Pompeo announces that Hong Kong is no longer autonomous from China

6,486 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jupiter
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tommie said:

I wish we had we had an organization where North America and Europe developed a relationship to cooperate with intelligence and work together for the mutual benefit of both. Top that off with a free trade agreement that would strengthen the other Asian countries in the region. Together , that could be powerful against China.

Naw, that's nonsense.
If only this were true. It sounds like a dream. How could any American be against a coalition that would help our worldwide positioning be stronger, especially against China?
Oldbear83
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Oldbear83 said:

Taiwan and Hong Kong are different cases.

China, putting it bluntly, does not have what it needs to invade and hold Taiwan. One reason for this, not generally discussed in media, is that both Japan and Vietnam have told Beijing that a PRC invasion of Taiwan would be seen by them as an act of military aggression against the region. The political cost alone would keep Beijing at bay.

Hong Kong is a different matter. For one thing, the island is not prepared, in any sense, to defend against invasion by PRC forces. Also, technically Hong Kong is already part of China, albeit as an 'autonomous region'. Add to that the immense financial value of Hong Kong's harbor and bourse, which Beijing has long coveted, and finally, but not least, the cultural threat of young Hong Kongese, who are very pro-American and anti-Beijing. The Central Committee has long desired to assert cultural control of Hong Kong, and it looks like they are taking that action now.
One of us is confused. My history teacher taught me Taiwan is a part of China.
You should visit Taipei and ask the folks there. I have, and I go by what they told me.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

China, putting it bluntly, does not have what it needs to invade and hold Taiwan. One reason for this, not generally discussed in media, is that both Japan and Vietnam have told Beijing that a PRC invasion of Taiwan would be seen by them as an act of military aggression against the region. The political cost alone would keep Beijing at bay.

Hong Kong is a different matter. For one thing, the island is not prepared, in any sense, to defend against invasion by PRC forces. Also, technically Hong Kong is already part of China, albeit as an 'autonomous region'. Add to that the immense financial value of Hong Kong's harbor and bourse, which Beijing has long coveted, and finally, but not least, the cultural threat of young Hong Kongese, who are very pro-American and anti-Beijing. The Central Committee has long desired to assert cultural control of Hong Kong, and it looks like they are taking that action now.
You should visit Taipei and ask the folks there. I have, and I go by what they told me.
Thanks for the advice. I will trust the documentation I found against your visit and interviews. Two years ago most Hong Kong folks would have said they are independent. They are not and found out they arent.

These are the countries that recognize the independence of Taiwan. Currently fifteen states recognise Taiwan as the ROC (and thus do not have official relations with Beijing): Belize, Guatemala, Haiti, Holy See, Honduras, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Nicaragua, Palau, Paraguay, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland and Tuvalu.

Nonoe of the other 179 countries recognize an independent Taiwan. Its hard to be believe the people told you Taiwan was not part of China. Maybe they were just joking with you.
Oldbear83

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Thanks for the advice. I will trust the documentation I found against your visit and interviews. Two years ago most Hong Kong folks would have said they are independent. They are not and found out they arent.

These are the countries that recognize the independence of Taiwan. Currently fifteen states recognise Taiwan as the ROC (and thus do not have official relations with Beijing): Belize, Guatemala, Haiti, Holy See, Honduras, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Nicaragua, Palau, Paraguay, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland and Tuvalu.

Nonoe of the other 179 countries recognize an independent Taiwan. Its hard to be believe the people told you Taiwan was not part of China. Maybe they were just joking with you.
Maybe you are too stubborn to accept that there are viable opinions from people who live there which disagree with your assumptions.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Which part of my post was an assumption? Its my facts vs the less than 1% of the Taiwanese people you asked ,Of course there are over 21 million people there so i suspect I am being very generous by saying you asked 1%.
D. C. Bear

Which part of my post was an assumption? Its my facts vs the less than 1% of the Taiwanese people you asked ,Of course there are over 21 million people there so i suspect I am being very generous by saying you asked 1%.

From a practical standpoint, Taiwan is not really part of China.
Oldbear83
D. C. Bear said:

Different currency, different laws, different history since 1945 but sure, let's go with Chairman Mao bc LIQR says so?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Different currency, different laws, different history since 1945 but sure, let's go with Chairman Mao bc LIQR says so?
Hong Kong has different laws different currency, different passports, They dont want to be a part of China either. But i was there when the first protests started and guess what they found out? They are a part of China.

Taiwan is recognized as a country by15 United Nations-recognized countries and OldBear83 and maybe DC.

The rest of the world, including the United States, Germany. italy, etc etc does not recognize Taiwan as an independent country.
Oldbear83

Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Hong Kong has different laws different currency, different passports, They dont want to be a part of China either. But i was there when the first protests started and guess what they found out? They are a part of China.

Taiwan is recognized as a country by15 United Nations-recognized countries and OldBear83 and maybe DC.

The rest of the world, including the United States, Germany. italy, etc etc does not recognize Taiwan as an independent country.
You have a real Maoist hard-on. Most people who "don't want to be part of China" get sympathetic attention from Americans.

But for the record, if Taiwan is "part of China" in any real sense, please tell the last 5 laws passed in Beijing which are enforced in Taipei.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Oh I am very sympathetic to them and even more so for HK. Alas, in the real world sympathy wont even buy a xup of coffee, much less make a country independent. If only we could have been a part of the TTP treaty like Tommy said earlier
Buddha Bear
GoneGirl said:

HuMcK said:

Absolutely the right call. I keep coming back to this, but right about now an up-and-running TPP would have been pretty dang nice to have as leverage in all of this. That said, China is going to do what they want to Hong Kong whether we like it or not. Hopefully we punish them for it if/when it happens.
You're right. Pompeo is right.

But I feel sick about it. I wouldn't want to live under the control of the Chinese government. I fear for the Hong Kong residents who have vigorously resisted Beijing.
Glad the UK stepped up and granted the ability for citizenship for 3 million Hong Kong citizens. Hard working people and strong advocates for democracy. The UK will be better for it.
Buddha Bear

Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

There isn't a single Chinese flag flying in Taiwan. Not one.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Buddha Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Pro-China-groups-could-undermine-Japan-Taiwan-ties

There may not be a single person living there that wants Beijing rule. It doesnt matter. I only fly a Texas flag at my ranch but that doesnt grant Texas independence.
Oldbear83

Buddha Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Pro-China-groups-could-undermine-Japan-Taiwan-ties

There may not be a single person living there that wants Beijing rule. It doesnt matter. I only fly a Texas flag at my ranch but that doesnt grant Texas independence.
Remind me again which laws passed in Beijing are observed in Taiwan?
Porteroso
Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

You went to Taiwan and asked the Taiwanese if they are a part of China? Why am I not surprised.
Oldbear83
Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

You went to Taiwan and asked the Taiwanese if they are a part of China? Why am I not surprised.
Not the way you imply. Like many who are not imbecilic, I talk to my friends and colleagues in conversation, and the PRC comes up from time to time. China has long made clear they want Taiwan to kowtow (look up the original meaning of that word sometime), and Taiwan is very clear what Beijing can do.

People in Taiwan have long memories and good judgment on how they want their own lives managed. They don't much care for their native politicians, but have no illusions that rule from Beijing would be anything but a nightmare.

The real question, Porteroso, is why you and your group have no problem condemning millions to tyranny just because the tyrant claims to have authority?

Porteroso
Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Not the way you imply. Like many who are not imbecilic, I talk to my friends and colleagues in conversation, and the PRC comes up from time to time. China has long made clear they want Taiwan to kowtow (look up the original meaning of that word sometime), and Taiwan is very clear what Beijing can do.

People in Taiwan have long memories and good judgment on how they want their own lives managed. They don't much care for their native politicians, but have no illusions that rule from Beijing would be anything but a nightmare.

The real question, Porteroso, is why you and your group have no problem condemning millions to tyranny just because the tyrant claims to have authority?

My group is Americans, and my question is why you can't tell the difference between a lefty and an independent who loathes both parties. Of course I know the answer, to a right wing radical, anyone other than another right wing radical must be a communist.
Oldbear83
Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

My group is Americans, and my question is why you can't tell the difference between a lefty and an independent who loathes both parties. Of course I know the answer, to a right wing radical, anyone other than another right wing radical must be a communist.
Quite the delirious rant you posted there, P.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
No here has "condemned" anyone. I just brought up facts, You relied on a few conversations. I hate what happened to Hong Kong and what might happen to Taiwan. I didnt cheer when our leader withdrew from a treaty that would have given a bigger stick in Asia. Instead we set up tariffs that hurt American consumers and help unions.
Oldbear83

No here has "condemned" anyone. I just brought up facts, You relied on a few conversations. I hate what happened to Hong Kong and what might happen to Taiwan. I didnt cheer when our leader withdrew from a treaty that would have given a bigger stick in Asia. Instead we set up tariffs that hurt American consumers and help unions.
The TPP was a very, very bad idea.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Oldbear83 said:

The TPP was a very, very bad idea.
Increasing American exports while increasing jobs for Americans and increasing our influence with some of the largest countries in the world. It allows China the ability to control a huge part of the world while we tax ourselves with tariffs to support unions.

But right now, our current trade policy the status quo puts our workers and businesses at a disadvantage, with higher costs for American goods, more barriers to trade, and lower standards for workers and the environment abroad than we have at home.

So instead of the TPP we are content with the status quo or even move more towards isolationism. Meanwhile China feeds with the smaller members at will.

Yeah. Terrible treaty
HuMcK
Whatever people think of the merits of the TPP, dropping out of it and letting China essentially take our place as lead dog to form their own trade pact is a mistake we will be paying off for generations. Killing TPP and immediately after initiating a trade war with China was quietly one of the worst own-goals of the Trump admin.
Oldbear83
Quite the fantasy you have there. The TPP would not have accomplished what you posted, of course, but you can dream.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Oldbear83 said:

Quite the fantasy you have there. The TPP would not have accomplished what you posted, of course, but you can dream.

We will never know now but of course in your little world you are always right.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Florda_mike
Oldbear83 said:

LIQ nightly wet dream = Chyna Chyna Chyna
Oldbear83

Oldbear83 said:

So what's life like when your mental age is always 12, LIQR?
Florda_mike
Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

So what's life like when your mental age is always 12, LIQR?

Shhhhh

You're ruining the 60+ year old man's nightly high
Porteroso
Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Loving America, being an independent, you mislabeling everything is delirious? You are actually afraid to engage. Your posting is sad.
Whiskey Pete
Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Loving America, being an independent, you mislabeling everything is delirious? You are actually afraid to engage. Your posting is sad.
Face it, anyone that disagrees with you, you label as radical. While someone's post may be sad, your posts are typically pathetic.
Porteroso
Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Face it, anyone that disagrees with you, you label as radical. While someone's post may be sad, your posts are typically pathetic.

It's only the right wing radicals that dominate this board that I call radicals. Do you know what prompted the old fellow's "why you and your group have no problem condemning millions to tyranny just because the tyrant claims to have authority?" I said it was funny that he went to Taiwan, and asked the Taiwanese if they were a part of China.

When all you can see is enemies, when light hearted comments get turned into" you condemn millions to tyrrany, " reason has left the building, and some desperate attempt to paint anyone who doesn't share one's very same ideals as evil enters.

It's when innocuous statements, simple political disagreements, differences of opinion, are made out to be evil, that you can find radicals. Radicals don't all burn down buildings or set off bombs. They are zealous people, fervent in their belief that they are right, absolutely, always. They inevitably aren't, but because their psyche depends on being right, anything that might give their truth a bit of trouble is evil.
Whiskey Pete
Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

It's only the right wing radicals that dominate this board that I call radicals. Do you know what prompted the old fellow's "why you and your group have no problem condemning millions to tyranny just because the tyrant claims to have authority?" I said it was funny that he went to Taiwan, and asked the Taiwanese if they were a part of China.

When all you can see is enemies, when light hearted comments get turned into" you condemn millions to tyrrany, " reason has left the building, and some desperate attempt to paint anyone who doesn't share one's very same ideals as evil enters.

It's when innocuous statements, simple political disagreements, differences of opinion, are made out to be evil, that you can find radicals. Radicals don't all burn down buildings or set off bombs. They are zealous people, fervent in their belief that they are right, absolutely, always. They inevitably aren't, but because their psyche depends on being right, anything that might give their truth a bit of trouble is evil.
You believe that anyone who is not a lame brained liberal is your enemy, porte.... try looking in the mirror for a change.
Porteroso
Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

You believe that anyone who is not a lame brained liberal is your enemy, porte.... try looking in the mirror for a change.

Again, I thoroughly dislike both parties. I could maybe be considered socially liberal, but in policy and fiscal matters, conservative. If you see libs in my posting, you probably see those nasty libs everywhere. Being afraid of libs is a whole worldview for some of you.
Whiskey Pete
Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Again, I thoroughly dislike both parties. I could maybe be considered socially liberal, but in policy and fiscal matters, conservative. If you see libs in my posting, you probably see those nasty libs everywhere. Being afraid of libs is a whole worldview for some of you.
If you can't see libs in your posts, then you're not only dumb, but deaf and blind too. Not to worry, sometimes children will outgrow it. You still have time.
Porteroso
Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83 said:

If you can't see libs in your posts, then you're not only dumb, but deaf and blind too. Not to worry, sometimes children will outgrow it. You still have time.

I can see you smirking as you type that, which makes me smile. I'm not into being the victim, it's ok for you to call me childish. I admit to it, it's fun to fight stupidity with childishness. I grew up in the golden age of Halo Xbox live, and at heart I still love that kind of trash talk. You're still a radical righty, you nasty boy.
Whiskey Pete
HuMcK said:

Still haven't seen you acknowledge the $16mil payment someone in China paid into Trump's secret Chinese bank account in 2017. That payment was right after Trump trashed the TPP, which ended up being resurrected this year anyway, but with China as the lead dog of the deal instead of the US like Obama/Biden had previously negotiated.
I have yet to see you acknowledge that Trump didn't collude with the russians
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.