A Study in Leadership

8,778 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oldbear83
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A short film
MAY 15, 2020

[url=https://www.theatlantic.com/author/anne-applebaum/][/url]By Anne Applebaum
Staff writer at The Atlantic

One knows, of course, that Donald Trump behaves differently from the leaders of other countries, especially the leaders of other Western democracies. One knows that he disdains facts; that he does not read briefing papers; that he has no organizational talents; that he does not know how to make use of militaries, bureaucracies, or diplomatic services; that he has no basic knowledge of history or science, let alone government.

But seeing him in this video, produced by my colleagues in Atlantic Studios, juxtaposed with other world leaders during this coronavirus pandemic comes, nevertheless, as a shock. Chancellor Angela Merkel, President Emmanuel Macron, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and President Moon Jae-in all speak of evidence-based policy, of the need to take the disease seriously, of empathy and solidarity. Trump speaks of hoaxes, of a disease no different from the flu, of a "germ that has gotten so brilliant that we can't keep up with it," of disinfectant as a miracle cure. Even now, even in the worst public-health crisis in a century, he divides people instead of unifying them, creating precisely the kind of distrust that makes the disease harder to defeat. He cannot demonstrate empathy, because he is incapable of feeling any. He cannot demonstrate solidarity, because he has only disdain for his fellow citizens.

Americans, as a rule, rarely compare themselves with other countries, so convinced are we that our system is superior, that our politicians are better, that our democracy is the fairest and most robust in the world. But watch this video and ask yourself: Is this the kind of leadership you expect from a superpower? Does this make you feel confident in our future? Or is this man a warning signal, a blinking red light, a screaming siren telling all of us, and all of the world, that something about our political system has gone profoundly awry?

J.R.
Pretty much says it all. Hard to believe this clown holds an office that USED to be the leader of the free world.
Canada2017
Yet another thread from you .

Rarely bother to read them because its always one of 2 themes.

Hating on Trump or hating on religion .

Potentially some kind of weird self therapy, otherwise a repetitious waste of time .
TexasScientist
Canada2017 said:

Potentially some kind of weird self therapy, otherwise a repetitious waste of time .
I just want people to consider how lowbrow we have allowed the presidency to become. The article captures succinctly with whom we are dealing.
TexasScientist
J.R. said:

Pretty much says it all. Hard to believe this clown holds an office that USED to be the leader of the free world.
Hard to believe, but it's the hard reality.
J.R.
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

I just want people to consider how lowbrow we have allowed the presidency to become. The article captures succinctly with whom we are dealing.
Low Brow is being entirely too kind. It is an absolute **** show hosted by the biggest Narcissist, Immoral, Insecure, Petulant Man-Child who has ever held the office. I've been around since Reagan and there is no President that is remotely close to the clown that I have ever witnessed. And before you RWNJ's throw out Obama, Clinton ....I didn't agree with most Obama's policies or politics, nor voted for him, but he is a good man, good husband, good father, good leader. Clinton, got a hummer from an intern and was indeed impeached and was indeed unseemly, but he cleaned up his act and turned out to be a really good President. Trump is just a miserable human being, which all you Fox viewers somehow seem to give him and his incessant, pathological lying. How you folks (proclaimed Christians)can give him a pass for his dereliction is just incomprehensible to me. I see it ever day, even in my family and I just don't know how that squares.
Bearitto
TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

Not as hard a reality as the fact God exists.
J.R.
Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

and what in the hell does that even mean???
Bearitto
J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

That God exists. Keep up
J.R.
Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

That God exists. Keep up
what does that have to do with the OT? We are talking about Trump and his ineptitude, not God. Why did you feel the need to bring up that non-sequitur?
Bearitto
J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

That God exists. Keep up
what does that have to do with the OT? We are talking about Trump and his ineptitude, not God. Why did you feel the need to bring up that non-sequitur?

What doe God have to do with the Old Testament? Everything
J.R.
Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

That God exists. Keep up

didn't see anything in the post about God or the Old Testament . Could have sworn this post is about Trump and his relative poor leadership compared to other leaders. Please explain
Doc Holliday
I hate the notion that the President is the leader of the free world.

He's the leader of the United States.

America first. We do something for you, you do something for us. We are NOT a charity.
Johnny Bear
Doc Holliday said:

America first. We do something for you, you do something for us. We are NOT a charity.

True, we're not, but between the end of World War II and the start of the Trump Presidency, in many ways we we've sure acted like one. Among the many positive and in some cases historic things Trump has accomplished, turning this around is one of the things that's on the list.
D. C. Bear
J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

That God exists. Keep up

didn't see anything in the post about God or the Old Testament . Could have sworn this post is about Trump and his relative poor leadership compared to other leaders. Please explain

Read the third post in the thread.
LIB,MR BEARS
J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

That God exists. Keep up

Go back and read the thread. Canada opened the door. He's doing just fine while you appear lost right now
ABC BEAR
J.R. said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

Low Brow is being entirely too kind. It is an absolute **** show hosted by the biggest Narcissist, Immoral, Insecure, Petulant Man-Child who has ever held the office. I've been around since Reagan and there is no President that is remotely close to the clown that I have ever witnessed. And before you RWNJ's throw out Obama, Clinton ....I didn't agree with most Obama's policies or politics, nor voted for him, but he is a good man, good husband, good father, good leader. Clinton, got a hummer from an intern and was indeed impeached and was indeed unseemly, but he cleaned up his act and turned out to be a really good President. Trump is just a miserable human being, which all you Fox viewers somehow seem to give him and his incessant, pathological lying. How you folks (proclaimed Christians)can give him a pass for his dereliction is just incomprehensible to me. I see it ever day, even in my family and I just don't know how that squares.
So.....have you decided how you're voting this year?
LIB,MR BEARS
Are you happy with Trumps picks for judges?

Personally, I'm thrilled with his court picks so that allows me to tolerate a lot of other crap.

Most of trumps crap that you complain about has no significant impact on you or anyone else.
Bearitto
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Are you happy with Trumps picks for judges?

Personally, I'm thrilled with his court picks so that allows me to tolerate a lot of other crap.

Most of trumps crap that you complain about has no significant impact on you or anyone else.

The gulf between the shxt Trump says and the absolutely fantastic, constitutional and largely libertarian policies he enacts is incredibly wide. He is the most libertarian-conservative president the US has had since Reagan.
TexasScientist
Bearitto said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

In your imagination. Trump is an evidence based physical reality.
TexasScientist
Doc Holliday said:

So you're an isolationist?
TexasScientist
Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

True, we're not, but between the end of World War II and the start of the Trump Presidency, in many ways we we've sure acted like one. Among the many positive and in some cases historic things Trump has accomplished, turning this around is one of the things that's on the list.
Which charitable foreign aid has Trump eliminated that is positive in your view?
Doc Holliday
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Im all for globalization, but not supranational entities influencing and superseding US law or using US taxpayers to fund their agenda's.

I'm anti WHO, UN, EU, etc.

They fail to do their jobs and screw over the middle class American. We give them billions. I think that money should go to our problems FIRST.
TexasScientist
Doc Holliday said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Im all for globalization, but not supranational entities influencing and superseding US law or using US taxpayers to fund their agenda's.

They fail to do their jobs and screw over the middle class American. We give them billions. I think that money should go to our problems FIRST.
I don't necessarily disagree. What we do give needs effective controls to determine it is used as intended.
Doc Holliday
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

I don't necessarily disagree. What we do give needs effective controls to determine it is used as intended.
Yep, right now that money goes into ultra wealthy pockets. It's sad.
Whiskey Pete
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

He said that he's for American first, not for America only.
Johnny Bear
TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Which charitable foreign aid has Trump eliminated that is positive in your view?

One example is demanding that other NATO countries, that have been able to pay more of their fair share for decades now, actually start doing so. Withdrawing the USA from the ridiculous Paris Climate Accords is another example. For all intents and purposes, you can throw better trade deals in there too as he's moving us away from allowing trade partners to use bad deals as a form of charity. Furthermore, he isn't delivering piles of cash to the likes of Iran. Defunding the WHO is another wise financial move.

I know you hate all things Trump, but do you seriously think Joe Biden is the answer??
TexasScientist
Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

One example is demanding that other NATO countries, that have been able to pay more of their fair share for decades now, actually start doing so. Withdrawing the USA from the ridiculous Paris Climate Accords is another example. For all intents and purposes, you can throw better trade deals in there too as he's moving us away from allowing trade partners to use bad deals as a form of charity. Furthermore, he isn't delivering piles of cash to the likes of Iran. Defunding the WHO is another wise financial move.

I know you hate all things Trump, but do you seriously think Joe Biden is the answer??
I've never offered Biden up as a solution. I'm not a Biden supporter.
Johnny Bear
TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

So what's your answer? Throw your vote away on a 3rd party candidate? Sit on the sidelines and don't vote, but keep going full speed ahead with your complaining?
CHP Bear
Doc Holliday said:

I agree with you. However, The societal takers don't share our point of view.
CHP Bear
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

In order to achieve effective control would you 1) cut funding to wake the establishment up, 2) would you continue as is hoping things would change, or 3) would you increase funding to win the hearts and minds of the decision makers? Don't know about you but one number 1 sure is getting their attention. Kind of reminds me of the phrase, "Money talks and BS walks."
TexasScientist
Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

So what's your answer? Throw your vote away on a 3rd party candidate? Sit on the sidelines and don't vote, but keep going full speed ahead with your complaining?
I've been a life long Republican. The Republican Party that I knew, aside from certain foreign, econimic and domestic policies, once stood for character, honor, and integrity above all else. One of the most valuable things I have to give is my vote. I won't give that vote to someone who makes a mockery of those ideals. Witholding my vote doesn't diminish my right to speak out against someone who is dangerous to our country. The country would be for the better, if both conventions ended with a choice of different candidates.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

I've been a life long Republican. The Republican Party that I knew, aside from certain foreign, econimic and domestic policies, once stood for character, honor, and integrity above all else. One of the most valuable things I have to give is my vote. I won't give that vote to someone who makes a mockery of those ideals. Witholding my vote doesn't diminish my right to speak out against someone who is dangerous to our country. The country would be for the better, if both conventions ended with a choice of different candidates.
"character, honor and integrity above all else." Since these three things rank higher than policy and action, can I assume you never would have allied yourself with the Russians in order to defeat Nazi Germany? Do all of your partners in all of your dealings pass the squeaky-clean test that you ask Trump to pass?

TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

"character, honor and integrity above all else." Since these three things rank higher than policy and action, can I assume you never would have allied yourself with the Russians in order to defeat Nazi Germany? Do all of your partners in all of your dealings pass the squeaky-clean test that you ask Trump to pass?

Apples and oranges. Can I assume you would tolerate Stalin as our leader as long as we defeated Germany?
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Apples and oranges. Can I assume you would tolerate Stalin as our leader as long as we defeated Germany?
Why can't y'all accept the fact HRC lost
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.