Baylor University announcement

15,931 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by boognish_bear
Username checks out
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Russell Gym said:

Quite a list - Thanks for taking the time!

The right wing snowflakes are already composing their letters of fake outrage on behalf of peoples they never knew until it became advantageous to do so.
SIC EM 94
Username checks out said:

Russell Gym said:

The right wing snowflakes are already composing their letters of fake outrage on behalf of peoples they never knew until it became advantageous to do so.

Says the social justice clown that had zero issue with any of this until someone told him he needed to be offended.
Username checks out
SIC EM 94 said:

Russell Gym said:

Says the social justice clown that had zero issue with any of this until someone told him he needed to be offended.

I dont have any problem with Baylor's names. If someone else did though I'd listen to them.
GrowlTowel

SIC EM 94 said:

Russell Gym said:

I dont have any problem with Baylor's names. If someone else did though I'd listen to them.

Is that how you arrived at your 17 genders theory?
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Username checks out
GrowlTowel said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Russell Gym said:

Is that how you arrived at your 17 genders theory?

I dont know what 17 genders are but I'm sure the bare mention of such a thing triggers a fight-or-flight emotion across half of the fundies, and a new pr0n to Google for the other half.
boognish_bear
Redbrickbear
Looks like Baylor wants to get in on that sweet Orwellian memory hole action like UT-Austin and a bunch of other secular universities.

I'm sure if they look long enough they can find some building named after some guy who expressed views deemed racist by 2020 standards.
nein51
The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

Oxford University's chancellor, Chris Patten, discussed student demands to remove Cecil Rhodes statue on BBC radio.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/oxford-letter-to-students/

"But if people at a university are not prepared to demonstrate the sort of generosity of spirit which Nelson Mandela showed towards Rhodes and towards history, if they are not prepared to embrace all those values which are contained in the most important book for any undergraduate, Karl Popper's Open Society, if they are not prepared to embrace those issues then maybe they should think about being educated elsewhere. But I hope they will embrace those issues and engage in debate."
Patten styled the objections to Rhodes as along the lines of the "safe spaces" policies adopted on many university campuses in Britain and the US, which critics have said are used to suppress debate on a range of issues.
"That focus on Rhodes is unfortunate but it's an example of what's happening in American campuses and British campuses," Patten said. "One of the points of a university which is not to tolerate intolerance, to engage in free inquiry and debate is being denied. People have to face up to facts in history which they don't like and talk about them and debate them."
He added: "Can you imagine a university where there is no platform? I mean a bland diet of bran to feed people, it's an absolutely terrible idea. If you want universities like that you go to China where they are not allowed to talk about western values, which I regard as global values. No, it's not the way a university should operate."

South Africa is actually the perfect case study for the future we are heading in. Nelson Mandela was a gentile, humble, and forgiving leader who was followed by progressively more divisive and corrupt leaders who tanked the country's economy and infrastructure by aggressively going after whites and creating a massive "brain drain".

Is South Africa "better" post apartheid. Not freer, not more equal, not kinder/gentler or more integrated. Is it better?

The AP ran an article last year about it being the most unequal country in the world. Unemployment was over 25% before the pandemic.
STxBear81
I'm sure they could
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I long for simpler days when you didn't kiss and tell and did not worry about who was loving who behind closed doors. It was none of anyone's business. Baylor should decide if they want to remain a Baptist University. For the record, I don't care one way or the other.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
NeuroticBear
boognish_bear said:

Yep, this was inevitable. Baylor will be canceling its own organizations if they espouse Biblical doctrine that offends the left--all in the name of "equality".
57Bear
... said:

... Baylor should decide if they want to remain a Baptist University. ...
Didn't Herb Reynolds make that decision when he essentially removed Southern Baptist oversight/control of the board of regents?
PartyBear
Reynold's actions actually led for the first almost 30 years a more conservative and frankly backwards Baylor such as the creation science center idea etc. I think in the wake of the entire Starr Title 9 debacle Baylor has finally decided its time to give more than lip service to trying to be a top notch university and to be very serious about things. That is one silver lining to that entire debacle.
whitetrash
57Bear said:

... said:

... Baylor should decide if they want to remain a Baptist University. ...
Didn't Herb Reynolds make that decision when he essentially removed Southern Baptist oversight/control of the board of regents?
Baylor was never an SBC institution; trustees were appointed by the BGCT. Charter change in 1990 was in case of a fundie takeover of BGCT (which, unlike the SBC, never fell to the fundies) they couldn't take control of the BU board.

What was not foreseen at the time was that Sloan and Buddy would conspire to pack the board with their syncophants and take it off in a whole different direction.
PartyBear
I was going to say what you said in your first paragraph white trash but then I figured people would quibble that the Texas Baptist Convention was made up of Southern Baptist. So technically Southern Baptists did used to have some oversight. Frankly the BOR is still primarily Southern Baptists I would bet.
Osodecentx
Here is commission to look at statues and buildings. Not much diversity. They've probably have a draft written before meeting

Commission on Historic Campus Representations
*26 members*
Baylor Degrees in Parentheses
Commission Co-Chairs
  • Alicia D.H. Monroe, M.D., Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs, Baylor College of Medicine and member, Baylor Board of Regents
  • Gary Mortenson, D.M.A., Professor and Dean, Baylor University School of Music
  • Walter Abercrombie (B.S. '82, M.S.Ed. '92), Associate Athletics Director for Baylor "B" Association
Commission Members
  • Katie Adair (Doctoral Candidate), President, Graduate Student Association
  • Joel Allison (B.A. '70), retired President and CEO, Baylor Scott & White Health; former Chair, Baylor Board of Regents
  • Jayson Baldridge, Senior, Student-Athlete, Track & Field
  • Lexy Bogney, Junior, Secretary and Community Coordination Chair, Baylor NAACP
  • Michael A. Evans, Sr. (D.Min. '09), Senior Pastor, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Mansfield, TX member Baylor Board of Regents, and President, Baptist General Convention of Texas
  • Malcolm Foley (Ph.D. Candidate), Special Advisor to the President for Equity and Campus Engagement
  • Cheryl Gochis (B.A. '91, M.A. '94), Vice President, Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer
  • Dominque Hill, Director of Wellness and Past-President, Black Faculty and Staff Association
  • Sutton Houser, Senior, Student Body President
  • Trent Hughes (B.A. '98), Vice President of Sales, Curazene and Vice President, Baylor Alumni Board of Advocates
  • Sher Isada, Junior, University Scholar, and Student Regent
  • Alan Lefever (B.A. '84), Director, Texas Baptist Historical Collection and member, Baylor Alumni Board of Advocates
  • Sandra Len, Associate Vice President, Operations and Financial Services, Advancement
  • Mark Lovvorn (B.B.A. '76, B.Acc. '77), Chairman and CEO Providence Bancshares Corporation, Dallas, TX and member, Baylor Board of Regents
  • Michael McFarland (B.B.A. '93, Ed.D. '05), Superintendent of Schools, Crowley Independent School District and member, Baylor Board of Regents
  • Bill Neilson, M.D., (B.A. '76), retired Associate Dean, Honors College and Clinical Professor, Medical Humanities
  • Michael Parrish, Ph.D. (B.A. '74, M.A. '76), Linden G. Bowers Professor of American History
  • Coretta Pittman, Ph.D., Associate Professor of English and Chair-Elect, Faculty Senate
  • Mia Moody-Ramirez, Ph.D. (M.S.Ed. '98, M.A. '01), Professor and Chair, Journalism, Public Relations and New Media
  • Marcus Sedberry, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Student-Athlete Development
  • Tyrha Lindsey-Warren, Ph.D., Clinical Assistant Professor of Marketing
  • Doug Weaver, Ph.D., Professor of Religion, Undergraduate Program Director and Director of Church-State Studies
  • Mya Ellington-Williams, Senior, member, Black Student Union
Ex-Officio Commission Members
  • Kristy Orr (J.D. '03), Baylor University Board Professional
  • Todd Copeland, Ph.D. (B.A. '90), Director, Advancement Marketing
  • Karen Kemp (B.B.A. '84, M.B.A. '85), Associate Vice President, University Marketing and Brand Strategy

We believe now is the time for Baylor, as a Christian university, to lead by listening and learning with humility about our past and from voices that have been unheard for years while also taking tangible steps forward. In addition to making an important and visible contribution to today's campus and Baylor community, the Commission's work will create a lasting legacy for future generations of Baylor Bears.
Thank you for your love and support of Baylor University.
Sincerely,
Mark Rountree
Chair, Board of Regents
Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D.
President
Redbrickbear
A quote with relevance to Baylor and its new attitude to statue removal.

[Conservatives in all walks of life since the 60's have proven time and time again that they value process over outcomes. For instance someone fed trump himself a line that it's ok if statues come down, he just wants it done in a legal manner.

We're reaching the endpoint of this strategy, which consists of the left wanting something, conservatives objecting, the left achieving what it wanted, and conservatives then defending the lefts victory as if they wanted it all along.

Conservatives have begun to run out of territory (things) to surrender. What we're seeing now is a last stand in some bunker with the leaders of the conservative movement walking outside and joining their opponents, since retreating even further back isn't available anymore.]
Stranger
Osodecentx said:

Here is commission to look at statues and buildings. Not much diversity. They've probably have a draft written before meeting

Commission on Historic Campus Representations
*26 members*
Baylor Degrees in Parentheses
Commission Co-Chairs
  • Alicia D.H. Monroe, M.D., Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs, Baylor College of Medicine and member, Baylor Board of Regents
  • Gary Mortenson, D.M.A., Professor and Dean, Baylor University School of Music
  • Walter Abercrombie (B.S. '82, M.S.Ed. '92), Associate Athletics Director for Baylor "B" Association
Commission Members
  • Katie Adair (Doctoral Candidate), President, Graduate Student Association
  • Joel Allison (B.A. '70), retired President and CEO, Baylor Scott & White Health; former Chair, Baylor Board of Regents
  • Jayson Baldridge, Senior, Student-Athlete, Track & Field
  • Lexy Bogney, Junior, Secretary and Community Coordination Chair, Baylor NAACP
  • Michael A. Evans, Sr. (D.Min. '09), Senior Pastor, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Mansfield, TX member Baylor Board of Regents, and President, Baptist General Convention of Texas
  • Malcolm Foley (Ph.D. Candidate), Special Advisor to the President for Equity and Campus Engagement
  • Cheryl Gochis (B.A. '91, M.A. '94), Vice President, Human Resources/Chief Human Resources Officer
  • Dominque Hill, Director of Wellness and Past-President, Black Faculty and Staff Association
  • Sutton Houser, Senior, Student Body President
  • Trent Hughes (B.A. '98), Vice President of Sales, Curazene and Vice President, Baylor Alumni Board of Advocates
  • Sher Isada, Junior, University Scholar, and Student Regent
  • Alan Lefever (B.A. '84), Director, Texas Baptist Historical Collection and member, Baylor Alumni Board of Advocates
  • Sandra Len, Associate Vice President, Operations and Financial Services, Advancement
  • Mark Lovvorn (B.B.A. '76, B.Acc. '77), Chairman and CEO Providence Bancshares Corporation, Dallas, TX and member, Baylor Board of Regents
  • Michael McFarland (B.B.A. '93, Ed.D. '05), Superintendent of Schools, Crowley Independent School District and member, Baylor Board of Regents
  • Bill Neilson, M.D., (B.A. '76), retired Associate Dean, Honors College and Clinical Professor, Medical Humanities
  • Michael Parrish, Ph.D. (B.A. '74, M.A. '76), Linden G. Bowers Professor of American History
  • Coretta Pittman, Ph.D., Associate Professor of English and Chair-Elect, Faculty Senate
  • Mia Moody-Ramirez, Ph.D. (M.S.Ed. '98, M.A. '01), Professor and Chair, Journalism, Public Relations and New Media
  • Marcus Sedberry, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Student-Athlete Development
  • Tyrha Lindsey-Warren, Ph.D., Clinical Assistant Professor of Marketing
  • Doug Weaver, Ph.D., Professor of Religion, Undergraduate Program Director and Director of Church-State Studies
  • Mya Ellington-Williams, Senior, member, Black Student Union
Ex-Officio Commission Members
  • Kristy Orr (J.D. '03), Baylor University Board Professional
  • Todd Copeland, Ph.D. (B.A. '90), Director, Advancement Marketing
  • Karen Kemp (B.B.A. '84, M.B.A. '85), Associate Vice President, University Marketing and Brand Strategy

We believe now is the time for Baylor, as a Christian university, to lead by listening and learning with humility about our past and from voices that have been unheard for years while also taking tangible steps forward. In addition to making an important and visible contribution to today's campus and Baylor community, the Commission's work will create a lasting legacy for future generations of Baylor Bears.
Thank you for your love and support of Baylor University.
Sincerely,
Mark Rountree
Chair, Board of Regents
Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D.
President

From a true Baylor friend:

"I have an idea. Get rid Of the liberal President that seems to wilt at the drop of a hat and any regent that feels the need to apologize for Baylor. IF they are embarrassed and feel the need to apologize then they should disassociate themselves with the organization. Those that don't feel the need to apologize can continue."
I'm a Bearbacker
PartyBear
There isnt a liberal president. There is one who stands up to racism however. You folks do yourselves no favors at all when you practically admit that racism is part of your doctrine and you have to defend it. There is a difference between right wingism and conservatism. Livingston is a right of center person who stands up to racism. I'm pretty sure she is a Republican based on a discussion I had with a common friend of hers. Remember she did it before when she called out the idiot former chair during the Briles firing when it turned out he had racist attituded surrounding all of that.

Incidentally this committee hardly looks like a cabal of multi ethnic folks yall were scared to death of. And even if it was, as I said from the beginning y'all''s verbal hysteria about changing the name of the school is and has been lunatic chatter.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

There isnt a liberal president. There is one who stands up to racism however. You folks do yourselves no favors at all when you practically admit that racism is part of your doctrine and you have to defend it. There is a difference between right wingism and conservatism. Livingston is a right of center person who stands up to racism. I'm pretty sure she is a Republican based on a discussion I had with a common friend of hers. Remember she did it before when she called out the idiot former chair during the Briles firing when it turned out he had racist attituded surrounding all of that.

She may end up rivaling Sloan and Lilley as the worst. President. Ever. Her most obvious fault is being absolutely gutless. She should stand up to the mob and the BOR.
PartyBear
What mob?
Shippou
PartyBear said:

What mob?
Ya know, those spooky leftists they can't identify
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

She may end up rivaling Sloan and Lilley as the worst. President. Ever. Her most obvious fault is being absolutely gutless. She should stand up to the mob and the BOR.
Actually, I am not surprised and this is not entirely her fault. She is going to go along to get along by design. The incestuous, sycophantic structure of our Board of Regents made this inevitble.

I am just so disappointed that these power hungry leaders of our school seem to be bending over backwards to appease the media mob than fight for the values and principles of Baylor. Am not sure this will be able to be reversed at this point. We shall see.

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
Every reason Baylor states for doing all of this is rooted in and cited to the Gospels and the teachings of Jesus as the authority . Just like every sermon or speech of Dr. King. Those are pretty much the values of Baylor as a Christian faith based institution.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

What mob?

Then why is she bending over if there is no mob pressure? She and the regents are gutless
PartyBear
I asked you what mob? Care to answer?
whitetrash
Osodecentx said:

Here's your diversity:

White: 10 (Mortenson, Adair, Allison, Gochis, Houser, Lefever, Lovvorn, Neilson, Parrish, Weaver)

Black: 13 (Monroe, Abercrombie, Baldridge, Bogney, Evans, Foley, Hill, Hughes, McFarland, Pittman, Sedberry, Lindsey-Warren, Ellington-Williams)

Asian: 1 (Isada)

Hispanic: 2 (Lene, Moody-Ramirez)

On a campus that is approximately 65% white, 15% hispanic, 7-10% black, and 6% Asian. So yeah, they probably already have their draft written.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

Every reason Baylor states for doing all of this is rooted in and cited to the Gospels and the teachings of Jesus as the authority . Just like every sermon or speech of Dr. King.

Don't quote scripture, please. This is about history. All leaders in history had flaws. We should learn from history not erase it. Dr. MLK never tore down a statue.
PartyBear
I didnt quote scripture. Baylor does. Dr. King tore down alot more than statues.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

I asked you what mob? Care to answer?

Media and their fellow travelers
PartyBear
No one in the media has called on Baylor to do a thing.
boognish_bear
NeuroticBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Yep, this was inevitable. Baylor will be canceling its own organizations if they espouse Biblical doctrine that offends the left--all in the name of "equality".

This is the owner of the twitter account for the Young Conservatives of Texas at Baylor talking about his tweet that Baylor is looking into

Wichitabear
PartyBear said:

Incidentally this committee hardly looks like a cabal of multi ethnic folks yall were scared to death of. And even if it was, as I said from the beginning y'all''s verbal hysteria about changing the name of the school is and has been lunatic chatter.
Well let me just say this, chatter or not, there is no need to change our name. If we get that offended by the name, then perhaps you just need to go elsewhere. We can't change everything that offends us. There is plenty of music and movies that offend me. I just change the channel. This is exactly what is going to destroy us. Divide us as a country! It won't matter what me or others say, we will be considered racist for opening our mouths! Too easily offended.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
PartyBear said:

No one in the media has called on Baylor to do a thing.
Yes. That is the point. No need to go ahead and slash your own throat for something that may or may not be coming.

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
Baylor is not slashing its throat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.