Baylor University announcement

16,142 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by boognish_bear
GrowlTowel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mitch Henessey said:

The_barBEARian said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

No

If Baylor owned slaves, you can bet your life on it.
I'm curious if you and the multitude of others here have even read the resolution. They are looking at changing the names of some buildings. This part isnt to you Mothra but to others here: Please stop trying to exaggerate everything and then calling what yall have completely made up communism.
Well when they change the names of buildings and remove statues and moments from campus... I am sure BMD like you will step in and fill the fundraising void that will follow.
I doubt there will be an exodus of donors because of the renaming of a few buildings that no living donors knew nor had ever heard of the namesake outside of that specific building.

If there is a single named changed due to this social justice bull**** and without a vote of the living alumni, I and my generation line are out. I went to Baylor because it was Baylor and specifically not a brain washing liberal plantation.

You can get social justice brain washing anywhere. No reason to pedal that ignorance at Baylor.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
The_barBEARian
GrowlTowel said:

Mitch Henessey said:

The_barBEARian said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

No

I'm curious if you and the multitude of others here have even read the resolution. They are looking at changing the names of some buildings. This part isnt to you Mothra but to others here: Please stop trying to exaggerate everything and then calling what yall have completely made up communism.
Well when they change the names of buildings and remove statues and moments from campus... I am sure BMD like you will step in and fill the fundraising void that will follow.
I doubt there will be an exodus of donors because of the renaming of a few buildings that no living donors knew nor had ever heard of the namesake outside of that specific building.

If there is a single named changed due to this social justice bull**** and without a vote of the living alumni, I and my generation line are out. I went to Baylor because it was Baylor and specifically not a brain washing liberal plantation.

You can get social justice brain washing anywhere. No reason to pedal that ignorance at Baylor.
Right there with you!!! I'll send my kids to Falwell U
BaylorFTW
Some questions:
1. What do you think the Founder of the school would think about this development?
2. What does it say that Baylor is so influenced by external factors rather than internal ones? What does BU truly stand for?
3. What has really changed that would require any change at Baylor? And shouldn't we instead see this as just the latest series of missteps (or deliberate steps) by Baylor (gay affirming minister giving a pro gay talk, Spiritual lady leading a vague prayer suggesting worshiping nature, etc.).
BearTruth13
PartyBear said:

Preserved and protected? What do you mean? The campus has twice as many buildings as the Baylor I attended in the 80s. It is always changing. Names on building etc. change. Did you join in calling the new stadium Marxism and not preserving Baylor? Did you protest the old stadium being torn down and nothing being named Floyd Casey (which was not the name of stadium when I went there btw) anymore? Hell did you protest them changing the name of the stadium to Floyd Casey in the first place? Give it a rest with the theatrics.

You have to understand that it'll never be enough for some people. In 20 years, the new names will be offensive for some reason. Some people like yourself wake up looking for reasons to be offended in the morning. A sad way to live but you do you.

I'm not a big fan of the RG3. He is an adulterer that left his wife and newborn daughter for a model. I'm not clamoring for his statue to come down. He made a significant impact on Baylor and I can see beyond his failings.
BearlySpeaking
bear2be2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bear2be2 said:

A question for all you boomers out there:

So please let us know what people born between 1946 and 1964 hate exactly? So you are prejudiced against people solely because of their age? You are a work in progress. Not sure you got this woke thing completely figured out yet.
Change, for one.
Are you serious? You do know that the boomers were the ones who launched the radical cultural and political movements of the 60s, including feminism, open drug use, removal of limits on sexual activity, idolization of Marxists like Mao and Marcuse, opposition to the Vietnam war, and that progressive ideologies were brought into the universities as more members of that generation became tenured, don't you? Whether I agree with what they supported or not, I can't even begin to call that hating "change."

If you are going to subsume everyone who doesn't agree with you into a monolithic identitarian political scheme you can use to justify your contempt or hatred of them, at least get the history right about what is behind the label.
drahthaar
BylrFan said:

do people actually think baylor would change their name and lose a strong brand they've built for over 100 years to start fresh?

changing the school name is bad business, plain and simple
We've done a lot of that "bad business" since about 1992 or so.
GrowlTowel
The_barBEARian said:

GrowlTowel said:

Mitch Henessey said:

The_barBEARian said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

No

Send your kids wherever you want friend. Baylor teaches how to think, or at least it did. There is no thinking with social justice. . . Just empty chants by clueless tools.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Mitch Henessey
GrowlTowel said:

Mitch Henessey said:

The_barBEARian said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

No

Peddle.

The_barBEARian said:

GrowlTowel said:

Mitch Henessey said:

The_barBEARian said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

No

I mean, if you want to send your kids to a real estate hedge fund masquerading as a not for profit university, go for it. Falwell Jr. is a Prosperity Gospel hack and an opportunist.
BusyTarpDuster2017
I guess Baylor needs to dissociate from the Bible. "Slaves, obey your masters..."
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BearTruth13 said:

PartyBear said:

Preserved and protected? What do you mean? The campus has twice as many buildings as the Baylor I attended in the 80s. It is always changing. Names on building etc. change. Did you join in calling the new stadium Marxism and not preserving Baylor? Did you protest the old stadium being torn down and nothing being named Floyd Casey (which was not the name of stadium when I went there btw) anymore? Hell did you protest them changing the name of the stadium to Floyd Casey in the first place? Give it a rest with the theatrics.

You have to understand that it'll never be enough for some people. In 20 years, the new names will be offensive for some reason. Some people like yourself wake up looking for reasons to be offended in the morning. A sad way to live but you do you.

I'm not a big fan of the RG3. He is an adulterer that left his wife and newborn daughter for a model. I couldn't care less if his statue came down.
RGIII won the Heisman Trophy and put Baylor on the major college football map after being a laughingstock the previous 15 years. Such a great opportunity to spread the Word and build great things. Yet with our leadership, it was simply about power and self-preservation.

No doubt RGIII is not a perfect man but I certainly don't know his life circumstances. It is not my place to judge him. If you and the other Baylor zealots are looking for perfect men, there are none. You should go ahead and just burn it down and be done with it. Such Spiritual Vanity by the leadership and blind followers of Baylor have driven many alumni way. I am hoping this trend can be reversed, but after President Livingstone's recent press releases and judgmental posts such as yours don't give me hope for the long-term survival of Baylor University.
BearTruth13
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BearTruth13 said:

PartyBear said:

I'm not a big fan of the RG3. He is an adulterer that left his wife and newborn daughter for a model. I couldn't care less if his statue came down.
RGIII won the Heisman Trophy and put Baylor on the major college football map after being a laughingstock the previous 15 years. Such a great opportunity to spread the Word and build great things. Yet with our leadership, it was simply about power and self-preservation.

No doubt RGIII is not a perfect man but I certainly don't know his life circumstances. It is not my place to judge him. If you and the other Baylor zealots are looking for perfect men, there are none. You should go ahead and just burn it down and be done with it. Such Spiritual Vanity by the leadership and blind followers of Baylor have driven many alumni way. I am hoping this trend can be reversed, but after President Livingstone's recent press releases and judgmental posts such as yours don't give me hope for the long-term survival of Baylor University.

You misunderstood my post.

I'm on your side here buddy.

Im not a fan of RG3's personal choices but I respect that he is the first Heisman for Baylor and helped the university grow. I meant that though he is far from perfect, I'm not clamoring to have his statue ripped down.

I feel the same about other statues on campus.
boognish_bear
Some people are still giving

SIC EM 94
That can certainly change, depending on what direction the university goes.
Wichitabear
Osodecentx said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

No

Do you think Judge Baylor's statue will not be removed? Is this an exaggeration?

From WTH: Steuben said taking down some of visible reminders of Baylor's past racism is only the first step.
I know it's just a statue but I don't want it taken down.
Mothra
PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

No

I agree that is what the resolution says.

My point was, if we dig up Baylor's past and find he was a slave owner, you can bet there will be calls by the "activists" to change the name.

These sorts of conversations are already happening at Yale.

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/yale_must_change_its_name/
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BearTruth13 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BearTruth13 said:

PartyBear said:

You misunderstood my post.

I'm on your side here buddy.

Im not a fan of RG3's personal choices but I respect that he is the first Heisman for Baylor and helped the university grow. I meant that though he is far from perfect, I'm not clamoring to have his statue ripped down.

I feel the same about other statues on campus.
I gotcha BearTruth. My apologies. Thanks for the clarification.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
All those sniveling lefties at BU laughing in the background about destroying the University's foundations.

This isn't about virtue ya'll. The crowd behind this movement hates christianity. They want to steal Baylor and transform it into an institution of their own religion.
boognish_bear
historian
I'm surprised he remembered their names!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BaylorFTW
boognish_bear said:

I certainly hope this isn't the reason why the changes were made.
BaylorFTW
historian said:

I'm surprised he remembered their names!
Just because he said the names doesn't mean he knows who they are.
Russell Gym
BaylorFTW said:

boognish_bear said:

Does some evidence point to this conclusion or does the timing of the announcement - or both? Or nothing at all?
PartyBear
BaylorFTW said:

boognish_bear said:

Can you list the changes that were made?
BaylorFTW
Russell Gym said:

BaylorFTW said:

boognish_bear said:

Does some evidence point to this conclusion or does the timing of the announcement - or both? Or nothing at all?
Just the timing of it.
Osodecentx
Wichitabear said:

Osodecentx said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

No

Do you think Judge Baylor's statue will not be removed? Is this an exaggeration?

From WTH: Steuben said taking down some of visible reminders of Baylor's past racism is only the first step.
I know it's just a statue but I don't want it taken down.
Me neither
GoneGirl
atomicblast said:

Who are we appeasing to?
Did you take English comp at Baylor?
57Bear
Mitch Henessey said:

The problem is not in renaming a few buildings. The problem is what is the next demand and the next ...
57Bear
Jinx 2 said:

atomicblast said:

Who are we appeasing to?
The answer for many of us would be no - BU required me to take only English literature. But I did take four courses in German.
Oldbear83
57Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

atomicblast said:

Who are we appeasing to?
The answer for many of us would be no - BU required me to take only English literature. But I did take four courses in German.
Ich auch
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
GoneGirl
57Bear said:

Mitch Henessey said:

The problem is not in renaming a few buildings. The problem is what is the next demand and the next ...
At a school where the administration bulldozed the Hughes-Dillard Alumni Center as one salvo in an interneccine war, the problem isn't naming buildings; it's keeping them intact. Out of idle curiosity, would that building have been on the list of candidates for new names?
Russell Gym
Apparently no one here knows much about Hughes-Dillard namesakes, including me. Stranger?

What, if any, names of buildings on campus are in jeopardy? Any statues that may possibly be considered for removal, or none?
PartyBear
What statues does tha campus even have? It isn't A&M.

I can only think of

Baylor, Burleson, immortal 10, Teaff, RGIII, Jesus and Pippa. There are statues in the new school of recent donors and one or two old profs.
Wichitabear
None of those need to come down. None
whitetrash
Russell Gym said:

Apparently no one here knows much about Hughes-Dillard namesakes, including me. Stranger?

What, if any, names of buildings on campus are in jeopardy? Any statues that may possibly be considered for removal, or none?

I think the Hughes and Dillards were from Mexia and had roots in the first wave of oil discoveries in Texas (Mexia and Corsicana had an oil boom in the 1890s, 10 years before Spindletop).

I can't think of any buildings on campus named for anyone whose primary wealth came from antebellum agriculture that could be traced to slaveholding. The ones I know off the top of my head:

Carroll (Beaumont oil family who were lead investors in Spindletop)
Marrs McLean (another early 20th century SE Texas oilman)
Hankamer (mid 20th century oil/cattle from W of Houston)
Sid Richardson (Mid 20th century oilman, gave to numerous schools in TX)
Ruth Collins (wife of Carr Collins; Dallas insurance company founder)
DK Martin (early 20th century cattle)
Kokernot (mid 20th century cattle & oil in far west Texas)
Castellaw (family gave in memory of son killed in Immortal Ten)
Brooks (former BU president)
Mayborn (owned KCEN tv and Temple Daily Telegram)
Hurd (Silicon Valley)
McLane (late 20th century grocery distribution)
Turner (dr pepper bottler)
Whetsel (Coke bottler)
GEtterman (7Up bottler)
Armstrong (BU English professor)
Browning (19th century English poets)
Dawson (wife of Baptist minister)
Truett (Baptist minister)
Poage (longtime congressman)
Umphrey (Beaumont plaintiffs lawyer)

Ones I don't know the history of the family:
Allen
Penland
Russell
McCrary
Lewis
Tidwell
Morrison

Only possibilities that could have a potential connection:

Burleson (prominent 19th century Baptist educators from the Deep South)
Moody (Galveston based insurance fortune founded in 1847; may have insured slaves before the War)
Daniel (prominent Texas family from Liberty, not sure if they go back to prewar days)
Pat Neff (governor during the 1920s when the KKK made a resurgence)

But who knows. Somebody's ancestor in the early 19th century may have said "a woman's place is in the home" which would require them to be expunged from history.
Russell Gym
Quite a list - Thanks for taking the time!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.