Systemic (institutional) racism

4,027 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Johnny Bear
Porteroso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's not so hard. The system is responsible for education, justice, equal opportunity, etc. Of course there is no 1 system that encompasses all that, but sometimes you need a way to generalize, and blaming "the system" is an easy and quick way of doing that.

I understand that it's not all that factual or accurate, but if you'd like to have a discussion on how minorities don't have access to as good of education as whites, or how blacks are unfairly targeted by the justice system, or how minorities don't truly have the same opportunitiesas whites, all due to racism, that's an easy conversation to have, where the racism is clear from objective metrics.

You can whine about the term being overused and inaccurate, but you can't reasonably argue with the injustices the term attempts to describe.
Flaming Moderate
D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

The problem is that "systematic racism" is an emotional term to justify every negative outcome for African Americans. Absolutely it existed, but it hardly accounts for 100% of outcomes. Like many emotional arguments, when you ask for specifics and ask detailed questions, voices grow silent.

Terms are not emotional. People are emotional.
The practice of redlining is an example of systemic racism. No one really does that any more, but the denial of opportunity for African American families to build wealth through home ownership and starting business that it represented still has real consequences today. This is not emotional, it is not an attempt to "justify" anything. It is simply a description of what happened in the past and its continuing impact today.
Fair point. Let me re-state that "systematic racism" is a generic, general term that provides cover for appeals to emotion. These broad terms or used so arguments and people can be moved in and out depending on the grievance. It is like "people of color." *** does that mean? Non-whites? No, it really means African Americans and sometimes Hispanics, but it sounds better to make it more general.

Redlining was not a good practice but hardly can be blamed for every problem. Again, immigrants come over here with literally nothing and are able to build successful businesses without owning a home. Some of it is self-inflicted. I do not like argument by anecdote, but I will share a family story. My grandparents lived in a nice, post-WWII middle class neighborhood. After integration, the powers that be decided that their neighborhood would be integrated. Within 10 years, a nice middle class neighborhood looked like a war zone. That was not racism. That was people not having pride in their neighborhood and property. Again, it is not binary: we need to balance accountability and personal responsibility and realize it is economic not racial.
riflebear
br53
Jack and DP said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

I am not sure how racist the criminal justice system is but it sure favors those with the means to hire the best attorneys to fight the charges or get them reduced. I think that is why certain groups of people will always feel the system is racist. They see people that are in a better financial situation commit egregious crimes and get off with little time and then when they do get time they are usually in a better prison than those who are poor. Those who have public defenders feel like their representation is inadequate and that noone is fighting for the best deal and that their court appointed attorney just wants to take the first deal instead of fighting for a better deal.
Also, they see one of their peers get arrested very quickly after a crime and they see this policeman as being able to go home for a few days get all his affairs in order and then go to jail. He basically went home talked to an attorney and his family and told his wife to divorce him and likely put all assets in her name to protect his family. They feel that is not fair. I see both sides of the coin here.
While true, it has nothing to do with race. No system is - for lack of a better word - is "fair" in the sense that it treats every person absolutely the same in identical situations. However, that is an economic issue not a racial one. In every society since the dawn of time - outside Jesus' apostles - the rich and connected have advantages. While this may not be right, hardly surprising.
You say it has nothing to do with race but when the blacks and hispanics see in their eyes and minds that more of their race are in jail they see the system as broken and equate it to this. That is the system that they see as broken.
What about Asians and Indians? Why do you think they are not incarcerated as much? Do they not suffer from systematic racism?

Would you consider the problem might be some groups disproportionately commit more crimes? I have witnessed a person moving ahead in life by being told "it is not your fault," "blame others for your problems." Maybe they should be given positive role models and told do not blame others, you own your destiny.

They wanted to come to America. Many Blacks came on slave ships. Not a great start. I've got a doctor that is a recent immigrant and he's doing great. But, again, he wanted to come to America.
There are planes that leave everyday bound for other countries have them pick one and get on the corresponding plane to where they want to go. Send us a forwarding address so we can ship them their material possessions. You dont like it here you dont want to be here leave.

Don't understand your mindset. Well understood that Black Americans were brought to America against their will. I certainly understand if a person would resent that. Don't you?
I understand resenting that however none of the slave owners or captains of those vessels are still alive. You are no longer enslaved.

Ok, I get it.

It can be hard to escape, though. Often, you have to leave a familiar world behind. We had a really nice young man that was a janitor a couple of years back. Several of us would encourage him to join the national guard or apply for a better airport job. Real like able kid.
He showed up dead one day. When I interrogated the older lady janitor, she just dismissed it. He had fallen in with the wrong crowd and that was it. It was shocking that it happened, but even more shocking was her reaction. She'd had a brother murdered on an outside basketball court, so I guess she was numb to it.
That's two janitors that have been Murdered and one in prison for murder. Really sucks.
I understand. I have seen it happen also. I encourage every child that I meet to get their education and either go to college (4 year type), technical college/trade school, or join the military. Especially in my small hometown. I watched some of my friends who had come from generations of nothing go to school and get a degree and become very successful. A large majority of them are black. I also watched several who stayed and sat on the porch drinking beer, smoking blunts and making babies sink into the abyss, just like the generations before them. It is very sad. I am very hard nosed about education and working. My father had no parents after he was about 11 and was raised by people in his community. He put himself thru college and made his way out to teach my brother and I to work hard and go to school. Not everyone has parents like we had. That is probably the biggest issue: parenting or lack thereof in many instances. Many are raised by a grandma and have no strong positive male influence other than neighborhood wanna be gangsters or worse real gangsters.
br53
riflebear said:

Thanks I just ordered one for my son
D. C. Bear
br53 said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

I am not sure how racist the criminal justice system is but it sure favors those with the means to hire the best attorneys to fight the charges or get them reduced. I think that is why certain groups of people will always feel the system is racist. They see people that are in a better financial situation commit egregious crimes and get off with little time and then when they do get time they are usually in a better prison than those who are poor. Those who have public defenders feel like their representation is inadequate and that noone is fighting for the best deal and that their court appointed attorney just wants to take the first deal instead of fighting for a better deal.
Also, they see one of their peers get arrested very quickly after a crime and they see this policeman as being able to go home for a few days get all his affairs in order and then go to jail. He basically went home talked to an attorney and his family and told his wife to divorce him and likely put all assets in her name to protect his family. They feel that is not fair. I see both sides of the coin here.
While true, it has nothing to do with race. No system is - for lack of a better word - is "fair" in the sense that it treats every person absolutely the same in identical situations. However, that is an economic issue not a racial one. In every society since the dawn of time - outside Jesus' apostles - the rich and connected have advantages. While this may not be right, hardly surprising.
You say it has nothing to do with race but when the blacks and hispanics see in their eyes and minds that more of their race are in jail they see the system as broken and equate it to this. That is the system that they see as broken.
What about Asians and Indians? Why do you think they are not incarcerated as much? Do they not suffer from systematic racism?

Would you consider the problem might be some groups disproportionately commit more crimes? I have witnessed a person moving ahead in life by being told "it is not your fault," "blame others for your problems." Maybe they should be given positive role models and told do not blame others, you own your destiny.

They wanted to come to America. Many Blacks came on slave ships. Not a great start. I've got a doctor that is a recent immigrant and he's doing great. But, again, he wanted to come to America.
There are planes that leave everyday bound for other countries have them pick one and get on the corresponding plane to where they want to go. Send us a forwarding address so we can ship them their material possessions. You dont like it here you dont want to be here leave.

What a stupid post that is.
Let me ask you a question: If you are in a career or a relationship and you dont want to be there what do you do if you feel it is not beneficial to you or your growth? You leave for what you think will be better for you. So how is this a stupid post please expand on your 6 word post?

I am not sure it deserves more than a six word response.
You don't always leave a relationship or a job if there are bad parts of it. Sometimes you evaluate the situation and decide that your personal considerations are not as important as other considerations. Sometimes you don't have the money to just tell the boss to take this job and shove it. The idea that African Americans should leave their home and go live on the far side of the earth if they don't like getting randomly pulled over by cops based on the color of their skin is stupid.
Systemic Racism is about more than getting pulled over by the cops. Systemic Racism is believing the whole game is rigged against you and that Whitey is trying to hold you down at all turns no matter what you do. When that is your belief besides all indicators and evidence showing otherwise then you have to think that some other place has a better opportunity for you and your family. This is what black and brown Americans are saying the whole deck is stacked against them and nobody cares or will help them unless they can dribble a ball or tote the rock. It is false.

Systemic racism is not a "belief," it is an aspect of society, mostly left over from race-based laws that are now abolished.
Flaming Moderate
D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Let me ask you a question: If you are in a career or a relationship and you dont want to be there what do you do if you feel it is not beneficial to you or your growth? You leave for what you think will be better for you. So how is this a stupid post please expand on your 6 word post?

You don't always leave a relationship or a job if there are bad parts of it. Sometimes you evaluate the situation and decide that your personal considerations are not as important as other considerations. Sometimes you don't have the money to just tell the boss to take this job and shove it. The idea that African Americans should leave their home and go live on the far side of the earth if they don't like getting randomly pulled over by cops based on the color of their skin is stupid.
Systemic Racism is about more than getting pulled over by the cops. Systemic Racism is believing the whole game is rigged against you and that Whitey is trying to hold you down at all turns no matter what you do. When that is your belief besides all indicators and evidence showing otherwise then you have to think that some other place has a better opportunity for you and your family. This is what black and brown Americans are saying the whole deck is stacked against them and nobody cares or will help them unless they can dribble a ball or tote the rock. It is false.

Systemic racism is not a "belief," it is an aspect of society, mostly left over from race-based laws that are now abolished.
Or those still in place that encourage the breakdown of the family.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Porteroso said:

I understand that it's not all that factual or accurate, but if you'd like to have a discussion on how minorities don't have access to as good of education as whites, or how blacks are unfairly targeted by the justice system, or how minorities don't truly have the same opportunitiesas whites, all due to racism, that's an easy conversation to have, where the racism is clear from objective metrics.

A problem, though, is that especially among the left, differences are immediately attributed to race rather than considering whether or not certain cultural and behavioral problems within a race, for example, may be the dominant factor in disparate outcomes. It's as if the meaning of "racism" has been co-opted, and now racism means "anything that leads to disparate outcomes". We can't have real solutions, if the problem isn't dealt with honestly.

"...where the racism is clear from objective metrics." - can you cite a specific example? I'm not saying you're wrong. If systemic racism truly exists, then any reasonable person in this country would agree it needs to be fixed. But we need to have an honest conversation first.
Doc Holliday
The mob wants you to vote blue, accept that being white is bad, being a straight white Christian is public enemy #1 and that modern leftist progressive Marxism is the future.

That's what 90% of all this rioting and political bs is about.
Flaming Moderate
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

A problem, though, is that especially among the left, differences are immediately attributed to race rather than considering whether or not certain cultural and behavioral problems within a race, for example, may be the dominant factor in disparate outcomes. It's as if the meaning of "racism" has been co-opted, and now racism means "anything that leads to disparate outcomes". We can't have real solutions, if the problem isn't dealt with honestly.

"...where the racism is clear from objective metrics." - can you cite a specific example? I'm not saying you're wrong. If systemic racism truly exists, then any reasonable person in this country would agree it needs to be fixed. But we need to have an honest conversation first.
Or put simply ... every rich black person is significantly more privileged than every dirt poor white person.
Doc Holliday
You guys that had kids in the 80's and 90's...WTH!

Many 20yr 30yr olds believe they're not obligated to make arguments because they believe presenting an alternate view constitutes "violence" against them.

You can't reason with them. Why did you create so many people like this in my generation?
D. C. Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Or those still in place that encourage the breakdown of the family.

Without a doubt.
D. C. Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

Or put simply ... every rich black person is significantly more privileged than every dirt poor white person.

Depends on how you define "privileged." In any event, the term "white privilege" is not accurate. What some call "white privilege" is neither "white" nor "privilege."
Flaming Moderate
D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

Depends on how you define "privileged." In any event, the term "white privilege" is not accurate. What some call "white privilege" is neither "white" nor "privilege."
<Not being sarcastic>I did not think the definition was controversial. I would think the "textbook" definition.</Not being sarcastic>
Flaming Moderate
Doc Holliday said:

Many 20yr 30yr olds believe they're not obligated to make arguments because they believe presenting an alternate view constitutes "violence" against them.

You can't reason with them. Why did you create so many people like this in my generation?
This is a fundamental problem in political conversations today. We have reared a generation of snowflakes that completely lack the ability to engage in diverse points of view. They literally do nothing but post out-of-context information from bias-confirming sources and get angry when confronted with anything that contradicts.
fadskier
Doc Holliday said:

I have three children. My eldest is 24. We don't talk politics because he cannot take it if I disagree. It's like you said. He was raised in a supportive, Christian home. I can't explain his reactions other that he idealistic...as many of us were when we graduated college. We had a long discussion about police last night and was able to agree on some things.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Jack and DP
br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Don't understand your mindset. Well understood that Black Americans were brought to America against their will. I certainly understand if a person would resent that. Don't you?
I understand resenting that however none of the slave owners or captains of those vessels are still alive. You are no longer enslaved.

Ok, I get it.

It can be hard to escape, though. Often, you have to leave a familiar world behind. We had a really nice young man that was a janitor a couple of years back. Several of us would encourage him to join the national guard or apply for a better airport job. Real like able kid.
He showed up dead one day. When I interrogated the older lady janitor, she just dismissed it. He had fallen in with the wrong crowd and that was it. It was shocking that it happened, but even more shocking was her reaction. She'd had a brother murdered on an outside basketball court, so I guess she was numb to it.
That's two janitors that have been Murdered and one in prison for murder. Really sucks.
I understand. I have seen it happen also. I encourage every child that I meet to get their education and either go to college (4 year type), technical college/trade school, or join the military. Especially in my small hometown. I watched some of my friends who had come from generations of nothing go to school and get a degree and become very successful. A large majority of them are black. I also watched several who stayed and sat on the porch drinking beer, smoking blunts and making babies sink into the abyss, just like the generations before them. It is very sad. I am very hard nosed about education and working. My father had no parents after he was about 11 and was raised by people in his community. He put himself thru college and made his way out to teach my brother and I to work hard and go to school. Not everyone has parents like we had. That is probably the biggest issue: parenting or lack thereof in many instances. Many are raised by a grandma and have no strong positive male influence other than neighborhood wanna be gangsters or worse real gangsters.

Similar situation with my Dad. Hard nosed guy. No college, but put his three kids through private colleges, paying as he went. Good parents mean the world.
Jack and DP
Flaming Moderate said:

Doc Holliday said:

This is a fundamental problem in political conversations today. We have reared a generation of snowflakes that completely lack the ability to engage in diverse points of view. They literally do nothing but post out-of-context information from bias-confirming sources and get angry when confronted with anything that contradicts.

Why do you wanna talk about me like that???
Doc Holliday
fadskier said:

Doc Holliday said:

I have three children. My eldest is 24. We don't talk politics because he cannot take it if I disagree. It's like you said. He was raised in a supportive, Christian home. I can't explain his reactions other that he idealistic...as many of us were when we graduated college. We had a long discussion about police last night and was able to agree on some things.
The best way to confront their reasoning is to apply that reasoning to a situation that would be a burden on them.

It's more difficult on the topic of law enforcement. But as an example let's use government healthcare: you tell him he will be waiting in 3 hour lines to have a consultation and there will be instances where he doesn't get care because the system will now have preferences, rationing and wait times. And he will be paying more $$ for it.
D. C. Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

<Not being sarcastic>I did not think the definition was controversial. I would think the "textbook" definition.</Not being sarcastic>

You have the "privilege" of being rich, and you have the "privilege" of not being pulled over in your work van every couple of months because you are black. Which is a greater privilege?
jupiter

If someone disputes racism in the criminal justice system, show them this.

Quote:

At his Washington Post blog, Cato alumnus Radley Balko has cultivated a running list of data driven reports that show persistent, measurable, widespread, and common racial disparities in criminal justice enforcement. In police stops, sentencing, pretrial detention, the death penalty, and a host of other areas, enforcement disproportionately affects African Americans and Latinos. For those who study or work in criminal justice for a living, the racial disparities are glaring and the quantitative research supports our policy prescriptions. But most people aren't criminal justice wonks, and what Radley has created is a great public education resource about what our system is doing all around the nation.

The abundance of evidence Radley collected shows that our criminal justice system harasses and punishes racial minorities more harshly than whites. These findings are important because so many critics of justice reform and of activist groups like Black Lives Matter deny that many of these disparities exist. The denial of these problems which have been well known or, at least, strongly suspected in many American minority communities for all of living memory precludes the identification of any potential remedies.
Oldbear83
D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

You have the "privilege" of being rich, and you have the "privilege" of not being pulled over in your work van every couple of months because you are black. Which is a greater privilege?
This is a problem for me, using the word privilege to describe both contentions.

'Privilege' is a reward or special benefit, while bad things happening to you are punishment or persecution.

For example, I had a job once where we sold unusual games, like Cribbage or some of the early video games (this was in 1983). I had the privilege of being able to play games as part of my job, in order to show customers how they worked. On the other hand, in another job I had a boss who would punish people he did not like by giving them extra work, like ordering me to paint the outside of a building, after my regular work shirt, overnight with no work lights to even make sure the paint was even. I would not say that the employees who did not get this crap assignment were 'privileged', they simply were not punished by that dictator boss.

If you are rich, that is not a privilege, especially if you became rich by working hard and saving your money, which is how most rich people get rich. But someone who is poor may see someone who is rich as privileged, but that does not make it so. The poor person, for their part, may be poor through no fault of their own, or they could be some lazy idiot who could have made wealth for themselves but they blew their opportunities. I don't judge people, rich or poor, on the basis of their wealth, but on the basis of their actions and choices.

I do believe that when someone uses their power and influence to harm innocent people, they are doing evil and should be stopped from that kind of behavior, but that means focusing on the specific wrong-doer and on the victim who needs help, not looking for some innocent third party to attack just because they were not the target.
D. C. Bear
Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

This is a problem for me, using the word privilege to describe both contentions.

'Privilege' is a reward or special benefit, while bad things happening to you are punishment or persecution.

For example, I had a job once where we sold unusual games, like Cribbage or some of the early video games (this was in 1983). I had the privilege of being able to play games as part of my job, in order to show customers how they worked. On the other hand, in another job I had a boss who would punish people he did not like by giving them extra work, like ordering me to paint the outside of a building, after my regular work shirt, overnight with no work lights to even make sure the paint was even. I would not say that the employees who did not get this crap assignment were 'privileged', they simply were not punished by that dictator boss.

If you are rich, that is not a privilege, especially if you became rich by working hard and saving your money, which is how most rich people get rich. But someone who is poor may see someone who is rich as privileged, but that does not make it so. The poor person, for their part, may be poor through no fault of their own, or they could be some lazy idiot who could have made wealth for themselves but they blew their opportunities. I don't judge people, rich or poor, on the basis of their wealth, but on the basis of their actions and choices.

I do believe that when someone uses their power and influence to harm innocent people, they are doing evil and should be stopped from that kind of behavior, but that means focusing on the specific wrong-doer and on the victim who needs help, not looking for some innocent third party to attack just because they were not the target.

That is why I said it depends on how you want to define privilege.
bularry
Ta-Nehisi Coates book about history of racism in America called "Between the World and Me" might shed some light on the Black American experience.
Jack and DP
br53
Jack and DP said:

They dont want to lose any clients.
whitetrash
Jack and DP said:

Quote:

We're devastated, grieving, and outraged by violence against Black lives**. We must continue to demand accountability, justice, and an end to the inequity that continues to define every moment of life for Black America from the racist institutions that uphold white supremacy.

**Unless they are babies. Then we help kill them.
Flaming Moderate
Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

I see both your points. "Privilege" may be a bad word. We just have to come to terms with the fact that below Heaven every person is born with diverse advantages or disadvantages. They could be economic, cultural, personal, physical. Impossible to change. Does not mean we should not actively seek to even the playing field, but no particular group is privileged - individuals are. (DC: to answer, I'd take rich 10/10 times)
Doc Holliday
Flaming Moderate said:

Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

I see both your points. "Privilege" may be a bad word. We just have to come to terms with the fact that below Heaven every person is born with diverse advantages or disadvantages. They could be economic, cultural, personal, physical. Impossible to change. Does not mean we should not actively seek to even the playing field, but no particular group is privileged - individuals are. (DC: to answer, I'd take rich 10/10 times)
The disadvantaged want to equalize the results. They have no intention of an even playing field.

Never have they defined a single for rule everyone.
Porteroso
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

I don't mind at all having this conversation. I agree that the left is just as blind as the right when it comes to race, but the left's blindness is at least going to result in better things for blacks. The right just wants to pretend nothing bad ever happened, oh and don't move into my neighborhood black people. Stay over there.

The justice system is the easiest place to start. African Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested; once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted; and once convicted, and they are more likely to experience lengthy prison sentences. African-American adults are 5.9 times as likely to be incarcerated than whites and Hispanics are 3.1 times as likely.4) As of 2001, one of every three black boys born in that year could expect to go to prison in his lifetime, as could one of every six Latinos, compared to one of every seventeen white boys.

I don't have the statistics offhand, but blacks are not committing 17x more crimes than whites, though they are 17x more likely to go to prison. Blacks commit something like 3x more violent crimes than whites, from my recollection.

This alone is a problem, but of course blacks are treated worse by police as well. A black person, plainly put, is on all levels starting from the possibility of being pulled over or approached by a cop, straight up to sentencing length, treated unfairly by the justice system. The ironic part of this is that only in the lethal use of force category do blacks not seem to be unfairly treated.

Next, education. In the interest of not posting walls of text, I'll be brief, with links. Racial bias in student treatment from teachers.

Next, employment. Blacks continue to face systematically higher unemployment rates, fewer job opportunities, lower pay, poorer benefits, and greater job instability.

Do you disagree with any of that? Again, I don't like how the term systemic racism is used, but what it describes is entirely, totally correct. Not all of the system is racist, I would venture most teachers, most employers, most judges, are not overtly racist. But enough subtle racism, or outright racism, exists for statistical anomalies that cannot be accounted for by anything other than race.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

Bulk***** My 23 year old is just fine in a discussion. He was also a top debater so don't bring a knife to his gunfight, snowflake.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Canada2017
The premise that only whites are racist is tired old propaganda.

Frankly it's just ridiculous.

The Japanese believe themselves to be superior, as do the Persians .

Koreans believe themselves to be superior as do the Apaches .

Germans believe themselves to be superior as do the Saudis.

See that Mexican digging a drainage ditch over there ?
Old Juan doesn't just think he's the best.....he KNOWS it .

contrario
Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

I don't mind at all having this conversation. I agree that the left is just as blind as the right when it comes to race, but the left's blindness is at least going to result in better things for blacks. The right just wants to pretend nothing bad ever happened, oh and don't move into my neighborhood black people. Stay over there.

The justice system is the easiest place to start. African Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested; once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted; and once convicted, and they are more likely to experience lengthy prison sentences. African-American adults are 5.9 times as likely to be incarcerated than whites and Hispanics are 3.1 times as likely.4) As of 2001, one of every three black boys born in that year could expect to go to prison in his lifetime, as could one of every six Latinos, compared to one of every seventeen white boys.

I don't have the statistics offhand, but blacks are not committing 17x more crimes than whites, though they are 17x more likely to go to prison. Blacks commit something like 3x more violent crimes than whites, from my recollection.

This alone is a problem, but of course blacks are treated worse by police as well. A black person, plainly put, is on all levels starting from the possibility of being pulled over or approached by a cop, straight up to sentencing length, treated unfairly by the justice system. The ironic part of this is that only in the lethal use of force category do blacks not seem to be unfairly treated.

Next, education. In the interest of not posting walls of text, I'll be brief, with links. Racial bias in student treatment from teachers.

Next, employment. Blacks continue to face systematically higher unemployment rates, fewer job opportunities, lower pay, poorer benefits, and greater job instability.

Do you disagree with any of that? Again, I don't like how the term systemic racism is used, but what it describes is entirely, totally correct. Not all of the system is racist, I would venture most teachers, most employers, most judges, are not overtly racist. But enough subtle racism, or outright racism, exists for statistical anomalies that cannot be accounted for by anything other than race.
I almost stopped reading after you said, " The right just wants to pretend nothing bad ever happened." What an ignorant statement to make. The real problem is that people on both sides of the argument have this mindset: "my way is right and the other way is wrong." As long as you approach the debate in that manner, we will never find the answer.

With that disclaimer, I have no doubt all of your stats are right. I also have no doubt someone on the other end of the argument could find equally convincing stats that would oppose what you said. I'm more interested in the story behind the stats and more interested in comparing like-kind situations (situations where the only difference is the race of the two people being examined). There are many factors that contribute to perceived institutional racism, and we need to improve those factors within those communities. It isn't going to happen overnight though, and i would hope we can all agree society as a whole is better than it was 10, 20 or even 30 years ago, even if we have steps back like the current situation. The problem is that the answer is not easy and it certainly can't be summed up in a post worth writing on a message board that is read regularly by about 10 people.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bulk***** My 23 year old is just fine in a discussion. He was also a top debater so don't bring a knife to his gunfight, snowflake.
Well good on you, I was born in that era as well so I'm not referring to all, but many 20 to 30 year olds.

You know it's a problem though when many millennials don't argue their views because they perceive all other views as racist.
Flaming Moderate
Doc Holliday said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Oldbear83 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

D. C. Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

The disadvantaged want to equalize the results. They have no intention of an even playing field.

Never have they defined a single for rule everyone.
True. Except they want to be excluded from the equalizing process.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.