fuel conspiracies.
Canada2017
I have been telling my wife for over 2 weeks that it's probable for us to lose up to half of our rent income over the next 2-6 months .

BaylorFTW
Canada2017 said:

I have been telling my wife for over 2 weeks that it's probable for us to lose up to half of our rent income over the next 2-6 months .

How are you going to handle the situation if people don't pay? Are you going to evict or try to come to some agreement or what is your plan if things continue?
Canada2017
Anyone who is unable to pay their rent due to this C-19
pandemic....we will try to work with .

Much will depend on their attitude and how long they have been renting from us . We have several who have been with us over 12 years .

Toying with the idea of reducing rents for 2-6 months or waiving it entirely for 1-3 months for those facing legitimate financial difficulties due to C -19.

Going to be a real challenge.

GrowlTowel
I guarantee there will not be a single eviction in Texas in the next six months. Not a single JP will issue the order for virus related issues. Just wont happen.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Canada2017
GrowlTowel said:

I guarantee there will not be a single eviction in Texas in the next six months. Not a single JP will issue the order for virus related issues. Just wont happen.

Suspect the same could be said in Colorado .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.