Christianity under attack in Finland

496 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bear2be2
BaylorFTW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some stories going around in the last few months:

Finland: Christian MP faces 2 new investigations for comments on Jesus, homosexuality

A Christian member of the Finnish Parliament is facing new police investigations for citing Bible verses on social media to object to the Lutheran church's participation in an LGBT pride event, according to a U.S.-based international law firm.

Pivi Rsnen, a Member of Parliament since 1995 and former chair of the Christian Democrat Party, wrote a tweet last year questioning the leadership of her church for sponsorship the LGBT event "Pride 2019," accompanied by an image of a Bible text, according to Alliance Defending Freedom.

Accused of "hate speech" as a result, Rsnen was interrogated by the police at the time.

Article: https://www.christianpost.com/news/finland-christian-mp-faces-2-new-investigations-for-comments-on-jesus-homosexuality.html

Dr. Michael Brown discusses encroachments on Christianity in Europe:

Is Finland About to Make Christianity Illegal? Christian Lawmaker Facing Fines and Prison

Finland's Prosecutor General has now opened a second investigation concerning a pamphlet that Pivi wrote 15 years ago about Biblical Christian marriage, called "Man and woman, He created them."
Tweet Results in Criminal Investigation

It is biblical teaching that the Finnish constitution says it supports. Rsnen told us that because of that, she assumed the investigation would not go anywhere.

"Yes, yes, I assumed. In fact, it was a surprise for me that there is even a police investigation about that case. I wouldn't have believed it.

Leif Nummela, editor of a Christian newspaper and a Christian TV host in Finland told us, "I thought that this couldn't happen. It was unbelievable. It was a real surprise. And my first thought was, 'are they really going this far'?"

The Lutheran pastor who published the pamphlet Pivi wrote on Christian marriage is also under investigation.

Article: https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2020/february/historically-christian-finland-threatens-to-fine-imprison-believers-who-speak-out-on-matters-of-faith
Flaming Moderate
Can't we get back to judging people for their actions not their words?
BaylorFTW
Flaming Moderate said:

Can't we get back to judging people for their actions not their words?
I am reading a book by a couple of Catholics who described the emerging Western world as:

"The emerging religion of the current empire is a secular one, very much like the civic religion of the Roman Empire- one in which people value their freedom to indulge in whatever they please but will compromise religious freedom if they perceive that religious people might critique or curtail their personal freedom."

They describe the persecution of Christians as usually nonviolent but still very insidious as it is a "cultural persecution" where Christians are forced to choose between Christ or the new Caesar. They go onto say:

"Increasingly, Christians must live as cultural salmon, swimming upstream, and branded with labels such as unenlightened, closed-minded or rigid- labels that are being used to marginalize the faithful. Such is the hypocrisy of ultratolerance. In a world where it is politically correct to preach tolerance for all, tradition seems to be exempt from that so-called tolerance. Tradition and traditional values, which are perceived to threaten the absolute freedom of some, are simply labeled intolerant and no longer need to be tolerated. It seems as if the only sin left is to claim that something is a sin."

LTbear
BaylorFTW said:

"Increasingly, Christians must live as cultural salmon, swimming upstream, and branded with labels such as unenlightened, closed-minded or rigid- labels that are being used to marginalize the faithful. Such is the hypocrisy of ultratolerance. In a world where it is politically correct to preach tolerance for all, tradition seems to be exempt from that so-called tolerance. Tradition and traditional values, which are perceived to threaten the absolute freedom of some, are simply labeled intolerant and no longer need to be tolerated. It seems as if the only sin left is to claim that something is a sin."

I think there's a lot of truth in here that goes beyond Christianity as well. Way too many people in present day America teach a hypocritical tolerance that says we want acceptance and equality for everyone, so long as you think just like us.
bear2be2
LTbear said:

BaylorFTW said:

I think there's a lot of truth in here that goes beyond Christianity as well. Way too many people in present day America teach a hypocritical tolerance that says we want acceptance and equality for everyone, so long as you think just like us.

Yep. We're all hypocrites.

It's largely for this reason I take a live and let live approach. I have and will share my opinions, but I'll never try to make my opinions or religious convictions law. Freedom isn't freedom if only those who think and act like you are afforded it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.