Today's Trump voters are the George Wallace voters of 1968

3,407 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by riflebear
GoneGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In many ways, Trump voters are George Wallace voters from 1968.

Like Wallace, Trump campaigns on white fear and grievance over perceived threats to their traditional power.

Trump's base is bigger than Wallace's because (a) now there's Fox News and a proliferation of other rightwing outrage media to gin up the anger; and (b) union membership has declined, pulling more working class voters away from the Democratic Party and toward a populist like Trump who uses the real decline in their standard of living (the fruit of trickle-down economics) to con them into supporting even more trickle-down economics.

But 90% of the electorate was white in 1968 versus 68% now.
riflebear
FWBear
riflebear said:

Lol
Canada2017
Jinx 2 said:

Like Wallace, Trump campaigns on white fear and grievance over perceived threats to their traditional power.

Trump's base is bigger than Wallace's because (a) now there's Fox News and a proliferation of other rightwing outrage media to gin up the anger; and (b) union membership has declined, pulling more working class voters away from the Democratic Party and toward a populist like Trump who uses the real decline in their standard of living (the fruit of trickle-down economics) to con them into supporting even more trickle-down economics.

You are so full of **** .
whitetrash
Jinx 2 said:

GoneGirl
Boy, that one hit pay dirt.

Boys, at least George was faithful to Lurleen.
Flaming Moderate
"Everyone that disagrees with me is racist" is so 2012.
GoneGirl
Flaming Moderate said:

"Everyone who says Trump's a racist is wrong" is so 2016.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

How can you in good conscience post such trash? I have come to expect better from you.

Not sure there is anyone here that would not agree that George Wallace was a racist.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Canada2017
Flaming Moderate said:

Same card...different election .
corncob pipe
cinque
Canada2017 said:

Jinx 2 said:

You are so full of **** .

That's your counter argument?
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

How can you in good conscience post such trash? I have come to expect better from you.

Seriously ?

The old neurotic has long been a man hating , full on racist .
Bruin
Jinx 2 said:

You are nothing but a bitter old harridan that just throws whatever BS that crosses your addled brain.
cinque
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Not sure there is anyone here that would not agree that George Wallace was a racist.

Have you seen the national polls on Trump's racism?
He's winning!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
corncob pipe said:

I am guessing this guy wasn't jogging in Minneapolis or Chicago?

-- Barack Obama
riflebear
corncob pipe said:

AMEN

But that would mean Democrat party would not exist anymore since their only platform is identity politics.
riflebear
Jinx 2 said:

Boy, that one hit pay dirt.

Boys, at least George was faithful to Lurleen.
I think you need to look up the definition of pay dirt. Having 2 people respond to a ridiculous post making fun of you does not mean 'pay dirt'.
Robert Wilson
I think ol' Jinxy took a class: How to Never Make Any Friends and Make Certain to Influence No One.
corncob pipe
Whiskey Pete
Jinx 2 said:

You need meds
cinque
Can anybody point out where jinx erred in her post?
riflebear
riflebear
Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"Everyone who says Trump's a racist is wrong" is so 2016.
What if I told you there was a man who....

- Hung out w/ black celebrities his entire career
- Dated a black girl

- Hired an Executive black woman to lead his company
- Helped pass legislation to help inner city minorities with prison reform
- Helped pass legislation that would literally give hundreds of billions to improve inner city development
- Helped pass legislation to improve school choice for inner city kids
- Helped make policy to improve job opportunities for minorities & give them the lowest unemployment ever
- Recently announced he would put up several statues of black leaders from throughout our history

And after all of this liberals accused him of being a racist. Welcome to the platform of the Democrat party - it doesn't matter what you do if you are a member of the GOP party you all always be a racist if you run for elected office. This isn't about Trump, it's about wanting back power and as I've said before, it wouldn't matter who is President for the GOP - they would be doing the EXACT same thing to that person.

It must suck to wake up every morning and only see the color of someone's skin and not the content of their character....
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Trump is tweeting at a black NASCAR driver.

He's making every racist dog whistle he possibly can, apparently because he thinks his only chance is fearmongering.

Trump's appeal to racists has been evident on this site since the run-up to the 2016 election. Whatever policy differences I had with Bush, Cheney and Romney, none of them were racists, and Cheney quietly, tersely supported his lesbian daughter, Mary, at least until her sister Liz threw her under the bus. None of those men pandered to bigots. Trump does it on a daily basis.
GoneGirl
HashTag said:

Jinx 2 said:

You need meds
You need to wake up and smell the coffee.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

He's making every racist dog whistle he possibly can, apparently because he thinks his only chance is fearmongering.

Trump's appeal to racists has been evident on this site since the run-up to the 2016 election. Whatever policy differences I had with Bush, Cheney and Romney, none of them were racists, and Cheney quietly, tersely supported his lesbian daughter, Mary, at least until her sister Liz threw her under the bus. None of those men pandered to bigots. Trump does it on a daily basis.
We get it. If you don't vote Democrat, you are a racist! Most folks in the middle like me are really getting tired of that crap.

-- Barack Obama
Whiskey Pete
Jinx 2 said:

HashTag said:

Jinx 2 said:

You need meds
A friend of mine is a great psychologist, I'm sure he can help with your TDS and delusions
riflebear
Has Trump ever spoke at a funeral for a past KKK Wizard?

Malbec
Today's Joe Biden voters are the Gus Hall voters of 1980.
corncob pipe
Malbec said:

Today's Joe Biden voters are the Gus Hall voters of 1980.

But ... without malarkey!!
PartyBear
riflebear said:

Has Trump ever spoke at a funeral for a past KKK Wizard?

I'm sure he wanted to speak at Daddy's if Mommy would have let him.
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

We get it. If you don't vote Democrat, you are a racist! Most folks in the middle like me are really getting tired of that crap.
There are plenty of non-racist Republicans. Romney is in that camp.

Trump, unfortunately, is aligned with the ones like Roy Moore and Kristy Noem, who left congress to run for governor of her state, but was called out as a racist by Native Americans in her state when she sponsored a bill they considered racist.
https://www.indianz.com/News/2018/01/31/gop-cosponsor-of-bill-with-racist-undert.asp

And he's allowed the Republicans to become the "white grievance party" during this election. (Go ahead, count the number of white grievance threads started on Sicem by the usual suspsects. I dare you.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/opinion/trump-republicans-racism.html

The Republican Party is "just a white grievance party."

Race, Stevens writes,
Quote:

has defined the modern Republican Party. After Goldwater carried only southern states and received a record low of 7 percent of the black vote, the party faced a basic choice: do what was necessary to appeal to more nonwhite voters, or build a party to win with white voters. It chose the latter, and when most successfully executed, a race-based strategy was the foundation of many of the Republican Party's biggest victories, from Nixon to Trump.
In fact, Stevens told me, "race is the original sin of the modern Republican Party:"
Quote:

With Trump, the Party has grown comfortable as a white grievance party. Is that racist? Yes, I think it is. Are 63 million plus people who supported Trump racist? No, absolutely not. But to support Trump is to make peace with white grievance and hate.
GoneGirl
HashTag said:

Jinx 2 said:

HashTag said:

Jinx 2 said:

You need meds
A friend of mine is a great psychologist, I'm sure he can help with your TDS and delusions
Let me know when he's cured yours, and I'll consider talking to him.

The biggest suffers of Trump Derangement Syndrome are his supporters, because with each passing day, he renders himself less relevant to the nation's future.
Whiskey Pete
Jinx 2 said:

HashTag said:

Jinx 2 said:

HashTag said:

Jinx 2 said:

You need meds
Let me know when he's cured yours, and I'll consider talking to him.

The biggest suffers of Trump Derangement Syndrome are his supporters, because with each passing day, he renders himself less relevant to the nation's future.
If Trump renders himself less relevant, then why do you get so triggered so often? Classic TDS.

You're the biggest hypocrite on this board with no principled guidance

#metoobutonlysometimes
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.