A Study in Leadership

8,926 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oldbear83
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tommie said:

fadskier said:

How has the Trump administration mishandled the virus response?

1. When the pandemic hit, he needed to be the president. He says he a wartime president, I can't imagine a war conducted by 50 states. A great idea would have been to get the governors to work with the federal government. In this moment, we can't keep having grievances against blue states or dinners that only invite republicans.

2. If he doesn't want to lead, Stop undermining states. There's been nothing more harmful than his tweets against governors like "free Michigan"

3. Understand both the problem and the resolution. To this point, we still don't have plan. He doesn't have to like the CDC plan. He should have worked with them and others to create one he believes in.

4. Get out of campaign mode. Start doing the job. Joe Biden will be there in August.

5. Don't be off the cuff. It's a crisis and your words matter.

6. Get off of twitter. I can still remember a time when you had a problem with a person, you called them. And you ignore people who need to be ignored.

7. Stop the pettiness with the press. Calling people names isn't helpful today.

8. Stop being partisan. Rona doesn't care about party, state lines or politics. We will not develop a blue state solution, it's also possible the answer doesn't come from US based scientists. So what. We will all live on this hill or die on this hill.

9. Wear a mask. Encourage the wearing of mask.

Trump talks about "Make America Great Again" this is no where near our finest hour. I don't know what he means by that but this is t it.

My read on history is our greatest hours have been when WE solved our problems. Today, our pronouns are ****ed up. There's no us and we. Trump has it within his power to change that. (If he chooses).
good list, but it just scratches the surface.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

The Trump haters are back to their normal spewing, I see,

And no one should be fooled into thinking TS/Waco ever supported Trump, in 2016 or now.

Who would try to fool you into thinking that. I've never supported Trump. I recognized him for what he was in 2016 and before. I recognized he wasn't qualified to serve as president, the same as Ted Cruz or Lindsey Graham, the rest of the Republican leadership. The difference is they sold their sole and made a deal with the devil.

We know by now you and Waco are sockpuppets of the same leftist ideologue. You were never Republican, let alone "life long" as you pretended. It's an old shill from the Left, but you are worse than most at selling it.
I'll stand my R credentials up against yours any day. I just didn't sell my sole out to the devil, or Q.
Yes you did, and we all know it, Waco/TS.
You're just ranting and not making sense.
You are completely wrong, TS/Waco. I finally connected the dots when you started completing each other's posts and praising each other.

Now as for ranting, you are the one who brought up Q

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(Star_Trek)

and you are the one obsessed with him.

It's funny to see you try the old 'lifelong Republican' line, especially when you regularly argue against the ideals of Cruz and Graham. It's even funnier to see you pretend to professions like clergy and the sciences, when your posts are full of emotion and a void of logic.

Keep on going down the rabbit hole. You're very entertaining.
JXL
TexasScientist said:

CHP Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

How many of those deaths happened in blue state nursing homes? Yes, right in the New York Times backyard. Instead of focusing on blue state failed leadership the NYT gives us caricature of Trump. Makes me wonder about the leadership of the Times or lack of it.
Trump wears the failures of NY state as much as the State authorities. As far a nursing homes go, it was Trump's CDC and Trump's appointed head ot the CDC that required hospitals send covid patients to nursing homes. Trump is the one that emplemented the policy of every state for itself, and failed to lead a coordinated effort for a national response to covid. The only right thing he did was suspend travel from China, but then he sat on his hands ignoring the problem for two months telling everyone it would simply go away in April, despite what we now know his staft and advisors was telling him all through January.

If it was "Trump's CDC" that required nursing homes to accept Covid patients, why didn't all the states do it? And why didn't New York officials say it was federal regulations when they got asked about it?
TexasScientist
JXL said:

TexasScientist said:

CHP Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

How many of those deaths happened in blue state nursing homes? Yes, right in the New York Times backyard. Instead of focusing on blue state failed leadership the NYT gives us caricature of Trump. Makes me wonder about the leadership of the Times or lack of it.
Trump wears the failures of NY state as much as the State authorities. As far a nursing homes go, it was Trump's CDC and Trump's appointed head ot the CDC that required hospitals send covid patients to nursing homes. Trump is the one that emplemented the policy of every state for itself, and failed to lead a coordinated effort for a national response to covid. The only right thing he did was suspend travel from China, but then he sat on his hands ignoring the problem for two months telling everyone it would simply go away in April, despite what we now know his staft and advisors was telling him all through January.

If it was "Trump's CDC" that required nursing homes to accept Covid patients, why didn't all the states do it? And why didn't New York officials say it was federal regulations when they got asked about it?
According to Cuomo they followed CDC guidelines.

"Anyone who wants to ask why the state did that with COVID patients in nursing homes, it's because the state followed President Trump's CDC's guidance," Cuomo said. "So they should ask President Trump."

I think you can safely say it was a bad policy for either to have embraced.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

And no one should be fooled into thinking TS/Waco ever supported Trump, in 2016 or now.

Who would try to fool you into thinking that. I've never supported Trump. I recognized him for what he was in 2016 and before. I recognized he wasn't qualified to serve as president, the same as Ted Cruz or Lindsey Graham, the rest of the Republican leadership. The difference is they sold their sole and made a deal with the devil.

We know by now you and Waco are sockpuppets of the same leftist ideologue. You were never Republican, let alone "life long" as you pretended. It's an old shill from the Left, but you are worse than most at selling it.
I'll stand my R credentials up against yours any day. I just didn't sell my sole out to the devil, or Q.
You are completely wrong, TS/Waco. I finally connected the dots when you started completing each other's posts and praising each other.

It's funny to see you try the old 'lifelong Republican' line, especially when you regularly argue against the ideals of Cruz and Graham. It's even funnier to see you pretend to professions like clergy and the sciences, when your posts are full of emotion and a void of logic.

Rabbit holes, Star Trek references ... not sure what you do for a living but I'm guessing you're in California
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Rabbit holes, Star Trek references ... not sure what you do for a living but I'm guessing you're in California
I find it interesting, and entertaining, that you resort to condescending rhetoric when you don't have a good answer. Yet, when anyone even attempts a rebuttal, you respond in indignation and an attempt at more insulting rhetoric. For some reason, you can't accept that someone can be a Republican and not swear allegance to the the Trump cult. There is something fundamentaly wrong with Trump. Despite what you may like about some of his policies, his personality disorder makes him a dangerous person to serve in the presidency. But, I think you really know that.
Oldbear83
I find it interesting that you parrot whatever opinion Waco1947 wants to sell. I am also amused that you - despite your username - abandon scientific concepts if they don't support your opinion, and that so many of your posts are pure emotion, mainly hate.

Your malicious delusion about the President makes me worry for the safety of people around you, though.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

I find it interesting that you parrot whatever opinion Waco1947 wants to sell. I am also amused that you - despite your username - abandon scientific concepts if they don't support your opinion, and that so many of your posts are pure emotion, mainly hate.

Your malicious delusion about the President makes me worry for the safety of people around you, though.
Quote the parrots of Waco. I don't think you can. The rest of what you say is nonsense.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Quote the parrots of Waco. I don't think you can. The rest of what you say is nonsense.
A predictable and weak denial.

FWBear
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

Yet another thread from you .

Rarely bother to read them because its always one of 2 themes.

Hating on Trump or hating on religion .

Potentially some kind of weird self therapy, otherwise a repetitious waste of time .
I just want people to consider how lowbrow we have allowed the presidency to become. The article captures succinctly with whom we are dealing.
In many ways, Trump is definitely lowbrow. But at least we can still see his eyes whereas the Dems' collective brow in resting on their collective upper lip.
“When they are wrong, what makes them wrong is that they lead to violations of the duties I have described in earlier chapters.”
– Jason Brennan
HuMcK
Oldbear83
If you seriously think Joe Biden has risked his life even once, you are addicted to the koolaid beyond hope.
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

I hate the notion that the President is the leader of the free world.

He's the leader of the United States.

America first. We do something for you, you do something for us. We are NOT a charity.

True, we're not, but between the end of World War II and the start of the Trump Presidency, in many ways we we've sure acted like one. Among the many positive and in some cases historic things Trump has accomplished, turning this around is one of the things that's on the list.
Which charitable foreign aid has Trump eliminated that is positive in your view?

One example is demanding that other NATO countries, that have been able to pay more of their fair share for decades now, actually start doing so. Withdrawing the USA from the ridiculous Paris Climate Accords is another example. For all intents and purposes, you can throw better trade deals in there too as he's moving us away from allowing trade partners to use bad deals as a form of charity. Furthermore, he isn't delivering piles of cash to the likes of Iran. Defunding the WHO is another wise financial move.

I know you hate all things Trump, but do you seriously think Joe Biden is the answer??
I've never offered Biden up as a solution. I'm not a Biden supporter.
So what's your answer? Throw your vote away on a 3rd party candidate? Sit on the sidelines and don't vote, but keep going full speed ahead with your complaining?
I've been a life long Republican.

Gotta luv the internet .
GhettoHEBear
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

America first. We do something for you, you do something for us. We are NOT a charity.

True, we're not, but between the end of World War II and the start of the Trump Presidency, in many ways we we've sure acted like one. Among the many positive and in some cases historic things Trump has accomplished, turning this around is one of the things that's on the list.
Which charitable foreign aid has Trump eliminated that is positive in your view?

One example is demanding that other NATO countries, that have been able to pay more of their fair share for decades now, actually start doing so. Withdrawing the USA from the ridiculous Paris Climate Accords is another example. For all intents and purposes, you can throw better trade deals in there too as he's moving us away from allowing trade partners to use bad deals as a form of charity. Furthermore, he isn't delivering piles of cash to the likes of Iran. Defunding the WHO is another wise financial move.

I know you hate all things Trump, but do you seriously think Joe Biden is the answer??
So what's your answer? Throw your vote away on a 3rd party candidate? Sit on the sidelines and don't vote, but keep going full speed ahead with your complaining?

Gotta luv the internet .

Yep. Classic concern troll
Baylor Mafioso
TexasScientist
GhettoHEBear said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Gotta luv the internet .

Yep. Classic concern troll
Concern for the future our country, and the probability Trump will cause the loss of the Senate.
HuMcK
Friscobear
HuMcK said:

Just look at that volatile situation he has placed himself in (while surrounded by Secret Service agents)!
HuMcK
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

I've been a life long Republican. The Republican Party that I knew, aside from certain foreign, econimic and domestic policies, once stood for character, honor, and integrity above all else. One of the most valuable things I have to give is my vote. I won't give that vote to someone who makes a mockery of those ideals. Witholding my vote doesn't diminish my right to speak out against someone who is dangerous to our country. The country would be for the better, if both conventions ended with a choice of different candidates.
"character, honor and integrity above all else." Since these three things rank higher than policy and action, can I assume you never would have allied yourself with the Russians in order to defeat Nazi Germany? Do all of your partners in all of your dealings pass the squeaky-clean test that you ask Trump to pass?

Apples and oranges. Can I assume you would tolerate Stalin as our leader as long as we defeated Germany?
Why can't y'all accept the fact HRC lost
Trump stands on his own. I didn't vote for HRC. Why do you obsess on her so much? She's not even mentioned in this thread.
blackie
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

I've been a life long Republican. The Republican Party that I knew, aside from certain foreign, econimic and domestic policies, once stood for character, honor, and integrity above all else. One of the most valuable things I have to give is my vote. I won't give that vote to someone who makes a mockery of those ideals. Witholding my vote doesn't diminish my right to speak out against someone who is dangerous to our country. The country would be for the better, if both conventions ended with a choice of different candidates.
"character, honor and integrity above all else." Since these three things rank higher than policy and action, can I assume you never would have allied yourself with the Russians in order to defeat Nazi Germany? Do all of your partners in all of your dealings pass the squeaky-clean test that you ask Trump to pass?

Apples and oranges. Can I assume you would tolerate Stalin as our leader as long as we defeated Germany?
Why can't y'all accept the fact HRC lost
Trump stands on his own. I didn't vote for HRC. Why do you obsess on her so much? She's not even mentioned in this thread.
Agreed. What does HRC have to do with how Trump operates?
HuMcK
Mothra
Don't disagree that Trump can be ridiculous and petty.

And yet sadly, he's still better than the only other viable alternative
HuMcK
cinque
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Are you happy with Trumps picks for judges?

Personally, I'm thrilled with his court picks so that allows me to tolerate a lot of other crap.

Most of trumps crap that you complain about has no significant impact on you or anyone else.
You don't know but two of 'em. How do you know you like them?
Make Racism Wrong Again
cinque
Mothra said:

Only when it comes to being ridiculous and petty.
Make Racism Wrong Again
cinque
Make Racism Wrong Again
George Truett
TexasScientist said:

A short film
MAY 15, 2020

[url=https://www.theatlantic.com/author/anne-applebaum/][/url]By Anne Applebaum
Staff writer at The Atlantic

One knows, of course, that Donald Trump behaves differently from the leaders of other countries, especially the leaders of other Western democracies. One knows that he disdains facts; that he does not read briefing papers; that he has no organizational talents; that he does not know how to make use of militaries, bureaucracies, or diplomatic services; that he has no basic knowledge of history or science, let alone government.

But seeing him in this video, produced by my colleagues in Atlantic Studios, juxtaposed with other world leaders during this coronavirus pandemic comes, nevertheless, as a shock. Chancellor Angela Merkel, President Emmanuel Macron, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and President Moon Jae-in all speak of evidence-based policy, of the need to take the disease seriously, of empathy and solidarity. Trump speaks of hoaxes, of a disease no different from the flu, of a "germ that has gotten so brilliant that we can't keep up with it," of disinfectant as a miracle cure. Even now, even in the worst public-health crisis in a century, he divides people instead of unifying them, creating precisely the kind of distrust that makes the disease harder to defeat. He cannot demonstrate empathy, because he is incapable of feeling any. He cannot demonstrate solidarity, because he has only disdain for his fellow citizens.

Americans, as a rule, rarely compare themselves with other countries, so convinced are we that our system is superior, that our politicians are better, that our democracy is the fairest and most robust in the world. But watch this video and ask yourself: Is this the kind of leadership you expect from a superpower? Does this make you feel confident in our future? Or is this man a warning signal, a blinking red light, a screaming siren telling all of us, and all of the world, that something about our political system has gone profoundly awry?

Thanks for posting.
TexasScientist
Mothra said:

Yes, but it's more than, and goes beyond just that. His behavior and the way he conducts himself make him a dangerous person in the White House. When we start excusing his actions, it puts us on a slippery slope.
George Truett
TexasScientist said:

A short film
MAY 15, 2020

[url=https://www.theatlantic.com/author/anne-applebaum/][/url]By Anne Applebaum
Staff writer at The Atlantic

One knows, of course, that Donald Trump behaves differently from the leaders of other countries, especially the leaders of other Western democracies. One knows that he disdains facts; that he does not read briefing papers; that he has no organizational talents; that he does not know how to make use of militaries, bureaucracies, or diplomatic services; that he has no basic knowledge of history or science, let alone government.

But seeing him in this video, produced by my colleagues in Atlantic Studios, juxtaposed with other world leaders during this coronavirus pandemic comes, nevertheless, as a shock. Chancellor Angela Merkel, President Emmanuel Macron, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and President Moon Jae-in all speak of evidence-based policy, of the need to take the disease seriously, of empathy and solidarity. Trump speaks of hoaxes, of a disease no different from the flu, of a "germ that has gotten so brilliant that we can't keep up with it," of disinfectant as a miracle cure. Even now, even in the worst public-health crisis in a century, he divides people instead of unifying them, creating precisely the kind of distrust that makes the disease harder to defeat. He cannot demonstrate empathy, because he is incapable of feeling any. He cannot demonstrate solidarity, because he has only disdain for his fellow citizens.

Americans, as a rule, rarely compare themselves with other countries, so convinced are we that our system is superior, that our politicians are better, that our democracy is the fairest and most robust in the world. But watch this video and ask yourself: Is this the kind of leadership you expect from a superpower? Does this make you feel confident in our future? Or is this man a warning signal, a blinking red light, a screaming siren telling all of us, and all of the world, that something about our political system has gone profoundly awry?

He may yet win reelection, but he could have sealed it by showing great wisdom, compassion, and foresight by appearing presidential and leading us through this crisis.

Even mediocre governors are getting way higher approval ratings about managing this crisis than Trump.

But he's just incapable. Short attention span or something. Everything has to be about him and what a great job he's doing.

He keeps trying to wish it away and it just won't leave!
HuMcK
Think about how easy of a layup it would have been to let Harriet Tubman be put on $20s this year as planned. Instead, Trump "postponed" it to keep notorious jackass Andrew Jackson on the $20. It's a small thing but those things add up.
Sam Lowry
HuMcK said:

Think about how easy of a layup it would have been to let Harriet Tubman be put on $20s this year as planned. Instead, Trump "postponed" it to keep notorious jackass Andrew Jackson on the $20. It's a small thing but those things add up.
This is exactly the kind of thing that makes a jackass like Trump a viable candidate. Hating America yet not understanding why no one wants you to run it.
TexasScientist
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Gotta luv the internet .

Bolton, Tillerson, Mattis, Kelly head a long list of Republicans who I guess you question also. It's possible for Republicans to recognize the danger Trump presents. Check out the Lincoln Project for enlightenment.

https://lincolnproject.us/
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Gotta luv the internet .

Bolton, Tillerson, Mattis, Kelly head a long list of Republicans who I guess you question also. It's possible for Republicans to recognize the danger Trump presents. Check out the Lincoln Project for enlightenment.

https://lincolnproject.us/

Bolton was a huge danger to American interests and always has been. Mattis wasn't much better.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Mothra said:

Yes, but it's more than, and goes beyond just that. His behavior and the way he conducts himself make him a dangerous person in the White House. When we start excusing his actions, it puts us on a slippery slope.
Funny, you never said that when Obama was doing his far more dangerous thing while in office.

Giving billions in cash to Iran is a lot worse than a few tweets, so is creating a program without any constitutional authority (DACA) because you can't get the votes. So is weaponizing the IRS to go after conservatives and using the FBI to spy on the other party's nominee.

You really have some messed up morals, TS.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
JXL
TexasScientist said:

JXL said:

TexasScientist said:

CHP Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

According to Cuomo they followed CDC guidelines.

"Anyone who wants to ask why the state did that with COVID patients in nursing homes, it's because the state followed President Trump's CDC's guidance," Cuomo said. "So they should ask President Trump."

I think you can safely say it was a bad policy for either to have embraced.

And it turns out that it was a state rule, not a federal one. (News flash! Cuomo was lying! Stop the presses!)

Neal Nibur has lived in a nursing home for about a year, ever since he had a bad bout of pneumonia. Now, the 80-year-old man has not only his own health to worry about but that of his neighbors at the Poughkeepsie, N.Y., residence. Four new patients recently arrived from the hospital with Covid-19.

They were admitted for one reason, according to staff members: A state guideline says nursing homes cannot refuse to take patients from hospitals solely because they have the coronavirus.

At the epicenter of the outbreak, New York issued a strict new rule last month: Nursing homes must readmit residents sent to hospitals with the coronavirus and accept new patients as long as they are deemed "medically stable." California and New Jersey have also said that nursing homes should take in such patients.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/nursing-homes-coronavirus.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.